THE Epson 5050UB/6050UB Thread - Page 83 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1280Likes

post #2461 of 4366 Old 07-24-2019, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post
I don't really have room on the walls, around the screen. The orange tape is what a 125" screen would look like.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I don't have any velvet on my actual screen wall but you wouldn't be able to tell I mean if you actually are aligning your projector with your screen you shouldn't have much overshoot at all so having velvet on the actual screen wall in my opinion is highly overrated it is where the light is reflecting such as the ceiling and the side walls and the floor to a lesser degree where you really get the benefit by reducing the light Reflections back onto your screen from those surfaces

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 4366 Old 07-24-2019, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaric View Post
I'd actually avoid black paint. It's messy, time consuming, needs multiple coats and a sod to cover over if you need to later. Add to that it doesn't even perform particularly well and it's a bit of a throw back to earlier days of Home Cinema!!!

Go for black velvet/velour fabric - Much better light absorbency than ANY paint and gives a little sound quality boost. You can get pretty cheap rolls of fabric and staple gun the top and mostly let it drape for a cheap and cheerful approach or go to town. It really makes an incredible difference, particularly the screen wall and back to where you view!

I won't go near paint ever again for cinema stuff!
+1

If you are not able to go with the Velvet I would go with a flat darker color paint that is pleasing to the eye really any dark flat matte paint is going to be the same reflective value as black. The real benefits start with putting velvet on the walls and ceiling rather than a darker or black paint. Going black doesn't really give you any added benefit over a darker color it just makes it harder to paint over in the future when you go to sell your home.

post #2463 of 4366 Old 07-24-2019, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't really have room on the walls, around the screen. The orange tape is what a 125" screen would look like.

Here is a picture as I mentioned before my side walls and ceiling are covered in velvet but the floor is a dark blue carpet and the actual screen wall is painted in a mat flat dark blue and honestly you can't even see that there is a wall there it kind of just floats.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2464 of 4366 Old 07-24-2019, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 5
The room I'm doing will by a dedicated theater room so I really don't plan on changing colors ever again, but the peppercorn color looks really nice. I will probably go with that color instead. Is that peppercorn color a Sherwin Williams? What about the trim and my set of double doors? I would hate to leave them white and have them be too reflective. What would be a good dark contrast color? I will have black sconses on the walls as my light source.

Thanks again
post #2465 of 4366 Old 07-24-2019, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mon2479 View Post
The room I'm doing will by a dedicated theater room so I really don't plan on changing colors ever again, but the peppercorn color looks really nice. I will probably go with that color instead. Is that peppercorn color a Sherwin Williams? What about the trim and my set of double doors? I would hate to leave them white and have them be too reflective. What would be a good dark contrast color? I will have black sconses on the walls as my light source.

Thanks again
It looks like you are going with a 2:35 to 1 screen so I don't think you'll get much light reflection off of your white trim at the bottom either on the screen wall or the side walls. I would put a curtain rod above your double doors with two velvet curtains that you can just pull together after you close the doors behind you. Glass obviously is very reflective for both light and sound. As well as the white paint on your doors.

post #2466 of 4366 Old 07-24-2019, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mon2479 View Post

Thanks again
Just make sure when you are measuring for your screen you are using the dimensions the screen manufacturer gave you especially if you are going to have a bezel around the screen it increases the dimensions by 1 and 1/2 to 3 inch all the way around

post #2467 of 4366 Old 07-24-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
My ceilings are really dark with the Peppercorn color, so you'd still suggest the black velvet or velour?

The reason I suggested doing the ceiling in black velour/velvet is that it's probably the one which makes the most noticeable difference but of course with each bit you do you will see a noticeable improvement is black levels and contrast. Your's is a proper family room which would require agreement from the wife/partner and to be honest your room looks lovely, it's really the first 6ft on wall/ceiling that makes the most benefit but who here want to only do that much of their walls were as doing the ceiling not only benefits the projector image but makes a feature of the room.

Number one thing I would do in your room is the screen wall in velvet/velour and the ceiling, the benefit is huge.
Alaric and CallingMrBenzo like this.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #2468 of 4366 Old 07-24-2019, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Here's a few. It's definitely darker in person. The camera seems to make them look a little lighter. The pic that has the big movie reel picture on the wall, is probably the closest to the real color. It looks super rich in person. You'll love it.

Looks great! Sherwin Williams Peppercorn is a great color and your room looks fantastic! I'm still considering something in the darker grey or black shade. I'll post pictures in the media room build thread when I'm done.
post #2469 of 4366 Old 07-24-2019, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by drober30 View Post
Looks great! Sherwin Williams Peppercorn is a great color and your room looks fantastic! I'm still considering something in the darker grey or black shade. I'll post pictures in the media room build thread when I'm done.
Thanks! I'm super happy the way it turned out.

post #2470 of 4366 Old 07-24-2019, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@biglen here’s what I did to my room.

First the screen wall
Before

After

Then I progressed along the sides and the ceiling, first about 6ft back but eventually to 10ft back.

This comparison is probably the best for showing how light absorbent black velour is.

Notice how the shelf has completely disappeared.
CallingMrBenzo likes this.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)

Last edited by Luminated67; 07-24-2019 at 12:36 PM.
post #2471 of 4366 Old 07-24-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 33
For everyone asking about how 3D is with the 5050UB, I can finally give some feedback. Very subjective feedback, too.

Rooms style: Completely dark dedicated Theater room. 11 x 17 feet.
Glasses: Samsung 5150 active
Screen size: 106". Seating distance is about 9' or so.

This is my first time doing "real" 3D at home. I watched some scenes in Tron Legacy and watched some scenes in Coraline. Not only is Coraline a better movie, but the 3D I felt was better all-around.

The Epson 5050 automatically goes into a 3D color mode when it detects a 3D signal. I found whatever it switched to (I think "Dynamic 3D") I found pretty bright and good. I think "Cinema 3D" was the other color mode, which creates a slightly dimmer image. The only thing I did in the menus was to change my screen size to 110" instead of 100" (I have a 106" screen, so I felt that 110" is closer to what I actually have). Frame interpolation automatically gets thrown on...and I'm not too sure how I feel about it...I think in 3D it works but for 2D images I absolutely hate it. I'll leave it on for now in 3D.

I get absolutely zero crosstalk. No ghosting. Things looked very good as far as the colors and the depth is concerned.

What I did notice that I wasn't expecting was a slight strain on my eyes. I tended to remember watching 3D movies in theaters to have zero strain--but it was many years ago since, so maybe it's normal to have some slight strain? I'm not sure where the strain is coming from--maybe by the shutter action of the Samsung 5150 glasses, or maybe simply because I'm always trying to focus on things that are further away (but not really further away) so may eyes are having to do "work".

I have some official Epson glasses on the way, so I'm curious to see how those perform.

I wouldn't call the strain "bad", but it almost felt as it does watching old-school 3D (magenta and blue filter), but with really nice and beautiful colors and way more consistent timing.

Take it for what it's worth! No ghosting, but I'm a little curious as to why my eyes didn't feel "relaxed".

Last edited by FendersRule; 07-24-2019 at 01:31 PM.
post #2472 of 4366 Old 07-24-2019, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule View Post
What I did notice that I wasn't expecting was a slight strain on my eyes. I tended to remember watching 3D movies in theaters to have zero strain--but it was many years ago since, so maybe it's normal to have some slight strain? I'm not sure where the strain is coming from--maybe by the shutter action of the Samsung 5150 glasses, or maybe simply because I'm always trying to focus on things that are further away (but not really further away) so may eyes are having to do "work".

I love the 3D image from this projector, but I think its the active glasses that really suck the life out of my brain...big headaches after 20min or so. Never had that issue with passive 3D at the theater or with my previous TV (Vizio). Unfortunately I rarely watch 3D on the projector because of it. Then again, maybe I'm just getting old...had to get rid of my PSVR for the same reason.

Epson HC5050UB | 110" DEA Infinity Edge FF | Marantz NR-1607 | Kodi HTPC | Panasonic DP-UB820 | PS4 Pro
JimK
post #2473 of 4366 Old 07-24-2019, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
For everyone asking about how 3D is with the 5050UB, I can finally give some feedback. Very subjective feedback, too.

Rooms style: Completely dark dedicated Theater room. 11 x 17 feet.
Glasses: Samsung 5150 active
Screen size: 106". Seating distance is about 9' or so.

This is my first time doing "real" 3D at home. I watched some scenes in Tron Legacy and watched some scenes in Coraline. Not only is Coraline a better movie, but the 3D I felt was better all-around.

The Epson 5050 automatically goes into a 3D color mode when it detects a 3D signal. I found whatever it switched to (I think "Dynamic 3D") I found pretty bright and good. I think "Cinema 3D" was the other color mode, which creates a slightly dimmer image. The only thing I did in the menus was to change my screen size to 110" instead of 100" (I have a 106" screen, so I felt that 110" is closer to what I actually have). Frame interpolation automatically gets thrown on...and I'm not too sure how I feel about it...I think in 3D it works but for 2D images I absolutely hate it. I'll leave it on for now in 3D.

I get absolutely zero crosstalk. No ghosting. Things looked very good as far as the colors and the depth is concerned.

I have some official Epson glasses on the way, so I'm curious to see how those perform.

I wouldn't call the strain "bad", but it almost felt as it does watching old-school 3D (magenta and blue filter), but with really nice and beautiful colors and way more consistent timing.

Take it for what it's worth! No ghosting, but I'm a little curious as to why my eyes didn't feel "relaxed".
I've had active 3D for awhile (I had Nvidia's 3D vision back when it was announced) and one thing I can say is that Active 3D takes time to adjust to in comparison to passive. Once you get fully adjusted it's fine, but the first so many movies you watch that way will make your eyes feel tired. It's primarily caused by the flicker of the lenses as far as I know.

My advice is to "ease" your eyes into active. You can do so by changing the 3D settings and lower the 3D slider til your eyes are adjusted. It helps out dramatically.

Last edited by STL D; 07-24-2019 at 05:07 PM.
post #2474 of 4366 Old 07-24-2019, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL D View Post
I've had active 3D for awhile (I had Nvidia's 3D vision back when it was announced) and one thing I can say is that Active 3D takes time to adjust to in comparison to passive. Once you get fully adjusted it's fine, but the first so many movies you watch that way will make your eyes feel tired. It's primarily caused by the flicker of the lenses as far as I know.

My advice is to "ease" your eyes into active. You can do so by changing the 3D settings and lower the 3D slider til your eyes are adjusted. It helps out dramatically.
How about you, Alaric? Have you noticed any eye strain when watching 3D on the Epson? I haven't tried any active glasses on home projectors yet, but have no problems on my LG tv with the passive glasses. The only cinema movie I watched with active glasses was Avatar and had no problems with it. I do wish that projector manufacturers would make passive projectors. I know it's possible as LG had one years ago. It's said that the active are better, but dimmer. Can't wait til James Cameron gives us glasses-less 3D.
post #2475 of 4366 Old 07-24-2019, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
I'm thinking about getting the 5050 also, and that is concerning since I game and watch sports. Can you please report back and let us know if you have that issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drober30 View Post
Do you have pictures posted of your movie room in peppercorn? I would really like to see what it looks like, I am having a tough time deciding what color to paint my basement/theater area and peppercorn is one of my choices.
peppercorn by which paint company? A paint called peppercorn could look very different depending on who makes it.
post #2476 of 4366 Old 07-24-2019, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post
peppercorn by which paint company? A paint called peppercorn could look very different depending on who makes it.
This :

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/hom...ngColors&p=PS0

Viche likes this.
post #2477 of 4366 Old 07-24-2019, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Luminated67, that looks awesome !

Luminated67 likes this.
post #2478 of 4366 Old 07-24-2019, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Will the 3D glasses I have for my Sony XBR-65X850C work on the Epson?

post #2479 of 4366 Old 07-25-2019, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach250 View Post
Sorry, ignore that piece, I had edited out a mistake I made complaining about the remote not working. Theater room is basically pitch black at the moment and I had put the batteries in backwards...felt like I a moron when I noticed.

I still need to figure out what is going on with my video card causing the pink and green dots. I plugged in a laptop with the same resolution, refresh rate, and bit depth and the dots didn't appear so the cable is good. Weird thing is it doesn't happen when I plug my computer in to my 4k LG OLED downstairs in my living room.
If you could would you upgrade to the 6050 for about $500 more (potentially a restocking fee of about $500 returning the 5050)?
$250 for an extra bulb and then $250 for one more year of warranty, "hand-picked lens" and mount (when I already have a mount)?
It's largely pointless to upgrade to the 6050, frankly at the speed things are changing there is a good chance of swapping this unit around the 2 year mark and before needing another bulb. While the 6050 might hold is value better the 5050 likely can't lose more than about a grand over 2 years. So you might be able to upgrade, so cost value balance is key. The 5050 is just too good. I use about ~1000 hours of bulb life over 2 years from my experience so that means the included Bulb should easily out live its useful life span for us. Also while for some its not a benefit, I'm happy the projector is white.

Also to add, I've found those issues dots and problems with non fiber HDMI but I have nearly 30-40 foot run. As for the weird motion! I've got a sort of answer to that. If you mismatch the frame rate of the device playing to the media you will very much notice some weird interpolation and motion. Make sure that your source is progressive and matched up to the media it is playing. This judder will happen in all cases including even more with computers. I will often change the frame rate of the source to make sure it is a perfect match.

Last edited by DocOrange88; 07-25-2019 at 09:05 AM.
post #2480 of 4366 Old 07-25-2019, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
After all this talk about painting our rooms black or peppercorn or using black velvet, I got thinking about the 5050 being white and was curious if anyone has turned their 5050 from white to black. I thought about getting some big fat sharpies and going to town, it might take a few applications of permanent marker, but it could work......right?
post #2481 of 4366 Old 07-25-2019, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Hi Friends,

Finally pulled the trigger on TW-9400W (6050UB with Wireless HDMI kit). I live in the UK and am looking for suitable and inexpensive 3D glasses. Please can someone advise on this.
post #2482 of 4366 Old 07-25-2019, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lganz316 View Post
Hi Friends,

Finally pulled the trigger on TW-9400W (6050UB with Wireless HDMI kit). I live in the UK and am looking for suitable and inexpensive 3D glasses. Please can someone advise on this.
Speak with @Alaric he’s the guy to talk to on this subject.
lganz316 likes this.

post #2483 of 4366 Old 07-26-2019, 03:56 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
Speak with @Alaric he’s the guy to talk to on this subject.
https://sites.google.com/view/epson-tw9400/home FAQ

I measured some of the glasses inc Epsons

Same Q on Avforums - Though i must admit i've answered it a few times here and there!

Depends on what you want from them. There are pluses and minuses from all the brands i tested, be it cost, colour, light output etc
Luminated67 likes this.

Sound - Marantz SR6011 (pre/atmos), Yamaha Z9, Mirage Om-6's, Om-C2's, 6x Om-R2's, 4x Nanosat (atmos), Dual Paradigim Servo 15's
Additional - MiniDSP : DDRC-88a, 2x4HD
Source -Panasonic DP-UB420, Toshiba HD-XE1, Sony SCD-XE620
Vision - Epson TW9400, eecolour Lut Box, 120" Spitfire Acoustically Transparent Screen
post #2484 of 4366 Old 07-26-2019, 04:04 AM

Quote:

If you have a Pixar 3D disc. Most of them have an optimizer on them and it's a 3D enhanced version!!!

It's great for tweaking your settings to reduce cross talk, setting contrast and brightness and bit depth/size - If these are out then it is certainly possible to get cross talk and other irritations which may be periphery and could be causing strain etc.

There is also an adjustment period and some people are more prone, it also may be a hint that your eyesight could need checking
lganz316 likes this.

Sound - Marantz SR6011 (pre/atmos), Yamaha Z9, Mirage Om-6's, Om-C2's, 6x Om-R2's, 4x Nanosat (atmos), Dual Paradigim Servo 15's
Vision - Epson TW9400, eecolour Lut Box, 120" Spitfire Acoustically Transparent Screen
post #2485 of 4366 Old 07-26-2019, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBoy View Post
How about you, Alaric? Have you noticed any eye strain when watching 3D on the Epson? I haven't tried any active glasses on home projectors yet, but have no problems on my LG tv with the passive glasses. The only cinema movie I watched with active glasses was Avatar and had no problems with it. I do wish that projector manufacturers would make passive projectors. I know it's possible as LG had one years ago. It's said that the active are better, but dimmer. Can't wait til James Cameron gives us glasses-less 3D.
I've had little issues. I find the Epson to be awesome for 3D once set correctly. I had a old Mitsubishi HC5/HC900 which "did" 3D but could never find a setting/glasses combo that i could watch more than about 15mins. Just setting up the Epson for 3D i accidentally watched a whole movie!!! Night and day between bad 3D and good 3D

I've tried a few glasses, which I've detailed in the FAQ i made. Some are better than others for me. I found the nice light cheap Samsung ones, whilst being good, to not have enough light blocking around the edges.
I find heavier ones need a nose bridge break and some work better with my glasses than others.

I'd also mention that the movies VARY incredibly. A good 3D movie is stunning, a poor one a bit lackluster. Avatar is breathtaking. Judge Dredd awesome and I really like some of the Pixar movies in 3D - Inside out / Car 3 and Planes have all become a bit of a guilty pleasure!!!

post #2486 of 4366 Old 07-26-2019, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Have to ask if anyone has come across the random blue and orange flashing lights? This occured as I was stopping a 4k hdr movie where the screen went from movie image to dark screenshot.. in this mode it just brings me to a black blank screen...then thinking my bluray player i noticed the 5050 was running fan loud...i did follow the epson guidelines... Indicating this may be bulb running out or damaged... But followed directions..and unplugged power ..gave 5min and plugged back in.. and pj worked with image working... Ive only placed about 190hrs so far.. so hoping this just a random occurance.... My epson 5010 would randomly have these glitches but hoping its not a bulb issue..
zenoran likes this.
post #2487 of 4366 Old 07-26-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asolor78 View Post
Have to ask if anyone has come across the random blue and orange flashing lights? This occured as I was stopping a 4k hdr movie where the screen went from movie image to dark screenshot.. in this mode it just brings me to a black blank screen...then thinking my bluray player i noticed the 5050 was running fan loud...i did follow the epson guidelines... Indicating this may be bulb running out or damaged... But followed directions..and unplugged power ..gave 5min and plugged back in.. and pj worked with image working... Ive only placed about 190hrs so far.. so hoping this just a random occurance.... My epson 5010 would randomly have these glitches but hoping its not a bulb issue..
I've occasionally had a LONG start up....It switches on and high fan noise for a minute or so and then the Epson logo comes up and away I go. It doesn't always do it. Think once i actually pulled the plug

post #2488 of 4366 Old 07-27-2019, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Is it worth getting a projector if I can't paint my walls dark? It will have complete light control but white walls. I dont want to invest if my experience will be poor.
post #2489 of 4366 Old 07-27-2019, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Hindman View Post
Is it worth getting a projector if I can't paint my walls dark? It will have complete light control but white walls. I dont want to invest if my experience will be poor.
Absolutely! With complete light control the lights will be off when watching movies.

White walls are not as detrimental as ambient light shinning on the screen. I have had white walls in my theater basement area for fifteen years and it’s been fine but I am in the process of redoing it and will be painting them darker.

If this is serving as a TV in a living room, then you can start to look at ALR screen options which allows the picture to look good with lights on. Those screens are more expensive.
lganz316 likes this.
post #2490 of 4366 Old 07-27-2019, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Drywall up... Time for a test run. Audience is 8 years old so allowed him to pick the show. It's shifted high because the projector was about 6 feet off the ground for testing purposes only. Actual screen will be much lower.

Just a few weeks left until finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
--Sclaws and CallingMrBenzo like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5050 , Epson , frame interpolation , motion smoothing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page