THE Epson 5050UB/6050UB Thread - Page 90 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1198Likes

post #2671 of 3885 Old 08-15-2019, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2067 Post(s)
Liked: 1365
Quote:
Originally Posted by reechings View Post
So right now I can get the 6050UB or the JVC X790R for the same price. I am leaning towards the 6050 as it sounds like it is brighter if you're not going to use the digital cinema filter and it is supposed to have a nice HDR pop. It is also nice that it comes with a mount and an extra bulb. From my research it sounds like the JVC may have better blacks if you have the theatre room completely blacked out. This is tempting as I do like sci-fi and dark shows like game of thrones. That being said I am kind of tired of always having to have every single light turned off when I want to watch some sports or just regular TV shows. Is anybody here using the 5050/6050 with some light in the room, maybe some pot lights along the sides etc. and does it work well still? Any thoughts on the JVC? (I know which thread I'm in lol)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
For that application it's a tough call. I had a JVC RS520 (which is essentially the same projector) and have seen 5050UB (finally got around to demoing it) and several 5040UBs.

The Epson is definitely going to have more usable brightness for a situation where there are lights on. The tone controls for HDR on the new Epson models is better than what the JVC has. The Epson has less expensive bulbs.

The JVC has better optics. The contrast and black floor will be much darker than the Epson (4000-6000:1 native vs. 35,000-40,000:1 native). The color filter on the JVC (which I prefer) doesn't have the lumen hit it does on the Epson, so full P3 coverage is attainable on a moderately sized screen with good brightness (the JVC still has about 1200-1400 calibrated lumens with filter). The JVC will have slightly better motion handling and a smoother more film like look due to the LCoS panels vs. LCD.

If you don't have a room where you'll be able to appreciate the contrast difference (white walls, light pollution, etc) of the JVC and do watch a lot of content with the lights on, the Epson is a very compelling option. If you do have a well light controlled room and find yourself watching a lot of movies with the lights out, the JVC is going to be tough to beat. Though to get the most out of the JVC with 4K/HDR it will require fiddling with their tone controls or pairing it with something like the Panasonic UB820. Definitely not as smooth or easy as the new Epson implementation.

Both projectors have lens memory and generous lens shift. Both are 1080 panels being shifted for extra resolution. So no advantage either way.

So in conclusion, for viewing with the lights on, a very large screen (150+") or a room that won't show the contrast advantages the Epson is an excellent choice. If you watch a lot of movies and have a room that will allow you to appreciate the differences in contrast the JVC is going to put up a picture few projectors will beat.

Last edited by jeahrens; 08-15-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2672 of 3885 Old 08-15-2019, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
For that application it's a tough call. I had a JVC RS520 (which is essentially the same projector) and have seen 5050UB (finally got around to demoing it) and several 5040UBs.

The Epson is definitely going to have more usable brightness for a situation where there are lights on. The tone controls for HDR on the new Epson models is better than what the JVC has. The Epson has less expensive bulbs.

The JVC has better optics. The contrast and black floor will be much darker than the Epson (4000-6000:1 native vs. 35,000-40,000:1 native). The color filter on the JVC (which I prefer) doesn't have the lumen hit it does on the Epson, so full P3 coverage is attainable on a moderately sized screen with good brightness (the JVC still has about 1200-1400 calibrated lumens with filter). The JVC will have slightly better motion handling and a smoother more film like look due to the LCoS panels vs. LCD.

If you don't have a room where you'll be able to appreciate the contrast difference (white walls, light pollution, etc) of the JVC and do watch a lot of content with the lights on, the Epson is a very compelling option. If you do have a well light controlled room and find yourself watching a lot of movies with the lights out, the JVC is going to be tough to beat. Though to get the most out of the JVC with 4K/HDR it will require fiddling with their tone controls or pairing it with something like the Panasonic UB820. Definitely not as smooth or easy as the new Epson implementation.

Both projectors have lens memory and generous lens shift. Both are 1080 panels being shifted for extra resolution. So no advantage either way.

So in conclusion, for viewing with the lights on, a very large screen (150+") or a room that won't show the contrast advantages the Epson is an excellent choice. If you watch a lot of movies and have a room that will allow you to appreciate the differences in contrast the JVC is going to put up a picture few projectors will beat.
Darn this is a really hard decision, not a whole lot of those JVCs left and I would really love to have better black performance. Almost everything else points me towards the Epson because I have a feeling I won't use the filter on either projector and will appreciate the extra lumens. My room is around 16x14 so it's not massive and I'm planning to use a 135" screen so I think the JVC should be pretty bright too. Of course I don't like the idea of running it in high all the time especially with the expensive bulbs.

post #2673 of 3885 Old 08-15-2019, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I'm having some trouble to get the picture in focus on my tw9400 (6050UB). The picture always seems to be somewhat blurry. This is very noticeable when I'm in Windows (Using a PC as an input source for now. Core i5 1070ti). All pictograms on the desktop and the clock in the right corner is a little blurry. This is even more noticeable in 4k vs 1080p. The projector is about 18 feet away (on a shelf in the back of the room) from a 120" screen (painted on the wall). I'm using lens shift to some extent but not that much.

I did have the same problem with my older BenQ W1070. Although this seemed to be a focus uniformity problem in the projector since I could focus the right side just fine. Only the left side would always be somewhat out of focus. But on the 6050UB I cannot razor-sharp focus anywhere on the screen. Now I know special paint on the wall is not as good as a real screen but I doubt this is the problem since my former projector could razor-sharp focus on the right side.

I'm using the focus option and sharpness settings. Although sharpness does not seem to have any noticeable effect. I'm using a cheap HDMI cable directly connected to the projector. If my wall is not perfectly straight I still should be able to razor-sharp focus on some point of the wall either right or left. I would expect that in a higher resolution (4k vs 1080p) it would be less blurry but in 4k it's even worse (I can hardly see the time in the right corner).

Is there something I'm missing here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2674 of 3885 Old 08-15-2019, 11:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggydeen View Post
I'm having some trouble to get the picture in focus on my tw9400 (6050UB). The picture always seems to be somewhat blurry. This is very noticeable when I'm in Windows (Using a PC as an input source for now. Core i5 1070ti). All pictograms on the desktop and the clock in the right corner is a little blurry. This is even more noticeable in 4k vs 1080p. The projector is about 18 feet away (on a shelf in the back of the room) from a 120" screen (painted on the wall). I'm using lens shift to some extent but not that much.

I did have the same problem with my older BenQ W1070. Although this seemed to be a focus uniformity problem in the projector since I could focus the right side just fine. Only the left side would always be somewhat out of focus. But on the 6050UB I cannot razor-sharp focus anywhere on the screen. Now I know special paint on the wall is not as good as a real screen but I doubt this is the problem since my former projector could razor-sharp focus on the right side.

I'm using the focus option and sharpness settings. Although sharpness does not seem to have any noticeable effect. I'm using a cheap HDMI cable directly connected to the projector. If my wall is not perfectly straight I still should be able to razor-sharp focus on some point of the wall either right or left. I would expect that in a higher resolution (4k vs 1080p) it would be less blurry but in 4k it's even worse (I can hardly see the time in the right corner).

Are you streaming 4K or is it from a UHD disc?

Might be your display card not being up to the job, what might look great on a 24" display doesn't mean it will scale up to the same sharp image on a projector screen. Also your painted wall won't give as crisp an image as a dedicated screen should.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #2675 of 3885 Old 08-15-2019, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
Are you streaming 4K or is it from a UHD disc?

Might be your display card not being up to the job, what might look great on a 24" display doesn't mean it will scale up to the same sharp image on a projector screen. Also your painted wall won't give as crisp an image as a dedicated screen should.
I'm using mostly .mkv files. Might be the source (GPU) but it's capable of native 8k so I doubt that is the problem. Might be the wall but I could focus my older projector pretty well. The tw9400 seems to be more out of focus. But a dedicated screen would be better.
post #2676 of 3885 Old 08-16-2019, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I really need some help with mounting distance, my house is in the process of being built and we have electrical blue print walk through coming up and I am not sure where to have the electrical outlet installed on the ceiling. I've tried using the calculator on projectorcentral and I don't understand it. I was hoping someone here could.

My HT room is going to be 14ft 6in wide by 17ft long with 9ft ceilings. My thought was to use a 138" Silver Ticket white 2.35:1 screen(I'm done with the black bars on movies), it's 135.5" wide by 60.5" high. Could I ceiling mount the 5050UB at 15ft-15.5ft and have the outlet be at 16ft? Let me know my options please.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190816-090011.png
Views:	27
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	2603500  
post #2677 of 3885 Old 08-16-2019, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Darn this is a really hard decision, not a whole lot of those JVCs left and I would really love to have better black performance. Almost everything else points me towards the Epson because I have a feeling I won't use the filter on either projector and will appreciate the extra lumens. My room is around 16x14 so it's not massive and I'm planning to use a 135" screen so I think the JVC should be pretty bright too. Of course I don't like the idea of running it in high all the time especially with the expensive bulbs.

I used the filter on my RS520 on a 130" scope screen and use it on my NX7 now. I definitely appreciate the color volume it brings. I think you might be surprised on whether you end up using it or not.

Keep in mind just like with the projector, no dealer you have a good relationship with is going to charge MSRP for a JVC bulb. Granted they are still more expensive than Epson. High lamp on the JVC and medium power on the Epson are going to be likely realities with HDR. The RS520 was my first 4K projector and I was staunchly in the "low bulb only" crowd until the realities of HDR and BT2020 sunk in. High lamp just looked much nicer. Then I just quit caring. You only live once. Enjoy it how you want and buy a bulb if you need one. One thing to note is the latest JVC bulbs seem remarkably stable with users over 1000hrs reporting very little loss in output. Again, I don't feel like that negates the excellent pricing Epson has on their lamps, but it does make the more expensive pill a bit easier to swallow.

There's no real loser here. The Epson is an incredible value for what it offers. The JVC throws one of the best images I've seen and it's pretty incredible to see it at the price it is considering what they went for just a year ago.
reechings likes this.

post #2678 of 3885 Old 08-16-2019, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mon2479 View Post
I really need some help with mounting distance, my house is in the process of being built and we have electrical blue print walk through coming up and I am not sure where to have the electrical outlet installed on the ceiling. I've tried using the calculator on projectorcentral and I don't understand it. I was hoping someone here could.

My HT room is going to be 14ft 6in wide by 17ft long with 9ft ceilings. My thought was to use a 138" Silver Ticket white 2.35:1 screen(I'm done with the black bars on movies), it's 135.5" wide by 60.5" high. Could I ceiling mount the 5050UB at 15ft-15.5ft and have the outlet be at 16ft? Let me know my options please.

Thank you
For that size of screen the minimum throw distance from the PJ Lens to the screen is 14'9", the projector size is roughly 1.5 foot deep so you don't have a lot of play. The one advantage of having the zoom wide is you'll get a brighter image for HDR contain. So based on the above calculations I think the minimum distance you'd want to mount the ceiling mount would be 15.8ft as half the depth of the Projector is 8.5 inches.

If you drop your screen size down to a 125" CinemaScope screen your zoom would be a little less wide open, might be a better compromise. I'd suggestion mounting the projector first and throwing up a white sheet or if your wall is white projecting on to that to get a feel whether you need to bigger screen or not before buying because then it's too late.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)

Last edited by Luminated67; 08-16-2019 at 07:44 AM.
post #2679 of 3885 Old 08-16-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
I used the filter on my RS520 on a 130" scope screen and use it on my NX7 now. I definitely appreciate the color volume it brings. I think you might be surprised on whether you end up using it or not.

Keep in mind just like with the projector, no dealer you have a good relationship with is going to charge MSRP for a JVC bulb. Granted they are still more expensive than Epson. High lamp on the JVC and medium power on the Epson are going to be likely realities with HDR. The RS520 was my first 4K projector and I was staunchly in the "low bulb only" crowd until the realities of HDR and BT2020 sunk in. High lamp just looked much nicer. Then I just quit caring. You only live once. Enjoy it how you want and buy a bulb if you need one. One thing to note is the latest JVC bulbs seem remarkably stable with users over 1000hrs reporting very little loss in output. Again, I don't feel like that negates the excellent pricing Epson has on their lamps, but it does make the more expensive pill a bit easier to swallow.

There's no real loser here. The Epson is an incredible value for what it offers. The JVC throws one of the best images I've seen and it's pretty incredible to see it at the price it is considering what they went for just a year ago.
Thanks for your input, I have started considering the NX-5 as I like the idea of not having to use e-shifting at all. So you have to run your NX-7 in high for HDR? How loud is that? Can the NX-7 handle a little bit of light in the room for watching sports etc.?

Sorry for JVC talk in Epson thread

CallingMrBenzo likes this.
post #2680 of 3885 Old 08-16-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you
For that size of screen the minimum throw distance from the PJ Lens to the screen is 14'9", the projector size is roughly 1.5 foot deep so you don't have a lot of play. The one advantage of having the zoom wide is you'll get a brighter image for HDR contain. So based on the above calculations I think the minimum distance you'd want to mount the ceiling mount would be 15.8ft as half the depth of the Projector is 8.5 inches.

If you drop your screen size down to a 125" CinemaScope screen your zoom would be a little less wide open, might be a better compromise. I'd suggestion mounting the projector first and throwing up a white sheet or if your wall is white projecting on to that to get a feel whether you need to bigger screen or not before buying because then it's too late.
The 125" screen was another option I thought about, at what distance would the PJ have to be? Is the mounting distance the lense or the mounting point, like the pole.....if that makes sense?
post #2681 of 3885 Old 08-16-2019, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Thanks for the replies,I look forward to seeing what it looks like. Sounds like only a little bit of light is OK with the 6050 so would probably be a no go with the JVC.

On a side note a refurb 5040 is on for only $1500 CDN which is tempting but I think all the fooling around with HDMI bandwidth issues would get annoying quickly.

Does anyone know why my post was deleted but not this one? I assumed it was because price was vaguely mentioned. What did I do wrong? Just trying to learn for next time, thanks.

I was trying to help out a previous poster letting him know what kind of discount % he might expect.
post #2682 of 3885 Old 08-16-2019, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Just ordered 6050 from AVS. If I'm running one HDMI from pre/pro to 6050, any reason to run the second HDMI? I've already bought the cable but not sure the purpose, except maybe a backup if the first goes bad. Same for Ethernet cable, what purpose would it serve if everything goes through pre/pro HDMI? Thanks.

Epson Pro Cinema 6050 Projector, Screen TBD, Onkyo DX-C390 Six-Disk CD Changer
Triad Silver Speakers (11 in a 7.2.4 configuration), 2 JTR 118HT Subwoofers
Yamaha CX-A5200 11 Channel Processor, Monoprice Monolith 11 Channel Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Blu-ray, Sony BDX-BP57 Blu-ray, Oppo DV-981HD, Harmony Elite Remote
post #2683 of 3885 Old 08-16-2019, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The 125" screen was another option I thought about, at what distance would the PJ have to be? Is the mounting distance the lense or the mounting point, like the pole.....if that makes sense?
For the 138” screen the minimum distance is 14’9” that’s the distance from the screen to the lens. That’s why I suggested mounting you ceiling mount pole at 15’8” as this gives you a little wriggle room with the zoom though it’s very small which is why I feel the 125” scene would be a smarter option plus your mount wouldn’t need moved as it still works as is for the smaller screen.

post #2684 of 3885 Old 08-16-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for your input, I have started considering the NX-5 as I like the idea of not having to use e-shifting at all. So you have to run your NX-7 in high for HDR? How loud is that? Can the NX-7 handle a little bit of light in the room for watching sports etc.?

Sorry for JVC talk in Epson thread

I don't watch sports on my projector, but in the owners thread those that do seem very pleased with the results. I do run the NX7 in high lamp for HDR (though you don't have to I prefer it). The fan pitch in the newer chassis is much lower in frequency and a lot less noticeable to my ear than the previous model. Which was a pleasant surprise. Though I do think both the Epson and e-shift JVC have manageable noise levels in medium and high lamp respectively.

The NX lineup uses the same bulb as the previous generation, so no real difference in lumen output. So it's going to be the same with ambient light. Any projector will struggle here and it's purely a battle of lumens vs. the amount of ambient light hitting the screen. The Epson definitely has a lumen advantage and will outperform either JVC with ambient light simply because of this. I think the JVC does as well as any other projector with similar light output. An ALR screen is an option for ambient light, but I feel like it has too many compromises to recommend for movies. Sorry I can't give a better answer here. The impact of ambient light depends on a lot of things. How much is there? Does it hit the screen directly? And what kind of content is being displayed. I would guess that brightly lit sports programming with ambient light not directly hitting the screen is going to be manageable on the JVC (and better on the Epson). If you REALLY want this capability you might consider a 2 screen setup. An ALR screen just for lights on sports and normal screen for lights out movies. I've seen a setup with a 16:9 ALR screen for TV and Stewart 2.35:1 screen for movies. Works very well, but as you probably guessed it's not cheap.

The NX5 b-stock is very attractively priced vs. the options we're discussing (non b-stock isn't bad either). You'll lose the ability to use a color filter (the NX5 lacks the BT2020 filter along with the second iris vs. its higher priced siblings), but gain native 4K and the exceptional lens they've managed to put into this lineup. Granted the move to native 4K vs. e-shift isn't night and day, but there are definitely times you will notice. Either way you have a tough choice on your hands.
reechings and lganz316 like this.

post #2685 of 3885 Old 08-16-2019, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:

Hey there! I had the same issue with my first 5050. I even had that same issue with my previous four or five 5040's that I went through. I always chalked it up to either something in my environment or just limitations of the projector not having perfect uniformity. Well, I got lucky and hit the jackpot on my replacement 5050 that I received a few months back. I have a PERFECT uniform sharp picture. I never thought it would be possible. I run the same tests you have with your PC and one side or bottom corner would always be out of focus. Unfortunately I think it's just the luck of the draw. You might be able to complain enough to Epson that they might be willing to send a replacement. After seeing how much more enjoyable a perfectly uniform screen looks, it's hard to think about anything less. Trust me, your eyes are not deceiving you and there's nothing wrong with your setup .

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

post #2686 of 3885 Old 08-16-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
For the 138” screen the minimum distance is 14’️9” that’️s the distance from the screen to the lens. That’️s why I suggested mounting you ceiling mount pole at 15’️8” as this gives you a little wriggle room with the zoom though it’️s very small which is why I feel the 125” scene would be a smarter option plus your mount wouldn’️t need moved as it still works as is for the smaller screen.
Thanks, I will do the 125" screen and mount the pole at 15ft 8" and have the outlet at 16ft
post #2687 of 3885 Old 08-16-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, I will do the 125" screen and mount the pole at 15ft 8" and have the outlet at 16ft
Don’t despair because that 125” CinemaScope screen has the same width as a 139” 16:10 screen which is still big in any man’s book.

post #2688 of 3885 Old 08-16-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I don't watch sports on my projector, but in the owners thread those that do seem very pleased with the results. I do run the NX7 in high lamp for HDR (though you don't have to I prefer it). The fan pitch in the newer chassis is much lower in frequency and a lot less noticeable to my ear than the previous model. Which was a pleasant surprise. Though I do think both the Epson and e-shift JVC have manageable noise levels in medium and high lamp respectively.

The NX lineup uses the same bulb as the previous generation, so no real difference in lumen output. So it's going to be the same with ambient light. Any projector will struggle here and it's purely a battle of lumens vs. the amount of ambient light hitting the screen. The Epson definitely has a lumen advantage and will outperform either JVC with ambient light simply because of this. I think the JVC does as well as any other projector with similar light output. An ALR screen is an option for ambient light, but I feel like it has too many compromises to recommend for movies. Sorry I can't give a better answer here. The impact of ambient light depends on a lot of things. How much is there? Does it hit the screen directly? And what kind of content is being displayed. I would guess that brightly lit sports programming with ambient light not directly hitting the screen is going to be manageable on the JVC (and better on the Epson). If you REALLY want this capability you might consider a 2 screen setup. An ALR screen just for lights on sports and normal screen for lights out movies. I've seen a setup with a 16:9 ALR screen for TV and Stewart 2.35:1 screen for movies. Works very well, but as you probably guessed it's not cheap.

The NX5 b-stock is very attractively priced vs. the options we're discussing (non b-stock isn't bad either). You'll lose the ability to use a color filter (the NX5 lacks the BT2020 filter along with the second iris vs. its higher priced siblings), but gain native 4K and the exceptional lens they've managed to put into this lineup. Granted the move to native 4K vs. e-shift isn't night and day, but there are definitely times you will notice. Either way you have a tough choice on your hands.
Yeah I think I might just buy a new Elunevision Reference 4K 135" screen and test out the new setup with my Epson 3100. It's a bit of a light cannon but should hopefully give me some idea if I need the lumens of the 6050 or not to be happy.

post #2689 of 3885 Old 08-16-2019, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post
Quote:

Hey there! I had the same issue with my first 5050. I even had that same issue with my previous four or five 5040's that I went through. I always chalked it up to either something in my environment or just limitations of the projector not having perfect uniformity. Well, I got lucky and hit the jackpot on my replacement 5050 that I received a few months back. I have a PERFECT uniform sharp picture. I never thought it would be possible. I run the same tests you have with your PC and one side or bottom corner would always be out of focus. Unfortunately I think it's just the luck of the draw. You might be able to complain enough to Epson that they might be willing to send a replacement. After seeing how much more enjoyable a perfectly uniform screen looks, it's hard to think about anything less. Trust me, your eyes are not deceiving you and there's nothing wrong with your setup .

I agree that your eyes are not playing tricks, you should be able to get a perfectly focused picture and for thousands of dollars, there is no such thing as luck of the draw, I would absolutely demand it work right!
post #2690 of 3885 Old 08-16-2019, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Was most of the way through watching Shazam! (and enjoying this movie!), and the pj shut down. First time this has happened. Not many hours on the unit, so I'm surprised to already be having an issue.

A got a flashing blue status light and a flashing orange temp light.

Owner's Manual says:

"A fan or sensor has a problem; turn the projector off, unplug it, and contact Epson for help"

Anyone else had this happen, and if so, what happened next?!? (Besides contacting Epson, which is what I am doing next...)

And don't tell me the ending of the movie, please. It was just getting good! Shazam!
post #2691 of 3885 Old 08-16-2019, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys

I used the settings that was posted here a few pages back ( sdr, hdr natural and hdr bright )

I still want to tweak and check the settings. Any free tools or software out for this ? Especially for hdr and 4k?

I find the blacks are kind of grey. I'm using medium lamp mode, 138 screen of white on black spandex 0.7 gain.
post #2692 of 3885 Old 08-16-2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:

Hmm that sucks... I will contact Epson. I also notice it when watching movies and becomes very annoying once you notice it..

Edit:

Just did some more checking. It's just not sharp. It looks like there is some purple haze above the white pixels. This is very noticeable up close when using the panel alignment option. But I'm not sure this is caused by the out of focus picture or that something else is wrong. Aligning the panels does not seem to help. From a distance, it looks quite sharp but up close it just not sharp enough.

I also noticed that I cannot reset my lens shift. When using the "Reset Lens Positioning" option nothing happens. Also, the "Reset all to default" option does nothing. It does reset all setting I made (picture quality etc) but the lens shift is not reset to default. Maybe it's not an option to reset it to default?

Just attached a picture of the clock as an example. This is on 1080p. You can clearly see that the ^ symbol is not a straight line on left part. And the purple/red haze is also noticeable. This is the best focus I can get.

Unfortunately, Epson is closed today so can't call them. Will do on monday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190817_085716.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	309.0 KB
ID:	2603730  

Last edited by Biggydeen; 08-17-2019 at 12:55 AM.
post #2693 of 3885 Old 08-17-2019, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Hmm that sucks... I will contact Epson. I also notice it when watching movies and becomes very annoying once you notice it..

Edit:

Just did some more checking. It's just not sharp. It looks like there is some purple haze above the white pixels. This is very noticeable up close when using the panel alignment option. But I'm not sure this is caused by the out of focus picture or that something else is wrong. Aligning the panels does not seem to help. From a distance, it looks quite sharp but up close it just not sharp enough.

I also noticed that I cannot reset my lens shift. When using the "Reset Lens Positioning" option nothing happens. Also, the "Reset all to default" option does nothing. It does reset all setting I made (picture quality etc) but the lens shift is not reset to default. Maybe it's not an option to reset it to default?

Just attached a picture of the clock as an example. This is on 1080p. You can clearly see that the ^ symbol is not a straight line on left part. And the purple/red haze is also noticeable. This is the best focus I can get.

Have you used the pattern button to make sure the lens is focused properly?

Can you post pics?
post #2694 of 3885 Old 08-17-2019, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Quote:

Edit:

Does it look like this when displaying the menu/settings from the projector?

That definitely is not focused like it should be.

I would give Epson tech support a call and if the can’t fix it with a hard reset or something, I would be requesting a new projector.
post #2695 of 3885 Old 08-17-2019, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Quote:

Edit:

If you are using any KEYSTONE adjustments at all...even just by a minimum "1", it will distort all straight lines up close. That may also give it a purple haze. Remove all KEYSTONE settings to "0" and look at it again 👍
post #2696 of 3885 Old 08-17-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr bill View Post
Was most of the way through watching Shazam! (and enjoying this movie!), and the pj shut down. First time this has happened. Not many hours on the unit, so I'm surprised to already be having an issue.

A got a flashing blue status light and a flashing orange temp light.

Owner's Manual says:

"A fan or sensor has a problem; turn the projector off, unplug it, and contact Epson for help"

Anyone else had this happen, and if so, what happened next?!? (Besides contacting Epson, which is what I am doing next...)

And don't tell me the ending of the movie, please. It was just getting good! Shazam!

UPDATE:

Let it sit overnight. Plugged it back in, and I get the same flashing blue and orange lights; the 5050 is non-functioning. Darn.

Epson is sendind out a replacement refurb unit, though they tell me it will have a brand new lamp in it. Since I'm out past the 30 days since purchase, I do not get a new unit. Kinda bummed about that. I also politely asked for a 6050 upgrade and was politely turned down.

I was hopeful about their advertised 'overnight' shipping of the refurb unit, but given it's the weekend, the refurb won't be sent out until Monday, and I should receive it on Tuesday. So much for 'overnight'.

Very happy with the 5050 when it is working. Disappointed that my practically brand new 5050 is not working and already needs to be replaced. With a refurb...
post #2697 of 3885 Old 08-17-2019, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr bill View Post
UPDATE:

Let it sit overnight. Plugged it back in, and I get the same flashing blue and orange lights; the 5050 is non-functioning. Darn.

Epson is sendind out a replacement refurb unit, though they tell me it will have a brand new lamp in it. Since I'm out past the 30 days since purchase, I do not get a new unit. Kinda bummed about that. I also politely asked for a 6050 upgrade and was politely turned down.

I was hopeful about their advertised 'overnight' shipping of the refurb unit, but given it's the weekend, the refurb won't be sent out until Monday, and I should receive it on Tuesday. So much for 'overnight'.

Very happy with the 5050 when it is working. Disappointed that my practically brand new 5050 is not working and already needs to be replaced. With a refurb...

So you think you deserve a 6050 ? Interesting....I’m on my fourth 5050UB and I don’t deserve one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marantz 7011- Panasonic UB-820- Xbox One X - Epson HC 5050UB *Calibrated by ChadB* - Elite Screen's 2:35:1 AT 115' - PSA MTM 110's L/C/R - Mixed Surrounds - SVS Elevations Atmos X2 - Dual PSA TV36 B&C Neo's *MiniDSP HD* Took the Red Pill BEQ
post #2698 of 3885 Old 08-17-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallingMrBenzo View Post
So you think you deserve a 6050 ? Interesting....I’m on my fourth 5050UB and I don’t deserve one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well, it can't hurt to ask, right?!?
post #2699 of 3885 Old 08-17-2019, 08:46 AM

Any thoughts on using a slim border screen vs one with the 4 inch black border around? I like the look of the slim frame one but I notice right now with my 3100 that different sources sometimes jump around and it is also hard to get a perfect fit in the first place without having some oversplash. Anyone have any issues using slim frame screen with the 6050?

post #2700 of 3885 Old 08-17-2019, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson61 View Post
Anyone who has followed EPSON over the years knows the pro models are no better then the consumer model. Your paying a extra $1000 just for the black case' and the extras parts. But don't expect some killer improvement in performance.
If you want a Panamorph lens, you need the 6050 as only the 6050 has the Anamorphic Wide and Horizontal squeeze modes.

The 6050 also includes ISF modes that the 5050 does not have.

The mounting kit that is included with the 6050 is a $300 option on the 5050. The lamp is $300 from Epson. Back cable cover is typically a $50 accessory. The additional year of warranty is not just 1 year extended, but their premium rapid replacement warranty. It’s usually a $300 give or take warranty.

You're not paying $1000 for some gimmicks and a black case. For someone who wants Epson’s best HT lamp projector, the 6050 is the one to get. It’s the full boat. Once you add it all up, the price makes sense IMO.
BIC2 and skylarlove1999 like this.

NX5 / Panamorph / SI Black Diamond Zero Edge Pro / Salamander Designs / AQ Niagra
AV8805 / UB9000 / AppleTV 4K / PS4 Pro / Connect / Node 2i / RPM-10 C
C1100 / D1100 / MC303s / 800D3 / HTM1D3 / 702 S2 / CCM7.3 / PC4000s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5050 , Epson , frame interpolation , motion smoothing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page