THE Epson 5050UB/6050UB Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 129 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1341Likes

post #3841 of 4633 Old 10-14-2019, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggydeen
So just got word from Epson on my newly 6050ub with a dead pixel in it. They said 1 dead pixel is not eligible for DOA procedure... They only start DOA when there are 5(!!) dead pixels.

Strange thing is that this dead pixel is only visible when switching sources. And when my PC is attached, I can only see it when browsing in chrome but not when playing movies.

Anyway, i'm contacting Epson again about this because no way i'm paying several thousand euro's for a machine with a dead pixel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
I’m no expert in such matters but I would have thought if you have a dead pixel it would be even seen on the startup screen or in fact any screen or source material, are you 100% certain it’s not an issue with a cable.

When you say switching source, do you mean switching by your AVR?

Another non-expert opinion.... If it were me, I wouldn't be suspecting a dead pixel but possibly a screen artifact, especially if it's not present at ALL TIMES. Does it disappear if you move right up to the screen and then move your point of view a foot or two left and right? Alternatively, if it only appears when switching sources or with a PC, then I'd, also, suspect a cable issue as Laminated67.

Panasonic DP-UB820, Marantz AV7704, Epson 5050UB, Stewart Firehawk 16x9 82"; Amplifiers: Parasound HCA 1000A, Parasound HCA 1206; Speakers: Paradigm Monitor v.4 (R/L/BR/BL) ADP-370 (SS), Premier 600C, Hsu sub VTF-2 Mk5; Power Condition: Adcom ACE 315 & 515, Tripplite HT7300PC & HTRL15UPS; Other Sources: Pioneer CLD-D606 & DVL-919, JVC HR-S9600U; Redmere Elite HDMI cable, Monster Mi.2S speaker cable, Kimber Kable interconnects.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3842 of 4633 Old 10-14-2019, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDG View Post
Apologies in advance for not doing as much research here at the forums as I should. I've had some slow internet issues since moving to "the sticks" and also have a contractor coming very soon to begin construction on my home theater. I'm sorry if this belongs in the Screens forum but I thought it would be appropriate, given that this thread fits my projector.

I'm almost more hesitant to pull the trigger on a screen for my Epson 5050UB than I was on getting the projector itself. It seems there are enough contributors here in the forums who find lower budget screens acceptable to the point that it confuses me. I read somewhere that one should take the total cost of their projector and spend at least 25% of that amount on a screen. I have no idea if there is merit in that formula.

Right now I am considering a Dalite-117324V. It's a white, fixed frame, 4K supported, 110" diagonal with HD progressive 1.1 contrast, 1.1 gain, and they say, "Textureless surface intended for 1080p+/UHD/4K Projection up to 16K." I would be willing to spend the $1637.00 if I have to (while gritting my teeth) but here is the question that I pose to one and all: Am I over-spending? Are there comparable screens that would be just fine at a lower cost? I know there is a degree of subjectivity involved here.

I will be able to completely control the ambient light and the surfaces in my theater which will measure approximately 13' wide by 25' long with ceiling height of 8'.

Oh.. by the way.. I am going to have a lot of seating - about 12.5' worth - and the back row will be on a platform 15" high. I plan to mount the projector somewhere over the seating so that the front row would be 10' from the screen and am wondering how distracting that might be for seats behind or under the projector. Folks in the back row would be, from the top of their heads, roughly 18" below the projector, that is if the projector plus the mount puts the bottom of the projector about 11" down from the ceiling.

I'd hate to get into a longer throw that would necessitate a much larger and more expensive screen. But if I could go with a cheaper, larger screen that would allow me to position the projector just behind the last row of seats, I would consider that. If I decrease the distance between the front row to the screen to 7 or 8 feet, it would make for a 20 to 22' throw if the projector is positioned just behind or over the last row of seats. Projector Central's throw distance calculator estimates a 150" diagonal screen at 20'.

Sorry for all this rambling but any input here would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Have you considered doing a painted screen? If you have the wall for it, it has so many benefits. For one, if you paint the entire wall, you aren't limited to the size of the screen you buy, and you can make the picture as big as your wall. Secondly, with our projectors being able to store aspect ratios, when you switch between 16:9 and Scope, you won't have to worry about masking off the black bars. The black bars disappear into the painted screen, and are BARELY noticeable, unless you really stare hard and look for them. My painted screen is on an entire wall that is 11' x 8', and I only used a half gallon of the Black Flame screen paint. A gallon is only $260 shipped, and I'll put my screen up against any of the expensive ones that are available. You seem like you are a perfect candidate to do one, because you are having the room built by a contractor, and you can have him paint the screen. Here's a link to my screen painting, if you are interested.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-d...iy-screen.html
PaulDG likes this.
post #3843 of 4633 Old 10-14-2019, 12:26 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 296 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked: 1804
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Wink One Stop...no Shop

Quote:
Apologies in advance for not doing as much research here at the forums as I should. I've had some slow internet issues since moving to "the sticks" and also have a contractor coming very soon to begin construction on my home theater. I'm sorry if this belongs in the Screens forum but I thought it would be appropriate, given that this thread fits my projector.

I'm almost more hesitant to pull the trigger on a screen for my Epson 5050UB than I was on getting the projector itself. It seems there are enough contributors here in the forums who find lower budget screens acceptable to the point that it confuses me. I read somewhere that one should take the total cost of their projector and spend at least 25% of that amount on a screen. I have no idea if there is merit in that formula.
Paul,

You can find member's who can multi-task for you and your project's needs over on the DIY Screen Forum. Screens...Projectors...Speakers....Room Design. We place a high priority on the "DIY" mandate....one that covers just about everything.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-diy-screen-section/

.....and yes, in a dedicated Theater, if you pay $1700.00 for "ANY" 110" Matte White Screen that is going to get blasted by a 5050ub....you've paid far too much.

Prudent spending doesn't mean compromising...in any aspect of Theater design and construction. It means making the right choices as applies to your desires and budget. I get involved in Theaters ranging from $6K to $225K, and almost every one uses a Custom Made "DIY" Screen of one type or another, because Performance / Value should be incidental to everything.

Brook no mistake...a Stewart ST100 would serve you in very good stead...as would any of the recent "Zero Texture - 4K Ready" Mfg screens. But you should know that we have been DIY'ing Zero Texture - 4K Ready screens since before there was 1080p Projectors. Zero Edged WAY before any Mfg took up the idea. And making a Contrast Enhancing Screens that is ideally suited for a PJ such as the 5050ub.....really easy.

There are more than a few who post on this Thread who know the info above is true, it's a shame that a over zealous advocate such as I must intercede.

But that's me. I hope you stop by the DIY Screen Forum and while your there you might find even more helpful advice that you'd expect.

Post Script:
Ha Ha ! @biglen beat me to the wire.
PaulDG likes this.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3844 of 4633 Old 10-14-2019, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
Screen size and seating distance are a matter of personal preference. I sit at 12 ft from my 120 inch screen with the projector at 15ft. In quiet scenes I can hear the projector when in high lamp. I have to listen for it even then. Your screen you will have for ten years or longer if you choose one you really enjoy. Many enthusiasts upgrade the projector every 2-3 years. The joy of saving money is generally shortlived while the bitterness of wishing you had spent the money on quality last much longer. Some people are just not obsessed with picture quality. Those people probably don't spend close to $3K on a projector. If I were buying a screen that satisfied my value/performance ratio I would buy this. Just my $.02 .

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the recommendation. It looks like a great choice.

I'm not too concerned about the sound of the projector but am still wondering if positioning the 5050UB ahead of seated viewers would be visually distracting, especially since it comes in white.

Am I to understand that you purchased the screen you linked to? If so, did you get the widescreen aspect ration because you have the anamorphic lens?

Thanks again for your two cents; it appears you'll be saving me much, much more than that!
post #3845 of 4633 Old 10-14-2019, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post
Have you considered doing a painted screen? If you have the wall for it, it has so many benefits. For one, if you paint the entire wall, you aren't limited to the size of the screen you buy, and you can make the picture as big as your wall. Secondly, with our projectors being able to store aspect ratios, when you switch between 16:9 and Scope, you won't have to worry about masking off the black bars. The black bars disappear into the painted screen, and are BARELY noticeable, unless you really stare hard and look for them. My painted screen is on an entire wall that is 11' x 8', and I only used a half gallon of the Black Flame screen paint. A gallon is only $260 shipped, and I'll put my screen up against any of the expensive ones that are available. You seem like you are a perfect candidate to do one, because you are having the room built by a contractor, and you can have him paint the screen. Here's a link to my screen painting, if you are interested.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-d...iy-screen.html
Lens painted wall turned out amazing. As long as the wall is in pristine condition what's yours will be since it's going to be a brand new wall I think that could be a wonderful economical solution and I agree that it will be up against the top screens I don't think it would have anyone feeling they should have gone with the screen. Lenny's a painter by trade and did it himself so you want to make sure that you have someone who is really good with a paint spray gun as that is the best way to apply the 8 different layers to achieve the best result

PaulDG likes this.
post #3846 of 4633 Old 10-14-2019, 12:54 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Lenny's a painter by trade and did it himself so you want to make sure that you have someone who is really good with a paint spray gun as that is the best way to apply the 8 different layers to achieve the best result

That is really meant to say, "8 separate Layers" It's all the same Paint.

However....I specialize in instructing total innocents in the "art" of spraying such screens...and it's actually almost a no brain'er process...a veritable, "...even a Cave Man can do it..." thing. Really. @ biglen was on of the few exceptions as far as needing any real advice.....certainly a welcome change up.

As a example....once the painting commences....the entire process of those "8 Coats" takes on average 3 hours total. Each coat is extremely light, so they "build up" quickly, one after another, each after drying for about 20 minutes.

OK...enough of DIY Screens 101. Just had to pipe back in...

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #3847 of 4633 Old 10-14-2019, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

That is really meant to say, "8 separate Layers" It's all the same Paint.

However....I specialize in instructing total innocents in the "art" of spraying such screens...and it's actually almost a no brain'er process...a veritable, "...even a Cave Man can do it..." thing. Really. @ biglen was on of the few exceptions as far as needing any real advice.....certainly a welcome change up.

As a example....once the painting commences....the entire process of those "8 Coats" takes on average 3 hours total. Each coat is extremely light, so they "build up" quickly, one after another, each after drying for about 20 minutes.

OK...enough of DIY Screens 101. Just had to pipe back in...
Thank you for the clarification. I just meant that it's really not recommended to try and roll on the eight separate layers to achieve the one spectacular screen.

post #3848 of 4633 Old 10-14-2019, 01:26 PM

Thanks much for the input everyone. Since I'll be working with a newly constructed wall and an experienced painter, I think the painted screen idea is excellent. My contractor/painter did a great job on the interior walls of my home so I am confident he can do the screen wall in the theater. He's done a few home theaters before but I don't know if he's actually painted a wall to be a screen. We're meeting on Wednesday to discuss the project.

I'll be contacting you soon, Maurice, and checking out the DYI screen threads. Thanks for reaching out!
post #3849 of 4633 Old 10-14-2019, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=PaulDG;58685284]Thanks much for the input everyone. Since I'll be working with a newly constructed wall and an experienced painter, I think the painted screen idea is excellent. My contractor/painter did a great job on the interior walls of my home so I am confident he can do the screen wall in the theater. He's done a few home theaters before but I don't know if he's actually painted a wall to be a screen. We're meeting on Wednesday to discuss the project.

I'll be contacting you soon, Maurice, and checking out the DYI screen threads. Thanks for reaching out![/quote @biglen and @MississippiMan are speaking the truth and this is coming from a screen guy.

PaulDG likes this.
post #3850 of 4633 Old 10-14-2019, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Thanks much for the input everyone. Since I'll be working with a newly constructed wall and an experienced painter, I think the painted screen idea is excellent. My contractor/painter did a great job on the interior walls of my home so I am confident he can do the screen wall in the theater. He's done a few home theaters before but I don't know if he's actually painted a wall to be a screen. We're meeting on Wednesday to discuss the project.

I'll be contacting you soon, Maurice, and checking out the DYI screen threads. Thanks for reaching out!
Post a picture when finished. btw...in my avatar picture is a ShowMaven 120 inch. Got it for a steal under $150!
PaulDG likes this.

HTPC 5.1.2 on a budget...Epson 5050UB/120", 4-13.5" JL-Audio Subs, 4-10" JBL Woofers, 4 - Polk Surrounds, JBL Center, 2- Polk Presence speakers, 2 - Yamaha Atmos speakers, Adcom Sub Amp 555MKII, Yamaha Receiver TSR-7810
post #3851 of 4633 Old 10-14-2019, 02:34 PM

Separately, I am still hoping to get opinions on positioning a ceiling mounted 5050UB in front of seated viewers. Has anyone ever done this? In my prior home theater I had my projector (a Sharp XV-Z12000 that I purchased from AV Science, Inc. for 7,699.00 in 2005 -- Wow! Have times changed! -- and still use) behind the seating.

Would the 5050UB's 11" height profile (including the mount) on an 8' ceiling be visually distracting (especially being a white projector) for those just behind it, especially for those in the back row whose seats would be on a 15" high platform (which would put the tops of their heads at approximately 67") or 18" below the projector.
post #3852 of 4633 Old 10-14-2019, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Separately, I am still hoping to get opinions on positioning a ceiling mounted 5050UB in front of seated viewers. Has anyone ever done this? In my prior home theater I had my projector (a Sharp XV-Z12000 that I purchased from AV Science, Inc. for 7,699.00 in 2005 -- Wow! Have times changed! -- and still use) behind the seating.

Would the 5050UB's 11" height profile (including the mount) on an 8' ceiling be visually distracting (especially being a white projector) for those just behind it, especially for those in the back row whose seats would be on a 15" high platform (which would put the tops of their heads at approximately 67") or 18" below the projector.
I ceiling mounted my 5050 and it is basically right above my head...didn't take long at all for me to get used to it. And, I figure that if my mounting sucked and it falls and smashes my head, at least I die happy.
PaulDG likes this.

Epson HC5050UB | 110" DEA Infinity Edge FF | Marantz NR-1607 | Kodi HTPC | Panasonic DP-UB820 | PS4 Pro
JimK
post #3853 of 4633 Old 10-14-2019, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I have the same exact set up once the movie is on, I haven't had anybody tell me they were distracted and I've sat in the back row from time to time and I have never been distracted either so I don't think it is an issue

PaulDG likes this.
post #3854 of 4633 Old 10-15-2019, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
I’m no expert in such matters but I would have thought if you have a dead pixel it would be even seen on the startup screen or in fact any screen or source material, are you 100% certain it’s not an issue with a cable.

When you say switching source, do you mean switching by your AVR?
Well i'm no expert either with dead pixels on projectors. It's indeed quite strange.

I see the dead pixel when no source is attached (see attachment). There is a big bright blue dot on the screen. When attaching sources this dead pixel is sometimes visible but sometimes not.

I returned the unit to the shop and they tested it with a pioneer blue ray player. They could also see the blue dead pixel when switching sources but could not see it when playing movies.

But when I attached the projector to my PC I could see the dead pixel when browsing in chrome. But, for some reason I could not see it when watching a movie. I could also not see it when in the projectors menu.

So no idea whats going on here...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image002.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	2628028  

Last edited by Biggydeen; 10-15-2019 at 12:44 AM.
post #3855 of 4633 Old 10-15-2019, 02:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggydeen View Post
Well i'm no expert either with dead pixels on projectors. It's indeed quite strange.

I see the dead pixel when no source is attached (see attachment). There is a big bright blue dot on the screen. When attaching sources this dead pixel is sometimes visible but sometimes not.

I returned the unit to the shop and they tested it with a pioneer blue ray player. They could also see the blue dead pixel when switching sources but could not see it when playing movies.

But when I attached the projector to my PC I could see the dead pixel when browsing in chrome. But, for some reason I could not see it when watching a movie. I could also not see it when in the projectors menu.

What is the store doing to sort you out?

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #3856 of 4633 Old 10-15-2019, 04:17 AM

Quote:
They tested the machine (had some more issues, like a weird sound coming from the projector when playing movies). Other than that they can't do much. They contacted Epson to start the DOA but according to Epson this is within faulty limits of 5 "dead" pixels.

Already filed a complaint. Epson HQ will call be back within 5 working days. Doubt this will change anything though.

So then i'm prob stuck with this unit.

I do have another option, I can send it for a free repair. But if they cannot repair the unit I might get a second hand used one. Since this one is brand new I prefer a new one.

Not sure what to do next. Definately will be a big fail from Epson if 5(!) dead pixels is the limit. How can you watch anything with 5 dead pixels...
post #3857 of 4633 Old 10-15-2019, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They tested the machine (had some more issues, like a weird sound coming from the projector when playing movies). Other than that they can't do much. They contacted Epson to start the DOA but according to Epson this is within faulty limits of 5 "dead" pixels.

Already filed a complaint. Epson HQ will call be back within 5 working days. Doubt this will change anything though.

I do have another option, I can send it for a free repair. But if they cannot repair the unit I might get a second hand used one. Since this one is brand new I prefer a new one.

Not sure what to do next. Definately will be a big fail from Epson if 5(!) dead pixels is the limit. How can you watch anything with 5 dead pixels...
How old is the machine, I would have thought if within the 30 days you could request a new replacement?

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #3858 of 4633 Old 10-15-2019, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Quote:

Not sure what to do next. Definately will be a big fail from Epson if 5(!) dead pixels is the limit.
How can you watch anything with 5 dead pixels...
Would you be able to buy another PJ from some where else and just swap them out that way? Box up the PJ with the dead pixel and return that one stating you dont want it because of the dead pixel and you will look for a different brand, or just anything along those lines?
post #3859 of 4633 Old 10-15-2019, 05:05 AM

Quote:
How old is the machine, I would have thought if within the 30 days you could request a new replacement?
It's brand new. Yes, you can (already did it once and got a brand new one) but apparently you can't just return it if it falls within the return policy. In this case Epson said it can only be replaced if there are at least 5 dead pixels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mon2479 View Post
Would you be able to buy another PJ from some where else and just swap them out that way? Box up the PJ with the dead pixel and return that one stating you dont want it because of the dead pixel and you will look for a different brand, or just anything along those lines?
Well I don't want another projector. This is the best money can buy for now. Atleast, that is the conclusion of my research.

Also, this 6050UB is a bargain compared to what I have to pay in my own country (bought the projector abroad in Europe). It's a 700 euro price difference. With that in mind, no other projector comes close if you compare the picture quality/price.

Last edited by Biggydeen; 10-15-2019 at 05:09 AM.
post #3860 of 4633 Old 10-15-2019, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have to agree with the opinion it’s the best available in this price bracket, each time I watch a top quality recording I get blown away by how good it is, the crispness of the image is amazing in my opinion.

post #3861 of 4633 Old 10-15-2019, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I have to agree with the opinion it’s the best available in this price bracket, each time I watch a top quality recording I get blown away by how good it is, the crispness of the image is amazing in my opinion.
Here's an interesting video about "dead pixels": https://www.google.com/search?client...ofs5gKWy4KIDw4

Panasonic DP-UB820, Marantz AV7704, Epson 5050UB, Stewart Firehawk 16x9 82"; Amplifiers: Parasound HCA 1000A, Parasound HCA 1206; Speakers: Paradigm Monitor v.4 (R/L/BR/BL) ADP-370 (SS), Premier 600C, Hsu sub VTF-2 Mk5; Power Condition: Adcom ACE 315 & 515, Tripplite HT7300PC & HTRL15UPS; Other Sources: Pioneer CLD-D606 & DVL-919, JVC HR-S9600U; Redmere Elite HDMI cable, Monster Mi.2S speaker cable, Kimber Kable interconnects.
post #3862 of 4633 Old 10-15-2019, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:

Just buy yourself a pair of Blue Blocker Glasses! https://www.blublocker.com/ Had to... Not that many good options for you but I agree and return it for the free Epson fix and move on with another that doesn't suffer from this artifact.

HTPC 5.1.2 on a budget...Epson 5050UB/120", 4-13.5" JL-Audio Subs, 4-10" JBL Woofers, 4 - Polk Surrounds, JBL Center, 2- Polk Presence speakers, 2 - Yamaha Atmos speakers, Adcom Sub Amp 555MKII, Yamaha Receiver TSR-7810
post #3863 of 4633 Old 10-15-2019, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 79
So whats the early word on the power supply in the 5050? Is the 5040 issue resolved or has anyone had issues with the power supply failing? I use my projector a LOT and I don't want to deal with constantly sending units back. I really want power zoom with presets so I can do a constant height screen but not if the projector is not going to be reliable I will need to look elsewhere.
post #3864 of 4633 Old 10-15-2019, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjen View Post
So whats the early word on the power supply in the 5050? Is the 5040 issue resolved or has anyone had issues with the power supply failing? I use my projector a LOT and I don't want to deal with constantly sending units back. I really want power zoom with presets so I can do a constant height screen but not if the projector is not going to be reliable I will need to look elsewhere.
Obviously in a forum dedicated to the projector you're going to find more reports of power supply issues. There have definitely been a couple people with multiple failures of the Epson 5050 for power supply. Whether it turns out to be as widely an issue as the 5040 remains to be seen

post #3865 of 4633 Old 10-15-2019, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Obviously in a forum dedicated to the projector you're going to find more reports of power supply issues. There have definitely been a couple people with multiple failures of the Epson 5050 for power supply. Whether it turns out to be as widely an issue as the 5040 remains to be seen

Well thats disappointing to hear. The 5050ub checks all the boxes except the most important one. Reliability. I have had 2 benQs over the last 6 years and neither ever had a single issue. And I tend to use my projector daily for tv, xbox and etc.
post #3866 of 4633 Old 10-15-2019, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjen View Post

Well thats disappointing to hear. The 5050ub checks all the boxes except the most important one. Reliability. I have had 2 benQs over the last 6 years and neither ever had a single issue. And I tend to use my projector daily for tv, xbox and etc.
I am sure that it is I had three different 5040 projectors that failed. I have had my Epson 6050 since May with zero issues. Ymmv

Last edited by skylarlove1999; 10-15-2019 at 10:38 AM.
post #3867 of 4633 Old 10-15-2019, 09:39 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:

Would the 5050UB's 11" height profile (including the mount) (...is that a Chief RPA357 Dedicated?) on an 8' ceiling be visually distracting (especially being a white projector) for those just behind it, especially for those in the back row whose seats would be on a 15" high platform (which would put the tops of their heads at approximately 67") or 18" below the projector.
(...is that a Chief RPA357 Dedicated?)

That's close. Is there any chance to allow for a recessed Projector? A Closet behind the Rear Wall perhaps? The 5050 has enough Throw range and Lens Shift to be set upon a high Shelf or inverted and shoot through a Wall opening.

Otherwise, a 5050 setting just 18" directly above a row and running in Normal Lamp Mode will be heard by most. Low Lamp....not nearly so. If the front face of PJ can be placed just ahead of those seats, the Fan noise can be greatly reduced. The visual perspective of the top of the Screen from the rear seating won't be affected if the PJ's casing stays at least no more than 11" down from the Ceiling.

Ideally...if the screen size and throw distance required are amiable, placing the PJ as suggested with it's face just ahead of the 1st Row would be a best case scenario....usually. But perhaps not in this case as there may well be an alternative.

15" high Platform? Is that the second Row? Do you need that much height because your screen's bottom will be so low? Certainly not a 56" high 110"er? Your Room is 25' deep...so if you instead go up to 122" diagonal, you could set the 5050 all the way back almost or recessed into the rear wall....up high.

Last edited by MississippiMan; 10-15-2019 at 10:17 AM.
post #3868 of 4633 Old 10-15-2019, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Which Chief mount comes with the 6050?
post #3869 of 4633 Old 10-15-2019, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmarket View Post
Which Chief mount comes with the 6050?
It is labeled as chief 4500 in black. Chief 4000 in white.

Last edited by skylarlove1999; 10-15-2019 at 06:54 PM.
post #3870 of 4633 Old 10-15-2019, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I meant that you should buy another 5050 and return the bad 5050 in its place. Sort of swap them out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5050 , Epson , frame interpolation , motion smoothing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page