THE Epson 5050UB/6050UB Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 132 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1342Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3931 of 4639 Old 10-20-2019, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Luminated67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,174
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmarket View Post
Under info it's showing "3840 x 2160." I didn't realize that would knock out Noise and MPEG Noise as well. I guess the Xbox ONE X is doing it's own upscaling knocking the all of that out including 4K Enhancement.
I can’t speak for what others think/feel but in my opinion the Epson does a better job at upscaling than my Panasonic Blu-Ray player, whether the same is true for an XBox I can’t say.

One thing I can assure you is that when it’s feed with a great quality source material the Epson is incredible.

4K
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7iqey1az7a...%2050.jpg?dl=0
4K
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uir61kb26f...%2004.jpg?dl=0
1080P
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tyerpld11o...%2012.jpg?dl=0
1080P
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h3x6127jkp...%2024.jpg?dl=0

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)

Last edited by Luminated67; 10-20-2019 at 03:31 PM.
Luminated67 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3932 of 4639 Old 10-20-2019, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
DavidinGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 847
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post
Anyone know if Epson is developing Auto Tone Mapping for a future firmware update? This seems to be the future for projectors and HDR.
I kind of doubt it, and if they do it'll be mediocre dtm at best. Good dtm takes more processing power than these pj's come with.

If you really want great HDR you need a dedicated tone mapping solution (htpc w/madVR, ENVY, or Lumagen).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

--------------------------------------------------
Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 5040, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofer: MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D.
DavidinGA is offline  
post #3933 of 4639 Old 10-20-2019, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skylarlove1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,163
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
I kind of doubt it, and if they do it'll be mediocre dtm at best. Good dtm takes more processing power than these pj's come with.

If you really want great HDR you need a dedicated tone mapping solution (htpc w/madVR, ENVY, or Lumagen).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I agree with your comments about the processing power of the Epson projectors. I agreed with needing a separate processor for really good HDR until I saw my friend's JVC RS2000 with the new DTM firmware update. It is a revelation. Not saying it is better than the MADVR OR ENVY or Lumagen because it is not, but for most people they would be blown away.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
DavidinGA likes this.
skylarlove1999 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3934 of 4639 Old 10-20-2019, 05:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
I kind of doubt it, and if they do it'll be mediocre dtm at best. Good dtm takes more processing power than these pj's come with.

If you really want great HDR you need a dedicated tone mapping solution (htpc w/madVR, ENVY, or Lumagen).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I agree with your comments about the processing power of the Epson projectors. I agreed with needing a separate processor for really good HDR until I saw my friend's JVC RS2000 with the new DTM firmware update. It is a revelation. Not saying it is better than the MADVR OR ENVY or Lumagen because it is not, but for most people they would be blown away.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
In a earlier breakdown it was reported that the new JVCs had a powerful programable chip on board. I know the 5050 had 3 new processors onboard coming from the 5040. Not sure if one of them is strong enought to do dtm or not.

I will say I have read way to many impressions and reviews lately trying to decide on my upgrade for the next 5 yrs. The only thing keeping me from getting the 5050 is it is 100% evident that the HDR tone mapping dramatically raises the black floor. Seemingly Benq 5550 and 3550 have some sort to dtm that makes their pathetic 1000:1 contrast ratio look better that the 5050 is some scenes due to the raised black floor.

Would love a rs2000 but the wife wont sign off on it. She said it can get a b stock 790 or the Epson 5050. Iam stuck hoping epson updates the 5050 tone mapping. Would go 790 but iam afraid I will hate fighting hdr tone mapping.

Just keep riding this epson 4000....
gunlife is offline  
post #3935 of 4639 Old 10-20-2019, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
DavidinGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 847
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlife View Post
In a earlier breakdown it was reported that the new JVCs had a powerful programable chip on board. I know the 5050 had 3 new processors onboard coming from the 5040. Not sure if one of them is strong enought to do dtm or not.

I will say I have read way to many impressions and reviews lately trying to decide on my upgrade for the next 5 yrs. The only thing keeping me from getting the 5050 is it is 100% evident that the HDR tone mapping dramatically raises the black floor. Seemingly Benq 5550 and 3550 have some sort to dtm that makes their pathetic 1000:1 contrast ratio look better that the 5050 is some scenes due to the raised black floor.

Would love a rs2000 but the wife wont sign off on it. She said it can get a b stock 790 or the Epson 5050. Iam stuck hoping epson updates the 5050 tone mapping. Would go 790 but iam afraid I will hate fighting hdr tone mapping.

Just keep riding this epson 4000....
That's interesting about the on board chips.


Have you considered an htpc w/madVR?

I'm running an Epson 5040 with MadVR and the hdr is amazing! Basically any pj you get right now can be improved upon with MadVR (even the jvc's with the dtm firmware update); it's that good.

I know a lot of people don't want to dive into it, but w/o madVR (or equivalent) your missing out when it comes to hdr.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

--------------------------------------------------
Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 5040, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofer: MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D.
DavidinGA is offline  
post #3936 of 4639 Old 10-20-2019, 05:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
That's interesting about the on board chips.


Have you considered an htpc w/madVR?

I'm running an Epson 5040 with MadVR and the hdr is amazing! Basically any pj you get right now can be improved upon with MadVR (even the jvc's with the dtm firmware update); it's that good.

I know a lot of people don't want to dive into it, but w/o madVR (or equivalent) your missing out when it comes to hdr.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I do have a gaming pc with a 1080in it. So I have considered it. Seems like alot lf work so I just never took the jump. But I do suppose a 790 with madvr would rock the house.

Probably just pick up a 5050 next week just to get something!!!
DavidinGA likes this.
gunlife is offline  
post #3937 of 4639 Old 10-20-2019, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MidnightWatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 5,550
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlife View Post
The only thing keeping me from getting the 5050 is it is 100% evident that the HDR tone mapping dramatically raises the black floor. Seemingly Benq 5550 and 3550 have some sort to dtm that makes their pathetic 1000:1 contrast ratio look better that the 5050 is some scenes due to the raised black floor.
Interesting. I'm really curious to read reviews of the JVC LX-NZ3 when released next month to see how it compares to a 5050/6050.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Theater | Vero 4K | Epson 5030UB + Peerless PRG-UNV | 100" EluneVision Reference 4K Screen | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | Polk Audio RTi A9 + CSi A6 + OWM3 + Micca M8C + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83V Mini PC + MoviePosterApp | Z83V + DietPi FTP Server + 3 x 8TB HDDs + 4 x DLink DHP-701AV
MidnightWatcher is offline  
post #3938 of 4639 Old 10-20-2019, 06:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlife View Post
The only thing keeping me from getting the 5050 is it is 100% evident that the HDR tone mapping dramatically raises the black floor. Seemingly Benq 5550 and 3550 have some sort to dtm that makes their pathetic 1000:1 contrast ratio look better that the 5050 is some scenes due to the raised black floor.

Interesting. I'm really curious to read reviews of the JVC LX-NZ3 when released next month to see how it compares to a 5050/6050.
Iam keeping my eye on it but it seems like its made for a living room type setup. Be interesting either way more options are always better.

Last edited by gunlife; 10-20-2019 at 06:46 PM.
gunlife is offline  
post #3939 of 4639 Old 10-20-2019, 11:29 PM
Member
 
Yves Claeys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
That's interesting about the on board chips.


Have you considered an htpc w/madVR?

I'm running an Epson 5040 with MadVR and the hdr is amazing! Basically any pj you get right now can be improved upon with MadVR (even the jvc's with the dtm firmware update); it's that good.

I know a lot of people don't want to dive into it, but w/o madVR (or equivalent) your missing out when it comes to hdr.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

What are your MadVR HDR specific settings?
Yves Claeys is offline  
post #3940 of 4639 Old 10-21-2019, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
DavidinGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 847
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves Claeys View Post
What are your MadVR HDR specific settings?
I'd have to go look, but I'm currently running build 86 (they are up over 100 now).

Follow this thread:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...urce=app<br />

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

--------------------------------------------------
Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 5040, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofer: MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D.
DavidinGA is offline  
post #3941 of 4639 Old 10-21-2019, 05:44 AM
Member
 
Kelvin1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 116
THE Epson 5050UB/6050UB Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
Thank you for replying I would love to see the difference in HDR and at night. Thanks again for giving all the details. Much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I took some more pics last night.

SDR:


HDR:


It should also be noted that this projector has not been calibrated in any way and I am just using “Bright Cinema” out of the box.

Last edited by Kelvin1000; 10-21-2019 at 05:50 AM.
Kelvin1000 is offline  
post #3942 of 4639 Old 10-21-2019, 05:55 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 22,378
Mentioned: 296 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked: 1804
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
It is labeled as chief 4500 in black. Chief 4000 in white.






The Mount and Custom PJ Plate itself is excellent....the small "X" Ceiling Plate ain't a "Plate" and is NOT advised for use if one wants to have all points of structural support firmly screwed into Framing Lumber.


Use a Round Peerless ACC570 instead. The wider Base offers much more lateral stability. (...the actual Plate has 4 Holes...) It's only $18-20.00 additional expense.



Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	acc570s.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	2630088  

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
MississippiMan is offline  
post #3943 of 4639 Old 10-21-2019, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skylarlove1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,163
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
The Mount and Custom PJ Plate itself is excellent....the small "X" Ceiling Plate ain't a "Plate" and is NOT advised for use if one wants to have all points of structural support firmly screwed into Framing Lumber.


Use a Round Peerless ACC570 instead. The wider Base offers much more lateral stability. (...the actual Plate has 4 Holes...) It's only $18-20.00 additional expense.



I agree 100% regarding the ceiling plate. I did not use the ceiling plate .

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
skylarlove1999 is offline  
post #3944 of 4639 Old 10-21-2019, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Luminated67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,174
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1000 View Post
I took some more pics last night.

SDR:


HDR:


It should also be noted that this projector has not been calibrated in any way and I am just using “Bright Cinema” out of the box.
Bright Cinema wouldn't be right with HDR unless it was calibrated, much better to use either Cinema or Digital Cinema if using out of the box settings with HDR as both engage the filter.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
Luminated67 is online now  
post #3945 of 4639 Old 10-21-2019, 07:56 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1000 View Post
I took some more pics last night.

SDR:


HDR:


It should also be noted that this projector has not been calibrated in any way and I am just using “Bright Cinema” out of the box.
Perfect example of the raised black floor in HDR. I know you could be in Digital Cinema and it would help improve the black levels but it still raises the blacks. People love the highlights I suppose!

BTW I am not trying to be negative or attempting to put anyone's theater or personal preference down. I have just noticed that my Wife and I enjoy a lot of movies/shows with a lot of low ADL scenes so I prefer to have a low black floor at this point.
gunlife is offline  
post #3946 of 4639 Old 10-21-2019, 08:39 AM
Senior Member
 
HTX^2steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tampa - Florida
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlife View Post
Perfect example of the raised black floor in HDR. I know you could be in Digital Cinema and it would help improve the black levels but it still raises the blacks. People love the highlights I suppose!

BTW I am not trying to be negative or attempting to put anyone's theater or personal preference down. I have just noticed that my Wife and I enjoy a lot of movies/shows with a lot of low ADL scenes so I prefer to have a low black floor at this point.
So the HDR setting is displaying correctly? At least to my eyes the HDR is more accurately depicting space.

HTPC 5.1.2 on a budget...Epson 5050UB/120", 4-13.5" JL-Audio Subs, 4-10" JBL Woofers, 4 - Polk Surrounds, JBL Center, 2- Polk Presence speakers, 2 - Yamaha Atmos speakers, Adcom Sub Amp 555MKII, Yamaha Receiver TSR-7810
HTX^2steve is offline  
post #3947 of 4639 Old 10-21-2019, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Luminated67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,174
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTX^2steve View Post
So the HDR setting is displaying correctly? At least to my eyes the HDR is more accurately depicting space.
Try Digital Cinema and set your HDR level some where between 1 and 6, also put lamp mode to Medium.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
Luminated67 is online now  
post #3948 of 4639 Old 10-21-2019, 09:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 3
So just got word from Epson about the dead pixel. And the official response from headquarters is that the customer should accept 1 dead pixel and this cannot be repaired in any way....

Does anyone know if Epson can just do this? There is no mention about dead pixels in their warranty statement.
Biggydeen is offline  
post #3949 of 4639 Old 10-21-2019, 10:18 AM
Senior Member
 
HTX^2steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tampa - Florida
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggydeen View Post
So just got word from Epson about the dead pixel. And the official response from headquarters is that the customer should accept 1 dead pixel and this cannot be repaired in any way....

Does anyone know if Epson can just do this? There is no mention about dead pixels in their warranty statement.
wow...again crappy policy.

HTPC 5.1.2 on a budget...Epson 5050UB/120", 4-13.5" JL-Audio Subs, 4-10" JBL Woofers, 4 - Polk Surrounds, JBL Center, 2- Polk Presence speakers, 2 - Yamaha Atmos speakers, Adcom Sub Amp 555MKII, Yamaha Receiver TSR-7810
HTX^2steve is offline  
post #3950 of 4639 Old 10-21-2019, 10:32 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTX^2steve View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlife View Post
Perfect example of the raised black floor in HDR. I know you could be in Digital Cinema and it would help improve the black levels but it still raises the blacks. People love the highlights I suppose!

BTW I am not trying to be negative or attempting to put anyone's theater or personal preference down. I have just noticed that my Wife and I enjoy a lot of movies/shows with a lot of low ADL scenes so I prefer to have a low black floor at this point.
So the HDR setting is displaying correctly? At least to my eyes the HDR is more accurately depicting space.
Iam not saying its "wrong" if you enjoy the picture thats fantastic! Don't let someone on the internet sway you!

All iam saying is that Epsons tone maping of hdr significantly raises the black floor to keep the image bright. It just really destroys alot of the reason people pay up for the "Ultra Black" tech.
gunlife is offline  
post #3951 of 4639 Old 10-21-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jeahrens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 4,321
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked: 1525
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlife View Post
I do have a gaming pc with a 1080in it. So I have considered it. Seems like alot lf work so I just never took the jump. But I do suppose a 790 with madvr would rock the house.

Probably just pick up a 5050 next week just to get something!!!
B-stock NX5 slots between the 5050 and 6050 price wise. And runs the new DTM firmware just fine. I'd certainly put it on your list.

jeahrens is offline  
post #3952 of 4639 Old 10-21-2019, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skylarlove1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,163
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
B-stock NX5 slots between the 5050 and 6050 price wise. And runs the new DTM firmware just fine. I'd certainly put it on your list.
100% agree with this comment.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
skylarlove1999 is offline  
post #3953 of 4639 Old 10-21-2019, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
DavidinGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 847
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlife View Post
Iam not saying its "wrong" if you enjoy the picture thats fantastic! Don't let someone on the internet sway you!

All iam saying is that Epsons tone maping of hdr significantly raises the black floor to keep the image bright. It just really destroys alot of the reason people pay up for the "Ultra Black" tech.
This is a good reason to not rely on tm inside the projector, if you're after the best image...

MadVR = Winning for DTM vs other methods

--------------------------------------------------
Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 5040, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofer: MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D.
DavidinGA is offline  
post #3954 of 4639 Old 10-21-2019, 10:58 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlife View Post
I do have a gaming pc with a 1080in it. So I have considered it. Seems like alot lf work so I just never took the jump. But I do suppose a 790 with madvr would rock the house.

Probably just pick up a 5050 next week just to get something!!!
B-stock NX5 slots between the 5050 and 6050 price wise. And runs the new DTM firmware just fine. I'd certainly put it on your list.
Thanks! Will do.
gunlife is offline  
post #3955 of 4639 Old 10-21-2019, 11:11 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlife View Post
Iam not saying its "wrong" if you enjoy the picture thats fantastic! Don't let someone on the internet sway you!

All iam saying is that Epsons tone maping of hdr significantly raises the black floor to keep the image bright. It just really destroys alot of the reason people pay up for the "Ultra Black" tech.
This is a good reason to not rely on tm inside the projector, if you're after the best image...

MadVR = Winning for DTM vs other methods
I have no problem with trying madvr. But I use my projector about 70% of the time streaming hdr shows from netflix, amazon prime, and hulu. Another 10% gaming. Madvr is useless for these situations. Just looks like Benq and JVC have the best tone mapping out for projectors right now. Benq just has a low contrast starting point or it might be as good as JVCs dtm.
gunlife is offline  
post #3956 of 4639 Old 10-21-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jeahrens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 4,321
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked: 1525
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlife View Post
I have no problem with trying madvr. But I use my projector about 70% of the time streaming hdr shows from netflix, amazon prime, and hulu. Another 10% gaming. Madvr is useless for these situations. Just looks like Benq and JVC have the best tone mapping out for projectors right now. Benq just has a low contrast starting point or it might be as good as JVCs dtm.
Please do yourself a favor and steer clear of the 4K DLPs. Saying they have low contrast is being kind. The Epson's put up a much better picture.
DavidinGA likes this.

jeahrens is offline  
post #3957 of 4639 Old 10-21-2019, 11:27 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlife View Post
I have no problem with trying madvr. But I use my projector about 70% of the time streaming hdr shows from netflix, amazon prime, and hulu. Another 10% gaming. Madvr is useless for these situations. Just looks like Benq and JVC have the best tone mapping out for projectors right now. Benq just has a low contrast starting point or it might be as good as JVCs dtm.
Please do yourself a favor and steer clear of the 4K DLPs. Saying they have low contrast is being kind. The Epson's put up a much better picture.
Oh I agree. Thats kinda my point. The epson has like 5xs the native contrast of the dlps. Yet in HDR mode several reviewers has noted that the Benq actually looks like it has better blacks in some scenes. Epsons tone mapping needs work.

In sdr iam sure the Epson smokes the Benq
gunlife is offline  
post #3958 of 4639 Old 10-21-2019, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
DavidinGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 847
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlife View Post
I have no problem with trying madvr. But I use my projector about 70% of the time streaming hdr shows from netflix, amazon prime, and hulu. Another 10% gaming. Madvr is useless for these situations. Just looks like Benq and JVC have the best tone mapping out for projectors right now. Benq just has a low contrast starting point or it might be as good as JVCs dtm.
Gotcha. ENVY maybe?

Honestly, if you're streaming content then you really don't care about quality that much to begin with

--------------------------------------------------
Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 5040, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofer: MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D.
DavidinGA is offline  
post #3959 of 4639 Old 10-21-2019, 12:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post

Gotcha. ENVY maybe?

Honestly, if you're streaming content then you really don't care about quality that much to begin with [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
I don't stream movies. Only the HDR shows. Yes the quality isnt perfect. But it can looks alot better with 4k and hdr than straight up 1080p.

Envy isnt in my budget unfortunately!!
DavidinGA likes this.
gunlife is offline  
post #3960 of 4639 Old 10-21-2019, 12:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Hawkmarket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 445
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
100% agree with this comment.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I can get what I think is a pretty decent price on that one new but on a 150" screen where I'm watching sports about 1/2 the time with the lights on I'm very concerned about not having enough lumens. My guess is the lamps best day is coming in around 1,600 and it only goes down hill from there. Pitch black room with 135" or less, no brainer.
Hawkmarket is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5050 , Epson , frame interpolation , motion smoothing

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off