THE Epson 5050UB/6050UB Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 149 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1345Likes

post #4441 of 4660 Old 11-21-2019, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
3D Playback in Plex Not Working

I just got my pair of Epson 3d glasses for my 5050ub. I got the glasses to pair no problem. No I'm trying to play a 3D movie file on Plex. It keeps playing Side By Side video and the 3d format button and menu options are disabled. I tried adding SBS, H-SBS, HSBS, Half-SBS to the file name with no luck.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4442 of 4660 Old 11-21-2019, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypres0099 View Post
I just got my pair of Epson 3d glasses for my 5050ub. I got the glasses to pair no problem. No I'm trying to play a 3D movie file on Plex. It keeps playing Side By Side video and the 3d format button and menu options are disabled. I tried adding SBS, H-SBS, HSBS, Half-SBS to the file name with no luck.

Any ideas?
Make sure you have Plex set to 1080p. The 3D won't work if it's 4k.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
ckronengold and momofx like this.
post #4443 of 4660 Old 11-22-2019, 12:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Smile Wow

Well I received my 5050UB today and decided to set up on a shelf I made up for it (back wall near the ceiling) and test it out on my (sort of) dark green wall. Wow, even with the green wall the picture was still very bright and amazing lol. The lense shift and zoom makes it soooooo easy to just set it up and use those functions instead of moving the projector or the shelf like it use to be in the past. Oh and even after looking at the specs online, this thing is a MONSTER when you actually have it in front of you

Due to my limitations and idea of also using a regular flat panel on the wall for general tv watching, I decided to go with a 125" Akia (Elite - Cinewhite) Motorized for now. The one thing I was glad I did not see anymore was that darn rainbow effect I see on DLPs.

Sorry for rambling on - I'm still astounded how amazing it looked, stock settings on a green wall LOL!

Last edited by momofx; 11-22-2019 at 12:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4444 of 4660 Old 11-22-2019, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I just got my new 6050 projector but I have trouble getting an image out of it.

Dune HD and a BD-player is connected with HDMI (2m long) to an older Denon AVR 2300 receiver.
The receiver sends out the image with "no name" HDMI (10m long) to the Epson 6050 (or 9400 in Europe).
It says No signal.
I got the BD-players menu to show but when I put in a movie I only got the sound.

So I tried hooking upp the BD-player directly to the Epson WITH the same 10m cable and got it to work!

Is there a problem with my Denon or is it the HDMI cable that only works when connected directly?

I am looking at getting a good HDMI active optical cable but I am afraid that it wont solve my problem.

Can I change anything in the Denon or the BD-player (or Epson)?
post #4445 of 4660 Old 11-22-2019, 05:41 AM

No image when connecting through receiver

Dune HD and a BD-player is connected with HDMI (2m long) to an older Denon AVR 2300 receiver.
The receiver sends out the image with "no name" HDMI (10m long) to the Epson 6050 (or 9400 in Europe).
It says No signal.
I got the BD-players menu to show but when I put in a movie I only got the sound.

So I tried hooking upp the BD-player directly to the Epson WITH the same 10m cable and got it to work!

Is there a problem with my Denon or is it the HDMI cable that only works when connected directly?

I am looking at getting a good HDMI active optical cable but I am afraid that it wont solve my problem.

post #4446 of 4660 Old 11-22-2019, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretorian View Post

It says No signal.

If your 10M HDMI cable isn't an Optical version then this is most likely your problem. Make sure your upscaling is both turned off on your Bluray player and your Denon AVR, if you put a standard 1080P bluray in and you now get a picture then this is indeed your problem.
ckronengold likes this.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #4447 of 4660 Old 11-22-2019, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked: 800
Quote:

It says No signal.

How long is your HDMI cable from your receiver to your projector. I am wondering if there is are there a setting in your receiver that is not set correctly or more than likely your run from your receiver to your projector is so long that the video signal is just dropping. If you were run from your receiver to your projector is more than 25 ft long I would say that an HDMI active fiber optic cable should resolve your issue.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #4448 of 4660 Old 11-22-2019, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofx View Post
Well I received my 5050UB today and decided to set up on a shelf I made up for it (back wall near the ceiling) and test it out on my (sort of) dark green wall. Wow, even with the green wall the picture was still very bright and amazing lol. The lense shift and zoom makes it soooooo easy to just set it up and use those functions instead of moving the projector or the shelf like it use to be in the past. Oh and even after looking at the specs online, this thing is a MONSTER when you actually have it in front of you

Due to my limitations and idea of also using a regular flat panel on the wall for general tv watching, I decided to go with a 125" Akia (Elite - Cinewhite) Motorized for now. The one thing I was glad I did not see anymore was that darn rainbow effect I see on DLPs.

Sorry for rambling on - I'm still astounded how amazing it looked, stock settings on a green wall LOL!
What is your expectation of noise & heat on your new projector? Do you like the way it function? Were you considering refurbished 5040UB before you buy it? Do you use shield or Apple TV 4K with it? Thanks for sharing your experience.
post #4449 of 4660 Old 11-22-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
Quote:

It says No signal.

How long is your HDMI cable from your receiver to your projector. I am wondering if there is are there a setting in your receiver that is not set correctly or more than likely your run from your receiver to your projector is so long that the video signal is just dropping. If you were run from your receiver to your projector is more than 25 ft long I would say that an HDMI active fiber optic cable should resolve your issue.

The hdmi is almost 33 ft. Plus a few ft from BD to receiver
post #4450 of 4660 Old 11-22-2019, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by olegg View Post
What is your expectation of noise & heat on your new projector? Do you like the way it function? Were you considering refurbished 5040UB before you buy it? Do you use shield or Apple TV 4K with it? Thanks for sharing your experience.

In the 1 hour I had it on for, it got a little warm nothing bad at all. It was so quiet I went up to it to make sure the fan was working. Yes, I was considering a 5040UB but the gamble of it suddenly dying on me is where I finally changed my mind and then the HDMI bandwidth and no I'm not using Nvidia Shield or Apple TV 4K. The projector will be used mostly for movies and little gaming on Xbox One.

Oh and btw, I did read people complaing about lag on the Xbox, etc. when playing games so I tried it anyway last night with some high paced games and I saw nothing. To me, it was just as good as my regular tv, maybe it's cos I'm not a hardcore gamer lol.

If you're considering, I think its better to get the 5050 and be done
olegg likes this.
post #4451 of 4660 Old 11-22-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post
Make sure you have Plex set to 1080p. The 3D won't work if it's 4k.

Oh interesting, I didn't think about that. The file is 1080p, but I'm playing through an Nvidia Shield, so it's upscaling to 4k. Kind of annoying that I'll have to go into settings each time and change to 1080p, but I'll give it a shot and see what happens.
post #4452 of 4660 Old 11-22-2019, 09:32 AM

Just got my 5050ub mounted with a Chief 4500 I got on ebay for $140. Super solid mount. We sized this board to 19 inches long so that we could get 3 lag bolts on each end into the ceiling joists at 16 inch centers. Feels very very solid. Though, there is a little shaking of the picture when people are stomping around in the kitchen (directly above the projector), which is kind of annoying.

Cable running should be happening on Saturday. Using a Ruipro 15m optical HDMI cable.

Questions:

1. When I was testing the projector, I had it sitting on a wooden box that was essentially dead center on the screen. When mounting to the ceiling, I used the 100% lens shift to get the picture where I need it (0% Tilt/Keystone Adjustment). What I noticed was that the horizontal line in pattern mode is now soft in focus compared to the vertical line and compared to both lines when the projector was dead center in the screen. Is that to be expected? Anything to do about it?

2. I tried to further adjust the above issue using panel alignment as I saw a little bit of a blue line on the horizontal pattern. Is panel alignment something that should be done when calibrating or is it reserved for other problems? Is there a how to somewhere?

3. When I was messing around with the Chief mount, a little metal piece fell out right near the lever arm that secures the whole projector into place. I assumed it had something to do with locking the lever arm in place, but I couldn't figure out where it went. The mount seems totally secure without it though, even if it would just take a thumb flick to disengage the whole projector. Any thoughts?

post #4453 of 4660 Old 11-22-2019, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have an issue that you guys may hopefully answer.

I have an Apple TV4k with has only one HDMI port. When I directly connect the Apple TV to the 6050 with an active high-speed cable (25ft) the picture looks great. However, because there is only one HDMI out on the AppleTV and my older amp does not do 4k passthrough, I don’t have sound.

So, I got an audio extractor box (Monoprice, which can pass a 4k signal, HDR and 4:4:4) which has an HDMI in and has an HDMI out plus an optical out. The latter goes to the amp. Now I have sound, but the picture shows banding. Looking at the info on the projector; it is getting a 4k signal and 4:2:2 (which is what the Apple TV4k outputs).

The connections are as follows:
The Apple TV to the extractor box with a non-active high-speed cable (6ft).
The box is connected to the 6050 with an active high-speed cable (25ft).

So the questions are;
Is this a cable issue?
An extractor box issue?
Am I out of luck and need to get a modern amp? Not that I’m averse to this idea ;-).
And if I do get a new amp can I connect the Apple TV4k to it with the non-active high-speed 6ft cable?

This is driving me crazy.
Thanks for the help, guys.

Anil
" Too low they build, who build beneath the stars" Edward Young
http://emergentcomplexity.org/Anil_Rao_Scientific_Illustrations/Biology.html
post #4454 of 4660 Old 11-22-2019, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 123
@3fingerbrown thanks for the mention, putting my UB5050 Hushbox pics here for perpetuity...

The port:

The intake and exhaust level:

PJ level:

Testing and head-scratching:

Flush routed and almost done:
ckronengold likes this.
post #4455 of 4660 Old 11-22-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 30
If volume level is pushed over CEC from my pre-pro will the 6050 see it and display it on the screen?
post #4456 of 4660 Old 11-22-2019, 11:00 AM

New optical HDMI - Still no picture

I git a really expensive hdmi but I still dont get a picture. It says HDMI 1 Not supported.
post #4457 of 4660 Old 11-22-2019, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
I git a really expensive hdmi but I still dont get a picture. It says HDMI 1 Not supported.
Might be something with your Denon receiver, I have a similar setup with 6050ub and a 35' HDMI cable from my Denon X4300H and it works perfectly. When switching inputs it is fast and no issues. When switching between SDR and HDR it takes a few seconds to sync, maybe 5 or so and I lose picture but it always comes back properly.

Firmware up to date on your Denon and are you using any video processing on the Denon? I would check and disable settings and try AVR in HDMI passthrough mode.

post #4458 of 4660 Old 11-22-2019, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Is your cable definitely a Fibre Optical HDMI, if it’s an optical one it will say Source and other end will say Monitor, obviously the monitor end will go into the projector. If it is indeed an optical HDMI then take the end that says Source out of your amp and put it into your Bluray player, you won’t have sound but you should have picture and if you do then the issue must be a setting on your Denon.

At this point it’s a case of elimination.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #4459 of 4660 Old 11-22-2019, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinHeadroom View Post
@3fingerbrown thanks for the mention, putting my UB5050 Hushbox pics here for perpetuity...

The port:

PJ level:

Wow, that looks legit!

Are you putting this up on a shelf?

What's that thing weigh in at; 40lbs?

Are you going to seal off the gap around the lens and the box to further quiet it down?

--------------------------------------------------
Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 5040, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofer: MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D.
post #4460 of 4660 Old 11-22-2019, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinHeadroom View Post

The port:

PJ level:

Oh...so that is what dumbbells are for....
MinHeadroom likes this.

HTPC 5.1.2 on a budget...Epson 5050UB/120", 4-13.5" JL-Audio Subs, 4-10" JBL Woofers, 4 - Polk Surrounds, JBL Center, 2- Polk Presence speakers, 2 - Yamaha Atmos speakers, Adcom Sub Amp 555MKII, Yamaha Receiver TSR-7810
post #4461 of 4660 Old 11-22-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
Wow, that looks legit!

Are you putting this up on a shelf?

What's that thing weigh in at; 40lbs?

Are you going to seal off the gap around the lens and the box to further quiet it down?

Thank you! And yes- i estimate it is 40-50 pounds. It’s going in a crawlspace and needs to vent in/out of the room.

I just received my optical glass- that will be affixed with some form of adhesive gasket.
DavidinGA likes this.
post #4462 of 4660 Old 11-22-2019, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I’ve read one review that said one material difference between the 5050 and the 6050 is that Epson takes the best lenses and puts them in the 6050:

https://www.projectorreviews.com/eps...ew-hardware-1/

“The primary invisible difference between the two, to look at the 50UB series, is the lens. Yes, it is the same 2.1:1 motorized zoom lens, but Epson, of course quality controls the lens. The difference, per Epson, is that Epson pulls the best of the lenses (via QCing them), and saves them for the Pro Cinema 6050UB. I don’t have a breakdown of how many PC6050UB’s Epson sells compared to the other three models combined, but it is the most expensive. I would guess that something like 10% to 20% of the lenses are needed for the 6050UB. I have no idea how much visible difference in clarity there is between the best and the worst of the lenses out of all of them, but, there should be a slight visible difference between the “average 6050UB” and the average 5050UB.”

What do you guys think, is there a material difference between the lenses?
post #4463 of 4660 Old 11-22-2019, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1994 Post(s)
Liked: 2715
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTX^2steve View Post
Santa in the form of a brown suit will be arriving early before all the crazy holiday sales with my new 5050ub! Now is the time for myself to do the upgrade where I have waited long enough. I have had my unbelievable Panasonic AE900U run from 2005 without ANY problems and still on the original lamp!

Upgraded practically everything for 4k/atmos in my theater and the pj is the only thing left.

I know what will happen...next years model will be a black case and native 4k but I hope this modern day projector brings good luck as my panny did for the next X years!

May my EPSON future begin! (that is the s/n checks out with Epson)

Congrats! I too upgraded from a Panny...AE3000...to an Epson 5040...also zero issues with the Panny and so far with the 5040. I’m sure you’ll be impressed with the upgrade/improvement from the Panny to all aspects of the Epson’s performance...even beyond 4K and HDR...for overall PQ...color, contrast, and sharpness...enjoy!

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #4464 of 4660 Old 11-22-2019, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Congrats! I too upgraded from a Panny...AE3000...to an Epson 5040...also zero issues with the Panny and so far with the 5040. I’m sure you’ll be impressed with the upgrade/improvement from the Panny to all aspects of the Epson’s performance...even beyond 4K and HDR...for overall PQ...color, contrast, and sharpness...enjoy!
That was a nice little projector...at least you had 1080p! Ten years I just sat on the side lines waiting and slowing upgrading. The projector will be here later today and then the fun begins for the weekend!

I think I kinda know the answer but with this 5050ub PJ being that it is a native 1080p, the Spears & Munsil UHD HDR Benchmark (UHD Blu-ray Disc) that I bought I don't think I can utilize it to it's fullest potential due to that reason of the 4k up-scaling?

and while I am at it...for my new PJ will come a new theater movie intro! I'm in the "This and That" section of the classifieds...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/216-a...l#post58837462

HTPC 5.1.2 on a budget...Epson 5050UB/120", 4-13.5" JL-Audio Subs, 4-10" JBL Woofers, 4 - Polk Surrounds, JBL Center, 2- Polk Presence speakers, 2 - Yamaha Atmos speakers, Adcom Sub Amp 555MKII, Yamaha Receiver TSR-7810
post #4465 of 4660 Old 11-22-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
Quote:
Is your cable definitely a Fibre Optical HDMI, if it’️s an optical one it will say Source and other end will say Monitor, obviously the monitor end will go into the projector. If it is indeed an optical HDMI then take the end that says Source out of your amp and put it into your Bluray player, you won’️t have sound but you should have picture and if you do then the issue must be a setting on your Denon.

At this point it’️s a case of elimination.
Yes the HDMI has those titles and when I connect it directly to the Epson I get a picture.
I cant find how to make my Denon only passthrough.
Also I got another BD player to work after I changed some settings in that player. So I am trying to reduce every picture enhancer on my other player and on my Dune HD but no luck so far.
post #4466 of 4660 Old 11-22-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTX^2steve View Post
Oh...so that is what dumbbells are for....

Yea, I’ve been working out in order to lift and position my substantial hushbox
post #4467 of 4660 Old 11-22-2019, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by dloiphone View Post
For those of you using a 6050ub with a Xbox one X? How many check marks you getting under 4K tv settings?

Currently have it like this Xbox one x > onkyo tx-nr656>650ub

I have a 5050 with an XBox One X, getting all green check marks except Dolby Vision.

I just received my new unit last week, and still tweaking. But WOW - the picture is a huge improvement over my 5040!!! I loved my 5040, but the 5050 has improved color, contrast, sharpness, black levels - and HDR with the bar is awesome!!

Even my better half noticed the huge improvement - and is happy we upgraded (thank God..)...

skylarlove1999 and momofx like this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Schmidt Haus Theater - WIP (or not) since 2010
post #4468 of 4660 Old 11-22-2019, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:

It says No signal.

Get the BJC Series 3 Active cable. They work flawlessly in long runs.

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store...hdmi-cable.htm

post #4469 of 4660 Old 11-22-2019, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Can people in high ambient lite rooms share their screen/or paint they are using to display the 5050/6050 and do they intend to upgrade the screen or are they happy.

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
post #4470 of 4660 Old 11-22-2019, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3fingerbrown View Post
Guys forgive me for not reading the over 4,000 posts in this thread, but do you think the 5050 is loud enough to want a hush box for it? I’m going to run it on a 160” screen so it might need to go into high power mode for a screen that size. The other benefit of the hush box is it covers up the awful white color and saves me from shelling out another $1,000.
Yup.

I finally downloaded a few sound meter apps to see what it was putting out. Granted this things aren't tremendously accurate, but I was just looking for "directionally accurate." The 3 apps I grabbed (all rated 4.5 or above on the app store) showed in the high 30db to low 40db about 6" in front of the projector.

It didn't bother me at first, but its been bothering me more lately.

If you can build one pretty easily, I'd do it.

Video: Epson 5050 / nVidia Shield / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5050 , Epson , frame interpolation , motion smoothing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page