THE Epson 5050UB/6050UB Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1343Likes

post #31 of 4642 Old 04-05-2019, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked: 3067
Someone really should start a new 5050UB thread in the Front Projectors Great Found Deals! section where street prices and specific vendors can be freely discussed without worrying about the moderators showing up here and deleting a bunch of posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 4642 Old 04-05-2019, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Someone really should start a new 5050UB thread in the Front Projectors Great Found Deals! section where street prices and specific vendors can be freely discussed without worrying about the moderators showing up here and deleting a bunch of posts.
Sounds like you just volunteered yourself haha

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
post #33 of 4642 Old 04-05-2019, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
Love it! I have a 160” screen I’m pushing which I why I needs brighter HDR image.

Thank you for your time and hard work! By the way I used to live in the UK for a couple of years. My family and I just moved back in 2017. Caversham. We miss it like crazy and want to go back!
I've just run through a HDR : Bright setting. I've not tested or tweaked it, so it is an as is!
Time to relax and watch a movie with it

I find the AV community a helpful place and the more we share, the more we all improve our set ups.
It's new tech and new features and there is always something to learn....

Besides having notes is helpful when revisiting something, I'm a fast learner, but I also forget pretty quick too

I like reading, have friends there and visit a couple of times a year!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Sound - Marantz SR6011 (pre/atmos), Yamaha Z9, Mirage Om-6's, Om-C2's, 6x Om-R2's, 4x Nanosat (atmos), Dual Paradigim Servo 15's
Additional - MiniDSP : DDRC-88a, 2x4HD
Source -Panasonic DP-UB420, Toshiba HD-XE1, Sony SCD-XE620
Vision - Epson TW9400, eecolour Lut Box, 120" Spitfire Acoustically Transparent Screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 4642 Old 04-05-2019, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaric View Post
I've just run through a HDR : Bright setting. I've not tested or tweaked it, so it is an as is!

I find the AV community a helpful place and the more we share, the more we all improve our set ups.

Besides having notes is helpful when revisiting something, I'm a fast learner, but I also forget pretty quick too

I was always told Reading is a terrible place to live... I really enjoyed it. Especially our little home right on the Thames!

Thanks for sharing!!!
Alaric likes this.

Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
post #35 of 4642 Old 04-05-2019, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaric View Post

Quick question.... I'll try the settings when I get home but it looks like the Color Temp settings refers to the option that is available when SDR content is on screen. Did you calibrate this "HDR-Bright" settings with SDR content?

post #36 of 4642 Old 04-05-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Quick question.... I'll try the settings when I get home but it looks like the Color Temp settings refers to the option that is available when SDR content is on screen. Did you calibrate this "HDR-Bright" settings with SDR content?
I've based it on Natural, which doesn't have the filter so as to create more light output, but used DCI P3 for hcfr and had the PJ forced to use rec2020 colour space.... The colours won't be as accurate, but you should get a lot more light.
The first ten minutes of Transformers :Last Knight uhd has a fair bit of pop to it and so far nothing nasty has been obvious... I'm shuffling the HDR slider by eye but am somewhere between 7-9 and could probably drop to medium power here and still have strong light output using Natural for HDR stuff!

scottyroo and Luminated67 like this.

Sound - Marantz SR6011 (pre/atmos), Yamaha Z9, Mirage Om-6's, Om-C2's, 6x Om-R2's, 4x Nanosat (atmos), Dual Paradigim Servo 15's
Vision - Epson TW9400, eecolour Lut Box, 120" Spitfire Acoustically Transparent Screen
post #37 of 4642 Old 04-05-2019, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked: 3067
Quote:
Sounds like you just volunteered yourself haha
I would if I was in the market for a new projector and considering the 5050UB. Since I'm not I thought I'd offer a friendly word of advice to those who are and don't want to see their posts deleted by a mod.
post #38 of 4642 Old 04-05-2019, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 19
@scottyroo when do you expect to have your comparison up? I appreciate what you're doing here! I just bought the 3550 and really like the small size, picture quality. But I may switch for the Epson depending on reviews/comparisons. Ease of setup, gaming, fan noise are some reasons.
post #39 of 4642 Old 04-06-2019, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My HDMI splitter is giving me fits. It splits the 4K sinks to the two projectors but not in HDR or the 2020 Color Space. I need to fix the issue so I can get some proper side by side comparisons up.

The Epson is a great projector but it’s not perfect. I really like it though. It’s all about the value prop at the respective price points and if you can live with the niggles that each projector has.

post #40 of 4642 Old 04-06-2019, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
My HDMI splitter is giving me fits. It splits the 4K sinks to the two projectors but not in HDR or the 2020 Color Space. I need to fix the issue so I can get some proper side by side comparisons up.

The Epson is a great projector but it’s not perfect. I really like it though. It’s all about the value prop at the respective price points and if you can live with the niggles that each projector has.
I have tried three or four hdmi 4k splitters and none of them have totally worked. They have all had one glitch or another.

Jack
post #41 of 4642 Old 04-06-2019, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Scott, what are the main drawbacks of the 5050? Super interested in your take as I'm trying to decide on this or spend more for the new JVCs. If I go with epson, I can spend more on sound, but I don't want to be disappointed.
post #42 of 4642 Old 04-06-2019, 11:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Hindman View Post
Quote:

Scott, what are the main drawbacks of the 5050? Super interested in your take as I'm trying to decide on this or spend more for the new JVCs. If I go with epson, I can spend more on sound, but I don't want to be disappointed.
I can't imagine you'd be disappointed, this is their best projector yet. The 5040UB had stellar image quality on all fronts, and this one will be even better.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
post #43 of 4642 Old 04-07-2019, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Hindman View Post

I’ve really enjoyed playing with the 5050 this week. I’m under no embargo so I can talk about it. Expect more reviews to hit on Tuesday though.

Testing the BenQ HT5550 right now as well and there is no about it, the BenQ looks sharper. I have a 160” screen so moving from a 8.3M discrete pixel image the last year and a half to a 1080x2... some people say you can really tell but I can on my 160” screen sitting 16’ away mostly in text. Moving images are another story but there are moments where a sharp line will cut across the screen and it’s not as sharp as I’m used to. I wish it was sharper...That’s not to say it’s not a sharp image. The double e shift really looks better than just 1080p and I leave the 4K enhancement on for all content.

The size of the 5050 is nothing new, but it is big and it is white. Doesn’t look great on my black ceiling. Sucks that I have to pay a grand more to get a black paint job for the 6050.

I really don’t understand why your preferred HDR picture mode can’t be invoked when HDR content is displayed. I don’t like how big the remote is and how far you have to depress the remote buttons to go to memory, load memory, down, down, click. Thank goodness for sequences on my harmony remote. I have the button sequences for my optimized HDR, SDR, and Bright room viewing.

Noise at high lamp is pretty high. It’s really quiet on medium and eco though.

Iris is pretty good. Doesn’t pump on normal scenes and only engages in very low APL scenes. Not very audile but in dead quiet you can hear it diligently working away.

Colors out of the box are pretty good but it is crazy the amount of customization you can do on the 5050. It’s a blessing and a curse. I am fiddling much more with it than I ever have with a projector and my wife hates it when I pull up menus (sequences ftw!). But the level of calibrating that be done with grayscale, gamma, rgbmcy, color temperature, etc etc etc... it’s a tinkerers playground. May seem daunting to some though.

Motion handling is so so. I noticed some stuttering on the tree canopies in some forest pans on Planet Earth 2 that the single chips DLPs like the HT5550 handle really well. That’s being nit picky though. Other than those scenes motion handling has been fine.

I used @Alaric ’s settings with a few tweaks of my own and the PQ is very good. The grayscale calibration really adds a lot of depth and richness to the image.

Input lag is very good at 26ms that I measured. Using HDR Bright settings that Alaric provided, I have played about 4 hours of Halo on my Xbox one x. 4K HDR 60fps gaming is really nice on the 5050!

Frame interpolation ONLY when 4K enhancement is off. Even on 1089p content you have to turn off the enhancement which is a multi step process and is annoying. Personally I think the the image quality looks better the the 4kE on in sports. Just sucks that can’t do frame interpolation in 4K like you can on the HT5550.

Everyone talks about the inky blacks on the Epsons. They are good but I ha e heard JVCs are better. I haven’t seen the JVCs that you might be looking at but I think the only thing those might do a touch better at are blacks. DLP<LCD<LCOS. But I doubt the JVC will be $1,000+ better PQ worth than the 5050.

My wishlist: shrink chassis by 20%, move to same pane resolution as the .67” DLP x2 shifters to get 8.3M pixel image, offer black in 50x0 retail unit, auto HDR mode, smaller remote, invoke remote backlight when any button is pressed, FI in 4K.

I’ll write up a more thorough review but i don’t think you’ll be disappointed with this 5050 with the above in mind. The combo of brightness, contrast, color, and gaming chops will make it a popular projector this year

post #44 of 4642 Old 04-07-2019, 12:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2529 Post(s)
Liked: 1371
Easier than painting a projector, just cover it with black velvet tape for $35 or just buy a couple yards of Triple Black Velvet and attach it with removable velcro or something...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Projection-...AAAOSwVLRaX6eT

Quote:
Everyone talks about the inky blacks on the Epsons. They are good but I ha e heard JVCs are better. I haven’t seen the JVCs that you might be looking at but I think the only thing those might do a touch better at are blacks. DLP<LCD<LCOS. But I doubt the JVC will be $1,000+ better PQ worth than the 5050.
The Epson blacks are not even close to a JVC, it's like the difference between a DLP to the Epson x 3.
Even my older JVC will cream an Epson, a DI just cannot replace that native contrast.

LCOS has a higher pixel fill, the newest JVC's are Native 4k (but not quite as good contrast), and even on the older JVC's, well the JVC E-shift is better than Epsons version.
The older JVC DI is smoother and works better than the Epson (partly because it doesn't have to be as aggressive since the native black level is so high).
The 3D on the JVC's is better than the Epson.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 04-07-2019 at 12:54 AM.
post #45 of 4642 Old 04-07-2019, 12:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2529 Post(s)
Liked: 1371
Quote:
Colors out of the box are pretty good but it is crazy the amount of customization you can do on the 5050. It’s a blessing and a curse. I am fiddling much more with it than I ever have with a projector and my wife hates it when I pull up menus (sequences ftw!). But the level of calibrating that be done with grayscale, gamma, rgbmcy, color temperature, etc etc etc... it’s a tinkerers playground. May seem daunting to some though.
I would start with calibrating the grayscale and check the gamma after you calibrate the grayscale, only use single point gamma changes if you have to as it can add posterization.
Most projectors don't require much calibrating these days, many are pretty close to spot on, but it depends on your screen's color accuracy to some degree.

I just use an older version of Calman 5.x and set the reading to continous, then I watch the bars move as I change the dials. Anyone can do a basic calibration on a projector with the right equipment, it's super super simple, the only really hard part about calibration these days is HDR or if trying to get the gamma perfect. My issue is I think my C6 drifted a bit, seems to be reading green too low maybe.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 04-07-2019 at 12:42 AM.
post #46 of 4642 Old 04-07-2019, 04:09 AM

Quote:
I’ve really enjoyed playing with the 5050 this week. I’m under no embargo so I can talk about it. Expect more reviews to hit on Tuesday though.

Testing the BenQ HT5550 right now as well and there is no about it, the BenQ looks sharper. I have a 160” screen so moving from a 8.3M discrete pixel image the last year and a half to a 1080x2... some people say you can really tell but I can on my 160” screen sitting 16’ away mostly in text. Moving images are another story but there are moments where a sharp line will cut across the screen and it’s not as sharp as I’m used to. I wish it was sharper...That’s not to say it’s not a sharp image. The double e shift really looks better than just 1080p and I leave the 4K enhancement on for all content.

The size of the 5050 is nothing new, but it is big and it is white. Doesn’t look great on my black ceiling. Sucks that I have to pay a grand more to get a black paint job for the 6050.

I really don’t understand why your preferred HDR picture mode can’t be invoked when HDR content is displayed. I don’t like how big the remote is and how far you have to depress the remote buttons to go to memory, load memory, down, down, click. Thank goodness for sequences on my harmony remote. I have the button sequences for my optimized HDR, SDR, and Bright room viewing.

Noise at high lamp is pretty high. It’s really quiet on medium and eco though.

Iris is pretty good. Doesn’t pump on normal scenes and only engages in very low APL scenes. Not very audile but in dead quiet you can hear it diligently working away.

Motion handling is so so. I noticed some stuttering on the tree canopies in some forest pans on Planet Earth 2 that the single chips DLPs like the HT5550 handle really well. That’s being nit picky though. Other than those scenes motion handling has been fine.

I used @Alaric ’s settings with a few tweaks of my own and the PQ is very good. The grayscale calibration really adds a lot of depth and richness to the image.

Input lag is very good at 26ms that I measured. Using HDR Bright settings that Alaric provided, I have played about 4 hours of Halo on my Xbox one x. 4K HDR 60fps gaming is really nice on the 5050!

Frame interpolation ONLY when 4K enhancement is off. Even on 1089p content you have to turn off the enhancement which is a multi step process and is annoying. Personally I think the the image quality looks better the the 4kE on in sports. Just sucks that can’t do frame interpolation in 4K like you can on the HT5550.

My wishlist: shrink chassis by 20%, move to same pane resolution as the .67” DLP x2 shifters to get 8.3M pixel image, offer black in 50x0 retail unit, auto HDR mode, smaller remote, invoke remote backlight when any button is pressed, FI in 4K.

I’ll write up a more thorough review but i don’t think you’ll be disappointed with this 5050 with the above in mind. The combo of brightness, contrast, color, and gaming chops will make it a popular projector this year
The Epson USA market idea's are a little odd. The EU versions have the plain black one as the cheapest! You have to upgrade to the Wireless version here to get white and whilst it has 18gb hdmi, it needs a cable as the wireless in 10gb!

The EU version has a firmware update which means that you can use 4k and FI but it is only on a 1080p source! Don't think that it will happen for pure 4k alas!

post #47 of 4642 Old 04-07-2019, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Q: Why use EDID:Normal in the settings? Shouldn't it always be Enhanced?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
post #48 of 4642 Old 04-07-2019, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janhaus View Post
Q: Why use EDID:Normal in the settings? Shouldn't it always be Enhanced?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I was wondering the same thing and actually have a question related to this.

My HDMI splitter works great in HDR with BenQ projectors I am testing, the HT5550 and TK800M. However when I have the Epson 5050 as one of the receiving displays in the split, the output signal is not HDR... it is 8 bit SDR. Anyone with experience here that can help?

post #49 of 4642 Old 04-07-2019, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
I was wondering the same thing and actually have a question related to this.

My HDMI splitter works great in HDR with BenQ projectors I am testing, the HT5550 and TK800M. However when I have the Epson 5050 as one of the receiving displays in the split, the output signal is not HDR... it is 8 bit SDR. Anyone with experience here that can help?
How would you compare the calibrated lumens of the BenQ 5550 and the Epson 5050? Or if not calibrated, at least in a color accurate mode for each of them. Do you have a lumens measurement for that? I have a 150" 16:9 screen that I use sometimes with ambient lighting to watch sports and sometimes with all the lights off in a room with dark walls and ceiling for movies. It's a bit of a multipurpose room in that regard. I need all the extra brightness I can get from the projector.
post #50 of 4642 Old 04-07-2019, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmarket View Post
How would you compare the calibrated lumens of the BenQ 5550 and the Epson 5050? Or if not calibrated, at least in a color accurate mode for each of them. Do you have a lumens measurement for that? I have a 150" 16:9 screen that I use sometimes with ambient lighting to watch sports and sometimes with all the lights off in a room with dark walls and ceiling for movies. It's a bit of a multipurpose room in that regard. I need all the extra brightness I can get from the projector.

Calibrated lumens are very similar for both at around 1,000 lumens. That is with both P3 filters on with HDR content. Both have really spectacular calibrated images. Out of the box, my untrained eye prefers the BenQ HDR image compared to default 5050 settings. However, with some fiddling the Epson 5050 can put a great calibrated HDR image on the screen as well. The auto tone mapping on the HT5550 does a really good job with keeping the HDR image bright. 5050 with the dynamic range slider set to 1 or 2 has a nice bright HDR image but the tone mapping is not automatic. I personally prefer the HDR image on the BenQ by a hair. I never have to touch the settings. Click play and enjoy.

However the extra lumens headroom the 5050 has is something the HT5550 does not offer. For a BRIGHT room image with slightly compromised colors, it is going to offer a more robust package for sports and gaming.

Both are great projectors and both have their areas of strength and weaknesses.
Xavier3 likes this.

post #51 of 4642 Old 04-07-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Calibrated lumens are very similar for both at around 1,000 lumens. That is with both P3 filters on with HDR content. Both have really spectacular calibrated images. Out of the box, my untrained eye prefers the BenQ HDR image compared to default 5050 settings. However, with some fiddling the Epson 5050 can put a great calibrated HDR image on the screen as well. The auto tone mapping on the HT5550 does a really good job with keeping the HDR image bright. 5050 with the dynamic range slider set to 1 or 2 has a nice bright HDR image but the tone mapping is not automatic. I personally prefer the HDR image on the BenQ by a hair. I never have to touch the settings. Click play and enjoy.

However the extra lumens headroom the 5050 has is something the HT5550 does not offer. For a BRIGHT room image with slightly compromised colors, it is going to offer a more robust package for sports and gaming.

Both are great projectors and both have their areas of strength and weaknesses.

Good to know. I'd say about 30% to 40% of my viewing is sports. That may be my push to the 5050.
post #52 of 4642 Old 04-07-2019, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

BenQ also has another upcoming PJ that will be postitioned for sports. It is going to be a brighter variant of the HT3550.

post #53 of 4642 Old 04-07-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
BenQ also has another upcoming PJ that will be postitioned for sports. It is going to be a brighter variant of the HT3550.

I seem to need that jack of all trades master of none projector. The room can get very dark with dark carpet, walls and ceiling for movies. However, it's also a man cave with plenty of sports memorabilia for lights on and watching games. Given the size of the screen whichever projector scratches that itch is a good fit. I also really enjoy 3d so that's another priority.
post #54 of 4642 Old 04-07-2019, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I seem to need that jack of all trades master of none projector. The room can get very dark with dark carpet, walls and ceiling for movies. However, it's also a man cave with plenty of sports memorabilia for lights on and watching games. Given the size of the screen whichever projector scratches that itch is a good fit. I also really enjoy 3d so that's another priority.

If you don’t mind the chassis size or the price you’ll be happy with the 5050. If you want to see if the “bright HT3550” will be worth $1,500 to wait for a few months that would be my recommended plan B.

post #55 of 4642 Old 04-07-2019, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Quote:

If you don’t mind the chassis size or the price you’ll be happy with the 5050. If you want to see if the “bright HT3550” will be worth $1,500 to wait for a few months that would be my recommended plan B.
The “bright HT3550” you’re referring to isn’t the TK800M or HT5550, right? Is it going to be roughly the same price as the HT3550? This is the first time I’m hearing about it!
post #56 of 4642 Old 04-07-2019, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltron View Post
The “bright HT3550” you’re referring to isn’t the TK800M or HT5550, right? Is it going to be roughly the same price as the HT3550? This is the first time I’m hearing about it!
Correct!

post #57 of 4642 Old 04-07-2019, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltron View Post
Correct!
Interesting... thanks! Any idea when you might be getting a review unit? &#x1f61b;
post #58 of 4642 Old 04-07-2019, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Not quite sure... hopefully a couple of months from now!

post #59 of 4642 Old 04-07-2019, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
So if I seldom watch sports, and my room can be low to dark, I should choose the 5550, or 3550?
And those will have better motion handling and better contrast?
What would be the cons?
Loud fan?
post #60 of 4642 Old 04-07-2019, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum7 View Post
So if I seldom watch sports, and my room can be low to dark, I should choose the 5550, or 3550?
And those will have better motion handling and better contrast?
What would be the cons?
Loud fan?
No, not better contrast.
esk1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5050 , Epson , frame interpolation , motion smoothing