THE Epson 5050UB/6050UB Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 219 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2281Likes

post #6541 of 6829 Old 05-21-2020, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehard11 View Post
Hi all, I am new to the forum and just got a 6050 set up. Long story short, the picture looks good but honestly I’m not impressed by the sharpness/clarity. I am thinking something has to be wrong. This is my first projector btw.

I have confirmed that I am outputting 4K HDR signal and am using the digital cinema picture mode. I changed the image enhancement from preset 2 to 3 as some have said that will make it a little sharper but no change really.

My room is light controlled and I am using an Xbox one X with a 120 inch silver ticket white screen. My receiver is a Yamaha a2060 which was very expensive so I know it’s not the receiver. My projector lens is about 16 ft away from the screen and I have a fiber optic hdmi cable. I don’t have any keystone but did have to do quite a bit of lens shift to get the picture centered.

Like I said, the picture is good but I am coming from a 65 inch 2017 Sony 4k HDR LED and that just looked way sharper. I could walk up to my screen and 1 foot away could not see any pixels. The epson I get close and see every single pixel.

Is this just the nature of the faux 4K shifters? I watched the 4K HDR Blu-rays of Godzilla, BVS and Dunkirk and also lion king live action on the Disney app and like I said they all looked really good in action, but I couldn’t stop myself from thinking “this can’t be as sharp as this gets” In every one of them.

All the reviews talk about how the epson faux 4K is so good that there is no major difference between the native 4K projectors which further makes me confused.

Any ideas or help is much appreciated.
Make sure you calibrate the colors and they are converged properly, that could contribute. Up close you will be able to see it isn't as sense since it is larger so there will be less pixels/sq inch.

6050ub here and absolutely as sharp as any other 4K I have.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6542 of 6829 Old 05-21-2020, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Hi all, I am new to the forum and just got a 6050 set up. Long story short, the picture looks good but honestly I’m not impressed by the sharpness/clarity. I am thinking something has to be wrong. This is my first projector btw.

I have confirmed that I am outputting 4K HDR signal and am using the digital cinema picture mode. I changed the image enhancement from preset 2 to 3 as some have said that will make it a little sharper but no change really.

My room is light controlled and I am using an Xbox one X with a 120 inch silver ticket white screen. My receiver is a Yamaha a2060 which was very expensive so I know it’s not the receiver. My projector lens is about 16 ft away from the screen and I have a fiber optic hdmi cable. I don’t have any keystone but did have to do quite a bit of lens shift to get the picture centered.

Like I said, the picture is good but I am coming from a 65 inch 2017 Sony 4k HDR LED and that just looked way sharper. I could walk up to my screen and 1 foot away could not see any pixels. The epson I get close and see every single pixel.

Is this just the nature of the faux 4K shifters? I watched the 4K HDR Blu-rays of Godzilla, BVS and Dunkirk and also lion king live action on the Disney app and like I said they all looked really good in action, but I couldn’t stop myself from thinking “this can’t be as sharp as this gets” In every one of them.

All the reviews talk about how the epson faux 4K is so good that there is no major difference between the native 4K projectors which further makes me confused.

For sharpness.. I like the following..

1 - I set sharpness to 15
2 - I set the enhanced sharpness (preset to 4)
3 - once you choose preset 4, turn off all DNR NR...
4- Don't use the 4k enhanced... These are 1080p panels.. And most sources are 1080p..The image will be way sharper in 1080p turning off fake 4k..
You can really see this with Xbox one x and ps4 pro games... Take a 1080p game or even 4k game... Have Epson use its 4k, the image will soften up... Yes you see less pixels, but I like razer sharp detail...

4k movies look not bad, in fake 4 k mode, but look sharper if you downsample the 4k movie to 1080p...

Unfortunately unlike 4k flat screen tv's, Epson 4k is not even full 4k.. Like half of that... Hence why soft image...

Just my 2 cents...

The reason I have the Epson, is that blacks, and colours and detail (1080p mode) are stunning... Looks like a flat panel on wall.. Optics in Epson are amazing...

Hope this helps and at least in my system, these settings work best...

I like to use Steam from computer also and do windows work.. Using fake 4k mode makes text soft... Turning off 4k mode and sending 1080p is way sharper.. Like putting projector from out of focus to in focus...

I'm doing a 125" screen from 11 feet away...

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Last edited by muad'dib; 05-21-2020 at 07:40 PM.
post #6543 of 6829 Old 05-21-2020, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1762 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Quote:

How far away is the seating position?

Try a real 4K source:
https://4kmedia.org/real-or-fake-4k/

LE: Dunkirk and BVS should be real 4K.

Last edited by noob00224; 05-21-2020 at 07:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6544 of 6829 Old 05-21-2020, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
How far away is the seating position?

Try a real 4K source:
https://4kmedia.org/real-or-fake-4k/

LE: Dunkirk and BVS should be real 4K.
I agree also.. Some movies look so unsharp even though they say 4k...Oblivion comes to mind... The 1080p version is razer sharp.. The UHD version is very soft.

post #6545 of 6829 Old 05-21-2020, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2074 Post(s)
Liked: 2159
Quote:

Are you streaming 4K content or playing a 4K disc? What specific content?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tristan Jones
post #6546 of 6829 Old 05-21-2020, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Recently got a 5050 and 120" screen set up in my dedicated room. Still a work in progress, but I've got some thoughts at the end of my long-winded ramblings below...

Using 30' Monoprice premium certified HDMI without issue from receiver to projector, and 20' & 25' cables from Xbox One X and Sony x700 4k bluray to receiver, and 15' Monoprice premium certified between AppleTV4k to receiver. So in summary, up to 30', the premium certified Monoprice cables work fine. Got all the checkboxes on this and that, no issues.

My room is a very good chunk of one half the basement, 12' wide, 28' long, and 7' ceiling; not great, but manageable. What is not manageable is very light carpet and white walls/ceiling. Since it's a dedicated room, I decided to start project blackout. 30 yards of triple black velvet, and a couple cheap black rugs from Lowes made a world of difference. It's all still a very early work in progress, but I thought it would be nice to share some pics of what you give up when you've got close (white) side walls, and very close (white) ceiling, and light carpet close to the screen, vs what you get when you start blacking things out... I'm going to order up the roughly 60 more yards I need to finish, and be able to wrap speakers, and whatnot with the excess.

Due to a "wonderful" gas fireplace, I can't do a painted wall, so I did the next best thing, I hung a 120" 16x9 screen in front of the bump-in for the fireplace. Now, that leaves me precious little room between the ceiling and screen, and screen to floor. Gotta love houses built in the 1950's... But, all that space behind the screen works great for the gear and front pair of subs and amps. I was able to wrap the velvet in such a way that I can still get behind the screen, there's ample space for air circulation and whatnot. I got a cheap Elite Sable 120" screen, and I'm giving SERIOUS consideration to building a false wall and going DIY spandex scope screen from wall to wall, but for now, the Elite 120" is working pretty well.

Hopefully the pics go up in the right order, but the first pic is a grab from Rogue One, with just the screen hung and projector mounted on the ceiling. I have 13' from screen to my seating, and the projector lens is just about 17.5' from the screen. Light spill is atrocious from everywhere. Ignore the old tv stand and whatnot, that's not the point of concern.

The 2nd-7th pics are just some pics showing the 30 yards of black hole on a roll, to velvet on walls progress. Staple gun. It ain't pretty with lights on when you get up close and personal, but you see pretty much nothing beyond 2' from the walls with all lights on, and you see nothing at all with lights out.

Pic 8 is after 88" or so of velvet on walls and ceiling; it's pretty close to the first pic for comparison.

Pic 9 is after getting the velvet below the screen and black rugs down; it's not the exact same shot as before, but still shows the black level improvement. Also have velvet drape over the entry door.

Now, yes, I'm going to get black paint for the HVAC duct, I'm also going to cut out covers for the can lights (don't usually use them anyway) for the front 2. Yes, I know the pics show it as a mess, but those were all work-in-progress pics to show improvements.

No, the projector isn't calibrated (not enough hours on it yet). Yes, this is my first FP system. The jump from 70" to 120" is pretty significant. I still need to figure out what I need to look at for HDR; seems I have to set the slider down quite a bit to get what looks good to me; usually between 3 & 5 depending on movie/show. High power, filter engaged for HDR with no iris, eco and about -6 iris for SDR. Threw in Alaric's settings as a start as I'm breaking-in the lamp. I'm planning to get it calibrated once I get about 200hrs on it, which at this rate, is going to be a few months. Still fighting with my harmony and powering down the projector; it works from blu-ray activity, but not any of the activities I programmed for HBO/Prime video/iTunes movies/Netflix activities I set up for my AppleTV. Pretty sure I just have to change it to not require the double press to get it working 100%.

So, in summary, I can say that in a room with serious room compromises going in, black velvet is the cure for black level blues. The OOB picture is pretty darn good! It is a light cannon. Mine is quiet enough even on high and being only 3' over my head and about 4' behind me. It's near silent on medium and eco relative to the ambient noise floor in the room.

I replaced a 2016 vintage Vizio D series 4k 70" with the Epson 5050UB and Elite 120" setup, so I'm completely new to HDR and how it should look. I will say that the size jump from 70 to 120 inches is, frankly, incredible. Gaming is pretty wild on the projection setup as well, and I think the projector has lower input lag than my TV did! I'm also QUITE surprised the cheapish epson universal mount I got for the projector doesn't complain when my 4 subs start doing their thing. I expected "fuzzy" when bass goes crazy, since I'm 120dB capable at 14Hz and the back wall is flexing and the HT marketplace seats are giving me a back massage, but the screen and projector aren't showing any distress or movement.

I've read the entire thread, and it's a doozy, so wanted to thank everyone for letting a fool like me learn from your hard knocks, so I don't have to repeat the mistakes. At some point I may decide to put all my gear in the back utility room behind the dedicated room, but for now, receiver, Appletv4k, and amps behind screen, bluray and xbox on shelf unit directly right of right-most seat works well. I guess the ideal thing would be projector in utility room as well, but I'm concerned that with a 25' throw, I'd lose too much light; the 14.5' throw I'm running now seems to have me quite bright enough (aka, start to squint on some very bright stuff). I'm sure some hours on the lamp and a proper calibration will fix it right up though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	No velvet.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	514.1 KB
ID:	2730422   Click image for larger version

Name:	black hole on a roll.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	618.2 KB
ID:	2730424   Click image for larger version

Name:	start velvet.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	518.4 KB
ID:	2730426   Click image for larger version

Name:	behind screen.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	480.1 KB
ID:	2730428   Click image for larger version

Name:	45 inches of velvet.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	564.7 KB
ID:	2730430  

Name:	88 inches of velvet.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	695.3 KB
ID:	2730432   Click image for larger version

Name:	88 inches of velvet 2.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	601.8 KB
ID:	2730434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Before black rugs.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	2730436   Click image for larger version

Name:	after black rugs.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	2730438  

MiniDSP 2x4HD, UMIK-1, REW... The holy trinity for running multiple subs.

Espon 5050UB, 120" screen, AppleTV4k, Harmony Elite, Sony UBP-X700, Pioneer Elite VSX-LX504, Outlaw 7000x, MiniDSP 2x4HD, 2x HSU TN1220HO subs, 2x HSU VTF-15H Mk2 subs, Defintive Technology speakers: CLR2002 x3 for FR, C, FL; BP2x SR & SL; BP1.2x SBL & SBR; ProMonitor 800 x4 height speakers.
post #6547 of 6829 Old 05-22-2020, 12:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Quote:

There’s a couple of household duties to perform which you might or might not have done but will go over them anyway and always best to leave to projector running for about 20-30 mins before doing so it’s warmed up properly.

1: Have you done the focus adjustment? This really needs to be done with e-shift turned off and up close and personal with the screen, move it both directions so you know the exact point it’s at its sharpest.

2: Panel alignment, you can do each section or full panel... in my opinion do full panel unless you really know what you are doing.

Panel alignment process explained

If you are sat from a 65” screen at 12 ft away and then sit the same distance from a 120” screen you will get the perception that you have lost sharpness, I suggest moving to about 4.5-5ft from you TV to get the same perspective.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)

Movie Image collection
post #6548 of 6829 Old 05-22-2020, 12:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorny View Post
Recently got a 5050 and 120" screen set up in my dedicated room. Still a work in progress, but I've got some thoughts at the end of my long-winded ramblings below...

Using 30' Monoprice premium certified HDMI without issue from receiver to projector, and 20' & 25' cables from Xbox One X and Sony x700 4k bluray to receiver, and 15' Monoprice premium certified between AppleTV4k to receiver. So in summary, up to 30', the premium certified Monoprice cables work fine. Got all the checkboxes on this and that, no issues.

My room is a very good chunk of one half the basement, 12' wide, 28' long, and 7' ceiling; not great, but manageable. What is not manageable is very light carpet and white walls/ceiling. Since it's a dedicated room, I decided to start project blackout. 30 yards of triple black velvet, and a couple cheap black rugs from Lowes made a world of difference. It's all still a very early work in progress, but I thought it would be nice to share some pics of what you give up when you've got close (white) side walls, and very close (white) ceiling, and light carpet close to the screen, vs what you get when you start blacking things out... I'm going to order up the roughly 60 more yards I need to finish, and be able to wrap speakers, and whatnot with the excess.

Due to a "wonderful" gas fireplace, I can't do a painted wall, so I did the next best thing, I hung a 120" 16x9 screen in front of the bump-in for the fireplace. Now, that leaves me precious little room between the ceiling and screen, and screen to floor. Gotta love houses built in the 1950's... But, all that space behind the screen works great for the gear and front pair of subs and amps. I was able to wrap the velvet in such a way that I can still get behind the screen, there's ample space for air circulation and whatnot. I got a cheap Elite Sable 120" screen, and I'm giving SERIOUS consideration to building a false wall and going DIY spandex scope screen from wall to wall, but for now, the Elite 120" is working pretty well.

Hopefully the pics go up in the right order, but the first pic is a grab from Rogue One, with just the screen hung and projector mounted on the ceiling. I have 13' from screen to my seating, and the projector lens is just about 17.5' from the screen. Light spill is atrocious from everywhere. Ignore the old tv stand and whatnot, that's not the point of concern.

The 2nd-7th pics are just some pics showing the 30 yards of black hole on a roll, to velvet on walls progress. Staple gun. It ain't pretty with lights on when you get up close and personal, but you see pretty much nothing beyond 2' from the walls with all lights on, and you see nothing at all with lights out.

Pic 8 is after 88" or so of velvet on walls and ceiling; it's pretty close to the first pic for comparison.

Pic 9 is after getting the velvet below the screen and black rugs down; it's not the exact same shot as before, but still shows the black level improvement. Also have velvet drape over the entry door.

Now, yes, I'm going to get black paint for the HVAC duct, I'm also going to cut out covers for the can lights (don't usually use them anyway) for the front 2. Yes, I know the pics show it as a mess, but those were all work-in-progress pics to show improvements.

No, the projector isn't calibrated (not enough hours on it yet). Yes, this is my first FP system. The jump from 70" to 120" is pretty significant. I still need to figure out what I need to look at for HDR; seems I have to set the slider down quite a bit to get what looks good to me; usually between 3 & 5 depending on movie/show. High power, filter engaged for HDR with no iris, eco and about -6 iris for SDR. Threw in Alaric's settings as a start as I'm breaking-in the lamp. I'm planning to get it calibrated once I get about 200hrs on it, which at this rate, is going to be a few months. Still fighting with my harmony and powering down the projector; it works from blu-ray activity, but not any of the activities I programmed for HBO/Prime video/iTunes movies/Netflix activities I set up for my AppleTV. Pretty sure I just have to change it to not require the double press to get it working 100%.

So, in summary, I can say that in a room with serious room compromises going in, black velvet is the cure for black level blues. The OOB picture is pretty darn good! It is a light cannon. Mine is quiet enough even on high and being only 3' over my head and about 4' behind me. It's near silent on medium and eco relative to the ambient noise floor in the room.

I replaced a 2016 vintage Vizio D series 4k 70" with the Epson 5050UB and Elite 120" setup, so I'm completely new to HDR and how it should look. I will say that the size jump from 70 to 120 inches is, frankly, incredible. Gaming is pretty wild on the projection setup as well, and I think the projector has lower input lag than my TV did! I'm also QUITE surprised the cheapish epson universal mount I got for the projector doesn't complain when my 4 subs start doing their thing. I expected "fuzzy" when bass goes crazy, since I'm 120dB capable at 14Hz and the back wall is flexing and the HT marketplace seats are giving me a back massage, but the screen and projector aren't showing any distress or movement.

I've read the entire thread, and it's a doozy, so wanted to thank everyone for letting a fool like me learn from your hard knocks, so I don't have to repeat the mistakes. At some point I may decide to put all my gear in the back utility room behind the dedicated room, but for now, receiver, Appletv4k, and amps behind screen, bluray and xbox on shelf unit directly right of right-most seat works well. I guess the ideal thing would be projector in utility room as well, but I'm concerned that with a 25' throw, I'd lose too much light; the 14.5' throw I'm running now seems to have me quite bright enough (aka, start to squint on some very bright stuff). I'm sure some hours on the lamp and a proper calibration will fix it right up though.
Looking great my friend, real nice job. I makes my laugh when newbies talk about fully light control thinking that’s the ability to turn all the lights off and think because they can’t see in the dark that’s the same thing as what we call fully light controlled. LOL

Nice example of showing how something as simple as adding a rug changes the black level even after you had done everything else, I did the same thing and noticed a similar improvement.

It’s a labour if love this hobby and all the hard effort yields results, shame you hadn’t seen my thread over on AVForums about self adhesive velour flock, basically stick it on like wallpaper and has roughly the same light absorbing properties as the triple black but a lot less work involved in mounting it. The third image I took for a fellow member how was having to add ducting along the ceiling and was worried would it still be noticeable so this image has actually be over brightened to show the ducting I had to use.

Since those photos I added a panel of the flock to cover the window and covered the radiator.

Took the last image from Dunkirk that I watched last night.

Movie collection from the Epson

P.S. Currently building up my Star Wars collection in 4K, man are the early stuff expensive in 4K.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7B883F91-DAC4-4874-8073-7B1AFA98E372.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	2730460   Click image for larger version

Name:	49B32AA3-422A-4EF4-A115-06D92FCFC69E.png
Views:	88
Size:	3.39 MB
ID:	2730462   Click image for larger version

Name:	83A9CBAA-47F8-44B2-93AB-C6E0E3F54BB4.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	2730464   Click image for larger version

Name:	D2C261C8-E0BB-4058-B8A3-2415CA68E0A9.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	2730466  

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)

Movie Image collection

Last edited by Luminated67; 05-22-2020 at 03:45 AM.
post #6549 of 6829 Old 05-22-2020, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks all, I did the lens focus with the e shift turned off and then made some very minor adjustments on the panel alignment.

I think it helped for sure but who knows could be the placebo effect. Overall the movies still look excellent and I plan on keeping this projector because it’s so solid all around.

The text on the Xbox home page still leaves some sharpness to be desired, even at distances of 10-12 ft on 120 inch screen. I think it’s just the nature of the faux 4K and a difference that big reviewer on YouTube noted as well when doing the direct comparison to the benq 5550.
post #6550 of 6829 Old 05-22-2020, 06:20 AM

Also my next question - I am using the digital cinema picture setting and only change I made was the image enhancement preset and also turned the power consumption from defaulted medium to high.

The picture is a little dim in my completely light controlled room but I think it’s maybe because I am used to LED? Granted I never used torch mode on LEDs I always used the movie mode. Any recommendations on improving the brightness a bit without actually adjusting brightness and negatively impacting rest of picture?

I know all projectors and environments are a little different but any standard calibration settings out there that people have found beneficial?
post #6551 of 6829 Old 05-22-2020, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks all, I did the lens focus with the e shift turned off and then made some very minor adjustments on the panel alignment.

I think it helped for sure but who knows could be the placebo effect. Overall the movies still look excellent and I plan on keeping this projector because it’s so solid all around.

The text on the Xbox home page still leaves some sharpness to be desired, even at distances of 10-12 ft on 120 inch screen. I think it’s just the nature of the faux 4K and a difference that big reviewer on YouTube noted as well when doing the direct comparison to the benq 5550.

When XBOX designed the user interface they didn't test it on a 120 inch screen. If you want the sharpest picture with the best HDR buy a 32 inch 4k monitor. If any projector manufacturers were being honest with you they didn't design a projector for gaming or looking at the user interface. The performance of the projector is optimized for watching movies, first and foremost.

Expecting an essentially reflective vinyl surface 120 inches in size to be identical in performance to a hard glass 65 inch surface isn't based in logic.

You are comparing two different technologies. It would be like complaining that the 65 inch image isn't as immersive as the 120 inch screen. If I understand you correctly you haven't even used a true 4K movie on disc for testing purposes as of yet. That is like complaining about a Ferrari being slow when you haven't yet even taken it out of third gear. You need to spend less time complaining and more time fine tuning and testing IMHO before your opinion would have value to this thread.

The BenQ 5550 is also a pixel shifter so saying the Epson is less sharp because it is also a pixel shifter holds no water . The BenQ is true 4k meaning that it does put 8.3 million pixels on screen.

At the difference you are sitting from your screen size you are not able to discern the resolution difference. A native 4K projector not using any pixel shifting to display all 8.3 million pixels certainly should have a more stable image and appear sharper. The lens is also a variable that greatly influences sharpness. Even with the same product line the lens quality will vary.

Luminated67 likes this.

Tristan Jones
post #6552 of 6829 Old 05-22-2020, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Like I stated earlier, set Xbox to 1080p output.. and Now your menus etc will be much sharper..
The Xbox has a cool feature.. If you set it to 1080p it will play all native 1080p games as is.. and only when a game is true 4k, the Xbox will then send a 4k output even though you had xbox set to 1080p..

But since I like the ultimate sharpness, I got a hdfury device and told it to lie to all sources in my chain. It tells them my projector is only 1080p, so any sources that are 4k,will downsample to 1080p..And I get a much sharper image...

Its so sharp in 1080p, that all my friends that have 4k panels at home, think I'm actually displaying video on projector in 4k..

covsound1 and skylarlove1999 like this.

Last edited by muad'dib; 05-22-2020 at 07:49 AM.
post #6553 of 6829 Old 05-22-2020, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Also my next question - I am using the digital cinema picture setting and only change I made was the image enhancement preset and also turned the power consumption from defaulted medium to high.

The picture is a little dim in my completely light controlled room but I think it’s maybe because I am used to LED? Granted I never used torch mode on LEDs I always used the movie mode. Any recommendations on improving the brightness a bit without actually adjusting brightness and negatively impacting rest of picture?

I know all projectors and environments are a little different but any standard calibration settings out there that people have found beneficial?
OK firstly you should only be using Cinema or Digital Cinema modes when your projector is being feed a 4K HDR signal, otherwise Natural is the most accurate out of the box setting for 1080P etc. Alas room conditions have an enormous affect on your picture quality, especially shadow detail.

Another thing, most TV settings are overtly bright with both brightness and contrast set far to high in their default settings. I’m willing to bet if you got it calibrated professional you would think it looked dull.
skylarlove1999 likes this.

Movie Image collection

Last edited by Luminated67; 05-22-2020 at 08:59 AM.
post #6554 of 6829 Old 05-22-2020, 11:18 AM

All my tests have been 4K blu rays. I said as much in my original post so your Ferrari scenario is useless. Not complaining, just trying to find the best settings so I can set and forget. Tfoh with your keyboard warrior response
post #6555 of 6829 Old 05-22-2020, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked: 3834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
Looking great my friend, real nice job. I makes my laugh when newbies talk about fully light control thinking that’s the ability to turn all the lights off and think because they can’t see in the dark that’s the same thing as what we call fully light controlled. LOL
Haha, that’s basically what I thought when I bought my first PJ just a few years ago. I’m sure some of y’all have been in the home theater hobby much longer, but finally getting to experience a dedicated and blacked out room is truly a thing of beauty, especially with the 5050UB and the added immersion it provides. It’s incredible just how much reducing reflections in room improves contrast and the black levels.

I must say the optics on my 5050 are amazing, because the image is razor sharp edge to edge, considerably better than I could get with my last two PJ’s across the entire screen, and it’s very apparent when playing video games. I’m currently watching my son play Spider-Man on the PS4 Pro and this game looks incredible. I played it some at the last house on the Epson 3700 and it looked pretty good in 1080P, but this current setup, the resolution bump, and the added HDR truly elevates the graphics to another level.

My triple black velvet is supposed to arrive today, so that’s cool. I’m still not certain how I want to ceiling mount it, but I’ve read a few of those threads on AVS. Will at least do the walls and floor this weekend; nothing too extreme but at least 3-4’ in each direction should be more than adequate, but I only bought 10 yards initially to see if I like the quality.
reechings likes this.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA TV1512 x2; MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, MiniDSP 2x4 HD
PJ: Epson 5050UB
Screen: Silver Ticket 106" HC
post #6556 of 6829 Old 05-22-2020, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
All my tests have been 4K blu rays. I said as much in my original post so your Ferrari scenario is useless. Not complaining, just trying to find the best settings so I can set and forget. Tfoh with your keyboard warrior response
LOL. Maybe try a real UHD player rather than your XBOX. Very classy post. You certainly are ingratiating yourself to your fellow owners and AVS Forum members.

biglen likes this.

Tristan Jones

Last edited by skylarlove1999; 05-22-2020 at 01:08 PM.
post #6557 of 6829 Old 05-22-2020, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post
Haha, that’s basically what I thought when I bought my first PJ just a few years ago. I’m sure some of y’all have been in the home theater hobby much longer, but finally getting to experience a dedicated and blacked out room is truly a thing of beauty, especially with the 5050UB and the added immersion it provides. It’s incredible just how much reducing reflections in room improves contrast and the black levels.

I must say the optics on my 5050 are amazing, because the image is razor sharp edge to edge, considerably better than I could get with my last two PJ’s across the entire screen, and it’s very apparent when playing video games. I’m currently watching my son play Spider-Man on the PS4 Pro and this game looks incredible. I played it some at the last house on the Epson 3700 and it looked pretty good in 1080P, but this current setup, the resolution bump, and the added HDR truly elevates the graphics to another level.

My triple black velvet is supposed to arrive today, so that’s cool. I’m still not certain how I want to ceiling mount it, but I’ve read a few of those threads on AVS. Will at least do the walls and floor this weekend; nothing too extreme but at least 3-4’ in each direction should be more than adequate, but I only bought 10 yards initially to see if I like the quality.
I found that the first 6ft had the most affect of both blacks and contrast but I extended mine back to 10ft which was just behind my seats as this removed the slight reflection from the dark grey walls and locks your concentration firmly on the screen.

If you are debating how to mount it then maybe the stuff I used might just be the ticket. Here’s the link to my build and to the stuff I used, good read and some useful info in there hopefully.

Modest Home Cinema Room

Self Adhesive Velvet Flock

I’m sure someone in the US will be selling it or something very similar.
skylarlove1999 and Sekosche like this.

Movie Image collection

Last edited by Luminated67; 05-22-2020 at 01:07 PM.
post #6558 of 6829 Old 05-22-2020, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I’ll ignore the tale end of your reply to @skylarlove1999 and try and help you if I can.

OK you are using 4K discs, so you are correct you really want to be using cinema or digital cinema as these two mode use the built in filter and give you the wide colour gamut, the side effect of this is it cuts the light output but almost 50%. I’m not going to comment on the pluses and minuses of the Xbox as a Bluray player because I don’t own one or have the experience to give any advice but I do know that the Panasonic UB420 is absolutely brilliant and with the option to switch it to SDR 2020 I found both blacks and shadow detail to be better so that might be an option. In the meantime have you fiddled with the HDR slider in the menu whilst watching a movie, this adjusts the image and you might find a setting that looks right to you in there, I found between number 4 and 6 worked best for me.

What’s the distance from the projector lens to the screen?

Out of curiosity does these images look dull or lacking in anyway, they are all 4K through my Panasonic UB420 on Cinema mode.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/879c9i8cn..._GwFVkOha?dl=0

The point I am trying to make is that the room affects the image your screen produces and unless you can control this you then need to do a bit of research of the appropriate screen, get that right and truth me you will be blown away by what you see.

Movie Image collection

Last edited by Luminated67; 05-22-2020 at 01:32 PM.
post #6559 of 6829 Old 05-22-2020, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=Luminated67;59691906]I’ll ignore the tale end of your reply to @skylarlove1999 and try and help you if I can.

OK you are using 4K discs, so you are correct you really want to be using cinema or digital cinema as these two mode use the built in filter and give you the wide colour gamut, the side effect of this is it cuts the light output but almost 50%. I’m not going to comment on the pluses and minuses of the Xbox as a Bluray player because I don’t own one or have the experience to give any advice but I do know that the Panasonic UB420 is absolutely brilliant and with the option to switch it to SDR 2020 I found both blacks and shadow detail to be better so that might be an option. In the meantime have you fiddled with the HDR slider in the menu whilst watching a movie, this adjusts the image and you might find a setting that looks right to you in there, I found between number 4 and 6 worked best for me.

What’s the distance from the projector lens to the screen?[/quote @Luminated67 you sir are a gentleman and a scholar for trying to help this individual. He doesn't know how fortunate he is that you are still willing to help.

Tristan Jones
post #6560 of 6829 Old 05-22-2020, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
you sir are a gentleman and a scholar for trying to help this individual. He doesn't know how fortunate he is that you are still willing to help.

Whilst I disagree with his comments towards yourself I don’t want anyone to be dissatisfied with their purchase and would prefer to win him over. You and I both know just how good these projectors can be and are frankly a bargain for the asking price but you need to get a combination of things right for them to truly shine, he just hasn’t reached that point yet and a bit of guidance will get him there hopefully.

Movie Image collection
post #6561 of 6829 Old 05-22-2020, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 190
A quick follow-up to my Harmony power-off gripe with the 5050UB...

Changing standby confirmation to N fixed the power-down issue. I played around with delays with no consistent luck, then said to hell with it and just disabled standby on the projector and now it powers off like it should.

MiniDSP 2x4HD, UMIK-1, REW... The holy trinity for running multiple subs.

Espon 5050UB, 120" screen, AppleTV4k, Harmony Elite, Sony UBP-X700, Pioneer Elite VSX-LX504, Outlaw 7000x, MiniDSP 2x4HD, 2x HSU TN1220HO subs, 2x HSU VTF-15H Mk2 subs, Defintive Technology speakers: CLR2002 x3 for FR, C, FL; BP2x SR & SL; BP1.2x SBL & SBR; ProMonitor 800 x4 height speakers.
post #6562 of 6829 Old 05-22-2020, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post
Like I stated earlier, set Xbox to 1080p output.. and Now your menus etc will be much sharper..
The Xbox has a cool feature.. If you set it to 1080p it will play all native 1080p games as is.. and only when a game is true 4k, the Xbox will then send a 4k output even though you had xbox set to 1080p..

But since I like the ultimate sharpness, I got a hdfury device and told it to lie to all sources in my chain. It tells them my projector is only 1080p, so any sources that are 4k,will downsample to 1080p..And I get a much sharper image...

Its so sharp in 1080p, that all my friends that have 4k panels at home, think I'm actually displaying video on projector in 4k..

Can you go into a little more detail about that HDFury device? Are you saying my 5050 will look even better when using it?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
post #6563 of 6829 Old 05-22-2020, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Please keep us updated as your old projector is almost identical to my current one. My media room is at the exact point right now with the lockdown and everything that I can either pay to get it painted or put the money towards triple black velvet and black it out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
skylarlove1999 and Sekosche like this.
post #6564 of 6829 Old 05-22-2020, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The hdfury itself does not make the image better.

It fools my stereo's output to make it think I have projector that is only 1080p..So when devices like Xbox one or Ps4 pro, see the projector, they think it can only do HDR 1080p..
Sonwhen a game that is 4k is played, it supersamples (takes the 4k render and scales it to 1080p..Image is damn sharp then..).

If I did not fool the devices, it would output 4k to projector.. Then I would have a soft image again..

I force steam and windows apps to 1080p also, to use native panel size on Epson.

Text was to fuzzy for non sharp when using 4k rez or even taking 1080p and making it fake 4k with Epson.

I find it's a gimmick.. Until REAL 4K panels are at a price we can all afford.

biglen and covsound1 like this.
post #6565 of 6829 Old 05-22-2020, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Topic 1 Double dipping sdr/bt2020 hdr with works wonders for a small handful of movies,but for most overdone at extreme apl. Double helping with the panny 420 and a little help with the 5050 best way to go.(just looks natural and not forced).
Topic 2 1080p wow i feel really sloww! as i owned a 5040 and never realized 4k on and off,image enhancement 1 to 5 are separate controls.As mentioned by maub dib but with out the hdfury just a sony x800 blue ray player my collection of blue rays have a new life. Also the sony will play 4k hdr at 1080p bt2020 full 12bit 444! And if you like that soap opera effect you can turn that on too. i believe when the x800 converts to 1080p it tone maps as a bonus. I didnt mention i like the sony x800 better at 1080p than the panny 420 up conversion.I even find the 5050 does a better job.Now at 4k the panny 420 hands down.

Last edited by covsound1; 05-22-2020 at 09:17 PM.
post #6566 of 6829 Old 05-23-2020, 02:18 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 372 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4270 Post(s)
Liked: 2119
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:

Using Thumb Tacks that you have pre-painted with a eggshell Black Paint works great. (...a Flat Black paint will stand out like dull black buttons against the superior Blackness of the BTV)

Placing one at every 3' square corner is usually more than sufficient, and as someone who has used them many times to hang Plastic Sheeting, when removed the tiny holes are virtually invisible.

Also, unless the side walls crowd your screen's edges to withing a couple feet, it's the Ceiling that can need the the treatment far more. Also, both the Ceiling and Side Walls stop being of as much of a concern out past 6'. Beyond that point, the use of a dark Matte Color such as Grey or even deeply saturated Red or Blue can suppress ambient light reflections enough to make a difference.'

Can having completely blacked out room surfaces be most effective? Certainly....but similar mind think has been what keeps using Flat Black paint up at the front of people's consideration...despite it being so terribly ugly of a solution...when the lights go up. Simple light suppressive colors overall, and effective "ultra Black" spot area treatments for worst case situations is all that is needed

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #6567 of 6829 Old 05-23-2020, 02:29 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 372 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4270 Post(s)
Liked: 2119
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by reechings View Post
Please keep us updated as your old projector is almost identical to my current one. My media room is at the exact point right now with the lockdown and everything that I can either pay to get it painted or put the money towards triple black velvet and black it out.

After reading what I just posted, I hope you can consider using the Grey example below and therein minimize the extent of actual Black Velvet use to being that of a Black Shadow Box-like effect that reaches out 6'. Also bear in mind that except for cosmetic reasons, adding Black Velvet to the Screen Wall is ineffectual as the light coming from the Screen cannot bend back on itself to strike the screen wall....the only light the screen wall can receive is from direct or reflected light coming from the front or all of the sides, and if you have darker room surfaces everywhere, and Black Velvet out 6' from the Screen wall on every adjoining surface...that simply will not be the case.

Please note that the paint used was PPG Diamond, a paint high in acrylic content. In truth, using any Primer/Paint combo amounts to being a "interior Enamel" and when used, it will present none of the ugly, dry dusty look of most Flat Latex paints.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dark Grey Paint Code small.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	2731028  
reechings and Sekosche like this.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #6568 of 6829 Old 05-23-2020, 04:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 22
hi, has nayone here gone from HW40/45/55/65 ES to a 5050UB and has some photos for comparison between the two?
post #6569 of 6829 Old 05-23-2020, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoaaron View Post
hi, has nayone here gone from HW40/45/55/65 ES to a 5050UB and has some photos for comparison between the two?
I switched from the Sony HW45 to the TW9400 (euro version), on 1080p contain the difference is minimal with the Epson having a bit better black and shadow detail compared to the Sony. It’s not till you feed it 4K HDR that the Epson moves up a gear and to another level in my opinion.

Movie Image collection
post #6570 of 6829 Old 05-23-2020, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoaaron View Post

I came from the hw40, the 4K content looks really good, the blacks are much better, but the fan noise compared to the Sony is really annoying. You get use to it after a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5050 , 5050ub , Epson , frame interpolation , motion smoothing , shieldtv , strdn1080

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page