AVS Forum banner

THE Epson 5050UB/6050UB Thread (No Price Talk)

2M views 16K replies 1K participants last post by  Werewolf79 
#1 · (Edited)
Figured I would get the hands-on thread going to augment the rumors thread that has been going.

Epson HC5050UB has started to get into customers' hands on the eve of being officially announced next week on April 9th.

What we know:

Price: $2,999.00 (made it to the sub $3k forum by $1!)

Same chassis as 4000, 5040UB, 4010, 4050 etc etc etc

The big one... finally 18gbps HDMI

Early reviews of the EU equivalent TW-9400 are starting to make their way online

I posted a quick video of my test bench I will be using to review and compare to BenQ's new HT5550. Stay tuned.

See less See more
1 1
#2 ·
You needed a few hours of sleep. Pretty sure thats the HT5550 on the table, not the 3550.

Thats the shootout we're all looking forward to. At least I am. Been planning on buying the Epson 5050 for months, but now the HT5550 is in the mix, too. I'm itchy to get a new projector!

#3 ·
All the interest!

BTW i've created a bit of an FAQ and some details and questions and various things on the EU version here which may be helpful
https://sites.google.com/view/epson-tw9400/home

I've collated all the reviews I've found, though most seem to non english based, though I use Chrome and a quick click and it'll translate.
Lee

#4 ·
All the interest!

BTW i've created a bit of an FAQ and some details and questions and various things on the EU version here which may be helpful

I've collated all the reviews I've found, though most seem to non english based, though I use Chrome and a quick click and it'll translate.

Lee

Wow this is awesome! Thanks!

#5 ·
I am eagerly awaiting this shootout to buy my next projector. I have a 103" roll down Vutec screen w/ Vu Flex Pro material driven by an Optoma HD25 projector that drops in front of a Sony XBR65X950B from back in the day so contrast has been my weak point on the projection side. I am 50/50 game/movie usage guy but play alot of twitch shooters. I am a dealer and have access to all 3 and could get them within a week of each other.

#6 ·
I am eagerly awaiting this shootout to buy my next projector. I have a 103" roll down Vutec screen w/ Vu Flex Pro material driven by an Optoma HD25 projector that drops in front of a Sony XBR65X950B from back in the day so contrast has been my weak point on the projection side. I am 50/50 game/movie usage guy but play alot of twitch shooters. I am a dealer and have access to all 3 and could get them within a week of each other.
What are you waiting for? Get them all, try them all, send two back.......no?

#7 ·
All the interest!

Lee
I saw your calibrated settings for Dig. Cinema and Natural but noticed that the Natural was in Eco Mode. I prefer High mode (I know... lamp life and noise). Have you seen any 9400 calibration settings for a 1,600lm+ 'best bright mode' anywhere? Would love to start from there....

#9 ·
Scotty

Where are his calibrated settings? I could not find them.

They are in his google site page of his setup

#10 ·
Stable 26.8-26.9ms on both HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 with 4K enhancement on and off. Interestingly, input lag results on both “image processing fine” and “fast” were identical. I am testing with a 1080p Bodnar from the middle of screen. Several European review outlets have the 4K Bodnar device and are testing at 22ms of input lag in 4K HDR. This is VERY good.

The Epson 5050UB is the fastest input lag from a 4 million pixel HDR projector (or any shifter for that matter) we have seen. The Optoma HD27HDR is the fastest 1080p (2 million pixel) HDR projector at 16ms (effectively zero. 16ms is the floor for 60fps and the optoma can technically do 8ms in 120hz mode). The BenQ TK800M is the fastest 8 million pixel ‘true’ 4K HDR projector at 42ms (that costs under $5,000).

If they can afford the cost of entry, gamers will be happy with this guy.

#11 ·
They are in his google site page of his setup
This is the only thing I can find that looks at all like it addresses settings, and there are no settings here:

Greyscale
The Epson has two main methods to adjust this. There is the more well know RGB Offset / Gain control in Custom. There is also a special Grey Scale section. This has RGB+/- for 8-1 levels. The projector also shows the grey scale levels or you can press and it shows the background.

I use Offset / Gain to move the RGB tracking levels to the best overall, Slightly low at black (1) because there is only gain and slightly high at white (8) because there is only cut.

If you use HCFR for this, you can type 8 into the preference box rather than use the more common 10 step process.
GAMMA
There are settings +2, +1, 0, -1, -2, Custom

-2 equates to about 2.3-2.4 as a rough setting, though custom gives the opportunity to balance out the gamma more correctly

RGBYMC
Used to correct the colour component. There is Hue, Saturation and Brightness (Luminance) for each of the Primaries and Secondaries. Roughly hue is how much of the colour there is, Saturation how much grey and Brightness how much white. The first two move the colour on the Gamut Chart (colour space) and Brightness is involved with lumenance error. All three impact on the overall error Delta e.

#14 ·
Does the the size difference factor into the Benq 3550 and 5050 comparison. The main thing keeping me from choosing Epson as my projector is the overall size of it. It seems enormous.

For some, yes. The HT3550 looks like a pick projector next to it. [emoji23]

#15 ·
All the interest!

Lee

I’ve implemented your HDR settings. I must say, the most noticeable difference in the image was the depth effect and realism. Well done.

#17 ·
All the interest!

Lee

Another quick one - your dark mode HDR settings with the P3 filter engaged is great but the SDR settings don’t translate well to HDR for obvious reasons. For the use case of watching HDR content in ambient settings or for brightness preference ... are you able to put together an optimal settings list for an HDR mode based on Natural/medium or high power consumption?

#18 ·
I’ve implemented your HDR settings. I must say, the most noticeable difference in the image was the depth effect and realism. Well done.
Now that the image is getting dialed in on the Epson, at some point can you test to see if the BenQ 5550 or the 5050 has the better image from 8 feet away? I have a 150 inch 16:9 screen and my front row is ~8 feet from it. The front row being so close to the screen is why I want to upgrade to a 4K or a projector with 4K Enhancement.

Reactions: scottyroo
#19 ·
I saw your calibrated settings for Dig. Cinema and Natural but noticed that the Natural was in Eco Mode. I prefer High mode (I know... lamp life and noise). Have you seen any 9400 calibration settings for a 1,600lm+ 'best bright mode' anywhere? Would love to start from there....
I'm still working on calibration, it's been a bit slow because of the learning curve of this Projector, life and watching things!

I've been a little reticent at putting settings up too. They'll be inherently off due to lots of various factors. I'm a long standing hobbiest rather than a pro and whilst I've been playing with grayscale for a long time, this has two ways of doing that even. Add RGBCMY balance to the mix and HDR....

I also don't understand why you would want high? I'm on a 120" diag screen at -4 on the iris to get 16ftl which is on the top end of light recommendations, open does about 19ftl!

I've seen almost no other settings about... A lot of the UK people get a calibrator in or do stuff by eye!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Luminated67
#20 ·
Scotty

Where are his calibrated settings? I could not find them.
Read slightly further down, they're on a link because of page space.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk