BenQ TK800M Review | 3,000 Lumen 96% Rec. 709 4K DLP Projector - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 57Likes

post #31 of 138 Old 04-13-2019, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 0
terribly sorry to highjack this thread, but I can't find the TK800's owners thread. Has it been deleted?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 138 Old 04-14-2019, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Is there major improvement over the Tk800?
post #33 of 138 Old 04-14-2019, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I'm really thinking about getting this projector, as it seems to work with my desired screen size, if I move up to 100" (from a current 92") @ 12' away. I'm also thinking of going with a darker gray screen for viewing with ambient light, since at 100", this should really have the brightness to spare. I currently have the Silver Ticket Gray, which is hardly "gray" at 1.0 gain. The High Contrast Gray looks super dark in all of the pictures that I've seen, and it is rated at .95 gain. I would imagine that this projector should have enough punch to even do 3D justice on a darker screen at 100". I actually have pretty decent light control, but I'd really like the option to leave a little ambient light on for sports and stuff, since the projector is located in my condo living room.

The only problem is that I really just want to wait for specs on the upcoming BenQ 3550 "TK" model first. I guess at that point, I can either just decide to wait and get that or even let the price drop a bit more on this unit, if I don't go that route. I'm patient, and my Optoma HD33 is still kicking in the mean time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 138 Old 04-18-2019, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm currently using a Sony HW45ES at 100" I was seriously considering the TK800M to move to 4k.
It has about the same throw distance as the Sony.
I use it only as a Monitor. I watch a lot of Twitch, some gaming, and occasionally something from Netflix.
I'm using a 1.0 gain screen and the light is not completely controlled. There is some ambient light, but most of the time I spend in Dark Viewing.
I'm a casual gamer, so input lag in 30s to 40s should be fine.
Any feedback is good feedback.
post #35 of 138 Old 04-21-2019, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Kind of a weird question... I just set up my TK800M and realized there is no lens cap. Is this normal for this model? My TK800 had one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #36 of 138 Old 04-22-2019, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hi Scotty, Thanks for the review. Can you expound on your third review picture, which I've reattached. Is that blue blur something we can expect on all similar projectors, and how long do you think it'll be until they go away? My HT2050 doesn't have that kind of chromatic aberration, and I was startled to see that these new projectors seem to. Is there a technology I should be looking at to avoid it?

Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-04-22.png
Views:	102
Size:	261.2 KB
ID:	2556896  
post #37 of 138 Old 04-22-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Alexander View Post
Hi Scotty, Thanks for the review. Can you expound on your third review picture, which I've reattached. Is that blue blur something we can expect on all similar projectors, and how long do you think it'll be until they go away? My HT2050 doesn't have that kind of chromatic aberration, and I was startled to see that these new projectors seem to. Is there a technology I should be looking at to avoid it?

Thanks again.
I'm just going to guess, as that looks to me like chromatic aberration, which is a lens distortion that you might typically see further out from the center of an image. This can be better or worse, depending on the quality of the lens. I'll leave the answer up to Scotty, whether or not that this is noticeable or pronounced at a normal viewing distance on the TK-800M. I will comment on one thing, however. That image is of a very tiny area! You can clearly see the individual addressed pixels there. On my 1080p screen, this would have to be very close. I know that Scotty has a pretty large screen, but considering that this has 4X the addressable pixels as my projector, you would still be looking at an extremely small area, and possibly toward the outer edge of the screen.
post #38 of 138 Old 05-05-2019, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Great review as always.

Really close to fitting my needs, but the placement will simply not be possible... Shame.

Got a living room with ambient light so the lumens would be well put to use, and the gaming capabilities fit me too. But I need a throw ratio of 1.8. That's with how my current PJ is mounted. The guys at my local home cinema store tell me the only option is the Epson TW7400/9400, since mounting a projector closer than I currently do will incur problems with hotspotting since I use a high contrast gray screen. Do the experts here agree?

Otherwise, does anyone know of any other option? Seems like everything coming out that ticks my boxes has a throw ratio that is too short. Will probably end up being forced to get a size large TV instead...
post #39 of 138 Old 05-15-2019, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Can anyone confirm the recent models have the green tint when switching to 3D mode?

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk
post #40 of 138 Old 05-16-2019, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hasselberg View Post
Great review as always.

Really close to fitting my needs, but the placement will simply not be possible... Shame.

Got a living room with ambient light so the lumens would be well put to use, and the gaming capabilities fit me too. But I need a throw ratio of 1.8. That's with how my current PJ is mounted. The guys at my local home cinema store tell me the only option is the Epson TW7400/9400, since mounting a projector closer than I currently do will incur problems with hotspotting since I use a high contrast gray screen. Do the experts here agree?

Otherwise, does anyone know of any other option? Seems like everything coming out that ticks my boxes has a throw ratio that is too short. Will probably end up being forced to get a size large TV instead...
Hot spotting shouldn't be an issue until you get really close (under 1) and probably not even then with a gray screen. Most installations are probably way less than 1.8 to 1.

Some options with 1.8-1 throw ratio:
BenQ HT5550
Viewsonic PX-727/747
Vivitek 2288/2299
post #41 of 138 Old 05-17-2019, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone here who bought a recent unit at all willing to video recorder their unit in 3D mode?

post #42 of 138 Old 05-18-2019, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornsk57 View Post
Can anyone confirm the recent models have the green tint when switching to 3D mode?

I don't have the projector, but this is from the very first post in this thread:

3D

Can’t do a review without getting into 3D performance. The 3D performance improves on the TK800. The image is very bright and seems to use its native lamp mode to illuminate such a bright image from the get-go. This results in a slightly green-tinge that can be adjusted/calibrated to get a more color accurate 3D image. It is bright though, I’ll give you that.
post #43 of 138 Old 05-18-2019, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Ya I was wondering if the newer builds had this flaw

post #44 of 138 Old 05-19-2019, 05:40 AM

Does anyone have any good calibration settings to share?

post #45 of 138 Old 05-19-2019, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Scottyroo,
Another great review. Very informative. Thank you.
post #46 of 138 Old 05-20-2019, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Angled Installation

How well does the keystone work for an horizontal angled installation? does anybody know?
Thanks.
post #47 of 138 Old 05-20-2019, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by totita View Post
How well does the keystone work for an horizontal angled installation? does anybody know?
Thanks.
There's no horizontal keystone.
post #48 of 138 Old 05-20-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltron View Post
There's no horizontal keystone.
So the projector need to be mounted perpendicular to the screen? Is there any tolerance that can be adjusted?
Thanks.
post #49 of 138 Old 05-20-2019, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
So the projector need to be mounted perpendicular to the screen? Is there any tolerance that can be adjusted?
Thanks.
Must be dead center. There is no lens shift at all either -- only vertical keystone.
post #50 of 138 Old 05-21-2019, 01:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
4K Sharpness and Lens

This projector achieves a “True 4K” (as defined by CTA) image of 8.3 millions on-screen pixel by shifting its native 1080p chip four times. This is known as XPR shifting. Let me just say that this little TK800M is the sharpest 4K projector I have seen. That is comparing it to the HT2550, TK800, Epson 4000, HT3550, HT5550, and Epson 5050UB (currently reviewing). And the sharpness is not anomalous to the unit. I have gone through two review units of this projector and both exhibit the same insane level of sharpness I’ve yet to see on a projector. I can clearly see individual pixels. The focus knob has the widest range I’ve seen in a small projector for the purpose of very easily making adjustments and finding that ‘just right’ focus. The new lens does an amazing job at creating a pixel perfect sharpness that really blew me away compared to the other six 4K projectors that have been through my theater.
I haven't seen any of these DLP 4way-shifters yet. How does it work, do you see 4K sized pixels or 1080P pixels? I mean the pixels are 1080P sized, it cant somehow magically make them smaller when shifting, or can it? Do you see a difference and can you take a photo when you show a 1080p test pattern vs. 4k test pattern?

JVC DLA-RS500
post #51 of 138 Old 05-21-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltron View Post
Must be dead center. There is no lens shift at all either -- only vertical keystone.
Does anybody know of a 4K projector with horizontal shifting for max $1500? I have an Epson 2045 and looking to upgrade. The Epson has both horizontal and vertical keystone correction.

Thanks.
yakapo likes this.
post #52 of 138 Old 05-22-2019, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 2728 Post(s)
Liked: 2712
Quote:
Does anybody know of a 4K projector with horizontal shifting for max $1500? I have an Epson 2045 and looking to upgrade. The Epson has both horizontal and vertical keystone correction.

Thanks.

Keystone reduces your resolution so it’s not advised to use accept for in a pinch. Depending on how severe your angle is you may see a bump in sharpness just by straightening out your install.

I’d maybe save up some more for a projector with horizontal LENS SHIFT which will allow you to place the projector slightly off center without having to use keystone. The BenQ HT5550 at $2500 or the Epson 4000 at $2000 are the two most affordable options.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #53 of 138 Old 05-22-2019, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 2728 Post(s)
Liked: 2712
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDesigns View Post
I haven't seen any of these DLP 4way-shifters yet. How does it work, do you see 4K sized pixels or 1080P pixels? I mean the pixels are 1080P sized, it cant somehow magically make them smaller when shifting, or can it? Do you see a difference and can you take a photo when you show a 1080p test pattern vs. 4k test pattern?

This has been discussed here on the forum to death.
Short answer: no they’re ‘1080p sized’ pixels but due to the pixel shift and how our brains perceive the image it looks all but indistinguishable from a device that uses native imaging chips. In theory, a 4K projector that uses native imaging chips should offer an increase in ultimate detail. However, there is a LOT at play here. In this price range the limiting factor is the lens NOT the pixel shifting tech. So if you compare a $1500 BenQ or Optoma to an $8000 JVC the difference will likely come down to the use of a higher quality lens and the latter’s improvement in contrast (which can actually cause an image to be perceived as being sharper). Note: all the current native 4K projectors from Sony and JVC start above $5000 and a big reason for that is the lens. Once you equip a DLP pixel shifter with a high quality lens, for example the BenQ HT9060 (https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...jector-review/) , the DLP can often appear just as sharp or even sharper than a native device owing to DLP’s use of a single imaging chip instead of three separate chips that need to be carefully aligned. 4K DLP is frequently
praised for it’s sharp image despite it’s reliance on a lower resolution imaging chip and you’ll often see comments about it’s almost complete lack of pixel gap (a positive consequence of the pixel shifting process).

But it’s important to mention that we’re speaking in small degrees here. From your seat you’re far more likely to notice differences in color or contrast than how the projector actually produces it’s 4K image (native vs pixel shift).

Go look up my review of the BenQ HT2550 and cycle through the pictures. There is a shot in there comparing a BenQ HT2050A (a VERY sharp 1080p DLP) with the then brand new HT2550 (the first 4-way 4K pixel shifter to hit the market). It’s important to note that the DLP XPR tech has actually gotten substantially better since that projector released so those shots are sort of ‘worst case’ and even then it’s incredible how much more detail the 4K projector is able to resolve.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...2959120?page=1
matted likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #54 of 138 Old 05-28-2019, 02:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystigiandoll View Post
From what I gather these 2 projectors are really for 2 different situations, the TK800M would be something to look at if you have a VERY large screen or a lot of ambient light.

Indeed. Last Saturday a neighbor in my living district opened his film projector museum (incredible collection of old theater projectors, going back to 1919! - and they all work and can be shown in action!!!) and I paid him a visit. Turned out that he was looking for an inexpensive, new front projector he could use for his video programs to fill his 20+ feet movie theater screen.

Projector lens offset is no issue at all (actually the more, the better) and Scotty's evaluation that the TK800M apparently has a very good projection optic for razor-sharp images is another positive aspect. Thought about the HT3550 at first but given its screen width limitation to 10 feet for optimal results, it became obvious that a different projector with more light output is probably the better choice.

Should this work out, I will post some images of the TK800M in a "real" movie theater in action.
n84china likes this.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Frank714; 05-28-2019 at 02:16 AM.
post #55 of 138 Old 05-28-2019, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 362
post #56 of 138 Old 05-29-2019, 01:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Now there is one aspect that made me go

Revisiting Scotty's first post in this thread, I think he made it abundantly clear how impressed or surprised he was with the sharpness of the TK800M and had another unit at his disposal to verify he wasn't imagining things.

I was about to wonder whether that could have something to do with the lack of lens shift (careful installation planning for the TK800M is a "must") but then I read what Kraine / Grégory had to say about that:

Scratchy and sharp:

Without being bad, the TK800M does not reach the accuracy of a W5700; one would have guessed it in view of the price difference. The center of the image is well reproduced, but the edges appear softer. If accuracy is important to you, I recommend that you consider the W1720 or better the W5700 instead.

My impression thus far based on Scotty's findings had been, that the TK800M is noticably sharper than the HT3550 (W2700), that the HT5550 (W5700) didn't feature sharpness improvement over the HT3550 - and now the above.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #57 of 138 Old 06-01-2019, 08:45 AM

Has anyone had the problem of devices not recognizing HDR capabilities?

I run an Xbox One S through a Denon AVRS740H and it's not recognizing HDR. There is no problem worth my apple tv 4K and I've tried changing inputs with no luck. Not sure if it's an Xbox problem, receiver problem or projector problem.

post #58 of 138 Old 06-06-2019, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Good evening everyone.
I opened a thread some days ago, asking for a projector for my photographic studio. An user suggested me the Epson 3700 (here in Italy is called TW6700).
He said the LCD is a better technology for brighter rooms, and my studio when I receive clients will be with the lights on, but the projector and the background will be in a less bright part of the studio, far from the windows.
But I saw that the TK800M has a good lumens number, and also is much newer than the Epson 3700.
Do you suggest me to try the Benq, or the LCD technology is most suitable for me, even on a three years old projector?

I will use my 2 meters (6,5 feet) white photographic background as a screen for the projector, positioned at around 4 meters (13 feet) from the screen, because I want to show to my clients my photos and videos on a bigger screen than the pc.
It's also important for me that when I close the studio in the evening, I wanted to watch movies and tv series. Also, I fell in love with the aesthetics of the JMGO 1895S because my studio is built with and industrial vintage style, but I don't know if for me would be usable.
So please, could someone with a kind heart help me to choose among these projectors?
Thanks in advance
post #59 of 138 Old 06-07-2019, 03:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Buongiorno, I'm not sure I'd go with the Epson recommendation for a bright room.

One of the strong suits of DLP technology is to provide bright and brilliant pictures with no visible pixel grid structure (which you will get with LCD technology and an Epson).

Shortcomings are possibility of visible, so called "rainbow effect" (AFAIK approx. 1-2 out of 10 people may notice it) and contrast in dark scenes / areas.

Depending on the lighting situation in your studio (ceiling integrated lamps are a lesser problem, ambient light emanating from free hanging light bulbs and light from the outside are) you may want to consider an ALR (ambient light rejecting) screen, alternatively I'd be looking at a larger flat screen TV you can use as a monitor for your PC...

Bear in mind that with a front projector you'd be looking at the reflection of an image that will probably look washed out to some extent in an environment with some form of ambient light.

post #60 of 138 Old 06-07-2019, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
Buongiorno, I'm not sure I'd go with the Epson recommendation for a bright room.

One of the strong suits of DLP technology is to provide bright and brilliant pictures with no visible pixel grid structure (which you will get with LCD technology and an Epson).

Shortcomings are possibility of visible, so called "rainbow effect" (AFAIK approx. 1-2 out of 10 people may notice it) and contrast in dark scenes / areas.

Depending on the lighting situation in your studio (ceiling integrated lamps are a lesser problem, ambient light emanating from free hanging light bulbs and light from the outside are) you may want to consider an ALR (ambient light rejecting) screen, alternatively I'd be looking at a larger flat screen TV you can use as a monitor for your PC...

Bear in mind that with a front projector you'd be looking at the reflection of an image that will probably look washed out to some extent in an environment with some form of ambient light.
Thanks for the answer.
The studio is divided in two sides. The left side is composed by my workstation with TV and PC, table and chairs. In the right side there will be a white photographic background of 2 meters, and the projector will be placed at around 4,20 meters from the background, in a shelf. There are three exposed White bulbs, but are exactly in the middle between the screen and the projector. So I wanted to use the background for projecting videos and photos in the day, and watching movies in the evening. Obviously I need a good light power from the projector.
So, after this, is it better to buy a TK800M (or the lovely Jmgo 1895s) instead of the Epson 3700?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page