• 2 Post By coderguy

post #1 of 6 Old 04-06-2019, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Looking for a projector

Hey Guys,

So I recently bought a 65 inch Q70R. While the TV is quite impressive, I have already started to feel buyer's remorse due to size. I don't think even upgrading to a 75 inch will make me happy. I feel like I need to go all out. I don't have a dedicated theater room, but I think I can make my living room work with my TV and a drop down projector screen. I mostly do all my watching at night time anyways.

I want the best projector for the money. I am willing to go upto 4000$ if it's worth it. Basically looking for one with great colors, brightness and decent HDR capabilities. I will mostly use it for movie watching and playing games. (Have a gaming PC and PS4 Pro). I think what I am looking for most is a projector which makes you feel like you are there i.e. as if looking out a window. I know it might be expecting too much from a 4000$ budget, but I am curious to see what recommendations you guys have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-06-2019, 11:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1316
Since you are doing this in a living room, I would probably just get a 4k DLP, one of the lower cost ones.

Viewsonic PX727-4K
Acer H7850 (more flexible placement) or Acer v6810
Optoma UHD50 or UHD60 or UHD65
Benq ht2550

Otherwise, if you want to have better black levels, you could look at the Epson 5040ub or a Sony hw45es.
The next step up beyond all that would be a JVC, there are some JVC's here and there in your stated $4k or less budget.
srkmish likes this.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 04-06-2019 at 11:53 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-07-2019, 01:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked: 493
To get great PQ out of a projector you need a dedicated room. People put projectors in average living rooms all the time and love them but honestly the difference between a $1k projector and a $4k projector in an average living room is not that great. If you have no experience with a projector I recommend something like a BenQ HT2050a for under $1k to get your feet wet and see if a projector will work for you. Although only a 1080p projector it has decent black level and very low gaming lag that all the 4K DLP's lack. If it really works out well and if you want to upgrade with it's resale value it will only cost a few $100.
srkmish likes this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-07-2019, 03:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1316
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
To get great PQ out of a projector you need a dedicated room. People put projectors in average living rooms all the time and love them but honestly the difference between a $1k projector and a $4k projector in an average living room is not that great. If you have no experience with a projector I recommend something like a BenQ HT2050a for under $1k to get your feet wet and see if a projector will work for you. Although only a 1080p projector it has decent black level and very low gaming lag that all the 4K DLP's lack. If it really works out well and if you want to upgrade with it's resale value it will only cost a few $100.
I would just start with one of the 4k projectors at this point.
The problem with buying a 1080p is they could suddenly lose all their resale value at any moment now, hard to resell.

In a year or two, 1080p projectors will be blown out at low prices in the used market, as many more PJ's will be Native 4k by then.
Only the JVC 1080p's will hold their value (somewhat) for a while.

4k isn't that big of a deal, but it's a heck of a lot bigger deal for projector owners than it is for TV owners.
srkmish and ng4ever like this.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #5 of 6 Old 04-07-2019, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
Thanks. I did a little more research and one of the things I forgot to mention is that my walls are all white. So even at night, when it's dark, there will still be reflection from white walls and dilute the contrast and black levels a bit? For that, I was recommended to get an Ambient light reflecting screen. Do you think a good projector + ALR Screen in a white walled room during night will have good picture quality?
post #6 of 6 Old 04-07-2019, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmish View Post
Thanks. I did a little more research and one of the things I forgot to mention is that my walls are all white. So even at night, when it's dark, there will still be reflection from white walls and dilute the contrast and black levels a bit? For that, I was recommended to get an Ambient light reflecting screen. Do you think a good projector + ALR Screen in a white walled room during night will have good picture quality?

Of course everything helps and that is what ALR screens are designed for as long as the light isn't coming from the same direction as the projector. ALR screens drawbacks are cost, hot spotting, sparkles and off angle viewing. A good tab tensioned ALR drop down screen can cost upwards of $4k. The issue with the 4K DLP's are they are all high in lag and you said your a gamer that's why I recommend 1080p DLP to get you started.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page