Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-06-2019, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Epson 5020UB vs 5040UB 4ke

I currently have an Epson 5020UB and I'm thinking of getting a 5040UB 4ke. I have a Draper 106" screen. Would there be a big difference in picture quality between the 2 projectors? There's no where in town where I can view the newer 5040.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-06-2019, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 16
While I can't comment on the differences or improvements between the 5020UB and 5040UB, one thing to consider is the size of the projector. The 5020UB is 18 lbs and the 5040UB is 25 lbs and larger. I am selling my 5040UB for this exact reason -- it's simply too large for my living room. Before I purchased the projector, I went to a local Best Buy that had it on display. Perhaps you could look online to see if there's one on display near you.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-06-2019, 10:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2455 Post(s)
Liked: 1324
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtenn View Post
I currently have an Epson 5020UB and I'm thinking of getting a 5040UB 4ke. I have a Draper 106" screen. Would there be a big difference in picture quality between the 2 projectors? There's no where in town where I can view the newer 5040.
I would save up a little more and get a B-stock or used JVC to be honest.
The b-stocks still have warranties, this would be a much better upgrade.

There isn't that much improvement from a 5020 to a 5040 other than some extra brightness, the overall image will be very similar.
The shift 4k mode on the Epson 5040 is said to be one of the weakest of all the shift technologies.

You could also consider going for a dual projector setup, get a 4k DLP as a second projector.
The DLP will have better sharpness and a few other advantages.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-07-2019, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
I would save up a little more and get a B-stock or used JVC to be honest.
The b-stocks still have warranties, this would be a much better upgrade.

There isn't that much improvement from a 5020 to a 5040 other than some extra brightness, the overall image will be very similar.
The shift 4k mode on the Epson 5040 is said to be one of the weakest of all the shift technologies.

You could also consider going for a dual projector setup, get a 4k DLP as a second projector.
The DLP will have better sharpness and a few other advantages.

i strongly disagree. having actually owned both, the 5040 is quite a bit nicer than the 5020. It was a bigger upgrade than my switch from a JVC RS2 to the 5020 was. In that case the black levels and the brightness just improved a bit. The 5040 is alot sharper with 4k eshift. Its also brighter and has HDR, though its annoying that it isnt 18gbs. The blacks were also better on the 5040 and its a little quieter, except in bright modes. The extra brightness helps alot in 3d too.

Ive seen the UHD60, it was a bit sharper. But the black levels on it were clearly not as good, I wouldnt switch to any older gen 4K DLP over the 5040. I hear great things on this forum about the newer Benqs though.

jtenn has a smaller screen so the extra sharpness may matter less than other things.

You might want to wait for the 5050 that is coming very soon. or if you have money- sony/JVC are still king.

coderguy's B stock JVC advice is good- the new JVCs are great projectors if you can afford them.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-07-2019, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Interesting. I also have a 5020 and had been planning on making the jump to the 5050 when it comes out this week to get 4k+hdr (though the ht5550 has me a little intrigued), so really interested in hearing 5020vs5040 comparisons which right now seems split. I had sort of assumed there'd be a nice increase in contrast and colors with 7-8 years between the upgrade
post #6 of 11 Old 04-07-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggle View Post
The 5040 is alot sharper with 4k eshift. Its also brighter and has HDR, though its annoying that it isnt 18gbs. The blacks were also better on the 5040 and its a little quieter, except in bright modes. The extra brightness helps alot in 3d too.
The 5040 is a lot brighter, but if he doesn't need that brightness...

As far as sharpness, it can go either way, seems to be more of luck of the 'convergence draw', but there is some chance that on average the 5040 would be sharper than a 5020.
However, I've seen sharper 5020's than 5030's, so I think it's mostly luck.

post #7 of 11 Old 04-09-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
The 5040 is a lot brighter, but if he doesn't need that brightness...

As far as sharpness, it can go either way, seems to be more of luck of the 'convergence draw', but there is some chance that on average the 5040 would be sharper than a 5020.
However, I've seen sharper 5020's than 5030's, so I think it's mostly luck.
I think this is wrong too imho. The eshift makes a large difference. If you discount eshift entirely maybe that is right. If I recall correctly, when compared the epson eshift was considered better than the early eshifts on jvc, but not as good as the dlp. But eshift in general does work. Again I am not saying it is better than dlp, but you do get more sharpness out of the 5040 compared to a 5020.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
The comments by @markmon1 about the 5040ub are both unwarranted and inaccurate.....at least as I see them because I've used that PJ for some substantially sized Screens and sharpness was exceptional and the Blacks were / are in fact as good as anything a NX5 provides. They seem to be a bit too much about a personal take and bias....something one can understand coming from a JVC owner.

MississippiMan has seen a ton of projectors....so there is another experience from the N5 owners thread.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-09-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I think this is wrong too imho. The eshift makes a large difference. If you discount eshift entirely maybe that is right. If I recall correctly, when compared the epson eshift was considered better than the early eshifts on jvc, but not as good as the dlp. But eshift in general does work. Again I am not saying it is better than dlp, but you do get more sharpness out of the 5040 compared to a 5020.
MississippiMan has seen a ton of projectors....so there is another experience from the N5 owners thread.
The JVC e-shift is better than Epson, not sure where you heard the reverse. DLP shift is the best, by far, but that's because it works a bit differently.
Epson e-shift is the weakest, bar none, a lot of people don't like it (but it's ok).

I'm not saying the 5020 to 5040 isn't an upgrade to some degree, what I'm saying is, it's not nearly as big of an upgrade as going to a JVC.
I saw plenty of people that had posted 5040's with sharpness issues, and the dreaded power supply issues.

I'd avoid it personally, unless spending less and going for a refurb (then it MIGHT be worth it).
Of course with a refurb, even a bigger chance of getting a projector with a convergence or lens issue.

Last edited by coderguy; 04-09-2019 at 10:04 AM.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-09-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
If you like the Epson in wild DI pumping mode, then it gets closer to the JVC, but it's NOT the same, regardless of what one person claimed.
This has been tested by measurements and other viewers and the Epson is definitely not up to JVC black levels.

Especially compared to something like an RS-540, not sure about the new JVC projectors as they have a bit lower contrast than the old ones.
The JVC DI is smoother as well, since the Native is higher it doesn't have to work as hard.

Heck, most JVC's have 5x or more the native contrast of an Epson.
Maybe if you have a GIANT screen and are comparing the JVC at aperture position 0 to the Epson with the DI.

The DI on the new JVC is very buggy, so the black levels can be messed up on the new JVC's, bad comparison IMO.
There are a couple firmware revisions, but I expect a couple more before the existing DI is perfected.

Last edited by coderguy; 04-09-2019 at 10:11 AM.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-09-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumMafia05 View Post
Updated* for some reason I think the epson looked sharper, image wise. I cant get mad max fury/bladerunner 2049 to look as good as the epson and seem to get more grain with the rs540. Hopefully when Chad comes late summer/fall to calibrate I'll be more happy. Right now just not wowed by this unit. I still have to figure out how to use the MPC level settings better and to get a better focus which is why I'm sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel dickman View Post
2) The Epson has a whole menu of different sharpness enhancing features to play with. Art Feierman (projectorreviews.com) says these enhancements can give the Epson a "perceived" sharper picture than the JVC. Not everyone likes the effects. Some will not boost contrast with a dynamic iris because they are bothered by "pumping". Some will not use frame interpolation because they are sensitive to halo artifacts. I am not a purist and enjoy keeping my options open. Sometimes I use the features, sometimes n
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
I had the Epson 6040. And now I have the JVC RS400. I really want to like the JVC however I must admit I am a bit underwhelmed. Colors brightness seems flat.

Black levels are good but not great without iris enabled. No direct sharpness control. Only the "enhance" setting which leaves the picture either too soft or over pixelated. Seems to be alot of noise in the image without noise reduction setting enabled.

The Epson 6040 had excellent color brightness and showed a naturally sharp image. My only complaint with the 6040 was it's low native contrast without it's iris enabled. It's blacks were noticeably inferior to the Sony HW45ES without it's iris enabled.
There are 3 quotes on the sharpness, I think the projectorreview's quote is what triggered my memory. I am not arguing the contrast on the Epson compared to JVC, those were just mississipiman's words, and i think he is just implying they are sufficient blacks. that quote is out of context.

honestly this is really a tangent- my main point was that the 5040 is much sharper/better than the 5020, which is what this original thread was asking about, not about jvc.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-10-2019, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltron View Post
While I can't comment on the differences or improvements between the 5020UB and 5040UB, one thing to consider is the size of the projector. The 5020UB is 18 lbs and the 5040UB is 25 lbs and larger. I am selling my 5040UB for this exact reason -- it's simply too large for my living room. Before I purchased the projector, I went to a local Best Buy that had it on display. Perhaps you could look online to see if there's one on display near you.
I did go by my local Best Buy and they had a dummy 5040 on display and it's huge. I thought my 5020 was big coming from a Epson 8700.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page