Epson Home Cinema 5050UB 4K PRO-UHD HDR Projector Hands-On Review - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 186Likes

post #301 of 359 Old 05-01-2019, 11:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked: 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post
This is super interesting, but I have a couple of starter questions so that I can understand what you are saying better (I don't own this projector btw):
Said otherwise, if you don't move the projector at all:
Zoom max: make the biggest picture possible from current position
Zoom min: make the smallest picture possible from curent position
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 359 Old 05-01-2019, 11:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
Any comments on fan noise? My PJ sits right above my head.
I have the 5040UB and it sits about 3 feet above our heads and in eco mode it is not noticeable at all and in the medium setting it's not really noticeable either. Only in high does the fan noise intrude at all, but it's worth it for 3D to get that extra brightness needed. Also, the noise is a pleasant mid to low frequency humming rather than the higher pitched "whine" that I used to hate on my Panasonic PT-AE8000U. Doesn't bother me at all really. I would assume the 5050 is similar as the design overall looks nearly the same, as do the specs. I will say that I can't use auto-iris as the noise it makes when changing aperture (or whatever/however it works) is noticeable and annoying/distracting as it's not constant, white background noise but sporadic, and shorter in duration (like morse code or something) and therefore more noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBoy View Post
skylarlove1999, Luminated67, and scottyroo, what are your opinions on the 3D with the 5050/9400? How does the ghosting, depth, and motion look? How does it compare to 3D in commercial cinemas? Anyone have any comparisons to 3D with JVC's?
I'm also interested in 3D performance, but disappointed to see brightness only go up nominally from 2500 to 2600. If it went from 2500 to 3000 or so I would probably sell my 5040 and get the 5050. I imagine they kept the brightness down to try to get it closer to the ultra black that the name suggests it can achieve (of course the 5040 has paltry blacks so I wouldn't expect the 5050 to be hugely better).

I also hate how they recycled the ugly design of the 5040, complete with the cheesy colored accent strips. Yuck.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A | Samsung UN40H5500
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Amazon FireTV | Nintendo Switch
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
post #303 of 359 Old 05-02-2019, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
Quote:
Any comments on fan noise? My PJ sits right above my head.
I have the 5040UB and it sits about 3 feet above our heads and in eco mode it is not noticeable at all and in the medium setting it's not really noticeable either. Only in high does the fan noise intrude at all, but it's worth it for 3D to get that extra brightness needed. Also, the noise is a pleasant mid to low frequency humming rather than the higher pitched "whine" that I used to hate on my Panasonic PT-AE8000U. Doesn't bother me at all really. I would assume the 5050 is similar as the design overall looks nearly the same, as do the specs. I will say that I can't use auto-iris as the noise it makes when changing aperture (or whatever/however it works) is noticeable and annoying/distracting as it's not constant, white background noise but sporadic, and shorter in duration (like morse code or something) and therefore more noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBoy View Post
skylarlove1999, Luminated67, and scottyroo, what are your opinions on the 3D with the 5050/9400? How does the ghosting, depth, and motion look? How does it compare to 3D in commercial cinemas? Anyone have any comparisons to 3D with JVC's?
I'm also interested in 3D performance, but disappointed to see brightness only go up nominally from 2500 to 2600. If it went from 2500 to 3000 or so I would probably sell my 5040 and get the 5050. I imagine they kept the brightness down to try to get it closer to the ultra black that the name suggests it can achieve (of course the 5040 has paltry blacks so I wouldn't expect the 5050 to be hugely better).

I also hate how they recycled the ugly design of the 5040, complete with the cheesy colored accent strips. Yuck.
My 5050 is noticeably more quiet than my 5040. Cannot hear projector at all in medium power consumption mode with Natural picture mode which defaults the Iris to Off. Iris can still be heard in quiet scenes in films in Digital Cinema Mode but not really other scenes. Seems like the 5050 improved the noise from the Iris and overall projector by about 70%. Black levels really do depend on your screen, ambient light and room environment. I do notice a slight difference between 5050 and 5040 in favor of the 5050. I can say that black levels for HDR content have less crush and better shadow details on the 5050ub. I haven't done much 3D viewing as of yet. I will try to watch some this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 359 Old 05-02-2019, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
My 5050 is noticeably more quiet than my 5040. Cannot hear projector at all in medium power consumption mode with Natural picture mode which defaults the Iris to Off. Iris can still be heard in quiet scenes in films in Digital Cinema Mode but not really other scenes. Seems like the 5050 improved the noise from the Iris and overall projector by about 70%. Black levels really do depend on your screen, ambient light and room environment. I do notice a slight difference between 5050 and 5040 in favor of the 5050. I can say that black levels for HDR content have less crush and better shadow details on the 5050ub. I haven't done much 3D viewing as of yet. I will try to watch some this weekend.
You guys are killing me. I really haven't had plans to update my theater for another 2 or 3 years. But now I'm starting to get the itch.
CallingMrBenzo likes this.
post #305 of 359 Old 05-02-2019, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
You guys are killing me. I really haven't had plans to update my theater for another 2 or 3 years. But now I'm starting to get the itch.
Sorry did I do that? Said in my best Urkel voice. The HDR in the 5050 really is a game changer. 18 months of custom gamma curves, HDR update via firmware in January 2018 and a professional calibration by Jeff Meier of Accucal for my Epson 5040ub and still the 5040UB couldn't touch the out of the box performance for HDR from my 5050. The hype is real. The 5050 has a more detailed crisper picture for all content. I had two 5040's fail due to power supply issue and Epson replaced my last one with a 5050 at no additional charge to me and extended the warranty another year. Amazing projector and even better company.
post #306 of 359 Old 05-02-2019, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Got my Epson calibrated today, thanks Gordon, made a world of difference and surprisingly he offered me two HDR settings, one with the filter engaged and the other without, both are equally good, scrub that great with the one without the filter more similar to that of an OLED TV.

The extra detail he was able to extract in the shadows was well worth the cost on its own but then explaining why he’s doing this and that was priceless.

I can now understand why some have struggled to justify the difference for the JVC.
CallingMrBenzo and Spankey like this.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #307 of 359 Old 05-02-2019, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I spent a couple of hours today watching and comparing the 5050 to 3 Sony projectors (including $25K model) and a yet to be released short throw LG laser model at the ht showroom of Nebraska Furniture Mart ( its Berkshire Hathaway weekend in Omaha) The demo room is as good as any I've seen in that there are no seats, PJs are mounted 10' high (except the short throw) and about 14 ft from screen with most having several screen options for comparison. I walked into a room described as partially controlled daytime living room light and intentionally looked at the pictures without looking at which PJ is throwing them. I can't tell you the make and model of the screens, but they were all switched to .9 gain ambient rejecting screens between 90 and 120'. 80% + of my viewing is cable TV, so I asked that the source be 1080 cable, ESPN so I could compare sports movement. All the PJ's were out of box settings with no calibrations. I ruled out the Sony's, even after turning the lights out. The comparison was between the LG short throw, a pre order yet to be released Laser with an estimated price near $7K and the 5050. I've got to say that side by side, the 5050 with faux 4k 1080 cable source ESPN daylight baseball game in a room with moderate light control, next to the twice the price native 4K LG laser was pretty incredible. I slightly preferred the Epson. When the source was switched to HD 4k BRD, of course it was no contest between the Epson and LG....and If I watched mostly HD disc sources I would have to double my outlay for the LG. My take-home was for my 80% of my viewing of cable and streaming content the Epson did the standout best job in the room.
Luminated67 likes this.
post #308 of 359 Old 05-03-2019, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonfromCB View Post
I spent a couple of hours today watching and comparing the 5050 to 3 Sony projectors (including $25K model) and a yet to be released short throw LG laser model at the ht showroom of Nebraska Furniture Mart ( its Berkshire Hathaway weekend in Omaha) The demo room is as good as any I've seen in that there are no seats, PJs are mounted 10' high (except the short throw) and about 14 ft from screen with most having several screen options for comparison. I walked into a room described as partially controlled daytime living room light and intentionally looked at the pictures without looking at which PJ is throwing them. I can't tell you the make and model of the screens, but they were all switched to .9 gain ambient rejecting screens between 90 and 120'. 80% + of my viewing is cable TV, so I asked that the source be 1080 cable, ESPN so I could compare sports movement. All the PJ's were out of box settings with no calibrations. I ruled out the Sony's, even after turning the lights out. The comparison was between the LG short throw, a pre order yet to be released Laser with an estimated price near $7K and the 5050. I've got to say that side by side, the 5050 with faux 4k 1080 cable source ESPN daylight baseball game in a room with moderate light control, next to the twice the price native 4K LG laser was pretty incredible. I slightly preferred the Epson. When the source was switched to HD 4k BRD, of course it was no contest between the Epson and LG....and If I watched mostly HD disc sources I would have to double my outlay for the LG. My take-home was for my 80% of my viewing of cable and streaming content the Epson did the standout best job in the room.

The viewing mode and calibration make a world of difference. Hard to say what their settings were but a perfectly calibrated projector in that setting compared to "bright cinema" will look inferior. You never really know what you are comparing when you don't know the ideal settings for each of the projectors in that room/environment.
post #309 of 359 Old 05-03-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmarket View Post
The viewing mode and calibration make a world of difference. Hard to say what their settings were but a perfectly calibrated projector in that setting compared to "bright cinema" will look inferior. You never really know what you are comparing when you don't know the ideal settings for each of the projectors in that room/environment.
I can tell you what the settings were. I was assured all settings on all projectors were "out of the box", absolutely no adjustments. Knowing "the Marts" Berkshire Hathaway credo of "honesty and fair price" I have no doubts that they were honest because they just don't push brands or models and state that they offer installation and calibration but the display models have not been calibrated. I got to see exactly what I wanted as I wanted...a comparison of every projector, and their brightness and picture modes in the room with the same sources in the same light on very similar or identical screens....please don't discount that, or see it as my naivete'. There are plenty of consumers like myself who demand products that perform right out of the box without extracting the extra percent of improvement from calibration. It would have been just as easy to just place my order for the prototype LG laser short-throw and not bother with the above post. If your point is it's reasonable to expect the more expensive projectors to perform better when calibrated than the 5050 in a darked out room....yep, who doesn't understand or expect that? My point was/is the 5050 was as good as the best displaying a live ball game from a 1080 cable source in a room with controlled, but some ambient light. I remain impressed. It is what it is.

Last edited by JonfromCB; 05-03-2019 at 09:13 PM.
post #310 of 359 Old 05-03-2019, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 32
On the noise, the 5050 is much quieter than my 5020 was. On the 5020 I could hear the iris during fairly quiet scenes, and it did have fan noise when running in thx mode with normal brightness. On the 5050 I never hear either, I run in natural mode with medium lamp, and just never hear any noise. Was sort of surprising when you’re used to hearing the fan kick on just to warm up and what not
post #311 of 359 Old 05-04-2019, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonfromCB View Post
I can tell you what the settings were. I was assured all settings on all projectors were "out of the box", absolutely no adjustments. Knowing "the Marts" Berkshire Hathaway credo of "honesty and fair price" I have no doubts that they were honest because they just don't push brands or models and state that they offer installation and calibration but the display models have not been calibrated. I got to see exactly what I wanted as I wanted...a comparison of every projector, and their brightness and picture modes in the room with the same sources in the same light on very similar or identical screens....please don't discount that, or see it as my naivete'. There are plenty of consumers like myself who demand products that perform right out of the box without extracting the extra percent of improvement from calibration. It would have been just as easy to just place my order for the prototype LG laser short-throw and not bother with the above post. If your point is it's reasonable to expect the more expensive projectors to perform better when calibrated than the 5050 in a darked out room....yep, who doesn't understand or expect that? My point was/is the 5050 was as good as the best displaying a live ball game from a 1080 cable source in a room with controlled, but some ambient light. I remain impressed. It is what it is.
I have an NFM nearby and know of the room you speak. They have as decent of a setup as you can expect from a big box store. They had JVC, Epson etc. I know they don't calibrate them and highly doubt anyone in the store was capable of it. Like most stores you can usually expect them to extract every bit of brightness out of the TV's/Projectors as that's what sells in the store. Knowing this I asked to see a remote so I could see if they were pushing the Epson's on Bright Cinema high lamp and then wanted to see the remote for the JVC as well. They had no idea where any of them were. In that room the Epson 3700 looked better than the JVC. They only reason was they were showing animation, not 4K and as you describe moderate living room ambient light. A disaster for the JVC that in a theater or even much darker room would have blown the 3700 out of the water. Your average consumer (nobody here) wouldn't have known why and I promise you the "honest" folks at NFM likely couldn't provide a decent explanation either. To my surprise they did have a higher end Sony projector on a Stewart Phantom HALR screen. You don't see many of those out in the wild.
post #312 of 359 Old 05-04-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmarket View Post
I have an NFM nearby and know of the room you speak. They have as decent of a setup as you can expect from a big box store. They had JVC, Epson etc. I know they don't calibrate them and highly doubt anyone in the store was capable of it. Like most stores you can usually expect them to extract every bit of brightness out of the TV's/Projectors as that's what sells in the store. Knowing this I asked to see a remote so I could see if they were pushing the Epson's on Bright Cinema high lamp and then wanted to see the remote for the JVC as well. They had no idea where any of them were. In that room the Epson 3700 looked better than the JVC. They only reason was they were showing animation, not 4K and as you describe moderate living room ambient light. A disaster for the JVC that in a theater or even much darker room would have blown the 3700 out of the water. Your average consumer (nobody here) wouldn't have known why and I promise you the "honest" folks at NFM likely couldn't provide a decent explanation either. To my surprise they did have a higher end Sony projector on a Stewart Phantom HALR screen. You don't see many of those out in the wild.
You don't seem to have read the details of my posts, as I clearly stated I viewed multiple sources including 4K from all PJs simultaneously with the room in every degree of ambient light from bright to very little and that a couple of 4k projectors were clearly "better" in the dark with 4K material, but not by a huge margin other than the short-throw LG prototype. I'm not sure I understand your points as most of your remarks seem argumentative and certainly weren't similar to my my experience at the Omaha NFM on Thursday. Honestly, I don't care about a Stewart Phantom HALR Screen as it's irrelevant to the conversation because I asked for and got to view all the PJ's (including the top of the line Sony) on screens most similar to my Cinema Contour. Personally, I haven't been to any ht showroom that had the capability to do that. The HT staff at the Mart in Omaha is certainly more knowledgeable than anyone I've encountered at Best Buy or several of the private AV stores in Omaha that push one or two product lines....but I didn't go to hear what they had to say or claimed to know, I went to compare their products and was able to do so with great latitude and almost no salesman control or hype. They had the remotes and were quite happy to hand them to me. As I said, I was able to compare all light and picture modes for each PJ simultaneously. If you're near the Omaha Mart and a Berkshire Hathaway shareholder you can also get the best discounts I've seen through this Monday... on either in-stock or ordered items including several as yet unreleased models. I'm still very impressed with the 5050 compared to many more expensive projectors in some ambient light watching 1080 cable tv, which is what I would mostly use it for. I'm also sure from posts on this forum that I could extract even better performance from calibration specific to the light, screen and surroundings in my ht. That's why I posted it in this thread...Not to cause a chit-storm with someone who wasn't there, may disagree or prefers something else. Peace, out.
post #313 of 359 Old 05-04-2019, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1356 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Relax J from CB. Take a deep breath.
Hawkmarket likes this.

Jack
post #314 of 359 Old 05-06-2019, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have one question to the e-shift.

If i watch 4k hdr content, is it possible to turn off e-shift on the projector and just keep hdr and wcg options, but without turn on the e-shift.

So is it possiblr to turn e-shift off complitly, but keep hdr and wcg if the content has it.

Projector: Samsung SP-A600
Reciever: Onkyo TX-RZ900
Speakers: Front: Polk Audio lsim 703; Center: Polk Audio lsim 704c; Surround: Polk Audio lsim 702 f/x; Sub: SVS SB-2000
Players: Dune Solo Lite; Sony BDP-S790
post #315 of 359 Old 05-06-2019, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco1982 View Post

If i watch 4k hdr content, is it possible to turn off e-shift on the projector and just keep hdr and wcg options, but without turn on the e-shift.

So is it possiblr to turn e-shift off complitly, but keep hdr and wcg if the content has it.
I haven't seen anything in my playing around that would let you do that. Remeber, the projector can't do "4k." It only gets to faux-K by shifting a 1080 image a few times. If you turned off e-shift, you'd be "downscaling" the image from 4k to 1080, and that would require some processing that I don't imagine any manufacture would put in a unit.

Movies: Epson 5050 / Marantz 7010 / OPPO-103
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), Motion 50XT (center), Motion 2 (surrounds)
Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
post #316 of 359 Old 05-06-2019, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you have a Panasonic Bluray player you can select in the resolution menu 1080P and even if you throw a 4K disc in it will output to your AVR/Projector only 1080P. I only found this out because unlike the Sony BR player the Auto resolution mode automatically upscales if your projector is capable of playing.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #317 of 359 Old 05-06-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post
I haven't seen anything in my playing around that would let you do that. Remeber, the projector can't do "4k." It only gets to faux-K by shifting a 1080 image a few times. If you turned off e-shift, you'd be "downscaling" the image from 4k to 1080, and that would require some processing that I don't imagine any manufacture would put in a unit.
That's my point, it's not 4k, so don't e-shift anything because the picture sharpness will be worse if it does. 1080p is simply enough for me in resolution, but i don't want to loose hdr and wcg what the projector can show of course.

Speakers: Front: Polk Audio lsim 703; Center: Polk Audio lsim 704c; Surround: Polk Audio lsim 702 f/x; Sub: SVS SB-2000
post #318 of 359 Old 05-06-2019, 11:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's my point, it's not 4k, so don't e-shift anything because the picture sharpness will be worse if it does. 1080p is simply enough for me in resolution, but i don't want to loose hdr and wcg what the projector can show of course.
Have you got a 5050 yet?

The reason I'm asking is that when it's given 4K the image is pretty special and definitely sharper than plain old 1080P. Of course not all 4K discs are equal and some are much better than others but if you go on to YouTube and stream some of the reference 4K stuff you will be amazed as I was, at times I thought I was looking at a big 100" OLED so sharp and vibrant the image it was throwing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ripysws3i6...%2022.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r3kgrlzt0j...%2057.jpg?dl=0

And all these weren’t paused to take a still, they were caught as it streamed away.

Here’s some from Antman & Wasp in 4K Bluray that I was able to pause.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w4kgt74eu3...%2033.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uir61kb26f...%2004.jpg?dl=0

Trust me if given proper 4K let the PJ do it’s thing.

Last edited by Luminated67; 05-06-2019 at 11:48 PM.
post #319 of 359 Old 05-07-2019, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
Have you got a 5050 yet?

Trust me if given proper 4K let the PJ do it’s thing.
I saw that function with the previous model eh-tw9300 (eu). The picture get smoother with e-shift mode.

post #320 of 359 Old 05-07-2019, 01:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I saw that function with the previous model eh-tw9300 (eu). The picture get smoother with e-shift mode.
Can't comment about the previous model only this one and when viewing 4K contain it's very sharp.

post #321 of 359 Old 05-07-2019, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Hi, i think it is a better thread to ask about it - i saw something odd in the review of the Benq ht5550 - could anybody pls confirm how it works for the epson 5050...

if you use plex on the nvidia shield tv unit - i think by default you set your hdmi output to 4k, most likely. so, if you start to play a 3D SBS movie, that is, obviously, in the 1080p format - does it work OK with the Epson right away or do you need to go into Nvidia settings and alter the resolution of the output back to 1080p from 4K in there, in the device settings, in order for 3D content to be streamed correctly?
post #322 of 359 Old 05-10-2019, 12:14 AM

One more question:

What happens if i play a 1080p x265 HDR BT2020 file?

It turn on e-shift or not?
It turn on hdr and wcg mode or not?

My point is I like to avoid e-shift mode turn on as much as I can, because I think it ruins a bit on the picture sharpness and I think this micro shaking shorten the projector life.

post #323 of 359 Old 05-10-2019, 01:31 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
One more question:

My point is I like to avoid e-shift mode turn on as much as I can, because I think it ruins a bit on the picture sharpness and I think this micro shaking shorten the projector life.
Why did you get a faux-4k projector? OR did you find that the sharpness did not meet your 4K viewing expectation?
post #324 of 359 Old 05-10-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydee6 View Post
Why did you get a faux-4k projector? OR did you find that the sharpness did not meet your 4K viewing expectation?
I don't need a 4k projector, and this is not a 4k projector.

I need a projector that can handle a 4k HDR10 BT2020 signal, and watch the movies remastered in 4k and not released on BD, only UHD. That's what I need. And this without a htpc.

My prefered media player is dune-hd 4k pro.

Last edited by cisco1982; 05-10-2019 at 06:34 AM.
post #325 of 359 Old 05-18-2019, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 2
My current setup is with an Epson 6030 (4yrs old) w/ a 115" Black Diamond screen.
My throw is 22' and I sit about 12' back. I've really liked my Epson but I'm ready for an upgrade to 4k.

With the new 5050.....
Outside of 4k my main priority since I have a bright room during the day is lumens and picture quality.
I watch TV during the day (sports, etc.) and movies so having an even better image w/ light on is important to me going from the 6030.

- Will there be a noticeable improvement with the 5050 if it's sitting 22' back on a shelf in my soffit ceiling?
- The box in the ceiling was built for my current projector and this one is much bigger. I would only have 1-2" above the 5050 and on each side. I know the vents are in the front but would there be enough ventilation on the sides and top w/ my current setup?
- Has anyone compared the 5050 to the Sony 295 (true 4k). I get conflicting answers from distributors who sell primarily Sony vs what's online about the Epson. If someone doesnt' mind spending the extra $$ would you go with the Sony in a room like mine or stick with the 5050?
- Final ? - Will my current 1.2 gain SI Black Diamond still work well w/ a 4k projector? I've been happy w/ it outside of the crystal effect I get when there is white in the middle of the screen. I'm used to it now but didn't know if 4k would make that more sensitive or no change?

Thanks for your help
post #326 of 359 Old 05-19-2019, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
imagic,
Great review. Very informative. Thank you for putting in the work for us all.
post #327 of 359 Old 05-29-2019, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Anyone have recommendations for a good 4k receiver to go with the Epson 5050?

Our media room just has Klipsch in-wall speakers (7 of them) for surround sound including ceiling

We have an old Marantz Receiver and would have a budget up to $2k for a new one. I saw their mid level 4k receiver for around $1400.

Any recommendations?
post #328 of 359 Old 05-30-2019, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this but I am very new at all of this. Just got the 5050 and almost finished on the media room. I have not put up a screen yet. Stumped by aspect at this point. The room is only 11'11" wide and initially I thought of doing a 2.35 screen at 130" wide...this would result in a 16.9 at about 97" wide. I also don't have a high ceiling at 7'7". CHALLENGES

Here is where I am stumped. It appears I need to put the projector according to throw calculators at 19'9" back from screen. I can do that. If I do the 130" scope screen do I lose resolution or contrast by doing that? Or, do I lose enough that it would be noticeable? I do have complete light control in the room. (basement and windows will be blacked out).

I go back and forth between the 130 wide scope with 98 16.9 OR going with 115 16.9 and therefore a more narrow scope. I could go slightly larger with 16.9 but wonder about the effect of being inches from the ceiling? Should mention I have black tiles on ceiling and dark colors on walls.

I AM MORE THAN OPEN to any suggestions as I am getting ready to think of screen size. wondered about just putting up some white blackout cloth in the scope size and see what it feels like.

Thanks for any help!
post #329 of 359 Old 05-30-2019, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutherpstr View Post
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this but I am very new at all of this. Just got the 5050 and almost finished on the media room. I have not put up a screen yet. Stumped by aspect at this point. The room is only 11'11" wide and initially I thought of doing a 2.35 screen at 130" wide...this would result in a 16.9 at about 97" wide. I also don't have a high ceiling at 7'7". CHALLENGES

Here is where I am stumped. It appears I need to put the projector according to throw calculators at 19'9" back from screen. I can do that. If I do the 130" scope screen do I lose resolution or contrast by doing that? Or, do I lose enough that it would be noticeable? I do have complete light control in the room. (basement and windows will be blacked out).

I go back and forth between the 130 wide scope with 98 16.9 OR going with 115 16.9 and therefore a more narrow scope. I could go slightly larger with 16.9 but wonder about the effect of being inches from the ceiling? Should mention I have black tiles on ceiling and dark colors on walls.

I AM MORE THAN OPEN to any suggestions as I am getting ready to think of screen size. wondered about just putting up some white blackout cloth in the scope size and see what it feels like.

Thanks for any help!

Scope is life changing if you watch a lot of movies. As others advised me plan for the 98% of content and most movies are in scope. Ones with changing aspect ratios in herbal are scope safe where the important content will remain on screen you can use the blanking feature to crop the top and bottom so when the IMAX scenes come on there will be no spill over.

I was in your same situation with 12 wide room and went with an 115 Acoustically transparent screen and I can’t go back.

If you game or watch tv you still have a plenty big picture. I may make black out panels for 16:9 content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marantz 7011- Panasonic UB-820- Xbox One X - Epson HC 5050UB *Calibrated by ChadB* - Elite Screen's 2:35:1 AT 115' - PSA MTM 110's L/C/R - Mixed Surrounds - SVS Elevations Atmos X2 - Dual PSA VT36 B&C Neo's *MiniDSP HD* Took the Red Pill BEQ
post #330 of 359 Old 05-30-2019, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallingMrBenzo View Post
Scope is life changing if you watch a lot of movies. As others advised me plan for the 98% of content and most movies are in scope. Ones with changing aspect ratios in herbal are scope safe where the important content will remain on screen you can use the blanking feature to crop the top and bottom so when the IMAX scenes come on there will be no spill over.

I was in your same situation with 12 wide room and went with an 115 Acoustically transparent screen and I can’t go back.

If you game or watch tv you still have a plenty big picture. I may make black out panels for 16:9 content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks....so, apparently no real loss of contrast or resolution using lens memory for scope? Also, how did you handle the "tweeter of the center speaker should be ear level and two front side speakers should have tweeters at ear level" situation? Since you are using an AT screen (which I hope to do)... I have towers for front side speakers so I wondered about putting them on a small platform so they don't stick out the bottom of the screen but then you have the situation where one of the speakers in the tower might be blocked by the screen frame. SIGH....I think this might be rocket science. hehe

But thanks for your input...makes me wonder if I should keep to my 130" wide scope idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
epson pro cinema 5050ub

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page