Epson Home Cinema 5050UB 4K PRO-UHD HDR Projector Hands-On Review - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 198Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #391 of 397 Old 08-13-2019, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
DocOrange88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: River Grove, IL
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Do you guys really think the player is going to pull off that big of a difference. I am currently running mostly Plex via an Nvidia shield. I assume I'd get the same out put from my 4K rip as I would from my 4K UHD blu-ray.
DocOrange88 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #392 of 397 Old 08-13-2019, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skylarlove1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,150
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocOrange88 View Post
Do you guys really think the player is going to pull off that big of a difference. I am currently running mostly Plex via an Nvidia shield. I assume I'd get the same out put from my 4K rip as I would from my 4K UHD blu-ray.
I would say that for video it will be very hard to tell the difference of though if you look at the depth of the picture and the lines around objects and people and buildings things will be slightly sharper on the 4K discs. The difference I noticed the most is that audio is just not as dynamic and doesn't have the full Rich sound when you are streaming from pretty much any source unless you have a kaleidescape which cost anywhere from $6,000 and up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
skylarlove1999 is online now  
post #393 of 397 Old 08-17-2019, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
DavidinGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
I had some serious issues with three different Epson 5040ub's and Epson was generous enough to replace my last failed Epson 5040 with the 6050 back in May.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Was that a refurb 5040 they gave you the upgrade on?

I'm getting ready to get my 2nd refurb now myself. I would love an upgrade if Epson would be so kind to me too!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

--------------------------------------------------
Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 5040, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofer: MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D.
DavidinGA is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #394 of 397 Old 08-17-2019, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skylarlove1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,150
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
Was that a refurb 5040 they gave you the upgrade on?

I'm getting ready to get my 2nd refurb now myself. I would love an upgrade if Epson would be so kind to me too!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
It was actually two brand-new 5040 s with power supply issues and then a brand new 5050 with a similar issue. All this happened Within 18 months. I definitely had to do some emailing with their CEO before they decide it would be best interest of them to give me a new 6050 with a 3-year warranty. Now given I've been a 10-year owner of epson projectors starting with the 6500. Even with that I had to go Way Beyond the customer service line.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
skylarlove1999 is online now  
post #395 of 397 Old 08-17-2019, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
DavidinGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
It was actually two brand-new 5040 s with power supply issues and then a brand new 5050 with a similar issue. All this happened Within 18 months. I definitely had to do some emailing with their CEO before they decide it would be best interest of them to give me a new 6050 with a 3-year warranty. Now given I've been a 10-year owner of epson projectors starting with the 6500. Even with that I had to go Way Beyond the customer service line.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Noted.

I will NOT get my hopes up then lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

--------------------------------------------------
Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 5040, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofer: MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D.
DavidinGA is offline  
post #396 of 397 Old 08-19-2019, 09:26 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
The Panasonic 820 has Auto tone mapping from the data that comes into the player from the disc and makes its own adjustments. The Epson 5050 as you know is you adjusting it yourself with your eye from disc to disc. I own the 6050 and the Panasonic 820 and I think it's a great combination for the feature mention on the Panasonic 820.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
So you recommend sticking to the 820’s tone-mapping? I have it mated to the 4010, but have a 5050 on the way. What HDR setting do you use on the 5050 or can you bypass it? Just curious how they work together. Also looking for which settings I should use to start out with. On the 4010 I go “digital cinema” in “high” lamp mode for UHD and “cinema” mode in “medium” lamp for bluray.
MattyGS is offline  
post #397 of 397 Old 08-20-2019, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
DocOrange88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: River Grove, IL
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyGS View Post
So you recommend sticking to the 820’s tone-mapping? I have it mated to the 4010, but have a 5050 on the way. What HDR setting do you use on the 5050 or can you bypass it? Just curious how they work together. Also looking for which settings I should use to start out with. On the 4010 I go “digital cinema” in “high” lamp mode for UHD and “cinema” mode in “medium” lamp for bluray.
I use the settings from the forum here for mine. I do run high in digital cinema and in natural and in medium mode. The color difference on the 5050 with the digital cinema mode is very pronounced with HDR content.
DocOrange88 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
epson pro cinema 5050ub

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off