Epson Home Cinema 5050UB 4K PRO-UHD HDR Projector Hands-On Review - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 198Likes

post #181 of 397 Old 04-13-2019, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
Depends. I have two rows. Most of the time (90%) I am at 16-17 feet. When I want to go more immersive I am at 11’ in my first row.
I have tried watching closer to my screen, maybe not quite as close as you are scaling down for my screen size of course because I just find it way too close but each to their own I say, what ever floats your boat. At the 16-17ft I personally couldn’t notice any real different between mine and true 4K. Not saying others will be the same which is why everyone needs a demo to see for themselves.
scottyroo likes this.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 397 Old 04-13-2019, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
I have tried watching closer to my screen, maybe not quite as close as you are scaling down for my screen size of course because I just find it way too close but each to their own I say, what ever floats your boat. At the 16-17ft I personally couldn’t notice any real different between mine and true 4K. Not saying others will be the same which is why everyone needs a demo to see for themselves.

I sit 90% of the time from 16-17ft and base all my impressions from that viewing distance. The only time I base my reviews off of front row viewing is for 3D when I want to have a more immersive viewing experience. My resolution sentiment is based on the 16-17 ft viewing distance which is the equivalent of 10-11’ for people with 100” screens.

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
post #183 of 397 Old 04-13-2019, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I bought the 5050 to try out. Picture is really great. The only thing is it would need to be wall mounted directly above my couch. (In an apartment) it definitely makes me a bit uncomfortable to have this behemoth above my head. This is what I'm planning on using.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MD...mob_b_pd_title

Wife is not thrilled about this thing. She's used to the less intimidating epson 3700.
JoeBoy73 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 397 Old 04-13-2019, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 1404
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithj101 View Post
I bought the 5050 to try out. Picture is really great. The only thing is it would need to be wall mounted directly above my couch. (In an apartment) it definitely makes me a bit uncomfortable to have this behemoth above my head. This is what I'm planning on using.

Wife is not thrilled about this thing. She's used to the less intimidating epson 3700.
I am also coming from an Epson HC 3700 but I am still waiting on mine it wont be here until Tuesday

Marantz 7011- Panasonic UB-820- Xbox One X - Epson HC 5050UB *Calibrated by ChadB* - Elite Screen's 2:35:1 AT 115' - PSA MTM 110's L/C/R - Mixed Surrounds - SVS Elevations Atmos X2 - Dual PSA TV36 B&C Neo's *MiniDSP HD* Took the Red Pill BEQ
post #185 of 397 Old 04-13-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I sit 90% of the time from 16-17ft and base all my impressions from that viewing distance. The only time I base my reviews off of front row viewing is for 3D when I want to have a more immersive viewing experience. My resolution sentiment is based on the 16-17 ft viewing distance which is the equivalent of 10-11’ for people with 100” screens.
Then I’m amazed you notice much of a difference between the Epson and BenQ.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #186 of 397 Old 04-13-2019, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Then I’m amazed you notice much of a difference between the Epson and BenQ.

Ha maybe I just need to focus on getting cataracts so I don’t notice.
boblinds and Luminated67 like this.

Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
post #187 of 397 Old 04-13-2019, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ha maybe I just need to focus on getting cataracts so I don’t notice.
I’m only middle-aged not ancient.
boblinds likes this.

post #188 of 397 Old 04-13-2019, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I’m only middle-aged not ancient.

32 here with baby #4 on the way. I’m starting to lose my marbles.

post #189 of 397 Old 04-13-2019, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Anyone know if the feet of the 5050 still match up with the older 5020/5030's? Im trying to figure out if this thing will still fit on my current bookshelf, its an open one so sides/back arent a problem, just trying to determine if its going to end up hanging over the edges or if the feet are still in the same place and I should be good. Width wise Im fine, its only depth

If not I guess Im looking at a ceiling mount, so far Ive seen reccos for the vantage point mount, chief rpa, and Peerless-AV PRGS-UNV. I guess the peerless is probably the best bet being the middle of the road but the amazon search ends up with some sketchy reviews since it sounds like some people end up getting not the one advertised, so wasnt sure which was the right one. There do seem to be a bunch of others on amazon for ceiling installs though that are just simple drops for 30-40, dont know how any of those compare but if they can hold the weight not sure why you need something that costs 3x as much

Last edited by ezelkow1; 04-13-2019 at 01:48 PM.
post #190 of 397 Old 04-13-2019, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I saw a demo today of the Epson 5050/9400 and the JVC N5. Both projectors were shown uncalibrated, out-of-the-box. I didn't check the menu so have no idea of the settings in terms of brightness, contrast, etc. so these are just my raw impressions.

At home I have a 16:9 150 inch diagonal white 1.0 gain screen with an Epson TW-2000 UB projector that's 14 years old. The screen at Absolute Hifi was the same size, but may have been a higher gain as it looked a bit shiny at the centre. The player in the shop was a Cambridge 4k player. The room was completely light controlled and the wall were dark paint.

I brought Pirates of the Caribbean, The Fifth Element on blu-ray, Desk Set on DVD. I brought Sin City 2 and The Hobbit to try 3D, but they didn't have the glasses, emitter, etc. so can't comment on 3D, which is unfortunate since it is my main upgrade motivator. They also played a nature 4k demo called Les Sesienes.

My wife and I thought both projectors threw a nice picture, however neither of us thought the images were stunning, awesome, mind-blowing or any other adjectives that I expected I would be saying about these projectors. It was a definite step up from my projector, but incrementally. I expected the "whole other level" experience, but can't say I got it. For example, the black bars on both projectors didn't appear to be any darker than what I see on my old projector. Even the N5 wasn't very dark. markmon1 would have blanched white at this demo. Maybe the DI wasn't engaged.

We both felt the N5 was better than the Epson, but again, while noticeable it was more incremental than "whole other level". The JVC seemed brighter and skin tones more natural. However since neither were calibrated, even basically, I don't think it could in any way be considered a fair comparison of what they can do. I think there is consensus that JVC's are better out of the box than Epson. I noticed film grain or noise in both images, but the N5 was cleaner. I didn't hear any fan noise or DI noise, but also didn't try any scenes noted for creating them. I expected that both projectors would produce a much more film-like image, but honestly it just wasn't a big jump up from my old Epson.

We watched the Star Wars movie Solo when we got home. Even as bad as the contrast in that movie is reported to be (and it is in many scenes) I still think the viewing experience on my old Epson looked about like what i would imagine it would have looked on those two.

Sorry I can' offer a more technical appraisal. Others who have either seen demo's or purchased the new JVC's obviously have different opinions and experiences. I'n not denigrating the new lines, just wish I'd been blown away. Maybe that just shows how good the old Epsons are.

I will upgrade at some point, if only for the 3D and HDR.

My wife says I might as well get the JVC, but I'm at a quandary point. Since the image isn't mind blowing and this is first generation JVC 4k, do I hold off til 2nd or third gen before forking out 12 grand (or hopefully less by then)? Or go the riskier used JVC route? Do I get the Epson and use the extra money to upgrade my Pioneer 9.2 audio system to Atmos/DTS:X via Denon/Marantz/Yamaha 5.2.4? Can't answer these nagging questions yet, but at least I have a wife who says "It's more expensive, but I think you should go for the JVC. It had a nicer picture" and "get the Panasonic 9000 rather than the 820. You'll be happier." And I should mention, we are pooooor.
post #191 of 397 Old 04-13-2019, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBoy View Post
I saw a demo today of the Epson 5050/9400 and the JVC N5. Both projectors were shown uncalibrated, out-of-the-box. I didn't check the menu so have no idea of the settings in terms of brightness, contrast, etc. so these are just my raw impressions.

At home I have a 16:9 150 inch diagonal white 1.0 gain screen with an Epson TW-2000 UB projector that's 14 years old. The screen at Absolute Hifi was the same size, but may have been a higher gain as it looked a bit shiny at the centre. The player in the shop was a Cambridge 4k player. The room was completely light controlled and the wall were dark paint.

I brought Pirates of the Caribbean, The Fifth Element on blu-ray, Desk Set on DVD. I brought Sin City 2 and The Hobbit to try 3D, but they didn't have the glasses, emitter, etc. so can't comment on 3D, which is unfortunate since it is my main upgrade motivator. They also played a nature 4k demo called Les Sesienes.

My wife and I thought both projectors threw a nice picture, however neither of us thought the images were stunning, awesome, mind-blowing or any other adjectives that I expected I would be saying about these projectors. It was a definite step up from my projector, but incrementally. I expected the "whole other level" experience, but can't say I got it. For example, the black bars on both projectors didn't appear to be any darker than what I see on my old projector. Even the N5 wasn't very dark. markmon1 would have blanched white at this demo. Maybe the DI wasn't engaged.

We both felt the N5 was better than the Epson, but again, while noticeable it was more incremental than "whole other level". The JVC seemed brighter and skin tones more natural. However since neither were calibrated, even basically, I don't think it could in any way be considered a fair comparison of what they can do. I think there is consensus that JVC's are better out of the box than Epson. I noticed film grain or noise in both images, but the N5 was cleaner. I didn't hear any fan noise or DI noise, but also didn't try any scenes noted for creating them. I expected that both projectors would produce a much more film-like image, but honestly it just wasn't a big jump up from my old Epson.

We watched the Star Wars movie Solo when we got home. Even as bad as the contrast in that movie is reported to be (and it is in many scenes) I still think the viewing experience on my old Epson looked about like what i would imagine it would have looked on those two.

Sorry I can' offer a more technical appraisal. Others who have either seen demo's or purchased the new JVC's obviously have different opinions and experiences. I'n not denigrating the new lines, just wish I'd been blown away. Maybe that just shows how good the old Epsons are.

My wife says I might as well get the JVC, but I'm at a quandary point. Since the image isn't mind blowing and this is first generation JVC 4k, do I hold off til 2nd or third gen before forking out 12 grand (or hopefully less by then)? Or go the riskier used JVC route? Do I get the Epson and use the extra money to upgrade my Pioneer 9.2 audio system to Atmos/DTS:X via Denon/Marantz/Yamaha 5.2.4? Can't answer these nagging questions yet, but at least I have a wife who says "It's more expensive, but I think you should go for the JVC. It had a nicer picture" and "get the Panasonic 9000 rather than the 820. You'll be happier." And I should mention, we are pooooor.

couple questions:

What projector are you coming from?

Are you comparing a $3k projector to a $12k projector? If so and you don't see a big difference then I'm not sure how you'll be happier spending $12k

I have been researching the Panasonic players. There is no difference when watching movies between the 2 players. I would save the $500 and put it towards a better AVR but thats just a suggestion since you brought it up. Not trying to tell you how to spend your money... just offering options.
post #192 of 397 Old 04-13-2019, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:

The projectors you demo'd are head and shoulders beyond your 14 year old projector. I am truly shocked you didn't notice a MASSIVE difference, hell, I noticed a huge difference going from my Epson 8700UB to my current 5030UB. Huge difference.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
post #193 of 397 Old 04-14-2019, 01:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Thats good to know as I have an Epson 8500 and my next projector will be an Epson 5050.... for $3k it better be a huge difference lol
old corps likes this.

Projector:Epson 6050ub Screen:Elite screens manual SRM Pro series 120" TV: Vizio P75f Pre/Pro:Marantz AV7705 Amplifier:Monolith 7x and Emotiva A-700 for ATMOSSpeakers:Klipsch THX8000-L (LCR) R5800 side surrounds, 5650-S rear surrounds Klipsch 5800-C for ATMOSSubwoofers:PSA v1811x2 Bluray Player:Panasonic ub820 Media Streamer:Fire TV cube
post #194 of 397 Old 04-14-2019, 03:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
32 here with baby #4 on the way. I’m starting to lose my marbles.
With baby #4 I think your marbles are almost fully drained. lol
Alaric and Blu-Boy in BKK like this.

post #195 of 397 Old 04-14-2019, 03:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:

Your wife sounds amazing. If you can't tell a Life altering difference between your 14 year old Epson and either the Epson 5050UB or JVC NX5 the you truly are one lucky man. Save your money and spend it on something you and your are blown away by and can tell a world shattering difference in the experience for both of you. Unfortunately most of the forum members would perceive the difference between a 14 year old projector and today's projector technology as the difference between a candle and a light bulb, literally night and day if a heavy gust of wind blew. Sincerely you are not stricken with the same disease that afflicts most of the forum : upgraditis.
old corps and CallingMrBenzo like this.
post #196 of 397 Old 04-14-2019, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezelkow1 View Post
Anyone know if the feet of the 5050 still match up with the older 5020/5030's? Im trying to figure out if this thing will still fit on my current bookshelf, its an open one so sides/back arent a problem, just trying to determine if its going to end up hanging over the edges or if the feet are still in the same place and I should be good. Width wise Im fine, its only depth

If not I guess Im looking at a ceiling mount, so far Ive seen reccos for the vantage point mount, chief rpa, and Peerless-AV PRGS-UNV. I guess the peerless is probably the best bet being the middle of the road but the amazon search ends up with some sketchy reviews since it sounds like some people end up getting not the one advertised, so wasnt sure which was the right one. There do seem to be a bunch of others on amazon for ceiling installs though that are just simple drops for 30-40, dont know how any of those compare but if they can hold the weight not sure why you need something that costs 3x as much
I have attached a picture of my mount for my 5040. It is a tank. It is from Projector Ceiling Mounts Direct LLC. They have storefronts on Amazon, Walmart, Ebay and some others. The pictures online dont match up to what you will get but trust that they are custom made for each brand and model projector. By far the best and sturdiest mount I have ever owned. Easiest by far to mount and align perfectly with my projector.
post #197 of 397 Old 04-14-2019, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

have attached a picture of my mount for my 5040. It is a tank. It is from Projector Ceiling Mounts Direct LLC. They have storefronts on Amazon, Walmart, Ebay and some others. The pictures online dont match up to what you will get but trust that they are custom made for each brand and model projector. By far the best and sturdiest mount I have ever owned. Easiest by far to mount and align perfectly with my projector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190411_220154_1555239286046.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	859.9 KB
ID:	2552672  
post #198 of 397 Old 04-14-2019, 03:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Another picture of my mount. Please see previous post
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190411_215458_1555239369893.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	392.0 KB
ID:	2552674  
post #199 of 397 Old 04-14-2019, 04:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You viewed uncalibrated which by all accounts is meant to favour the JVC because everything I have read so far suggests that these projectors get surprisingly close visually when fully calibrated and its only things like sharpness, brightness, contrast and motion handling that truly separate them without measuring equipment. I don’t understand why any retailer wouldn’t want to show potential customers a projector at its optimum especially in a fully light controlled room, seems crazy to me. Anyhow to answer your dilemma I’d try and find somewhere that has both fully calibrated or at least ask the dealer if and when they are getting theirs done if at all, at least then you could make a more calculated opinion on what you see. The graininess you see is something I’ve been noticing quite a bit from disc to disc, some are awful ‘the first man’ is one that springs to mind where as others like ‘Lucy’ are simply stunning, I’m worrying the best the projector get the more poor quality recording become more noticeable.

Like you I debated this very thought though in my case it was between the Epson 9400, JVC x7500 or Sony 270es, at my viewing distance I didn’t notice much if any improvement with the Native 4K Sony and there was zero improvement in blacks plus the Epson imo knocked spots off it in HDR and since I could find a JVC at the time I went for the Epson and intend to improve my subs over time until the point 4K really does come down in price.
Alaric and CallingMrBenzo like this.

post #200 of 397 Old 04-14-2019, 04:25 AM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithj101 View Post

Used to have a Barco BG808 CRT hanging over my head. Now those things are HUGE and at something like 70kg. I beefed up the ceiling joist and had a serious mount for that!

All the 3 chip high contrast projectors are fairly large format. The JVCs, Sonys and Epsons. The triple light path means size compared with single chip stuff. Decent mount and fixings and you'll be fine.
Can also add a safety strap on a second separate fixing if nervous. A chain to U bracket for example!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Sound - Marantz SR6011 (pre/atmos), Yamaha Z9, Mirage Om-6's, Om-C2's, 6x Om-R2's, 4x Nanosat (atmos), Dual Paradigim Servo 15's
Additional - MiniDSP : DDRC-88a, 2x4HD
Source -Panasonic DP-UB420, Toshiba HD-XE1, Sony SCD-XE620
Vision - Epson TW9400, eecolour Lut Box, 120" Spitfire Acoustically Transparent Screen
post #201 of 397 Old 04-14-2019, 04:40 AM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:

The graininess you see is something I’ve been noticing quite a bit from disc to disc, some are awful ‘the first man’ is one that springs to mind where as others like ‘Lucy’ are simply stunning, I’m worrying the best the projector get the more poor quality recording become more noticeable.

Like you I debated this very thought though in my case it was between the Epson 9400, JVC x7500 or Sony 270es, at my viewing distance I didn’t notice much if any improvement with the Native 4K Sony and there was zero improvement in blacks plus the Epson imo knocked spots off it in HDR and since I could find a JVC at the time I went for the Epson and intend to improve my subs over time until the point 4K really does come down in price.
I've noticed a lot more grain too. The Epson can be a bit unforgiving with less than perfect films.

Incredibles 2 uhd the other night was crisp and amazing, though i needed my UHD Bright setting and the slider down low to get the best. Actually found I'd turned off the Panasonic Optimiser, so still not sure about the Auto HDR fuss! I also kept getting distracted by Elastigirls outfit and how shiny chrome bits looked!

The Matrix UHD the other night however has a lot of grain. Tweaked the sharpness presets down on that one!

As for my plan, well NO projector is a forever projector. HDR needs a lot of light and the Epson fits that and is the way forward for the time being. I see 3-4yrs for me with it. At which point HDR formats should be sorted, probably laser brightness much higher and native 4k far lower prices and 8k pixel shifting will be the new norm

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Sound - Marantz SR6011 (pre/atmos), Yamaha Z9, Mirage Om-6's, Om-C2's, 6x Om-R2's, 4x Nanosat (atmos), Dual Paradigim Servo 15's
Additional - MiniDSP : DDRC-88a, 2x4HD
Source -Panasonic DP-UB420, Toshiba HD-XE1, Sony SCD-XE620
Vision - Epson TW9400, eecolour Lut Box, 120" Spitfire Acoustically Transparent Screen
post #202 of 397 Old 04-14-2019, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,

My screen size is 120 inch and my viewing position is just 10 feet.

I fear that I might see some screen door effect even with 4k mode ON.

What do you think?
post #203 of 397 Old 04-14-2019, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Send a message via Skype™ to Blu-Boy in BKK
I’ve walked up to within inches of my screen and observed no screen door effect.
MidnightWatcher likes this.

Projector: Epson EH-TW9400UB | Screen: 135" | HDTV: LG 50PH660V 3D Plasma | BD Players: Panasonic DP-UB420EBK | Pioneer BDP-450 (ABC) | Receivers: Denon AVR-X4400H & Denon PMA 520AE | Speakers: Jamo S636 HCS 7.0 & Onkyo SKH-410 x4 | Subwoofer: Wharfedale Diamond SW150 |
post #204 of 397 Old 04-14-2019, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan88 View Post
Hello,

What do you think?
I have owned the 5040 for 18 months and I have never seen any screen door effect and I sit approximately ten feet away from 120 inch screen. It really has provided me with an amazing picture and movie going experience.
WynsWrld98 and old corps like this.
post #205 of 397 Old 04-14-2019, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2684
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan88 View Post
Hello,

What do you think?
Your fear is unfounded and likely based on lesser quality or older LCD technology of the past. It's a non issue for today's projectors.
WynsWrld98 likes this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #206 of 397 Old 04-14-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
You viewed uncalibrated which by all accounts is meant to favour the JVC because everything I have read so far suggests that these projectors get surprisingly close visually when fully calibrated and its only things like sharpness, brightness, contrast and motion handling that truly separate them without measuring equipment. I don’t understand why any retailer wouldn’t want to show potential customers a projector at its optimum especially in a fully light controlled room, seems crazy to me. Anyhow to answer your dilemma I’d try and find somewhere that has both fully calibrated or at least ask the dealer if and when they are getting theirs done if at all, at least then you could make a more calculated opinion on what you see. The graininess you see is something I’ve been noticing quite a bit from disc to disc, some are awful ‘the first man’ is one that springs to mind where as others like ‘Lucy’ are simply stunning, I’m worrying the best the projector get the more poor quality recording become more noticeable.

I certainly suspect the lack of calibration is the primary reason the images didn't blow me away. I totally agree about not understanding why retailers don't calibrate to present their products in the best possible fashion.

Absolute hi fi is the only retailer who has the JVC set up for demo. Last weekend was the only time they had the 505UB as it was on loan from Epson and was being sent back this week. The only other place that has the JVC is Klapp Audio down in Melbourne ( a plane flight or 10 hour drive away.

It's true that as projectors get better that the old truism "garbage in, garbage out" becomes more valid. Fortunately cinematography is getting better too.
post #207 of 397 Old 04-14-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake18 View Post
The projectors you demo'd are head and shoulders beyond your 14 year old projector. I am truly shocked you didn't notice a MASSIVE difference, hell, I noticed a huge difference going from my Epson 8700UB to my current 5030UB. Huge difference.
I know. While they both appeared sharper than the TW-2000 the overall picture wan't the leap and bound i expected. i assume it was being uncalibrated.
post #208 of 397 Old 04-14-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
Your wife sounds amazing. If you can't tell a Life altering difference between your 14 year old Epson and either the Epson 5050UB or JVC NX5 the you truly are one lucky man. Save your money and spend it on something you and your are blown away by and can tell a world shattering difference in the experience for both of you. Unfortunately most of the forum members would perceive the difference between a 14 year old projector and today's projector technology as the difference between a candle and a light bulb, literally night and day if a heavy gust of wind blew. Sincerely you are not stricken with the same disease that afflicts most of the forum : upgraditis.
She is. I do have upgraditis: badly. But I also have no money. I usually can see a difference in picture quality. In 2014 I was going to upgrade and viewed the 5020UB and the Sony 55. both were noticeably better than my TW-2000. But both had been calibrated for demo. So it does make a difference. The N9 in the video from Value Electronics demo was stunning, but that was calibrated by Kris Deering. Javs photos from his 9500 are stunning. He did his custom curves. Maybe the movies I chose just didn't showcase that big an improvement and as said these projectors were uncalibrated. I wouldn't mind a used 9500, but most owners are hanging on to those and the resale prices are so high I might as well just buy the N5.
post #209 of 397 Old 04-14-2019, 05:30 PM

So for owners of the 5050/9400, how does the 3D look on it? Has the ghosting problem been solved? As I said in my original post, the shop didn't have a set-up for either the JVC or Epson to demo 3D. As 3D is one of main reasons for upgrading, if the Epson still ghosts it is out of the running.
WynsWrld98 likes this.
post #210 of 397 Old 04-14-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid$team View Post
couple questions:

What projector are you coming from?

Are you comparing a $3k projector to a $12k projector? If so and you don't see a big difference then I'm not sure how you'll be happier spending $12k

I have been researching the Panasonic players. There is no difference when watching movies between the 2 players. I would save the $500 and put it towards a better AVR but thats just a suggestion since you brought it up. Not trying to tell you how to spend your money... just offering options.
I have the Epson TW-2000. It's about 14 years old.

The Epson 5050/9400 is under 5 grand and the N5 under ten grand. As these are both new models and one faux 4k and the other true 4k, that was the purpose of demoing them. I'd not seen either version before, only read reviews of them. As stated, there wasn't a great difference between them. The true 4k was noticeable, but maybe after calibration of both projectors it would be less so.

I will probably go for the Panasonic 820 with an eye to upgrade a few years down the line if they introduce dynamic tone-mapping or if madshi delivers on madVR ENVY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
epson pro cinema 5050ub

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page