Epson Home Cinema 5050UB 4K PRO-UHD HDR Projector Hands-On Review - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 186Likes

post #211 of 359 Old 04-15-2019, 03:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBoy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid$team View Post
couple questions:

What projector are you coming from?

Are you comparing a $3k projector to a $12k projector? If so and you don't see a big difference then I'm not sure how you'll be happier spending $12k

I have been researching the Panasonic players. There is no difference when watching movies between the 2 players. I would save the $500 and put it towards a better AVR but thats just a suggestion since you brought it up. Not trying to tell you how to spend your money... just offering options.
I have the Epson TW-2000. It's about 14 years old.

The Epson 5050/9400 is under 5 grand and the N5 under ten grand. As these are both new models and one faux 4k and the other true 4k, that was the purpose of demoing them. I'd not seen either version before, only read reviews of them. As stated, there wasn't a great difference between them. The true 4k was noticeable, but maybe after calibration of both projectors it would be less so.

I will probably go for the Panasonic 820 with an eye to upgrade a few years down the line if they introduce dynamic tone-mapping or if madshi delivers on madVR ENVY.
Yeah, the newer Epson 5050UB will blow that 14 year old Epson out of the water in every possible way, it would literally be impossible not to see a massive difference, videophile or not, unless you were nearly blind or in a fully lit room.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 359 Old 04-15-2019, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
So for owners of the 5050/9400, how does the 3D look on it? Has the ghosting problem been solved? As I said in my original post, the shop didn't have a set-up for either the JVC or Epson to demo 3D. As 3D is one of main reasons for upgrading, if the Epson still ghosts it is out of the running.
If the "ghosting problem" you're referring to is on the 5040/6040, that problem was due mostly to having the auto iris engaged when watching 3D. With auto iris off, 3D brightness on low, and 3D depth properly adjusted, I have seen no ghosting on my 6040.
Alaric likes this.
post #213 of 359 Old 04-15-2019, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
You definitely will be amazed that the picture quality that you get with the combination of the Epson 5050ub and the Panasonic ub820. If you look on Best Buy you can find a lot of Panasonic ub820 s they have been returned because I think people are not pairing them with a projector and hence not seeing the benefit of the auto tone mapping because they are just using it with a regular television or even an OLED. I would say with a television especially OLED the auto tone mapping feature it's probably not showcased as it is with the projectors. You could save yourself a couple of bucks by buying one of the returned Panasonic ub820 s.
I have it paired with the Epson 4010 and LOVE it. I’m so enjoying it. The blacks are great even on the 4010. I have a free calibration to use, too.

Last edited by teachsac; 04-16-2019 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Price discussion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 359 Old 04-15-2019, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyGS View Post
Quote:
You definitely will be amazed that the picture quality that you get with the combination of the Epson 5050ub and the Panasonic ub820. If you look on Best Buy you can find a lot of Panasonic ub820 s they have been returned because I think people are not pairing them with a projector and hence not seeing the benefit of the auto tone mapping because they are just using it with a regular television or even an OLED. I would say with a television especially OLED the auto tone mapping feature it's probably not showcased as it is with the projectors. You could save yourself a couple of bucks by buying one of the returned Panasonic ub820 s.
I have it paired with the Epson 4010 and LOVE it. I’m so enjoying it. The blacks are great even on the 4010. I have a free calibration to use, too.
Welcome to The Forum and thanks for your input. I have been having some problems with my Epson 5040 related to the power supply issue put Epson has been wonderful and amazing with their customer focus. I bought my first Epson projector in 2009 and I own the Epson 5030 before my 5040. Epson has graciously offered to replace my 5040 with a 5050 at no cost to myself. FedEx is supposed to deliver my 5050 tomorrow. I cannot say enough great things about Epson projectors and the way Epson stands behind their product.

Last edited by teachsac; 04-16-2019 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Price discussion
post #215 of 359 Old 04-16-2019, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have an Epson 6500UB which I like a lot, especially considering its age and a new lamp under 100 hours ago. I would have upgraded to a 5040UB, or even 5050UB, instead of replacing the lamp except that they are physically huge compared to the 6500 and won't fit in the tambour-doored cabinet at the rear of the room whereas the 6500 does nicely. Since the room is not a dedicated theater, being able to hide the projector (and motorized screen) when they are not in use is a must - just ask my wife. In any event, I was surprised that the 5050 isn't laser with 3 LCD panels which should permit it to be smaller and maybe brighter even if possibly not as compact as the 6500UB. Oh well, next year's model?....
post #216 of 359 Old 04-16-2019, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Cool

removing the size factor,

have you tried to demo the same material on OLED to compare?

Quote:
I saw a demo today of the Epson 5050/9400 and the JVC N5. Both projectors were shown uncalibrated, out-of-the-box. I didn't check the menu so have no idea of the settings in terms of brightness, contrast, etc. so these are just my raw impressions.

At home I have a 16:9 150 inch diagonal white 1.0 gain screen with an Epson TW-2000 UB projector that's 14 years old. The screen at Absolute Hifi was the same size, but may have been a higher gain as it looked a bit shiny at the centre. The player in the shop was a Cambridge 4k player. The room was completely light controlled and the wall were dark paint.

I brought Pirates of the Caribbean, The Fifth Element on blu-ray, Desk Set on DVD. I brought Sin City 2 and The Hobbit to try 3D, but they didn't have the glasses, emitter, etc. so can't comment on 3D, which is unfortunate since it is my main upgrade motivator. They also played a nature 4k demo called Les Sesienes.

My wife and I thought both projectors threw a nice picture, however neither of us thought the images were stunning, awesome, mind-blowing or any other adjectives that I expected I would be saying about these projectors. It was a definite step up from my projector, but incrementally. I expected the "whole other level" experience, but can't say I got it. For example, the black bars on both projectors didn't appear to be any darker than what I see on my old projector. Even the N5 wasn't very dark. markmon1 would have blanched white at this demo. Maybe the DI wasn't engaged.

We both felt the N5 was better than the Epson, but again, while noticeable it was more incremental than "whole other level". The JVC seemed brighter and skin tones more natural. However since neither were calibrated, even basically, I don't think it could in any way be considered a fair comparison of what they can do. I think there is consensus that JVC's are better out of the box than Epson. I noticed film grain or noise in both images, but the N5 was cleaner. I didn't hear any fan noise or DI noise, but also didn't try any scenes noted for creating them. I expected that both projectors would produce a much more film-like image, but honestly it just wasn't a big jump up from my old Epson.

We watched the Star Wars movie Solo when we got home. Even as bad as the contrast in that movie is reported to be (and it is in many scenes) I still think the viewing experience on my old Epson looked about like what i would imagine it would have looked on those two.

Sorry I can' offer a more technical appraisal. Others who have either seen demo's or purchased the new JVC's obviously have different opinions and experiences. I'n not denigrating the new lines, just wish I'd been blown away. Maybe that just shows how good the old Epsons are.

I will upgrade at some point, if only for the 3D and HDR.

My wife says I might as well get the JVC, but I'm at a quandary point. Since the image isn't mind blowing and this is first generation JVC 4k, do I hold off til 2nd or third gen before forking out 12 grand (or hopefully less by then)? Or go the riskier used JVC route? Do I get the Epson and use the extra money to upgrade my Pioneer 9.2 audio system to Atmos/DTS:X via Denon/Marantz/Yamaha 5.2.4? Can't answer these nagging questions yet, but at least I have a wife who says "It's more expensive, but I think you should go for the JVC. It had a nicer picture" and "get the Panasonic 9000 rather than the 820. You'll be happier." And I should mention, we are pooooor.

to the edge of eternity and depth of infinity, stupidity knows no bound.
post #217 of 359 Old 04-16-2019, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFonger View Post
removing the size factor,

have you tried to demo the same material on OLED to compare?
Up until I got my OLED 65” in the main family room I previously had a Sony LED on the same size I would have rated my Epson in my bat cave as good in contrast and black levels but compared to my OLED it doesn’t come close, in fact no projector currently made gets close.

But the bottom line is a 100” plus OLED will cost a big never mind small fortune so for a true cinema experience we are stuck with a projector.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #218 of 359 Old 04-16-2019, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 37
agreed. hopefully stuff like microLED comes to market pretty soon assuming quality is as good or superior to OLED.

there are many folks stuck like you between HDR performance vs. large size.

but i think the reality is that 90% of the content (prior to 2000s) is still pretty excellent on a front projector. if your current FP is doing its job, i stick to phrases like
"if it aint broke dont fix it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
Up until I got my OLED 65” in the main family room I previously had a Sony LED on the same size I would have rated my Epson in my bat cave as good in contrast and black levels but compared to my OLED it doesn’t come close, in fact no projector currently made gets close.

But the bottom line is a 100” plus OLED will cost a big never mind small fortune so for a true cinema experience we are stuck with a projector.

to the edge of eternity and depth of infinity, stupidity knows no bound.
post #219 of 359 Old 04-16-2019, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Asked on a few threads with no answers yet. Do any Epson’s suffer from shifting noise like some report on the JVC models? Referred to as a whirring noise that varies between units quit a bit. Anyone, Bueller, Bueller??
post #220 of 359 Old 04-16-2019, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactoast View Post
Asked on a few threads with no answers yet. Do any Epson’s suffer from shifting noise like some report on the JVC models? Referred to as a whirring noise that varies between units quit a bit. Anyone, Bueller, Bueller??
I can’t say I’ve noticed it above the noise of the fan in ECO mode.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #221 of 359 Old 04-17-2019, 02:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I just bought a Epson Home Cinema 4000 last year. Now I have got the upgrade-itis. I game about 20% of the time, but I think the 18Gbs for HDMI and the ability to go full 4k / 60Hz will be enough justification to upgrade.

I would also think the streaming would benefit as well...Netflix, Apple TV, etc.

Any one been gaming / streaming on this 5050 enough yet to give a good review?

Last edited by jsizzle424; 04-17-2019 at 02:49 AM.
post #222 of 359 Old 04-17-2019, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
TONE MAPPING:

With the updated tone mapping in the 5050UB, what is your guys' opinion on needing the Panasonic UB820 player's tone mapping, too??

Is the UB820 player's tone mapping overkill? Needed? I'm trying to save $499 if it is purely optional!

Thanks for your opinions.
CallingMrBenzo likes this.
post #223 of 359 Old 04-17-2019, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Anyone here have the HDMI wireless option ? How stable is it ? These reviewers never seem to test/review the wireless HDMI options. I want to eventually get 5050 but not sure if its worth the extra $300. FYI IoGear just released a wireless HDMI unit that operates at 60Ghz so it is supposed to be interference free.
post #224 of 359 Old 04-17-2019, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete ramberg View Post
TONE MAPPING:

With the updated tone mapping in the 5050UB, what is your guys' opinion on needing the Panasonic UB820 player's tone mapping, too??

Is the UB820 player's tone mapping overkill? Needed? I'm trying to save $499 if it is purely optional!

Thanks for your opinions.
Epson just replaced my 5040 with a 5050. I already owned the Panansonic UB820 which replaced an Oppo 203. Definitely not overkill. Watching the same movie through Vudu choosing UHD and then watching through the Panasonic ub820, the player is brighter and resolves more spectral highlights . The scene where Thor takes on the full power of a star in Avengers Endgame is so bright on the Panny 820 it caused me to squint. I own an LG OLED 55 INCH 9500 and I thought a projector could never match it for HDR performance. I was wrong. EPSON has really placed the bar so high with the 5050 I am sure Sony and JVC are working hard to lower the price on Native 4k. Speaking on the panny 820 the soundstage is wider and deeper and significant more clarity than my Oppo 203. I sold my Oppo 203. This picture cant do justice but here you go. The panny 820 has much better upconversion of bluray to 4K. Honestly the combination of Epson 5050ub and Panasonic UB820 takes my breath away. My wife asked me if I had turned the volume up and if I bought a new OLED . It was that amazing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190417_112850_1555519119066.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	2554442  
Alaric, LVS and MidnightWatcher like this.
post #225 of 359 Old 04-17-2019, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactoast View Post
This is my fourth projector all Epson so I'm always speaking from experience with them although my friends have JVC and Sony this is by far the quietest projector I've ever had I have about 12 hours on the Epson 5050 at this point overall it's an amazing projector. HDR blows me away it's like watching an OLED television
LVS likes this.
post #226 of 359 Old 04-17-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Epson just replaced my 5040 with a 5050. I already owned the Panansonic UB820 which replaced an Oppo 203. Definitely not overkill. Watching the same movie through Vudu choosing UHD and then watching through the Panasonic ub820, the player is brighter and resolves more spectral highlights . The scene where Thor takes on the full power of a star in Avengers Endgame is so bright on the Panny 820 it caused me to squint. I own an LG OLED 55 INCH 9500 and I thought a projector could never match it for HDR performance. I was wrong. EPSON has really placed the bar so high with the 5050 I am sure Sony and JVC are working hard to lower the price on Native 4k. Speaking on the panny 820 the soundstage is wider and deeper and significant more clarity than my Oppo 203. I sold my Oppo 203. This picture cant do justice but here you go. The panny 820 has much better upconversion of bluray to 4K. Honestly the combination of Epson 5050ub and Panasonic UB820 takes my breath away. My wife asked me if I had turned the volume up and if I bought a new OLED . It was that amazing.
Skylar - can you comment on playing the same disc without using the Panny UB820's tone mapping and just using the 5050UB's HDR1 or HDR2 mode?? Then, adding the Panny player's tone mapping and comparing? Or, was that what you were doing with your Vudu?

Just wondering about straight HDR fed to the 5050UB and using its HDR mode 1 or 2 versus using Panny's UB820 tone mapping WITH HDR1 or 2.

Thanks, man.
post #227 of 359 Old 04-17-2019, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Skylar - can you comment on playing the same disc without using the Panny UB820's tone mapping and just using the 5050UB's HDR1 or HDR2 mode?? Then, adding the Panny player's tone mapping and comparing? Or, was that what you were doing with your Vudu?

Just wondering about straight HDR fed to the 5050UB and using its HDR mode 1 or 2 versus using Panny's UB820 tone mapping WITH HDR1 or 2.

Thanks, man.
The 5050ub doesn’t have a two fixed HDR settings it has a slider so you can fine tune it to suit the movie you are watching more precisely.
Alaric likes this.

post #228 of 359 Old 04-17-2019, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, man.
Dont have time to test right now. Tomorrow for sure but I think it will be a redundant test as using Vudu takes the panny 820 out of the equation and you are just utilizing HDR of the projector. Which is still amazing for HDR when running Vudu through a Roku Ultra. Night and day between the 5040 and 5050. 5050 is truly plug and play. 5050 HDR is way better than any custom curves I tried in 18 months with the 5040.
post #229 of 359 Old 04-17-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
The 5050ub doesn’t have a two fixed HDR settings it has a slider so you can fine tune it to suit the movie you are watching more precisely.
Yeah, I remembered that after I wrote about the HDR modes. Hopefully, using the slider versus UB820 tone mapping as well as using both will be understood. Thanks.

So, let me try again!!!!

TONE MAPPING:

Skylar, or anybody, what difference do you see with the Panasonic UB820 tone mapping used in conjunction with the 5050UB HDR slider versus just the 5050UB HDR slider?

Is the 5050UB slider sufficient on its own, or can more be gained by using the Panny UB820 tone mapping in conjunction with the 5050UB HDR slider?

There!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by pete ramberg; 04-17-2019 at 12:55 PM.
post #230 of 359 Old 04-17-2019, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, I remembered that after I wrote about the HDR modes. Hopefully, using the slider versus UB820 tone mapping as well as using both will be understood. Thanks.

So, let me try again!!!!

TONE MAPPING:

Skylar, or anybody, what difference do you see with the Panasonic UB820 tone mapping used in conjunction with the 5050UB HDR slider versus just the 5050UB HDR slider?

Is the 5050UB slider sufficient on its own, or can more be gained by using the Panny UB820 tone mapping in conjunction with the 5050UB HDR slider?

There!!!!!!!!!!!
I have the sliders set to 8 which is the default setting when the projector arrives. When watching UHD movies on Vudu there is a definite uptick in spectral highlights and over all brightness compared to any custom curves I used with my Epson 5040. The Panasonic ub820 definitely takes the 5050 into LG OLED territory for HDR. I can't believe I just wrote that but it appears that stunning to my own eyes. I am in the Philadelphia PA area if anyone wants a demo with both products combined. Using a Seymour Glacier white Perfectly smooth 123 inch screen. I wish Panasonic would add Vudu support so I could use the HDR optimizer. It makes a very noticeable difference. Picture is Avengers Endgame on 4k disc using the Panasonic UB820.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190417_094823_1555545288662.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	564.4 KB
ID:	2554616  
MidnightWatcher likes this.
post #231 of 359 Old 04-17-2019, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
I have the sliders set to 8 which is the default setting when the projector arrives. When watching UHD movies on Vudu there is a definite uptick in spectral highlights and over all brightness compared to any custom curves I used with my Epson 5040. The Panasonic ub820 definitely takes the 5050 into LG OLED territory for HDR. I can't believe I just wrote that but it appears that stunning to my own eyes. I am in the Philadelphia PA area if anyone wants a demo with both products combined. Using a Seymour Glacier white Perfectly smooth 123 inch screen. I wish Panasonic would add Vudu support so I could use the HDR optimizer. It makes a very noticeable difference. Picture is Avengers Endgame on 4k disc using the Panasonic UB820.
What mode is the 5050 in?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos Of My Theater | Vero 4K | Epson 5030UB + Peerless PRG-UNV | 100" EluneVision Reference 4K Screen | Onkyo TX-NR555 @ 5.2.2 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | Polk Audio RTi A9 + CSi A6 + OWM3 + Micca M8C + SVS PC2000 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83V Mini PC + MoviePosterApp | Z83V + DietPi FTP Server + 2 x 8TB HDDs + 4 x DLink DHP-701AV
post #232 of 359 Old 04-17-2019, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post

Looks like it’s a 123 from his post....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marantz 7011- Panasonic UB-820- Xbox One X - Epson HC 5050UB *Calibrated by ChadB* - Elite Screen's 2:35:1 AT 115' - PSA MTM 110's L/C/R - Mixed Surrounds - SVS Elevations Atmos X2 - Dual PSA VT36 B&C Neo's *MiniDSP HD* Took the Red Pill BEQ
post #233 of 359 Old 04-17-2019, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallingMrBenzo View Post
Yeah, saw that after. I'm curious to know the settings as well -- my guess is Bright Cinema, medium power?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos Of My Theater | Vero 4K | Epson 5030UB + Peerless PRG-UNV | 100" EluneVision Reference 4K Screen | Onkyo TX-NR555 @ 5.2.2 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | Polk Audio RTi A9 + CSi A6 + OWM3 + Micca M8C + SVS PC2000 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83V Mini PC + MoviePosterApp | Z83V + DietPi FTP Server + 2 x 8TB HDDs + 4 x DLink DHP-701AV
post #234 of 359 Old 04-17-2019, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Color mode is natural
Power Comsumption Medium
Auto Iris Off
Image Enhancement set to Off

Projector is 16 ft from screen ceiling mounted dead center . 123 inch 16x9 screen. My first row is 12 ft back which is where I took the picture with my Samsung S9.

I will be trying Alaric's settings.
Alaric and MidnightWatcher like this.
post #235 of 359 Old 04-17-2019, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallingMrBenzo View Post
Yeah, saw that after. I'm curious to know the settings as well -- my guess is Bright Cinema, medium power?
This is YouTubeTV through a Roku Ultra player and the picture still looks really good. Will have Jeff Meier of Accucal Av in after 200 hours on the lamp. Lamps are usually a little bright in the beginning but I still believe the HDR is a significant improvement over the 5040 that was in my theater a week ago which was calibrated by Jeff and had an outstanding picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190417_212134_1555550827429.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	493.2 KB
ID:	2554626  
post #236 of 359 Old 04-17-2019, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Color mode is natural
Power Comsumption Medium
Auto Iris Off

Projector is 16 ft from screen ceiling mounted dead center . 123 inch 16x9 screen. My first row is 12 ft back which is where I took the picture with my Samsung S9.

Excellent, thank you. My 100" screen at 12' back will be great then for HDR.

Must. Resist. Temptation. To. Buy. Now.

post #237 of 359 Old 04-17-2019, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Color mode is natural
Power Comsumption Medium
Auto Iris Off

After two failed Epson 5040 due to power supply issues in less than eighteen months I have every reason to hate Epson LOL. I strongly encouraged them to replace my projector with a 5050. Let's just say it involves me opening up a Twitter account for the first time and I really don't have any other social media profiles anywhere. They needed a stronger nudge then I would have preferred but I certainly didn't want a refurbished third Epson 5040. So believe me I was skeptical of the reviews that said this was a game changer from some trusted professionals. Honestly at this price point it really is a game changer and the picture is also noticeably sharper than the 5040.
post #238 of 359 Old 04-17-2019, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Color mode is natural
Power Comsumption Medium
Auto Iris Off

After two failed Epson 5040 due to power supply issues in less than eighteen months I have every reason to hate Epson LOL. I strongly encouraged them to replace my projector with a 5050. Let's just say it involves me opening up a Twitter account for the first time and I really don't have any other social media profiles anywhere. They needed a stronger nudge then I would have preferred but I certainly didn't want a refurbished third Epson 5040. So believe me I was skeptical of the reviews that said this was a game changer from some trusted professionals. Honestly at this price point it really is a game changer and the picture is also noticeably sharper than the 5040.
Obviously it helps that my room is blacked out with triple black velvet for 80% of the room including the ceiling my screen is actually only 3 inch from my ceiling with a 3-inch border around the screen but I still I'm Amazed at the HDR with the combination of the Panasonic 820 and the Epson 5050
post #239 of 359 Old 04-17-2019, 08:11 PM

Skylar - thanks so much for the evaluation.

Question: It sounds like you compared a VUDU stream with just the 505UB's tone mapping against a 4k Avengers disc on the UB820 player with its tone mapping along with the 5050UB's tone mapping.

Any chance you could do a comparison between the Avengers disc and UB820 player with and without its tone mapping?? That way, there would be one less variable. I'm just wondering if comparing a VUDU stream against the 4k disc might bias one over the other.

test 1: 4k disc with UB820 tone mapping + 5050UB tone mapping

test 2: same 4k disc with UB820 and no tone mapping + 5050UB tone mapping

Thanks - Pete

Quote:
post #240 of 359 Old 04-18-2019, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

[QUOTE=pete ramberg;57918106]Skylar - thanks so much for the evaluation.

Question: It sounds like you compared a VUDU stream with just the 505UB's tone mapping against a 4k Avengers disc on the UB820 player with its tone mapping along with the 5050UB's tone mapping.

Any chance you could do a comparison between the Avengers disc and UB820 player with and without its tone mapping?? That way, there would be one less variable. I'm just wondering if comparing a VUDU stream against the 4k disc might bias one over the other.

test 1: 4k disc with UB820 tone mapping + 5050UB tone mapping

test 2: same 4k disc with UB820 and no tone mapping + 5050UB tone mapping

The Panasonic UB820 has the settings for projector/low LCD, Middle or high Luminance LCD and OLED. This setting informs the panny of the general nits capability of your display.

When engaging the optimizer my understanding this is the tone mapping using the metadata if it is included on the disc. If my understanding of the settings is incorrect I would appreciate the education.

The second picture is without the optimizer on. No lights on in room. No flash.

First picture is with optimizer set to on. No lights on in room. No flash.

There are 4 settings for the HDR setting button. This is separate from the general settings I listed above.

When you click on the HDR button a message appears saying you will be turning off your chosen settings . I am not sure honestly what message means. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I then chose standard since my room is completely blacked out for the most part.

You can also adjust the level of brightness within each of the four UB820 settings below.

In each of the pictures I have the Epson 5050ub set as follows:

Auto Iris off
Power consumption Medium
color Mode set to Natural
HDR slider is on 6

HDR OPTIMIZER available settings on the Panasonic ub820:

Standard
Natural Environment
Light Environment
Bright Environment

As you can see in the pictures the amount of brightness being added to the picture when the optimizer is on is so significant that the camera displays the picture as blown out. That is not the reality when viewing with your eyes. It looks amazing. By the same token the picture with optimizer off is not nearly as dark as the photo makes it seem. But to the naked eye once again there is a significant decrease in overall brightness when the optimizer is not engaged. I have not had enough time with both the Epson 5050ub and the Panasonic ub820 to dial in any settings. These are just first impressions but I do believe the combination is game changing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190418_132310_1555608683422.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	531.0 KB
ID:	2554874  
LVS likes this.

Last edited by skylarlove1999; 04-19-2019 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Added a setting for HDR slider on the Epson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
epson pro cinema 5050ub

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page