Epson Home Cinema 5050UB 4K PRO-UHD HDR Projector Hands-On Review - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 185Likes

post #241 of 347 Old 04-17-2019, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Skylar - thanks so much for the evaluation.

Question: It sounds like you compared a VUDU stream with just the 505UB's tone mapping against a 4k Avengers disc on the UB820 player with its tone mapping along with the 5050UB's tone mapping.

Any chance you could do a comparison between the Avengers disc and UB820 player with and without its tone mapping?? That way, there would be one less variable. I'm just wondering if comparing a VUDU stream against the 4k disc might bias one over the other.

test 1: 4k disc with UB820 tone mapping + 5050UB tone mapping

test 2: same 4k disc with UB820 and no tone mapping + 5050UB tone mapping

Thanks - Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
I have the sliders set to 8 which is the default setting when the projector arrives. When watching UHD movies on Vudu there is a definite uptick in spectral highlights and over all brightness compared to any custom curves I used with my Epson 5040. The Panasonic ub820 definitely takes the 5050 into LG OLED territory for HDR. I can't believe I just wrote that but it appears that stunning to my own eyes. I am in the Philadelphia PA area if anyone wants a demo with both products combined. Using a Seymour Glacier white Perfectly smooth 123 inch screen. I wish Panasonic would add Vudu support so I could use the HDR optimizer. It makes a very noticeable difference. Picture is Avengers Endgame on 4k disc using the Panasonic UB820.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 347 Old 04-18-2019, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 165
[QUOTE=pete ramberg;57918106]Skylar - thanks so much for the evaluation.

Question: It sounds like you compared a VUDU stream with just the 505UB's tone mapping against a 4k Avengers disc on the UB820 player with its tone mapping along with the 5050UB's tone mapping.

Any chance you could do a comparison between the Avengers disc and UB820 player with and without its tone mapping?? That way, there would be one less variable. I'm just wondering if comparing a VUDU stream against the 4k disc might bias one over the other.

The Panasonic UB820 has the settings for projector/low LCD, Middle or high Luminance LCD and OLED. This setting informs the panny of the general nits capability of your display.

When engaging the optimizer my understanding this is the tone mapping using the metadata if it is included on the disc. If my understanding of the settings is incorrect I would appreciate the education.

The second picture is without the optimizer on. No lights on in room. No flash.

First picture is with optimizer set to on. No lights on in room. No flash.

There are 4 settings for the HDR setting button. This is separate from the general settings I listed above.

When you click on the HDR button a message appears saying you will be turning off your chosen settings . I am not sure honestly what message means. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I then chose standard since my room is completely blacked out for the most part.

You can also adjust the level of brightness within each of the four UB820 settings below.

In each of the pictures I have the Epson 5050ub set as follows:

Auto Iris off
Power consumption Medium
color Mode set to Natural
HDR slider is on 6

HDR OPTIMIZER available settings on the Panasonic ub820:

Standard
Natural Environment
Light Environment
Bright Environment

As you can see in the pictures the amount of brightness being added to the picture when the optimizer is on is so significant that the camera displays the picture as blown out. That is not the reality when viewing with your eyes. It looks amazing. By the same token the picture with optimizer off is not nearly as dark as the photo makes it seem. But to the naked eye once again there is a significant decrease in overall brightness when the optimizer is not engaged. I have not had enough time with both the Epson 5050ub and the Panasonic ub820 to dial in any settings. These are just first impressions but I do believe the combination is game changing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190418_132310_1555608683422.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	531.0 KB
ID:	2554874  
LVS likes this.

Last edited by skylarlove1999; 04-19-2019 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Added a setting for HDR slider on the Epson
post #243 of 347 Old 04-18-2019, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm definitely interested in upgrading to a 5050UB from my 10mo old 5040UB. As a serious gamer, and amassing a solid UHD library, the HDMI struggles with the 5040UB and less than ideal HDR performance have made the 5050UB a very tempting option. I'm waiting for more direct comparisons between 5040/5050, but I'm certainly leaning in the direction of an upgrade.

As for selling my current used 5040UB, is the AVS Classifieds still the best option or would someone recommend some other avenue?

Thanks to everyone with a 5050UB for sharing the wealth of information!

Last edited by t3t5u0; 04-18-2019 at 08:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 347 Old 04-18-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete ramberg View Post
Skylar - thanks so much for the evaluation.

Thanks - Pete

Quote:
I have the sliders set to 8 which is the default setting when the projector arrives. When watching UHD movies on Vudu there is a definite uptick in spectral highlights and over all brightness compared to any custom curves I used with my Epson 5040. The Panasonic ub820 definitely takes the 5050 into LG OLED territory for HDR. I can't believe I just wrote that but it appears that stunning to my own eyes. I am in the Philadelphia PA area if anyone wants a demo with both products combined. Using a Seymour Glacier white Perfectly smooth 123 inch screen. I wish Panasonic would add Vudu support so I could use the HDR optimizer. It makes a very noticeable difference. Picture is Avengers Endgame on 4k disc using the Panasonic UB820.
I also took a photo of the same scene on Vudu. I have a friend who works at Vudu. They also optimize UHD to brighten the image but not as effectively as the Panasonic ub820 IMHO. In the photo collage below:

Top is VUDU UHD
Middle is Panny 820 optimizer off
Bottom is Panny 820 on

As you can see the top and bottom shots have very similar brightness profiles. If you look closely VUDU clearly sacrifices overall detail to achieve brightness. The Panny achieves a somewhat higher level of brightness without sacrificing overall detail. Vudu also sacrifices spectral highlights to achieve that level of brightness. That is why I prefer the Panny with the optimizer engaged. Obviously I am biased towards physical media having purchased both the Oppo 203 and the Panny 820. But I think the proof is in the pictures IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190418_134639_1555610481196.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	666.9 KB
ID:	2554882  
LVS likes this.
post #245 of 347 Old 04-18-2019, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 150
The top and bottom screen shots (Vudu and Panny optimizer on) are way overblown. To my eyes the middle shot with the Panny optimizer off has much more depth and looks better. I'd use the HDR slider on the 5050 if it feels too dark in person.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos Of My Theater | Vero 4K | Epson 5030UB + Peerless PRG-UNV | 100" EluneVision Reference 4K Screen | Onkyo TX-NR555 @ 5.2.2 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | Polk Audio RTi A9 + CSi A6 + OWM3 + Micca M8C + SVS PC2000 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83V Mini PC + MoviePosterApp | Z83V + DietPi FTP Server + 2 x 8TB HDDs + 4 x DLink DHP-701AV
post #246 of 347 Old 04-18-2019, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
I also took a photo of the same scene on Vudu. I have a friend who works at Vudu. They also optimize UHD to brighten the image but not as effectively as the Panasonic ub820 IMHO. In the photo collage below:

Top is VUDU UHD
Bottom is Panny 820 on

As you can see the top and bottom shots have very similar brightness profiles. If you look closely VUDU clearly sacrifices overall detail to achieve brightness. The Panny achieves a somewhat higher level of brightness without sacrificing overall detail. Vudu also sacrifices spectral highlights to achieve that level of brightness. That is why I prefer the Panny with the optimizer engaged. Obviously I am biased towards physical media having purchased both the Oppo 203 and the Panny 820. But I think the proof is in the pictures IMHO.

Can you do a scene with just a 4K UHD disc. From all the examples I’ve scene it does not have an effect as crazy as that. It seems to tone down the brightness to see more detail. At least in what I have scene in Panasonic you tube reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marantz 7011- Panasonic UB-820- Xbox One X - Epson HC 5050UB - Elite Screen's 2:35:1 AT 115' - PSA MTM 110's L/C/R - Mixed Surrounds - SVS Elevations Atmos X2 - PSA S3601 and S3611 ( Dual PSA VT36 Neo's pre ordered) *MiniDSP HD* Took the Red Pill BEQ
post #247 of 347 Old 04-18-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallingMrBenzo View Post
Quote:

Top is VUDU UHD
Bottom is Panny 820 on

Can you do a scene with just a 4K UHD disc. From all the examples I’ve scene it does not have an effect as crazy as that. It seems to tone down the brightness to see more detail. At least in what I have scene in Panasonic you tube reviews.

I did state that the photo exaggerates the brightness effect. Here is a better photo where what you see onscreen better matches the photo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190417_094823_1555618767219.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	564.4 KB
ID:	2554950  
post #248 of 347 Old 04-18-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
I did state that the photo exaggerates the brightness effect. Here is a better photo where what you see onscreen better matches the photo.

I apologize for posting that sklar, I’m just being lazy. I could see it all for myself if I just unbox and hook up my own UB820. I’ve been focused more in just getting a bit of time with the Epson as is. I am also working on fully treating my room with velvet. I’m almost done with the front of the room.

Lights and flash are on I will replace the back wall and ceiling with velvet. Those are just king sized sheets and are reflective.

Marantz 7011- Panasonic UB-820- Xbox One X - Epson HC 5050UB - Elite Screen's 2:35:1 AT 115' - PSA MTM 110's L/C/R - Mixed Surrounds - SVS Elevations Atmos X2 - PSA S3601 and S3611 ( Dual PSA VT36 Neo's pre ordered) *MiniDSP HD* Took the Red Pill BEQ
post #249 of 347 Old 04-18-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I apologize for posting that sklar, I’m just being lazy. I could see it all for myself if I just unbox and hook up my own UB820. I’ve been focused more in just getting a bit of time with the Epson as is. I am also working on fully treating my room with velvet. I’m almost done with the front of the room.

Lights and flash are on I will replace the back wall and ceiling with velvet. Those are just king sized sheets and are reflective.

No worries at all. I was kind of trying to get a picture that over exaggerated the optimizer effect so that the original poster who asked how much of a difference the optimizer makes can see that it does. Please feel free to ask any questions as I have yet to really explore all the great things the Epson 5050ub/Panasonic UB820 combo has to offer yet it is still the best picture I have seen in my theater in the last ten years. Here is another shot where the photo matches more closely with what I am seeing with my eye. Taking photos with my phone is lazy as well and doesn't do the panny ub820 or the Epson 5050ub justice at all.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190417_112850_1555620057821.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	2554960  
post #250 of 347 Old 04-18-2019, 01:50 PM

Skylark would you mind pming me your settings used in that picture.

post #251 of 347 Old 04-18-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:

I just did. I am sure you will have your own preferences. It is honestly such a personal choice. Some people like darker sacrificing overall brightness some people like really spectacular HDR so they willing to sacrifice the deepest blacks. It is what makes this hobby so amazing is there really isn't a wrong answer.
CallingMrBenzo likes this.
post #252 of 347 Old 04-18-2019, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Skylar - one more thing:

Your results seem to indicate that using the Panny UB820 WITH the 5050UB's HDR tone mapping gives you more brightness versus turning the UB820 optimizer off.

Does it do anything to the blacks?? Same blacks as without the UB820 optimizer on?

So, in your humble opinion, what are the benefit(s) of using the UB820 HDR optimizer along with the 5050UB's HDR slider/tone mapping?? Isn't the 505oUB's tone mapping sufficient by itself?

Thanks, man. You are awesomely helpful.

Pete

[QUOTE=
The Panasonic UB820 has the settings for projector/low LCD, Middle or high Luminance LCD and OLED. This setting informs the panny of the general nits capability of your display.

When engaging the optimizer my understanding this is the tone mapping using the metadata if it is included on the disc. If my understanding of the settings is incorrect I would appreciate the education.

The second picture is without the optimizer on. No lights on in room. No flash.

First picture is with optimizer set to on. No lights on in room. No flash.

There are 4 settings for the HDR setting button. This is separate from the general settings I listed above.

When you click on the HDR button a message appears saying you will be turning off your chosen settings . I am not sure honestly what message means. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I then chose standard since my room is completely blacked out for the most part.

You can also adjust the level of brightness within each of the four settings below.

In each of the pictures I have the Epson 5050ub set to Auto iris off power consumption Medium and color Mode set to Natural.

Standard
Natural Environment
Light Environment
Bright Environment

As you can see in the pictures the amount of brightness being added to the picture when the optimizer is on is so significant that the camera displays the picture as blown out. That is not the reality when viewing with your eyes. It looks amazing. By the same token the picture with optimizer off is not nearly as dark as the photo makes it seem. But to the naked eye once again there is a significant decrease in overall brightness when the optimizer is not engaged. I have not had enough time with both the Epson 5050ub and the Panasonic ub820 to dial in any settings. These are just first impressions but I do believe the combination is game changing.[/QUOTE]
post #253 of 347 Old 04-18-2019, 04:57 PM

[QUOTE=pete ramberg;57921808]Skylar - one more thing:

Your results seem to indicate that using the Panny UB820 WITH the 5050UB's HDR tone mapping gives you more brightness versus turning the UB820 optimizer off.

Does it do anything to the blacks?? Same blacks as without the UB820 optimizer on?

So, in your humble opinion, what are the benefit(s) of using the UB820 HDR optimizer along with the 5050UB's HDR slider/tone mapping?? Isn't the 505oUB's tone mapping sufficient by itself?

Thanks, man. You are awesomely helpful.

Pete

I purposely watched UHD on Vudu using My Roku Ultra player first so I could judge the Epson tone mapping by itself. I personally thought that any setting above 8 turned my blacks a little gray and crushed some of the shadow detail . Anything 8 and below still gave great brightness to the picture overall and left some really detailed spectral highlights. IMHO any setting above 8 you started to lose spectral highlights. I still thought the HDR was excellent with just the Epson 5050 by itself. When using the panny 820 it added brightness and really complimented the Epson's tone mapping. The panny 820 allowed higher overall brightness without the crushing of black and crushing shadow detail. The panny 820 seems to provide more spectral detail with a higher brightness. The 5050 by itself still does HDR way better by itself than I ever achieved when combining the panny 820 and the 5040 even using custom curves.
post #254 of 347 Old 04-18-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:

Just posting a link to what is essentially the owners thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...060314?page=12

In case anybody needs it.
post #255 of 347 Old 04-18-2019, 08:30 PM

Liked: 11
I have a Panny UB820 as well, and it has been a godsend with the 5040UB making most UHDs an amazing experience as opposed to the dim-viewing sub-par experience previously. I'm also curious how the UB820 HDR Optimizer plays with the 5050UB HDR tone-mapping modes given that it makes logical sense that too much meddling with the metadata could produce poor results. I have a 5050UB arriving early next week and I'll post my personal results as well. Possibly side-by-side with the 5040UB, if I can set them up simultaneously.
MidnightWatcher likes this.
post #256 of 347 Old 04-18-2019, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi gang

I'm upgrading from my old Marantz S4 and am debating between the 5050 and the Epson LS9600e laser projector.

Obviously if I go laser I'll be foregoing 4K and HDR, but the deeper blacks of laser really appeal to me.

First of all, did anyone here own a Marantz? Would the 5050 surpass the blacks?

I'm really curious if the benefits of laser are worth ignoring the other advancements of the 5050. If I don't care about 4K, is the 9600 a no-brainer, or does the 5050 give it a run for its money?

Thanks in advance for responses!
post #257 of 347 Old 04-18-2019, 11:28 PM

Liked: 0
I'm planning on purchasing the Epson 5050 and was hoping to match it with a Seymour Acoustic Transparent Screen. I was curious what the general consensus is regarding any video degradation by matching it with an AT screen? I am interested in a 135" screen and will be sitting 11 feet away. I concerned with the sharpness of the picture, HDR quality, and the potential of seeing the weave of the screen. This is my first ever post on here so I hope I'm not screwing up any posting protocols. I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!
post #258 of 347 Old 04-19-2019, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I'm planning on purchasing the Epson 5050 and was hoping to match it with a Seymour Acoustic Transparent Screen. I was curious what the general consensus is regarding any video degradation by matching it with an AT screen? I am interested in a 135" screen and will be sitting 11 feet away. I concerned with the sharpness of the picture, HDR quality, and the potential of seeing the weave of the screen. This is my first ever post on here so I hope I'm not screwing up any posting protocols. I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!
Center Stage XD acoustically transparent screen was rated as his top rated AT screen by Jeff Meier of Accucal AV back in 2016. It has been improved upon since then. It is rated to ten feet and out. As long as you are ten feet or greater from the screen you will not see the perforations. Here is the link to the official thread on AVS forum. I would start on page 340. I own a Seymour Glacier White perfectly smooth NON-AT screen. I have never owned a better screen. Great contrast accurate color reproduction deep blacks HDR that really pops and depth that rivals 3D. I would be shocked if you weren't amazed. Chris Seymour owner/operator is a forum member. He and his staff take customer service to another level. Welcome to the forum.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc.../topics/842769
post #259 of 347 Old 04-19-2019, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The Center stage XD has a higher gain and therefore brighter. Center Stage UF is ultra fine weave but either should be invisible at 11 ft. But everyone experience is different. If you need the gain due to room conditions go with the XD. If not the UF has the slightly finer weave and would allow you to sit closer if you desired. Maybe order samples of both and let your own eyes decide.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc...1521921?page=2
[email protected] likes this.
post #260 of 347 Old 04-19-2019, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Marantz to Epson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo_LA View Post
Hi gang

I'm upgrading from my old Marantz S4 and am debating between the 5050 and the Epson LS9600e laser projector.

Obviously if I go laser I'll be foregoing 4K and HDR, but the deeper blacks of laser really appeal to me.

I'm really curious if the benefits of laser are worth ignoring the other advancements of the 5050. If I don't care about 4K, is the 9600 a no-brainer, or does the 5050 give it a run for its money?

I replaced my Marantz VP-12S4 with an Epson 5040 about two years ago. I liked the Marantz projector very much, and got many years of happy movie watching out of it. Wonderful picture quality, but weak light output. My Epson 5040 (and presumably the tweaked 5050) is brighter. Much, much brighter. The contrast is better, and with the various image enhancing features the image is sharper. Better in every way, except motion handling. DLP projectors seem to have an edge over LCD/LCOS with motion.

Refurb Epson 5040UB projectors are intermittently available directly from Epson for peanuts. Epson has great customer service combined with spotty quality control. If you buy a refurb, there is a chance that you will need to return it to Epson for a replacement. So give it a thorough test run before attaching it to your ceiling.

If you are a 4K gamer, the new 5050UB looks like a good choice. I have no experience with the Epson laser models.

If you buy an Epson - coming from your Marantz - you will need to wear sunglasses until you get the new machine properly dialed in.

Happy viewing,
Joel Dickman
post #261 of 347 Old 04-19-2019, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi gang

Why the LS9600? Are you able to get it for an insanely good price? Even then, I'd say no. If you want laser, go with the LS10500. If you want a well rounded projector, you can't go wrong with the 5050.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos Of My Theater | Vero 4K | Epson 5030UB + Peerless PRG-UNV | 100" EluneVision Reference 4K Screen | Onkyo TX-NR555 @ 5.2.2 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | Polk Audio RTi A9 + CSi A6 + OWM3 + Micca M8C + SVS PC2000 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83V Mini PC + MoviePosterApp | Z83V + DietPi FTP Server + 2 x 8TB HDDs + 4 x DLink DHP-701AV
post #262 of 347 Old 04-19-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post
Why the LS9600? Are you able to get it for an insanely good price? Even then, I'd say no. If you want laser, go with the LS10500. If you want a well rounded projector, you can't go wrong with the 5050.
The 5050 and 9600 are both about 3 grand, so it's an even choice - stick with 1080 and go with laser, or get the more advanced in features and pseudo 4K 5050 but continue with a bulb-based projector.

The 10500 is more than double the price!
post #263 of 347 Old 04-19-2019, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The 5050 and 9600 are both about 3 grand, so it's an even choice - stick with 1080 and go with laser, or get the more advanced in features and pseudo 4K 5050 but continue with a bulb-based projector.

The 10500 is more than double the price!
For me the choice would be easy. I'd get the 5050. The only advantage the 9600 offers is laser light source and a better black floor. On the other hand, the advantages of the 5050 outweigh those of the 9600 -- double the lumens, better perceived contrast, HDR, latest e-shift, lighter chassis. Sure, you'll need a new bulb down the road with the 5050, but it's relatively inexpensive and is a small price to pay for the overall better performance (and its only a matter of time when you'll want HDR anyway).

IMHO.
Alaric and Luminated67 like this.

post #264 of 347 Old 04-19-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post
For me the choice would be easy. I'd get the 5050. The only advantage the 9600 offers is laser light source and a better black floor. On the other hand, the advantages of the 5050 outweigh those of the 9600 -- double the lumens, better perceived contrast, HDR, latest e-shift, lighter chassis. Sure, you'll need a new bulb down the road with the 5050, but it's relatively inexpensive and is a small price to pay for the overall better performance (and its only a matter of time when you'll want HDR anyway).

IMHO.
Yeah I definitely understand the benefits of the 5050... I just don't see myself jumping into 4K quite yet. I'm starting from scratch and it doesn't make sense to begin a collection of physical 4K media. And HDR is still in its infancy. If I decide to continue living in a 1080 world for the moment, would the laser projector give me the best possible picture? They both have plenty of lumens and the laser won't dim 50% in a year.

My S4 has maybe 400 lumens calibrated, and either of these would easily beat that in a low lamp/calibrated mode.

In a few years true, low cost 4K projectors will be the norm, HDR will be worked out and the content will be far more available. And, to be honest, 1080 on a 100" screen looks great to me. Yes, HDR is nice, but I'm past the point in life where I feel the need to have every last drop of picture quality. There comes a point when "great" is good enough!

I guess it comes down to is the laser projector the best possible 1080 experience, or would even a 5040 come so close it doesn't matter?

I'd love to hear from anyone who has seen a 5040 and the 9600 in action! Maybe time to start a new thread...
Superman2 likes this.
post #265 of 347 Old 04-19-2019, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If I decide to continue living in a 1080 world for the moment, would the laser projector give me the best possible picture?
If you have a light-controlled room that can be completely darkened with little reflection, no doubt it will give you a fantastic picture because of the great blacks. You would be very happy.
CallingMrBenzo likes this.

post #266 of 347 Old 04-22-2019, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
I just don't see myself jumping into 4K quite yet. I'm starting from scratch and it doesn't make sense to begin a collection of physical 4K media.
To me that sounds like the perfect time to start a 4K collection, as you won't be replacing anything! My 4K collection is minor compared to my 1080p one, but I've already started replacing movies :/

For new movies I only look at 4K releases these days. If they're only selling 1080p I'll wait until some point in the future when 4K is available. There are some exceptions like music, standup or documentaries (if they wouldn't benefit from 4K and/or HDR) or if it's extremely unlikely a higher release will ever be available (Star Trek [sigh], obscure or foreign releases, etc.)

Rob
PT-AE8000U | LG 55C7P | Oppo UDP-203 | Onkyo TX-NR636 | JBL 5.1
post #267 of 347 Old 04-25-2019, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 420 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8736 Post(s)
Liked: 15253
Looking for home theater enthusiasts to join us in NYC on May 7... register if you can attend.

https://www.avsforum.com/new-epson-4...ook-live-demo/

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-25-2019 at 12:34 PM.
post #268 of 347 Old 04-25-2019, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked: 2507
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Looking for home theater enthusiasts to join us in NYC on May 7... register if you can attend.

I want to SO bad but considering I just spent a lot more than my next projector would have cost on travel to the Caribbean... I’ll have to pass. Looking forward to seeing lots of posts and media from the event though!
imagic and Superman2 like this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #269 of 347 Old 04-25-2019, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
looking for home theater enthusiasts to join us in nyc on may 7... Register if you can attend.

Your link is no good
post #270 of 347 Old 04-25-2019, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 420 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8736 Post(s)
Liked: 15253
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
Your link is no good
Crazy!