Epson 5050UB, BenQ HT5550, JVC X790R - Which one to get? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 45Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 176 Old 04-12-2019, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
Luminated67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 963
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 365
I’d suggest ringing round a few dealers who do JVC, BenQ and Epson and see if their demo rooms have a screen size similar to yours and go demo them to decide.
plain fan, mickey79 and rcsauvag like this.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
Luminated67 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 176 Old 04-12-2019, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
04rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London, Canada
Posts: 1,043
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I heard that the JVCs are very slow with input switching and menu changes? Is this correct? How slow are we talking and what do you have to be doing to have it go slow? As simple as changing brightness or something makes it go slow?

I only use 1 input anyways and have my receiver handle the switching, would that cause it to go slow?


And how is the motion handling with the JVC with sports and the such?

FAMILY ROOM - Totem Tribe II LCR, JL Audio E-112, Anthem MRX 720, Apple TV, WD HDTV, Panasonic 55" Plasma
BASEMENT THEATRE - Paradigm Studio 100 v5, 690 v5, 10x4 v5, Anthem AVM 60, Outlaw Audio 7700 & 7125, 2x JTR Captivator S2s, X-Box One X, Apple TV 4K, HTPC, JVC NX-5, 106" screen

Last edited by 04rex; 04-12-2019 at 01:28 PM.
04rex is offline  
post #33 of 176 Old 04-12-2019, 02:05 PM
Member
 
tehknics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Subscribed! I'm stuck on the same 3 projectors as well. I would be curious to hear any good deals over a PM that any of you might find =)

My only difference from OP would be a smaller screen (110" 16x9 or a slightly smaller scope screen), mainly movies and some gaming.
CallingMrBenzo likes this.
tehknics is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 176 Old 04-12-2019, 03:12 PM
Senior Member
 
microwiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 193
1. NONE of these projectors will work for HDR and or 3D with out some serious gain on a 150 inch screen. The Epson will fail just as spectacular as the other two if the gain is 1.0

2. You really think the epson with that 250w lamp is going to be that much brighter than the JVC and it's 265w lamp? There's marketing and there is reality, my 5030 with that same lamp was not as bright as the JVC.

Motion flow on the epson and JVC were both decent, nothing stands out to me, navigating menus were the same to me.

Pioneer SC-95, Axiom M80, VP180 Dual EP500 all V4. ISCO III, RS540 + Stewart Cima Neve 133

Last edited by microwiz; 04-12-2019 at 04:16 PM.
microwiz is offline  
post #35 of 176 Old 04-13-2019, 03:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blake18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,080
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestrosc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey79 View Post
A lot of people are talking, asking and struggling with the decision as printed in the title, so I decided to make an independent thread. The Epson 5050UB Review thread is full of this question, with no clear answers, and it seems like this question is now spread around across all different review & announcement threads for the 3 models listed.

It's time to consolidate.

A lot of folks, it seems, are in the market right now to replace an old, aging or dying Projector, or want to make the jump to 4K (Faux K for affordability) and are distinctly looking at these 3 models.

Both Epson 5050UB & BenQ HT5550 are priced around $3K.
JVC X790R can be had for some hundred dollars more.

We are all trying to make the right decision & purchase, so I'm hoping the experienced & owners can chime in.

My requirements are below; others are welcome to post and add theirs:

- I have a 150% Screen in a dark room. Projector sits on a shelf, 15' - 17' from the screen, directly behind the seating. We are approx 12' away. There needs to be some level of Lens Shift for flexible placement, which I believe all 3 projectors allow. Epson & JVC a little more then the BenQ.

- 4K HDR picture quality & performance is high priority, as my UHD Blu-ray collection has been increasing and there's a lot of 4K stuff now on Amazon Prime & Hulu (Both of which I subscribe to).

- 100% Movies & TV only. NO GAMING.

- 3D is very important to me. I'm coming from a 7.5 year old Epson 5010 and unfortunately 3D was a disappointment. Too much cross-talk / ghosting or whatever they call it. Subtitles in a 3D movie were unreadable. Need better 3D performance.

- I don't know much about auto tone mapping for HDR but as far as I know, only BenQ HT5550 in the above 3 projector offers it.

- JVC has the lowest lumens out of the 3 projectors but supposed to have better blacks, contrast and general build quality and components. I do believe Epson 5050UB & BenQ HT5550 have somewhat bridged this gap from the past, I don't know how much exactly though.

The bottom-line, for a lot of us, the pricing difference isn't too much. As someone else said in another thread, "We like to have the best toys, but also love a good deal/bargain"

I had a budget of $4k. I can afford either of the 3 projectors easily. At the same time, I don't want to pay "more" if I can get same or comparable for "less".

Please chime in.

Thanks.
Epson because your 150" screen.

More lumens.

There is a reason the Epsons have dominated this price range for the past ...5? years.

Their value at this price point is just hard to beat.

The JVC or BenQ will do certain things better, but IMO the Epson has provided the most well rounded package at a great value.
I must say I agree. I just love Epson. 🙂

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
blake18 is offline  
post #36 of 176 Old 04-13-2019, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mickey79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 1,295
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Wanted to update this thread.

I did some lurking and question-asking in the JVC forums and came across owners who are indeed using X790R on a 150" screen. The bottom-line undoubtedly stood out that a 4K HDR Projector with more Lumens then ones currently available will be the best choice - however - since there isn't one in the market with those specifications, the better choice still stands at JVC. The Lumens output provided by Epson in literature, which appears to be considerably more then JVC or BenQ, isn't necessarily so in real world.

Neither of the 3 projectors are going to 'Excel' at HDR & 3D on a 150" Screen, however, neither of the 3 is going to provide better/more brightness then the other. That being said, JVC does seem to output enough to project perfectly fine on a 150" screen (which was my biggest question).

Contrast, Blacks & 3D on JVC, from what I can gather, is unbeatable. Epson seems to be the close runner-up.

I really have two choices here:

1. Get the Epson 5050UB now, save the few hundreds of dollars, in a year or so invest in a true 4K HDR which has higher lumens from JVC or Sony.

2. Get the JVC X790R and call it a day.

I'm leaning towards the JVC X790R. Once I get it, set it up, try a few different movies, if I don't feel Brightness, HDR & 3D is working for my screen - return for refund. Go with Epson.

If I go with Epson first, I'll always have the lingering doubt, what if JVC had worked?

So, I think I'm pretty set here. I'm still on waiting list so the purchase is not going to happen tomorrow, but is expected towards the end of this month. If something changes my mind in the meanwhile, so be it.

Thanks.

7.1.4: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center, Klipsch R-14M Front Height & Rear Height + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
JVC NX5 True 4K HDR Projector / Denon X6300H AVR
Intel Broadwell-E 6 Core (H2O) / EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid (H2O) HTPC
LG UBK80 UHD Blu-ray / XBOX One X
mickey79 is offline  
post #37 of 176 Old 04-13-2019, 11:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nickoakdl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,096
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by microwiz View Post
1. NONE of these projectors will work for HDR and or 3D with out some serious gain on a 150 inch screen. The Epson will fail just as spectacular as the other two if the gain is 1.0

2. You really think the epson with that 250w lamp is going to be that much brighter than the JVC and it's 265w lamp? There's marketing and there is reality, my 5030 with that same lamp was not as bright as the JVC.

Motion flow on the epson and JVC were both decent, nothing stands out to me, navigating menus were the same to me.
1. I have an Epson 5040ub and it fills my 158" 2.35:1 screen very nicely with HDR. I previously had a 133" 16:9 2.4 gain High Power screen and while making the picture larger and losing gain, I was able to compensate by tweaking some settings. I prefer my larger lower gain screen, 150" will be fine.

2. You can't compare an Epson 5030 to an Epson 5050.
nickoakdl is offline  
post #38 of 176 Old 04-14-2019, 05:04 AM
Member
 
Ogrinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehknics View Post
Subscribed! I'm stuck on the same 3 projectors as well. I would be curious to hear any good deals over a PM that any of you might find =)

My only difference from OP would be a smaller screen (110" 16x9 or a slightly smaller scope screen), mainly movies and some gaming.
Same!

My dilemma is if a 5050 is $3000 and a JVC 540/790 is around 4k new/3k used, how much better black does the JVC actually have. I know diminishing returns and all, but at the price range a little more out of pocket isnt a big deal. Then there's the cheap side of me who thinks a 5040 refurb is the way to go.
Ogrinz is offline  
post #39 of 176 Old 04-14-2019, 06:16 AM
Senior Member
 
JonnyVee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Picked up a x790 after finding an amazing deal at the local dealer on Friday. I spent all day yesterday building a porthole and custom shelving unit.

My time with it was short yesterday, but step up in quality was immediate when I first turned it on. The contrast is amazing compared to my old BenQ.

Rec Room: JVC x790 w/120" Silver Ticket screen, Denon x4400H 5.1.4 with Kef Q100 L/R, Q200 centre, T101 surrounds, Ci160er rear atmos, Energy Rc-Mini - front atmos, SVS PC-2000. Family Room: LG 65B7P OLED, Denon x1500H 5.1 - Kef Q500, Q200c, Energy v-mini - surrounds. Calibration Gear: X-Rite i1Display Pro, Calman Home Enthusiast, trial & error, and a patient wife.
JonnyVee is offline  
post #40 of 176 Old 04-14-2019, 06:32 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
What about Optoma UHD60?
DestinyG is offline  
post #41 of 176 Old 04-14-2019, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
04rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London, Canada
Posts: 1,043
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyVee View Post
Picked up a x790 after finding an amazing deal at the local dealer on Friday. I spent all day yesterday building a porthole and custom shelving unit.

My time with it was short yesterday, but step up in quality was immediate when I first turned it on. The contrast is amazing compared to my old BenQ.
Which BenQ did you have and what size screen? I have a BenQ W1070 and looking to upgrade to one of these. I also have a 106” screen.

Thanks.

FAMILY ROOM - Totem Tribe II LCR, JL Audio E-112, Anthem MRX 720, Apple TV, WD HDTV, Panasonic 55" Plasma
BASEMENT THEATRE - Paradigm Studio 100 v5, 690 v5, 10x4 v5, Anthem AVM 60, Outlaw Audio 7700 & 7125, 2x JTR Captivator S2s, X-Box One X, Apple TV 4K, HTPC, JVC NX-5, 106" screen
04rex is offline  
post #42 of 176 Old 04-14-2019, 09:17 AM
Senior Member
 
JonnyVee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04rex View Post
Which BenQ did you have and what size screen? I have a BenQ W1070 and looking to upgrade to one of these. I also have a 106” screen.

Thanks.
HT2050. I really like my HT2050, but the 790 picture looks like my OLED in comparison. Night and day difference.

I have a 120” Silver Ticket white screen.

Rec Room: JVC x790 w/120" Silver Ticket screen, Denon x4400H 5.1.4 with Kef Q100 L/R, Q200 centre, T101 surrounds, Ci160er rear atmos, Energy Rc-Mini - front atmos, SVS PC-2000. Family Room: LG 65B7P OLED, Denon x1500H 5.1 - Kef Q500, Q200c, Energy v-mini - surrounds. Calibration Gear: X-Rite i1Display Pro, Calman Home Enthusiast, trial & error, and a patient wife.
JonnyVee is offline  
post #43 of 176 Old 04-14-2019, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
plain fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Okc, OK
Posts: 1,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Thanks for creating this thread as well. I've been circling and lurking in these forums as well, with the same mindset and projector options. My screen is 110" and I've been using an older Sony 1080p projector but have been dismayed that the entry level 4k Sony PJ does not include a DI. Some of the members that have posted have been kind enough to give me their personal experiences with their units.

I would think that using a "smaller" screen compared, to some members in the thread, would actually be a benefit when it came to lumens and HDR.

Grady
<<plain fan>>
plain fan is offline  
post #44 of 176 Old 04-14-2019, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 1,126
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 332
I think the UHZ65 needs to be in the mix as well, given the prices involved.
DunMunro is offline  
post #45 of 176 Old 04-14-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,309
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinyG View Post
What about Optoma UHD60?

I have the UHD60, and while it's a great budget faux 4k projector and I am pretty happy with it overall, I don't think it is quite to the level of the three projectors listed in this thread.
m0j0 is offline  
post #46 of 176 Old 04-14-2019, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ericglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Just below the US in South Florida
Posts: 11,575
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked: 1904
It should be noted that lumens is a personal decision. Some people are more than satisfied on the lower end of the scale. CRT owners were routinely in the single digits of ft/lmbs and happy with it. I recall Kris Deering telling me that he likes to be in the mid-teens, which was the reference. Still others like Art prefer to look directly into the sun. Decide what level you like and that will simplify the decision on which projector/screen size can accommodate your wishes.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
Ericglo is online now  
post #47 of 176 Old 04-15-2019, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mickey79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 1,295
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrinz View Post
Same!

My dilemma is if a 5050 is $3000 and a JVC 540/790 is around 4k new/3k used, how much better black does the JVC actually have. I know diminishing returns and all, but at the price range a little more out of pocket isnt a big deal. Then there's the cheap side of me who thinks a 5040 refurb is the way to go.
You need to not look at Online Retailers for pricing on X790r. The pricing between new 5050 & new X790r is much closer then you think. Please call AVS Sponsors or Local Authorized Dealers. Do not look at BestBuy type of stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyVee View Post
Picked up a x790 after finding an amazing deal at the local dealer on Friday. I spent all day yesterday building a porthole and custom shelving unit.

My time with it was short yesterday, but step up in quality was immediate when I first turned it on. The contrast is amazing compared to my old BenQ.
Way to go! It's exactly what I have decided to do. Just going for an X790r at this point after all the deliberations. If it doesn't work out, will return.

7.1.4: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center, Klipsch R-14M Front Height & Rear Height + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
JVC NX5 True 4K HDR Projector / Denon X6300H AVR
Intel Broadwell-E 6 Core (H2O) / EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid (H2O) HTPC
LG UBK80 UHD Blu-ray / XBOX One X
mickey79 is offline  
post #48 of 176 Old 04-15-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 8,116
Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3680 Post(s)
Liked: 2891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
It should be noted that lumens is a personal decision. Some people are more than satisfied on the lower end of the scale. CRT owners were routinely in the single digits of ft/lmbs and happy with it. I recall Kris Deering telling me that he likes to be in the mid-teens, which was the reference. Still others like Art prefer to look directly into the sun. Decide what level you like and that will simplify the decision on which projector/screen size can accommodate your wishes.
It depends on whether someone is trying to replicate the commercial movie theater brightness experience or the home TV brightness experience. Early video projectors were so dim that they could only achieve the former and not the latter. With ever increasing lumens available the option of using a projector as a TV replacement has become more common.
Dave in Green is online now  
post #49 of 176 Old 04-15-2019, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JackB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 3,739
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrinz View Post
Same!

My dilemma is if a 5050 is $3000 and a JVC 540/790 is around 4k new/3k used, how much better black does the JVC actually have. I know diminishing returns and all, but at the price range a little more out of pocket isnt a big deal. Then there's the cheap side of me who thinks a 5040 refurb is the way to go.
To me it is all about reliability and cost of the replacement bulb. I haven't read the 790 owner's thread so I wonder about its reliability. I know the bulb runs at least twice the price of the Epson.

The 5040 had a bad power supply. Were there any other reliability issues? I'm sure the power supply issue has been fixed for the new projector.

I've read good things about the JVC's 5th generation pixel shift and we know the contrast is great. Are there any other issues?

Answers to those questions should make the decision easier.

Jack
JackB is online now  
post #50 of 176 Old 04-15-2019, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
Luminated67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 963
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
To me it is all about reliability and cost of the replacement bulb. I haven't read the 790 owner's thread so I wonder about its reliability. I know the bulb runs at least twice the price of the Epson.

The 5040 had a bad power supply. Were there any other reliability issues? I'm sure the power supply issue has been fixed for the new projector.

I've read good things about the JVC's 5th generation pixel shift and we know the contrast is great. Are there any other issues?

Answers to those questions should make the decision easier.
According to some the 5th Gen e-shift is better than Epson’s, I don’t doubt it’s better but I do question whether you will be noticed at normal viewing distances, I compared my Epson against a Native 4K Sony 270 and from 10.5ft on a 100” screen I could barely see any difference so between similar resolution e-shift systems you’ll have less of a chance of noticing any difference.

There has been a few Epson’s that have had issues with their bulbs that cause a warning light turning off the projector my own included but this was sorted very quickly (2 day turn around). So my opinion of Epson’s customer service is probably the best I’ve seen.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
Luminated67 is online now  
post #51 of 176 Old 04-15-2019, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JackB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 3,739
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
According to some the 5th Gen e-shift is better than Epson’s, I don’t doubt it’s better but I do question whether you will be noticed at normal viewing distances, I compared my Epson against a Native 4K Sony 270 and from 10.5ft on a 100” screen I could barely see any difference so between similar resolution e-shift systems you’ll have less of a chance of noticing any difference.

There has been a few Epson’s that have had issues with their bulbs that cause a warning light turning off the projector my own included but this was sorted very quickly (2 day turn around). So my opinion of Epson’s customer service is probably the best I’ve seen.
I have read many times of the high quality of Epson's service. Is their service who you use through the warranty period?

Jack
JackB is online now  
post #52 of 176 Old 04-15-2019, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
CallingMrBenzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Norther Va
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 1089
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey79 View Post
You need to not look at Online Retailers for pricing on X790r. The pricing between new 5050 & new X790r is much closer then you think. Please call AVS Sponsors or Local Authorized Dealers. Do not look at BestBuy type of stores.



Way to go! It's exactly what I have decided to do. Just going for an X790r at this point after all the deliberations. If it doesn't work out, will return.
Welp, I ordered the Epson with my thinking that the JVC was $1000 more, of course I was inquiring through Best Buy who was unable to source one for me. The way I looked at it was save $1000 be happy coming from my Epson 3700 and 3 years from now the market will have tons of True 4k / 8k pixel shifting options.

I wish I had inquired with others if the cost truly was much less. I hope you end up loving whatever you end up with. The Benq not having automatic lens with memory and worse blacks was a no go for me. I wish it had both of those options but than we would be talking a perfect projector almost in that price range. Great detail, auto tone mapping, 100% P3 color and then blacks and lens memory?

All are great options, my 5050UB should be here here tomorrow.

Marantz 7011- Panasonic UB-820- Xbox One X - Epson HC 5050UB *Calibrated by ChadB* - Elite Screen's 2:35:1 AT 115' - PSA MTM 110's L/C/R - Mixed Surrounds - SVS Elevations Atmos X2 - Dual PSA VT36 B&C Neo's *MiniDSP HD* Took the Red Pill BEQ
CallingMrBenzo is online now  
post #53 of 176 Old 04-15-2019, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
Luminated67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 963
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
I have read many times of the high quality of Epson's service. Is their service who you use through the warranty period?
My Projector was only 33 days old when the issue happened, over here the early ones were offered with a 5 year warranty .

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
Luminated67 is online now  
post #54 of 176 Old 04-15-2019, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ericglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Just below the US in South Florida
Posts: 11,575
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked: 1904
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey79 View Post
You need to not look at Online Retailers for pricing on X790r. The pricing between new 5050 & new X790r is much closer then you think. Please call AVS Sponsors or Local Authorized Dealers. Do not look at BestBuy type of stores.

There are some great deals to be had. I just noticed that avscience has a Sony 285 true 4k for less than 5050. They usually have some b-stock JVCs that can be had for a great price. Just ask Craig Peer or Mike Garrett.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
It depends on whether someone is trying to replicate the commercial movie theater brightness experience or the home TV brightness experience. Early video projectors were so dim that they could only achieve the former and not the latter. With ever increasing lumens available the option of using a projector as a TV replacement has become more common.
You are correct, but in the context of a home theater my point is valid. Even in a living room, I have seen owners dial back the brightness. Personally, I am closer to Art and like more lumens. That may be from living in South Florida.

One thing I will add is that lumens and contrast ratio may be inter related. I recall the Barco demo at Cedia a couple of years ago. It had some insane amount of lumens (20k ?), but it never looked like it was enough. The contrast ratio was so bad that I and others felt like the image was washed out. IIRC my friend Darinp thought it was 1k to 1 or less. I know I had the ft/lmbs cranked on my plasma, but reduced them when I purchased my OLED.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
Ericglo is online now  
post #55 of 176 Old 04-15-2019, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Dennis.Mitchell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: N Massapequa, NY USA
Posts: 302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Getting the infamous blacks from a RS-540 (discontinued but available) in lieu of a 5050 sounds great. I just wonder how the comparative HDR experience is. It would seem the extra lumens of the Epson would help that HDR to pop. Hope to read of a comparison soon.

Dennis
Dennis.Mitchell is offline  
post #56 of 176 Old 04-15-2019, 04:46 PM
Senior Member
 
IBJamon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lake Villa, IL
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have previously owned various models of Epson, BenQ, and Panasonic. But this last time it was time to upgrade, I swung 'big' and went with a JVC RS420.

It is, by far, the best picture I have ever seen (excluding OLEDs I suppose, but they are also not 125"). In my completely light-controlled basement, it is plenty bright, even on ECO mode. And when it gets dark, it's like absolutely nothing else. You can't even see your hands in front of you. Black scenes shut the room down entirely. HDR has room for improvement, but is plenty enjoyable.

Believe the hype. JVC is the real deal.

Input lag is fantastic, colors, contrast is unreal, and so on. I really can't recommend them enough.

Budget permitting, I doubt I will buy anything else ever again.

Spoiler!
IBJamon is offline  
post #57 of 176 Old 04-15-2019, 08:05 PM
Member
 
mactoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Wow we are all considering the same projectors. I’ll throw this out there to ponder. I have not been on an Epson thread in a long time but own an old Epson6010. I have been looking at the JVC 790 for about a year and have been on that thread quite a bit. There are many complaints about noisey E-shift on the JVC. Seems to vary quit a bit. I would hate to get a noisey one and have issues returning it for replacement this close to the end of production. Have any Epson’s suffered from noisey shifting? May well be the deciding factor for me. I also had a good customer service experience when my Epson failed early in its first year. The replacement has been solid until just recently.
mactoast is offline  
post #58 of 176 Old 04-16-2019, 04:29 PM
Member
 
Mike Johnson 3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactoast View Post
Wow we are all considering the same projectors. I’ll throw this out there to ponder. I have not been on an Epson thread in a long time but own an old Epson6010. I have been looking at the JVC 790 for about a year and have been on that thread quite a bit. There are many complaints about noisey E-shift on the JVC. Seems to vary quit a bit. I would hate to get a noisey one and have issues returning it for replacement this close to the end of production. Have any Epson’s suffered from noisey shifting? May well be the deciding factor for me. I also had a good customer service experience when my Epson failed early in its first year. The replacement has been solid until just recently.
My 5040ube was whiny, yet my JVC 790/540 is pleasantly quiet. I certainly wouldn't holdout on a projector of this caliber in fear of getting a rare noisy one.

Sony 75" Z9D, 75" 900E, 65" 850C, 800E, Panny 4K, Plasma, dozens more...
JVC RS540u & 110" ALR Screen (previous: Epson 5040UBe)
(Previous sets: 65" 930E, 940D, LG 65" C7, 65" 900E, various Samsungs, etc...)
speakers: Dynaudio M1's, M3A's, BM15A's, NS10's, dozens of Bryston amps
Mike Johnson 3 is offline  
post #59 of 176 Old 04-16-2019, 09:02 PM
Member
 
Ogrinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Thanks for all the recommendations. I'm definitely leaning towards the JVC now as at the end of the day I think contrast ratio is going to have the largest perceived impact.
Mike Johnson 3 likes this.
Ogrinz is offline  
post #60 of 176 Old 04-16-2019, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ericglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Just below the US in South Florida
Posts: 11,575
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked: 1904
FYI, my buddy John Schuermann is having a get together in Colorado Springs next weekend. They will have JVC and Sony 4k pjs there calibrated by Kris Deering. It should be a good event that will be educational even if you aren't in the market for the pjs in attendance. Picking the brains of Kris, Craig Rounds (another excellent calibrator) and others is beneficial.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
Ericglo is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off