Optoma UHD60 white images pixelated and purple - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Justincharlesward
  • 1 Post By Wesley Hester

post #1 of 12 Old 04-13-2019, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Optoma UHD60 white images pixelated and purple

I noticed on a variety of settings included HDR white images especially clouds are pixelated and purple. Seems like an issue with the processor — what would cause this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-14-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justincharlesward View Post
I noticed on a variety of settings included HDR white images especially clouds are pixelated and purple. Seems like an issue with the processor — what would cause this?
This is a known issue with the UHD60. I'll post back with some info and links soon.

It can be mitigated.

Display: Optoma UHD51A Projector > Elite Screens R135WH1 ezFrame | 7.2.4 Audio: Onkyo TX-RZ920 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver, M-5010 2ch Amplifier; Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 1000(x10), SuperCube I & 4000 | Sources: PC, DirecTV, Apple 4K, Fire Stick 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Chromecast & Roku Ultras, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro & Nintendo Switch | Remote: Harmony Elite | HDMI: 40' Monoprice DynamicView+4x1 Switch
post #3 of 12 Old 04-14-2019, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

That would be awesome. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-14-2019, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sorry, I was grilling out earlier.

The main contributors to the "purple haze" are BrilliantColor and Dynamic Black.

I recorded the settings of my UHD60 before switching to the UHD51A for 3D.

The UHD60 has color in spades so don't worry too much about lowering color settings. In fact, over color processing adding too much color is the reason I think the issue happens in the first place.

For me, BrilliantColor was the main cause of the purple haze. I loved it at 10 but had to bring it down to 2 to eliminate the issue completely.

Here is a link to a YouTube video of me switching BrilliantColor back and forth between 2 and 3 over and over again. It's The Matrix Reloaded with Agent Smith looking through the slot in a door with car lights behind his head.

I was able to keep Dynamic Black on with the following settings but others said they had to turn it off. If you don't bring BrilliantColor down you will have to turn Dynamic Black off regardless.

Brightness: 0
Contrast: 0
Sharpness: 8
Color: 0
Tint: 0
Gamma: 2.0
BrilliantColor: 2
Color Temperature: D65
Color Gamut: Cinema
RGB Gain/Bias: n/a
Color Space: Auto
UltraDetail: Off
Dynamic Black: On

I spent WAY TO MUCH time adjusting the image of the UHD60 than I did enjoying it. The UHD51A doesn't have the purple haze. It will display a similar issue if the Color is set too high (happened when my SDR's Color setting of +19 or so was applied to a HDR signal expecting -19: projector quirk).

The settings above don't address the blown out whites with very bright images/scenes. I just didn't get to it before getting the UHD51A.

Display: Optoma UHD51A Projector > Elite Screens R135WH1 ezFrame | 7.2.4 Audio: Onkyo TX-RZ920 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver, M-5010 2ch Amplifier; Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 1000(x10), SuperCube I & 4000 | Sources: PC, DirecTV, Apple 4K, Fire Stick 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Chromecast & Roku Ultras, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro & Nintendo Switch | Remote: Harmony Elite | HDMI: 40' Monoprice DynamicView+4x1 Switch

Last edited by Wesley Hester; 04-14-2019 at 04:34 PM.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-16-2019, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Wow it worked. Greatly appreciated. I was ready to return the projector. Settings were perfect. Purple haze was driving me nuts. Your post was very detailed and clear. Excellent work. A+ for all of your hard work.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-16-2019, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Wow it worked. Greatly appreciated. I was ready to return the projector. Settings were perfect. Purple haze was driving me nuts. Your post was very detailed and clear. Excellent work. A+ for all of your hard work.

You might want to experiment with some different settings until you find what works best for you. Here's some settings I am using with my Nvidia Shield, which I mostly watch 4k mkv files with. I have another set of settings I use for my Panasonic 820 4k blu ray player.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post57775204
post #7 of 12 Old 04-16-2019, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I will play with the settings. It’s good to have a good base where there is no purple haze. The best is 4k you tube videos on Xbox 1. Amazing. Netflix UHD and prime are ok.
m0j0 likes this.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-17-2019, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Glad to here it saved you some time and return headaches. I too was about to return it if it wasn't for the AVS Forums.

m0j0 is right, you can freely adjust most other settings to your liking to get the best picture for your eyes and input sources. Just don't set BrilliantColor above 2 or set Color too high. Of course you can adjust them a little higher but just know in some cases the purple haze will reappear.

P.S. Nothing really beats those handful of YouTube 4K HDR demo videos no matter how compressed they may be.
m0j0 likes this.

post #9 of 12 Old 05-20-2019, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post
Quote:

Glad to here it saved you some time and return headaches. I too was about to return it if it wasn't for the AVS Forums.

m0j0 is right, you can freely adjust most other settings to your liking to get the best picture for your eyes and input sources. Just don't set BrilliantColor above 2 or set Color too high. Of course you can adjust them a little higher but just know in some cases the purple haze will reappear.

P.S. Nothing really beats those handful of YouTube 4K HDR demo videos no matter how compressed they may be.
For some reason I can use the SDR to HDR setting. It disappeared. Should be an option menu display dynamic range (auto or off). Manual says I should be able to select a button to convert sdr to hdr

Thoughts? Thank You
post #10 of 12 Old 05-20-2019, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post
Quote:

I am watching Amazon Prime and the movie is in 4k UHD and it would not allow me to choose HDR for settings.

Shouldn’t we be able to watch on a HDR?

Thank you.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-20-2019, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What source device is being used?

post #12 of 12 Old 06-07-2019, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
The biggest source of banding, haze and white blow out for me was Brilliant colour.

But, I was trying to adjust this while the whole time the Apple TV was frame matching content. The ATV raises the signal chroma to 422 12-bit with 24/30 FPS content, and the UHD60 does not process this correctly. Just doesn't, if you lock the refresh rate at 60Hz and let the frames divide then the chroma/colour stays at 420/10bit which is fine, none of the blow out, banding pixelation occurs with the exception of Brilliant colour.

So check you streaming boxes output settings to make sure its not upping the bandwidth on lower frame rate content, this will undermine all you hard work.

I also find the Cinema Pre-set is better in both SDR and HDR content, HDR is too blown out. Default settings are nearly best too, just tweak Brilliant colour, colour, and bright/cont. +/-2 to your liking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page