Should I buy a 65" OLED TV or a Home Theatre Projector? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #1 of 48 Old 04-14-2019, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Should I buy a 65" OLED TV or a Home Theatre Projector?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 04-14-2019, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked: 488
No one can answer that question without a lot more details. In a nut shell with projectors you need to control the ambient light to some extent as they are designed to work in the dark. TV's work well in brighter rooms and aside from picture size excel in PQ in ever respect but size does matter and is a big part of the equation.
srkmish likes this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 48 Old 04-15-2019, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Go for a projector, if you prefer watching movies in dark room, have more than 5 feet view distance.
Go for OLED if you want use in daylight, have small room with less than 8 feet view distance.
srkmish likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 Old 04-15-2019, 01:39 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
To many variables to say for sure, but I had the same question a few months ago for the upstairs theater room. Ultimately, while OLED is amazing, the size I would want is so cost prohibitive only a projector makes sense.
ng4ever and srkmish like this.
post #5 of 48 Old 04-15-2019, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 24
As others have listed we need more details about your room. How big is your room? Will you be using this tv in the day with ambient light? Is there an ability to control the light in the room. How far do you sit from the display? How much space do you have for a screen if you did have one?

Personally I will always choose my projector setup. I love the immersion that it brings over 100% picture quality.

I have a 100% dedicated room for it. However, if you have the ability to control the light. I still think a projector is a solid choice. However, if you have bright light in the room an OLED is fine. If you have an over the top bright room like my living room (8 giant windows) and zero light conrol(on purpose). Then i would go with the new samsung Qled 9 series for the glare reduction.
post #6 of 48 Old 04-15-2019, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinyG View Post
If you're going to have only one, hands down, go for the 65" OLED. It will be more usable on a day to day basis and offer better picture quality than any projector and screen of comparable price.

It will offer a superior 4K picture and true HDR with UHD Bluray as well. There is no under $3000 projector that can do this.

Last edited by b curry; 04-15-2019 at 06:38 AM.
post #7 of 48 Old 04-15-2019, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2015 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Should I eat an apple or an orange today?

Asking that question in a nutrition forum would be about the same thing. They are both round fruit and good for you. They are as different as day and night also.

A projector is to a pipe wrench as a flat panel tv is to a hammer. Two different tools for two different jobs.

A projector is the proper tool to achieve a movie like experience. A TV is the proper tool for a TV like experience. Just like a hammer and a wrench share some common ground if you need something to break a window with, projectors and TVs share a little common ground. This common ground should not be the deciding factor in the selection process. You should decide on the intended purpose of the tool and then make everything else fit that selection.
ng4ever, Dave in Green and srkmish like this.

Bud
post #8 of 48 Old 04-15-2019, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Send a message via AIM to Bahn Yuki Send a message via MSN to Bahn Yuki Send a message via Yahoo to Bahn Yuki
As an owner of both the projector is really a large endeavor to take. The oled is a lot easier to set up and more versatile.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
ng4ever likes this.

JVC RS400, Denon X6300H, Klipsch RP-280F x 2, RP-450C, RB-51 II x 2, RS-42 II x 2, RB-41 II x 2, R-150M in 7.1.4, 150" Silver Ticket
LG 65C7, Denon X4300H, Klipsch RF-26 x 2, RC-52 II, Onkyo speakers in 5.1.4 setup
TCL 55P605, Klipsch 2.1 Certified THX speakers
Sony 34XBR960 x 2
post #9 of 48 Old 04-15-2019, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 83
cute Sublime ad

XGimi CC, XGimi Z6, UKCSIS, Vmai M200 Pico
Xbox One S, LG SH4
post #10 of 48 Old 04-15-2019, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 376
buy a home theater projector if your viewing distance is more than 8-9 feet and you have a dedicated room. Native 4k resolution projectors with hdr10 support will still cost you quite a bit more than oled tv from a budget perspective.
post #11 of 48 Old 04-20-2019, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 60
As a matter of fact... the other day buddy came over for a beer, mentioned he just got 65" OLED and how amazing picture is.... I tell him to hold my beer and turned on the laser UST projector at 135"... he was blown away by the size and image and couldn't believe this was just a 1080p projector.... probably already shopping for one.
srkmish likes this.

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #12 of 48 Old 04-21-2019, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3578 Post(s)
Liked: 2767
The only advantage the projector will have is image size. In every other area an OLED TV will blow the projector away. Some are so wowed by the image size that they tend to overstate image quality. Those who value quality over quantity will not be satisfied by size alone. It's something you need to see with your own eyes and not rely on the opinions of others who can have vastly different personal preferences.
post #13 of 48 Old 04-21-2019, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you are the type of person who would rather admire image quality then a content go with OLED, just don't forget to sit 3x closer to see all of that with 65" TV. The reality though laser UST projector with ALR screen can get you such an amazing picture then you would think it's close enough as even OLED.

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #14 of 48 Old 04-22-2019, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post
As a matter of fact... the other day buddy came over for a beer, mentioned he just got 65" OLED and how amazing picture is.... I tell him to hold my beer and turned on the laser UST projector at 135"... he was blown away by the size and image and couldn't believe this was just a 1080p projector.... probably already shopping for one.
So true man. Another poster had mentioned a quote in one of the other threads "People who are appreciating the infinite contrast of an OLED tv from 9 feet are basically appreciating the contrast of a postcard". Rings true. I am underwhelmed with 65 inches and looking to get the Mijia 4k projector.
post #15 of 48 Old 04-23-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
The only advantage the projector will have is image size. In every other area an OLED TV will blow the projector away. Some are so wowed by the image size that they tend to overstate image quality. Those who value quality over quantity will not be satisfied by size alone. It's something you need to see with your own eyes and not rely on the opinions of others who can have vastly different personal preferences.
I wont disagree with the above statement because by all conventional measurements it is correct an OLED TV will blow away any projector. They are two very different methods of producing an image and have basically zero in common except they try and display the same image, and of course at this time projectors still have an advantage with producing a larger image or if the flat panel would try and compete with size then projectors have a huge price advantage at this time. In the future I see a time when flat light emitting screens will be price competitive with projectors on a screen size as large as anyone would want at home. Who knows maybe even the size for commercial theaters or even an IMAX theater?

They can be dimmed down and play in a pitch-black room even.

But, there is something different and unique about a projected image that I don’t think will be replicated or can be replicated with a device that produced light at its screen surface.

Now the question is do people like that projector-like quality or what I call film-like quality? I don’t know. I know I personally do when all things come together in a projected image. We used to talk a lot about a screen quality I always called the open window effect where the screen surface vanishes and you are left watching near reality thru an open window. I have seen huge OLED TV’s and sat very immersive and as beautiful and captivating as the image is, I have always been aware it was just an image so many feet away from my face. I have never felt like if I ran and jumped I could pass thru the screen into what I was watching and I have with proper dark room projection. With IMAX immersion now being possible at home it isn’t even a window anymore. Being able to view 4k at immersion levels of 1.0-1.5 times the screen height the image almost totally fills our vision. Again I can replicate that immersion with OLED but not the open window.

So for those of us that enjoy this and other aspects of film-like presentation with front projection we consider this an advantage.
srkmish likes this.

Bud
post #16 of 48 Old 04-24-2019, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I was in the same predicament a few weeks ago with remodeling my basement and being able to do it the right way for a theater room. My initial plan going into it was to use the $2K to get an OLED or comparable tv for the wall. I installed additional bracing into the concrete wall between studs where it was going to go so I wan't at the mercy of stud locations. I ran HDMI cables and power to the wall, etc., etc. Then I got to see a projector done right (light control room, great sound, Oppo player) by a buddy of mine. I quickly ran HDMI to the ceiling and an extension cord for power and have not thought twice about getting a tv for this room. If it was my living room or room where I watch tv for 30 minutes to an hour each night, I would definitely get an OLED. But in this theater room where I will sit back and relax to a movie or football game, there is nothing quite like being immersed in the scene.
post #17 of 48 Old 04-24-2019, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3578 Post(s)
Liked: 2767
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
… But, there is something different and unique about a projected image that I don’t think will be replicated or can be replicated with a device that produced light at its screen surface. ...
I agree that a projected image can have at least a slightly different character from an emissive or backlit TV image. Most of the objects we see in the real world are the result of the objects reflecting light from the sun or artificial lighting to our eyes. A projection screen comes closer to this reality than a TV in the sense that the screen surface is reflecting the image light to our eyes similar to the way real world objects do. Some might characterize the projected image as having a more natural look and the TV having a more artificial look.

But there are lots of variables and we all see things a little differently, so we can have different personal preferences for the look we want to see when viewing various video images. For example I personally prefer viewing some content on my plasma and some on my larger projection screen. That's why I would never want to be without both a quality TV and a quality projector.
post #18 of 48 Old 04-24-2019, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked: 1151
Seriously - It's been 10 days and the OP hasn't bothered to respond.

I'm thinking their question must not really be that important if they can't answer some of the basic questions which were asked of them.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #19 of 48 Old 04-24-2019, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Seriously - It's been 10 days and the OP hasn't bothered to respond.

I'm thinking their question must not really be that important if they can't answer some of the basic questions which were asked of them.
Can't you see it? It's another bot/spam/AI/whatever... Same as ng4ever user.

post #20 of 48 Old 04-24-2019, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4637 Post(s)
Liked: 2942
Quote:
One advantage of a projector, assuming it's a 4K projector, is the ability to see more detail than the small 65" TV. 4K pixels are so small you cannot appreciate all the benefits of 4K resolution unless you're sitting about 3-4 feet away. On a projector you can see more detail since the image is blown up. Projector cannot match OLED or even come close on HDR, brightness, contrast, etc. So it really is as you say, but its more than just size its also benefit of using that size to see more detail which can also improve perceived picture.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #21 of 48 Old 04-24-2019, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post
Can't you see it? It's another bot/spam/AI/whatever... Same as ng4ever user.
that link is a dead giveaway

XGimi CC, XGimi Z6, UKCSIS, Vmai M200 Pico
Xbox One S, LG SH4
post #22 of 48 Old 04-24-2019, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I agree that a projected image can have at least a slightly different character from an emissive or backlit TV image. Most of the objects we see in the real world are the result of the objects reflecting light from the sun or artificial lighting to our eyes. A projection screen comes closer to this reality than a TV in the sense that the screen surface is reflecting the image light to our eyes similar to the way real world objects do. Some might characterize the projected image as having a more natural look and the TV having a more artificial look.

But there are lots of variables and we all see things a little differently, so we can have different personal preferences for the look we want to see when viewing various video images. For example I personally prefer viewing some content on my plasma and some on my larger projection screen. That's why I would never want to be without both a quality TV and a quality projector.
What a great description of the difference Dave. Yes real life is totally made up of mostly us looking at objects that basically absorb part of the spectrum and reflect the rest thus producing colors and the physical shape and texture and sheen and the direction of the light coming to the object and even the color of that light all create reality. All that light is reflections. Fire and lights and sunsets we see as producing light in our images we watch. Thus the strong suit for HDR right now.

I don’t really care much if a thread like this is started by a bot or someone sneaking in a plug for a web site as no one pays any attention to that, but sometimes these threads sprout exchange of ideas and that’s great.
Dave in Green likes this.

Bud
post #23 of 48 Old 04-25-2019, 01:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Am I the only one who gets p155ed off when the OP starts a thread with a question and then doesn't return to it, like seriously 11 days and no comments to additional info request.
Erebus1954 likes this.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Radiator)
post #24 of 48 Old 04-25-2019, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
Am I the only one who gets p155ed off when the OP starts a thread with a question and then doesn't return to it, like seriously 11 days and no comments to additional info request.
If I got PO-ed at every time I saw this I would be PO-ed several times a day everyday. It is hard to figure out what is in peoples minds that post on forums even when they are real some seem to be semi-real. Another erratic poster mentioned above has given me likes even. That at least would be a programmed bot.

This poster started this same thread in another forum (flat displays) so it would seem he or she or it was looking for the different opinion based around the forum it was posted in.

I always think of these forums as speaking to the >95% or more people reading that never post. We all know the regulars and after being here a few years know the regulars opinions on most issues. These thread topics repeat so if it is just the small group of regulars we are preaching to the choir.

In general this thread became interesting to me with no help from the OP. Sometimes we help the OP solve a question they have and sometimes we just chat with old friends.
ibrewmination likes this.

Bud
post #25 of 48 Old 04-25-2019, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
Funny you should mention that, as I responded to one of your threads well over a week ago inquiring about your QualGear screen, and have yet to receive a reply from you.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc...me-screen.html

But yes, you're not the only one who gets aggravated by this sort of thing.
dianebrat and ibrewmination like this.
post #26 of 48 Old 04-25-2019, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1539 Post(s)
Liked: 859
So basically its size vs image quality (as projectors wont match HDR, black levels or brightness), right?

There are also so many additional factors with projectors - e.g. the screen, which can end up costing a lot and there still isn't a consensus on whats best. With tv's its really very simple - you buy it and done. OLED is the best image quality, many top end LCD's come close.
post #27 of 48 Old 04-25-2019, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Ok, I'll make it a little harder: 85" LCD like a Sony or Samsung VS 110" 2.40:1 screen with a projector? I think that's a tougher choice than the one the OP asked.
post #28 of 48 Old 04-25-2019, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
So basically its size vs image quality (as projectors wont match HDR, black levels or brightness), right?

There are also so many additional factors with projectors - e.g. the screen, which can end up costing a lot and there still isn't a consensus on whats best. With tv's its really very simple - you buy it and done. OLED is the best image quality, many top end LCD's come close.
I think you are basically correct.

Simple is more than anything else the advantage of a flat panel TV. You buy it plug it in and away you go. If you want better sound you go buy a sound bar and sit it under it and you are done.

Projection is mostly a hobby. There are lots of complexities to it and the outcome when done correctly is pretty impressive.

The easiest way to explain projection is to advise someone to go to a really good local cinema and watch a new release blockbuster. That quality and then some can be reproduced at home fairly easily if you have a room to dedicate to a home theater.

For me there is no comparison between watching a blockbuster movie in my simple home theater and watching it on a flat panel TV in a living room setting. I only have 1080p projector $500 a BD player $75 a old 5.1 AVR $0 DIY Speakers I have about $500 in and a DIY painted screen wall $25. The technical aspect of PQ is just part of the experience. Big sound is half of it and big sound without a big image doesn’t work for me.

Most normal people once they get into the movie experience don’t know if it’s 1080p or 4k. They don’t know if it’s HDR or SDR or 95% REC709 or 100%.

Once you feel and see it for yourself there is no going the other direction IMO.
m0j0 likes this.

Bud
post #29 of 48 Old 04-25-2019, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1539 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
I think you are basically correct.

Simple is more than anything else the advantage of a flat panel TV. You buy it plug it in and away you go. If you want better sound you go buy a sound bar and sit it under it and you are done.

Projection is mostly a hobby. There are lots of complexities to it and the outcome when done correctly is pretty impressive.

The easiest way to explain projection is to advise someone to go to a really good local cinema and watch a new release blockbuster. That quality and then some can be reproduced at home fairly easily if you have a room to dedicate to a home theater.

For me there is no comparison between watching a blockbuster movie in my simple home theater and watching it on a flat panel TV in a living room setting. I only have 1080p projector $500 a BD player $75 a old 5.1 AVR $0 DIY Speakers I have about $500 in and a DIY painted screen wall $25. The technical aspect of PQ is just part of the experience. Big sound is half of it and big sound without a big image doesn’t work for me.

Most normal people once they get into the movie experience don’t know if it’s 1080p or 4k. They don’t know if it’s HDR or SDR or 95% REC709 or 100%.

Once you feel and see it for yourself there is no going the other direction IMO.
My concern is everyone says that the real benefit of the newer tv's is not 4k (which you have to be really close to see) but HDR. And HDR is not present in projectors. In fact I doubt a projector will even match the color/brightness of my Sony Triluminos 1080p tv.

I live in an apartment. So I don't have a dedicated HT room. I want to upgrade from my 65" tv and see the benefits of 4K/HDR and also get a more movie theater experience, i.e. bigger screen, but that gets very expensive with tv's. But it seems like projector will not give any of these benefits except size.
post #30 of 48 Old 04-25-2019, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post
Funny you should mention that, as I responded to one of your threads well over a week ago inquiring about your QualGear screen, and have yet to receive a reply from you.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc...me-screen.html

But yes, you're not the only one who gets aggravated by this sort of thing.
LOL that thread was months and months old, which you only answered to last week. Slightly different to starting a thread and not contributing to.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Radiator)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page