AVS Forum banner

White projector, black room

3K views 37 replies 12 participants last post by  squigly1 
#1 ·
Sorry in advance if this is posted in the wrong forum. I have an Epson 6020UB that likely needs to be replaced . Looks like it will need a new optical block, engine, ow whatever it is called as one of the LCD panels is messed up. It will likely be cheaper to get a new projector (warranty, newer features,etc). So, looking into a new projector and wondering what it would be like having a white projector (6020 is black and fits the dark room decor nicely)? I'm often sitting in a chair watching TV where i'm actually behind the ceiling mounted projector so it is in my periphery but blends in nicely. Other seats in the room are basically inline with the projector so they would have much less periphery issues with a white projector.

Does anyone have a dark to black room, ceiling mounted white projector in their periphery and find it distracting, etc?

Thanks

#2 ·
Or just replace your projector with a black projector. Epson 6040/6050 would be a logical upgrade but of course JVC would be my choice as they are all black but understandable might be out of budget. I think the Epson 4040/4050 is also black but might be a down grade in contrast. All the white 4K DLP models would have worse contrast and most likely would need to be moved as they have limited lens shift.

#4 ·
I don’t know how distracting a white projector would be. You can try taping some white copy paper to yours and see what you think.

I have black ceiling and black projector and have never figured out why any HT projector is anything but black. Business projectors, gaming projectors and even media room projectors I can see someone wanting white I guess. Why they make HT projectors white is beyond me.

There have been a few threads about painting a projector black so I assume it is distracting to some.
:)

#7 · (Edited)
Tried the white paper taped to projector. Ugh! See the pictures (excuse the crappy camera). Maybe i could get used to it to were eventually I won't notice it so much. I priced out the Optical engine and it's like $3k Canadian, and then the labour to replace the bad one. I could get an Epson refub 6030 for like 2K or an Epson refurb 5030 for like 1.2K. Wish I could find a refurb 6040 up here.

Attachments

#12 ·
A hush box is another option and if the projector is located there in your vision there may be an additional advantage to knocking down some of the fan noise. Just keep in mind the projector needs adequate room to breath.

#15 ·
Hush boxes require very specific designs in order to provide adequate air flow for cooling. Some hush box designs even include their own fans to ensure proper air flow. Any hush box that in any way limits the flow of cooling air will likely lead to projector overheating and possible failure.

#16 ·
Not thinking of a real hush box that's fully enclosed and really built to keep things quiet. I'm thinking more of a box with an open front where the lens and openings are, with sides and back that can be open to access lamp, plugs, cables, etc. How much extra space do I need. My measurements in a previous post did leave a few extra inches. Here are pics of a white 5040. Isn't the front the area that needs the air flow?

Attachments

#17 ·
Yes the air intake and filter is on one side in the front and the exhaust the other side. I would think having the front of the box 100% open as well as the back would help with sound and block any view of the projectors white exterior. Epson says the projector can be set on a table so there is no question the bottom needs no venting and all they say is do not place it where vents are blocked. It also has over temp protection .

I don’t know for certain but I would think the dimensions you mentioned would work.

A box like this could even have openings made into the sides if needed.

In the past I had one rather hot projector mounted pretty close to the ceiling and hot air would pool around it. I added a small computer fan (very quiet) a few inches away from the projector to just cause a little air movement and it did the trick.

#18 ·
#19 ·
The projector's case gets hot even when sitting completely unobstructed in open air. Enclosing the projector in a box with just the front open will trap some of the heat radiating from the projector's case even if both the air intake and exhaust have a clear path at the open front. A properly designed hush box will provide cooling air passing over the projector's case in addition to having unobstructed air intake and exhaust for internally cooling the projector. For example, commercially available hush boxes enclosed on all but one side have provisions for cooling fans like the one pictured below:

ssidisplays.com/projector-enclosures/hush-box-enclosures/

#20 ·
In the OPs case I don’t even know I would call it a hush box, although it may help a little with sound.

He just wants to block the line of sight to the projector with a black surface. His box needs no front back or top, and as I mentioned above one or two computer fans powered off a wall wart transformer could be added if any clue of overheating came up. I have a cheap radio shack infrared temp measure gun. With something like that or even the hand test with and without would be good enough to see if temp was building. Test without the box and then test with. If the projector has a trigger output that could be used to start the computer fan.

Heat rises so he has that going for him and a true hush box will have sound insulation inside and that also will hold heat. Without it that should be better also.

#21 · (Edited)
A hushbox like 'Dave in Green' posted a picture of is more than i need. Bud is correct in that all i want to do is block the distracting white from view. The ceiling is low so going more than 11" from it people could accidentally hit it with their head. I figure to hang the box from chains. In reality it may not even be a box. Maybe 4 chains (2 for each side of the projector) attached to the ceiling with hooks. 11-12 inches of chain connected to a black painted piece of wood. Easy to take down if/when needed Black piece of wood blocks the white of the projector. Too bad i can't draw worth sxxx so I could see and show what this would look like.

I've had the paper attached to the projector for the past couple days. It's less distracting though still,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

#22 ·
In that case build a frame out of 4 pieces of wood the size you want and cover it with black velvet by wrapping it around and stapling it to the back/top side. Screw in 4 small eye screws one in each corner for your chains or what ever you hang it by. Black cord would work even.

It will be nice and light weight and nothing is quite as black as black velvet.

This should be a 1.5 on a 1-10 DIY scale.

#23 · (Edited)
Went from a box to a piece of wood hung 11" down. Now back to a box. Haha! I guess just one piece wasn't going to be enough as when i sit in the chair behind the projector I would still see the white of the back of the projector. So, 1 piece of wood for underneath 24", 1 for the back 11", and 2 for the side 11x24 or is t 24x11? Wrap the wood in black velvet? Wouldn't airflow be better, to whatever extent if painted black rather than using velvet?

#24 ·
What I was thinking about is a picture frame type shape. The center would be open except for the black velvet.

A solid piece of plywood or something will be a lot heavier than a light frame with cloth. Frame could be made out of 1x1 with a single screw holding each corner. Making it light you could even hang it from fishing line.

I don’t think heat will be an issue.

If you go to an art store I bet you could buy a blank artist canvas to use and just paint it black. Pick a size you like.
https://www.amazon.com/Yeahii-Square-Artist-Acrylic-Supplies/dp/B07649P1XY
:)

#25 ·
@squigly1, the only reason I addressed the cooling issue is because it sounded as if you were planning a box that was only open at the front. As long as you are aware of the full implications of the cooling issue and design something that allows full air circulation you should be OK. Just remember that projectors are designed to be cooled by air freely flowing around the case in addition to air being draw through the case by the projector's internal fans.

#27 · (Edited)
I wouldn't do any of this stuff, use black velvet tape or a piece of triple black velvet fabric (customized for velcro attachement), don't paint a projector or build a box (unless you need one for other reasons). You can get it in different sizes depending how you want to break up the seams...

Adhesive
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ProScreens...m1e98385aaf:g:gdsAAOSwm8VUtWP8&frcectupt=true
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ProScreens...m20b5763294:g:W~4AAOSwvg9XYDgo&frcectupt=true
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-5-x-25-R...:iuMAAOSwLVZV50Pj:sc:USPSPriority!76502!US!-1

Fabric
https://www.ifabric.com/products/black-triple-velvet-fabric

If you go the fabric route, you'll just make a cut out where the buttons are, and then get some velcro, attach the velcro and make a velcro'd cover for the buttons.
So if you ever need access to the buttons, just unvelcro the fabric where the buttons are.

You can also skip the tape entirely and just use the fabric ONLY by putting some velcro adhesive in the correct places on the projector.
That way much less of a 'sticky mess' to clean up if you ever need to remove it, though it might sag and not look as clean as the tape.

#28 · (Edited)
You could pretty easily add a usb-powered exhaust fan to the back of the "hush" box. It will come on with the projector and pull cool air in from the open front and out the back. I'd go with a large-ish 92mm or 120mm and keep an eye on the spec-ed sound output. With the open front, front-facing vents for both induction and exhaust, and a rear exhaust fan, I don't think you'll have any issues with heat. I've considered doing something similar for my TK800 (white/teal, ugh) but it's mounted to a pitched ceiling, it would have a fairly large footprint, and it's fairly low directly over the main seating position.

If you do want to add some marginal "hush" attributes at the same time, line the box with some sound-absorbing foam, but adjust the interior dimensions accordingly.

#29 · (Edited)
Thanks for the ideas all. Coderguy's method would be the easiest and maybe even something I could do without screwing it up. Haha! I kind of like the idea of of the fabric route and the less sticky mess. If I were to go this route how many yards do you think i would need for say maybe an Epson 5040? So wrap the projector in the fabric (tight as to limit sag), cut out where the buttons, lamp door, etc, are and then use velcro to cover those things but keep them accessible? Though, wouldn't heat be an issue wrapping it in fabric or even using tape?

#30 ·
I would think 1 yard should be plenty, you can buy 2 if you want a bunch extra.
Only costs $7 yard from iFabric.

You should also consider treating your room with black velvet if you have not already done so, huge improvement to the overall PJ image.

#34 · (Edited)
Back to the box for a moment :) I found this that someone posted on one of the 5050UB threads. It eliminates the projector mount as a bonus, making it easier to remove, etc. I would need to paint it black and maybe put some hinges on the side and back though not sure since it would easy to remove the projector to change bulb.

Attachments

#37 ·
I replaced my Panasonic AE4000U, which was black, with the Epson 5040UB, which is white. It sits right above my head by about 18 inches when I am sitting, same location as the Panasonic was. I do not even hear it, let alone notice it at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.