• 1 Post By Dave in Green
  • 1 Post By block134

post #1 of 15 Old 04-15-2019, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Angry Projector bulb went pop

I have a Benq HT2050 and the bulb literally just exploded and made a mess inside the projector. Seems like all the other posts I could find on the topic said that they rarely make a mess when this but I have everything from tiny slivers of glass to about half a dozen the size of a pea every inside the cavity around the bulb assembly, on the lens/mirror, in the fan and fan paths. I was wondering if this is worth cleaning and salvaging or would this be a good excuse to upgrade.

April 19th I am supposed to be closing on a house that will have space for a dedicated theater room so I was thinking now might be a good time to upgrade to a 4K projector if they are not too expensive. I haven't really don't any research on projectors since I bought the Benq about three years ago. I have had no issues with the Benq other then every now and then me and my wife would see rainbows if we moved our heads.

Space wise I am going to have a room that is roughly 24' x 28' that I want to divide into two 12' x 28' spaces. One space will have a utility/equipment closet in it as well as a bar area and the other will be the theater. I can't get much better measurements other than that until I close, I won't know the height of the space until then either but I am guessing right now it is around 7 feet from floor to drop ceiling.

I am not really looking for build ideas, I plan on starting a separate thread for that. Just wanted to start looking at some recommendations for projectors or if I should just clean the old one.

Last edited by block134; 04-17-2019 at 04:00 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-15-2019, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4650 Post(s)
Liked: 2945
Quote:
Originally Posted by block134 View Post
I have a Benq HT2050 and the bulb literally just exploded and made a mess inside the projector. Seems like all the other posts I could find on the topic said that they rarely make a mess when this but I have everything from tiny slivers of glass to about half a dozen the size of a pea every inside the cavity around the bulb assembly, on the lens/mirror, in the fan and fan paths. I was wondering if this is worth cleaning and salvaging or would this be a good excuse to upgrade.

April 19th I am supposed to be closing on a house that will have space for a dedicated theater room so I was thinking now might be a good time to upgrade to a 4K projector if they are not too expensive. I haven't really don't any research on projectors since I bought the Benq about three years ago. I have had no issues with the Benq other then every now and then me and my wife would see rainbows if we moved our heads.

Space wise I am going to have a room that is roughly 24' x 28' that I want to divide into two 12' x 28' spaces. One space will have a utility/equipment closet in it as well as a bar area and the other will be the theater. I can't get much better measurements other than that until I close, I won't know the height of the space until then either but I am guessing right now it is around 7 feet from floor to drop ceiling.

I am not really looking for build ideas, I plan on starting a separate thread for that. Just wanted to start looking at some recommendations for projectors or if I should just clean the old one.
Vacuum that crap out and install a new bulb.
bud16415 and Squirrel! like this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-16-2019, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
There are a number of people who have had this happen and most just clean it up and install a new lamp without any issue.

A new projector is a good way to go, but you really don't want to go down that path now if you are moving and you already have a solid projector. There is some discussion in the HT2050 thread and elsewhere about generic lamp options for the HT2050 which work really well and are reliable. That's certainly the way I would go. I would probably look for a complete lamp assembly since the lamp blew up instead of just going out. You don't want to deal with any glass shards which may be on the reflector.

Get into your new home then test everything out. Get your setup figured out, then if the room is good, get a GOOD 4K projector to make the most of the room. (think JVC/Sony)

Right now though, you have one of the absolute best entry level models and if you replace the lamp and it works perfectly, then you will get much better resale value from it.
Squirrel! and block134 like this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-16-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 1240
Send it to benq for service, get it serviced by a 3rd party pro, or buy a new projector.

The lamp remnants are highly toxic and are supposed to be cleaned out with a Mercury vacuum.
philipbtz and block134 like this.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-16-2019, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Get into your new home then test everything out. Get your setup figured out, then if the room is good, get a GOOD 4K projector to make the most of the room. (think JVC/Sony)

Right now though, you have one of the absolute best entry level models and if you replace the lamp and it works perfectly, then you will get much better resale value from it.
This is kind of the plan I was thinking about doing but was wondering if the cost of the bulb would be worth it right now. In order to keep the wife happy I will probably end up doing her projects first before I can do mine so it could be some time before I get to the point of being ready for a new projector.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-16-2019, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
Send it to benq for service, get it serviced by a 3rd party pro, or buy a new projector.

The lamp remnants are highly toxic and are supposed to be cleaned out with a Mercury vacuum.
OMG F that. What an overreaction in my opinion. I've had a bulb explode once in a friend's projector. Vacuum it out, put in a new bulb, go on with your life.
Squirrel! likes this.

Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-16-2019, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
OMG F that. What an overreaction in my opinion. I've had a bulb explode once in a friend's projector. Vacuum it out, put in a new bulb, go on with your life.
What I posted is literally Philips' cleanup procedure instructions for UHP bulb rupture/explosion. So that's what a bulb manufacturer says to do, and I'd venture they are pretty aware the contents of their product...
post #8 of 15 Old 04-16-2019, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What I posted is literally Philips' cleanup procedure instructions for UHP bulb rupture/explosion. So that's what a bulb manufacturer says to do, and I'd venture they are pretty aware the contents of their product...
Of course. Those guys post whatever they can to avoid potential lawsuit from stupid mistakes. Still a super big overreaction.
Squirrel! and block134 like this.

post #9 of 15 Old 04-16-2019, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Of course. Those guys post whatever they can to avoid potential lawsuit from stupid mistakes. Still a super big overreaction.
Maybe but there must be something highly toxic in there with that type of cleanup procedure recommendation..

I mean you don't see balloon manufacturers recommend cleaning up a popped balloon with a Mercury vacuum right?
post #10 of 15 Old 04-16-2019, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Maybe but there must be something highly toxic in there with that type of cleanup procedure recommendation..

I mean you don't see balloon manufacturers recommend cleaning up a popped balloon with a Mercury vacuum right?
Right there's mercury in there. Most vacuums have filters. Tons of members have cleaned up their own bulb mess and installed a new bulb and aren't dead or in the hospital from it. I think there's as much risk of exposure from the clean up as the initial explosion so I would just clean that crap up and move on. If you're worried then wear a mask and try to hold your breath when you work.

post #11 of 15 Old 04-16-2019, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Right there's mercury in there. Most vacuums have filters. Tons of members have cleaned up their own bulb mess and installed a new bulb and aren't dead or in the hospital from it. I think there's as much risk of exposure from the clean up as the initial explosion so I would just clean that crap up and move on. If you're worried then wear a mask and try to hold your breath when you work.
OK that's fine if one wants to go that route, I was just presenting a recommendation to someone who might not know what's in there, might have kids, etc. Just using safest recommendation / precautions.
Squirrel! and Superman2 like this.
post #12 of 15 Old 04-16-2019, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
OK that's fine if one wants to go that route, I was just presenting a recommendation to someone who might not know what's in there, might have kids, etc. Just using safest recommendation / precautions.
It's less exposure than eating fish on a regular basis or if you have dental amalgam mercury fillings.
Squirrel! likes this.
post #13 of 15 Old 04-16-2019, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3578 Post(s)
Liked: 2768
Philips also made the following recommendations about dealing with broken or ruptured UHP lamps:

Quote:
No adverse effects are expected from occasional exposure to broken lamps. As a matter of good practice, avoid prolonged or frequent exposure to broken lamps unless there is adequate ventilation. The major hazard from broken lamps is the possibility of sustaining glass cuts.

In the event of a bulb rupture, a limited amount of mercury vapour could be emitted into the room. To avoid inhaling this mercury vapour (which is toxic and can be harmful for lungs and nervous system) the room of use should be thoroughly ventilated for some period (30 minutes).
AV_Integrated likes this.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-17-2019, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter

Everyone has their own ideas as to what is safe and I thank the poster that posted the comment about having it done by an authorized repair place. For me personally, I feel like since the bulb already exploded the mercury is probably for the most part gone so I went with the ventilating the room. I haven't cleaned the projector yet but I feel for myself and my family that if I do it myself I will be fine for the most part. I am probably going to get cancer anyway since I eat bacon.https://www.cancer.org/latest-news/h...ers-bacon.html
Wesley Hester likes this.
post #15 of 15 Old 04-17-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
@Dave in Green (once again) is on point with the most common recommendation that I have heard.

Since the lamp exploded it released mercury vapor into the room. This is over with and done. If you sat around wondering WTF was going on, you may have gotten absolute minimal exposure, but really, too late now.

I would take the projector to a well ventilated area and clean it up as best I could, then drop a new generic lamp into it.

If the projector works perfectly, then you are golden for a few years. If it doesn't, well, then you know. If it works, but you are still in the mood for a new projector, then take photos of it in action and the fact that it is WORKING will increase the resale value by at least the price of that lamp.

I can't help you with your wife. That's not the business I'm in.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page