New Epson Pro Cinema 6050UB 4K Pro-UHD Projector First Look & Live Demo - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 117Likes

post #181 of 206 Old 05-09-2019, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
If you're ever near the Philadelphia area feel free to stop by and check out my 6050 I think it definitely is a significant real-world viewing difference between 1900 and 2600 lumens. I have seen the JVC nx5 in person and it does throw a fantastic image don't get me wrong but the 4K resolution image quality improvement that it provides is just not enough of a difference from me to have less lumens I feel the Epson actually outperforms it in terms of HDR which honestly I thought I would never say that because my 5040 I definitely felt was somewhat lacking in the HDR Department even after doing the firmware upgrade from January 2018 and even after having Jeff Meyer of Accu Cal do a calibration. Kevin

Can I take you up on that offer to see it too? I’m from the Philly area and would love to check it out when I head that way to visit family over the summer.

I did the HarperVision tweaks on the 5040s, so I’d love to see how HDR looks on these 6050s!
Of course!!! The Dave Harper in my house!!! Harper Vision!! SIGN ME UP!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 206 Old 05-09-2019, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Of course!!! The Dave Harper in my house!!! Harper Vision!! SIGN ME UP!!

Haha you crack me up! I’m far from anything but a normal guy. I really don’t want to underwhelm you. There’s many that know far more, or at least have the time to do so which I don’t have any longer unfortunately.
post #183 of 206 Old 05-09-2019, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzdog View Post
Thank you very much to the 18+1 AVS Forum members that attended the Epson unveiling. Your presence was appreciated and your comments and feedback were all taken to heart by the Epson team and engineers. I felt the event was a great success that was made better by all of your questions and opinions!

David
How 'bout posting those settings used in the demo so we can all get our 5050/6050s looking that good!
gnagyg likes this.

Video: Epson 5050 / nVidia Shield / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 206 Old 05-11-2019, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post
How 'bout posting those settings used in the demo so we can all get our 5050/6050s looking that good!
i was at the event and that projector was truly impressive. it definitely has me wondering if i really need a true 4k projector: resolution does not drive picture quality at this point, brightness, contrast and black levels do. especially when i take into account that my screen is only 95“. thanks for inviting me!
hnupe likes this.
post #185 of 206 Old 05-13-2019, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Posting here so Mark can see my new avatar...I'll change it soon, had to!

Interesting idea @ckronengold we can ask.
ckronengold likes this.

AVS Forum Marketing Solutions
m. 416-578-0769
e. [email protected]
post #186 of 206 Old 05-14-2019, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thats cold, man.

Quote:
Obviously it goes without saying that every room is different and the settings might not be ideal for someone elses room, but I think it would be a great starting point.

JonfromCB likes this.

post #187 of 206 Old 05-14-2019, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Quoted: 9160 Post(s)
Liked: 16156
Quote:
Thats cold, man.
I saw that quadruple-bounce with PERFECT clarity thanks to modern display technology. I think it's time to go back to 480i.

Quote:
Obviously it goes without saying that every room is different and the settings might not be ideal for someone elses room, but I think it would be a great starting point.

The thing is that people asked Kevin Miller for those settings, and he said no. He said has them for personal reference, but he would not share them with the folks at the event.

I think the basic idea is that you should get one of those set up discs, Disney WOW or Spears & Munsil, do what you can with your eyes and patterns, and if you need to go beyond that, you need a meter.

Realistically, the starting point is to use this forum to figure out how to use test patterns to optimize your display, in particular the parameters that don't require a meter to adjust optimally.

The beauty of AVS Forum is that the answer to getting the best picture is contained within, the problem is it's not as simple as just copying some settings, that somebody's keeping a secret for no good reason. The settings are not being shared because It's not just have a room that's different, it's the screen material that's different, it's screen sizes that are different, and there are variations from projector to projector. It's not even as simple as it is with TVs, where some settings (like gamma and backlight control) have a very consistent effect from unit to unit. With projection, it can be all over the place Almost everyone using the exact same type/size of screen, in the exact same type of room.

It is the fact of these challenges that is also why you cannot have something like Dolby Vision for projectors. You simply cannot predict the behavior of the device once you factor in the room and the screen.
JonfromCB and barfle like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 05-14-2019 at 08:07 AM.
post #188 of 206 Old 05-14-2019, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Probably won't have time to post much today as I have to clean up from the electrician he's a great great electrician but a horrible housekeeper LOL. It's great to meet so many wonderful people from The Forum last night. It's just a teaser picture as I haven't hung the projector yet because I have to figure out the chief Mount that it came with LOL.

I live in the Philly area. Currently, I have a JVC RS1. I am thinking about replacing it with a 6050. But, I am not a handy man for installing a new projector. I would appreciate any recommendation as where to get the projector and contractor for the installation. Thanks.
post #189 of 206 Old 05-14-2019, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashaw4811 View Post
Quote:
Probably won't have time to post much today as I have to clean up from the electrician he's a great great electrician but a horrible housekeeper LOL. It's great to meet so many wonderful people from The Forum last night. It's just a teaser picture as I haven't hung the projector yet because I have to figure out the chief Mount that it came with LOL.

I live in the Philly area. Currently, I have a JVC RS1. I am thinking about replacing it with a 6050. But, I am not a handy man for installing a new projector. I would appreciate any recommendation as where to get the projector and contractor for the installation. Thanks.
World Wide Stereo has been in business since 1979 have a sterling reputation and they are Epson authorized dealers. They should be able to help you with your situation. I have purchased several products from them through the years I can't speak to their installation as I do most of that myself.

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/worldwidestereo.com
post #190 of 206 Old 05-14-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 2750 Post(s)
Liked: 2732
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I saw that quadruple-bounce with PERFECT clarity thanks to modern display technology. I think it's time to go back to 480i.

The thing is that people asked Kevin Miller for those settings, and he said no. He said has them for personal reference, but he would not share them with the folks at the event.

I think the basic idea is that you should get one of those set up discs, Disney WOW or Spears & Munsil, do what you can with your eyes and patterns, and if you need to go beyond that, you need a meter.

Realistically, the starting point is to use this forum to figure out how to use test patterns to optimize your display, in particular the parameters that don't require a meter to adjust optimally.

The beauty of AVS Forum is that the answer to getting the best picture is contained within, the problem is it's not as simple as just copying some settings, that somebody's keeping a secret for no good reason. The settings are not being shared because It's not just have a room that's different, it's the screen material that's different, it's screen sizes that are different, and there are variations from projector to projector. It's not even as simple as it is with TVs, where some settings (like gamma and backlight control) have a very consistent effect from unit to unit. With projection, it can be all over the place Almost everyone using the exact same type/size of screen, in the exact same type of room.

It is the fact of these challenges that is also why you cannot have something like Dolby Vision for projectors. You simply cannot predict the behavior of the device once you factor in the room and the screen.

Actually they should get the EXCELLENT AVS709 disc for free right here on this very website!

This actually brings up an interesting discussion, however. What to do with HDR setup? In my experience, there isn’t much you can do for HDR besides download some test patterns and see how far your display is from ideal. Obviously you can adjust the HDR settings but in my experience it can be difficult to do this by eye. As most people in this price range aren’t likely to shell out for a professional calibration (well maybe for this projector as it straddles the line between mid and high end) the out-of-the-box image becomes vitally important to many people.
ckronengold likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #191 of 206 Old 05-14-2019, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

All true, but...... I think its a good place to start and/or give you something to compare to. The WOW or S&M discs aren't really going to help you dive into the 10 pt greyscale settings.

I can understand Kevin not wanting to post them publicly since thats the business he's in, and nobody should be giving away their product for free. But I wouldn't mind terribly if they were shared with those of us who attended the event, again, just as a starting point.

I think we probably all understand both sides of the argument. And I certainly don't want to turn it into a debate.

post #192 of 206 Old 05-14-2019, 06:45 PM

New Epson Pro Cinema 6050UB 4K Pro-UHD Projector First Look & Live Demo

Quote:
All true, but...... I think its a good place to start and/or give you something to compare to. The WOW or S&M discs aren't really going to help you dive into the 10 pt greyscale settings.

I can understand Kevin not wanting to post them publicly since thats the business he's in, and nobody should be giving away their product for free. But I wouldn't mind terribly if they were shared with those of us who attended the event, again, just as a starting point.

I think we probably all understand both sides of the argument. And I certainly don't want to turn it into a debate.

I can understand why Kevin doesn’t share. I’ve made that mistake and it comes back to bite you in posterior by all the critics and naysayers that may not get the settings right or as said, the environment and system changes things too much.

Quote:
World Wide Stereo has been in business since 1979 have a sterling reputation and they are Epson authorized dealers. They should be able to help you with your situation. I have purchased several products from them through the years I can't speak to their installation as I do most of that myself.

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/worldwidestereo.com

I second that recommendation! There’s also World Premiere Home Theater whom I’ve contracted with on numerous occasions in the past. They’re out closer to Harrisburg though.

Oh and also Audio General Inc. in Huntingdon Valley. I used to do contract work for them too.

Quote:

Wow that really hurts man! I’m from Philly and a huge fan of the sports teams still!

Go Phillies and Eagles!!!
post #193 of 206 Old 05-14-2019, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Quoted: 9160 Post(s)
Liked: 16156
Quote:

Right... the exact settings that people should not be copying and pasting into their own projector. A hard no. Not happening. Not a good idea.

Learn how to calibrate, is my answer to anyone who wants to know kevin's "settings" for 10-point grayscale. That's the ONLY answer, aside from hiring a calibrator to do it for you.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #194 of 206 Old 05-14-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Right... the exact settings that people should not be copying and pasting into their own projector. A hard no. Not happening. Not a good idea.

Learn how to calibrate, is my answer to anyone who wants to know kevin's "settings" for 10-point grayscale. That's the ONLY answer, aside from hiring a calibrator to do it for you.

I don’t know if I totally agree with that though. I think some base settings can get you started and in the ballpark, but then of course after putting them in you should then calibrate from there. It will just make it that much easier, especially for newbies that may not know a certain step to be done that the initial calibrator accounted for in his/her base settings.
ckronengold likes this.
post #195 of 206 Old 05-15-2019, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

As long as the horse is still alive.......

I hear you. But I'd contend that having "good" settings in your hand would help guide you along in that learning. I have a -37 where he's got a +21? Hmmmm......OK, sure there are room/screen differences, but maybe I'm doing something actually wrong. Or look at the differences and see if and/or why you prefer one over the other --- in your room.

Learning to calibrate is a long process and requires expensive equipment to do it at the level that most of us are looking to achieve. Besides, it would give me something to play with and compare while I wait for Kevin to make it out to my house in a month.

post #196 of 206 Old 06-01-2019, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Well I ordered mine today and it will be here mid-week. Going to project on the wall before I finalize my screen size but i am 99% sure I am using a 150” scope sized screen. The 6050 is my first projector so eager to get it up running. The dealer can do calibrations but I will wait until the room is done and borrow what settings I can get in the meantime
post #197 of 206 Old 06-08-2019, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhutchins View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonBenji View Post
Since when have Chief mounts been cheap [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
My bad. I have no direct experience with the included mounts, so I should not have disparaged their quality.
[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/redface.gif[/IMG]

Mike (appropriately chagrined)

ps: @skylarlove1999 had this to say about the included Chief mount:

.... [The included Chief mount] is by far the best Mount I have owned in 20 years of projectors. Honestly if I had known how amazing the Chief mount was I would have bought one a long time ago and spent the money.... I finally have my projector aligned perfectly which is something I haven't ever been able to say before with any other mount.
LOL Mike thank you did you go with the 6050 and I assume you hung up with the mount and realize just like I did what a great mount it is.
JonfromCB likes this.
post #198 of 206 Old 06-08-2019, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc View Post
^^^^So there were some issues with the contrast due to the fact that light was reflecting off of the bright color walls and the ceiling. I saw the problem with the contrast right away and pulled a few people, including the professional calibration person there, to try to get to the bottom of it. They were the ones to point out the contrast problem was directly a result of the reflection from the wall.

Apparently, they wanted the room to be more like a living room rather than a dedicated theater, so the decor was not conducive to the best PQ.
Good day to you. Has Epson reached out to you at all regarding the mysterious raffle prize you one just wondering LOL is it could be a true 4K projector
post #199 of 206 Old 06-08-2019, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatallerror View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post
The wait to get a native 4K projector under $5,000 has been nothing short of hilarious. What's another couple of years at this point?

Yeah, we all know how great the pixel-shifters are.

James
Epson will announce native 4K model at IFA in September.
I have heard those rumors for 3 years now do you have a actual source within Epson or are you just hoping like the rest of us?
post #200 of 206 Old 06-08-2019, 01:08 PM
jcc
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Good day to you. Has Epson reached out to you at all regarding the mysterious raffle prize you one just wondering LOL is it could be a true 4K projector
Unfortunately, no. Not a peep. I vaguely remember them saying in a couple of months, but I’m not sure if I misheard? I’ll wait a bit more to see. I wouldn’t mind if they’re waiting to announce their latest and the greatest so long as I get one! 😬

I'm a web developer Jim, Not a doctor!

C8 FAQ
post #201 of 206 Old 06-08-2019, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
LOL Mike thank you did you go with the 6050 and I assume you hung up with the mount and realize just like I did what a great mount it is.
Not yet... we are traveling in Iceland for 2 weeks and the check book is going to need a few weeks (months ) to recover. I’m toying with the idea of going for the 6050 as the handpicked components appeals to me vs the lottery of a 5050. On the other hand, I’m hoping the QA processes will tighten up overall production quality after a few months and allow Epson to produce higher quality optics for all projectors. Then again, that may just be a rationalization for buying the 5050. I’ll let you know when I finally upgrade my 8700UB.

Mike
post #202 of 206 Old 06-09-2019, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhutchins View Post
Not yet... we are traveling in Iceland for 2 weeks and the check book is going to need a few weeks (months ) to recover. I’m toying with the idea of going for the 6050 as the handpicked components appeals to me vs the lottery of a 5050. On the other hand, I’m hoping the QA processes will tighten up overall production quality after a few months and allow Epson to produce higher quality optics for all projectors. Then again, that may just be a rationalization for buying the 5050. I’ll let you know when I finally upgrade my 8700UB.

Mike
Same boat. Trying to decide if it's worth the extra $1,000.
post #203 of 206 Old 06-12-2019, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
I have heard those rumors for 3 years now do you have a actual source within Epson or are you just hoping like the rest of us?
My source is Kyle Reese But they will definitely announce it this time
post #204 of 206 Old 06-12-2019, 03:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatallerror View Post
Quote:
My source is Kyle Reese [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG] But they will definitely announce it this time [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
I'll be back. If you are wrong. LOL. Hasta la vista baby.
fatallerror likes this.
post #205 of 206 Old 08-10-2019, 10:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 5326 Post(s)
Liked: 3839
Unlike the 6040, is this new 6050 not ISF certified?
post #206 of 206 Old 08-11-2019, 02:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustypep View Post
Well I ordered mine today and it will be here mid-week. Going to project on the wall before I finalize my screen size but i am 99% sure I am using a 150” scope sized screen. The 6050 is my first projector so eager to get it up running. The dealer can do calibrations but I will wait until the room is done and borrow what settings I can get in the meantime
Run the bulb in for approximately 70-100hrs before considering any form of calibration.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
epson event

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page