• 1 Post By gergman2004

post #1 of 11 Old 04-23-2019, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Epson 4010

Hey All-

New to the forum and hopefully new to the projector scene. I am eyeing up a Epson 4010 that will be installed in a home theater in the basement. Primary viewing will be Blu-ray and streaming content. Some sports mixed in. Due to primarily being movies, I am looking at a CinemaScope Screen (2.35:1 ratio). I can go as big as a 115" wide screen for the wall/space, but I'm concerned with the distance the projector would be mounted. Ideally, a 12' screen to lens distance would be where I want it to be, but from various calculators that may not be possible. It appears 13' might make it. Any thoughts on this? The throw ratio for the Epson is 1.35-2.84. Also, I am looking at the Silver Ticket Screens, seem like a good value. Any thoughts on this product? Thanks for all the feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-23-2019, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 494
12'11" is the closest the lens can be for a 115" wide screen and note the projector body is about 18" deep. Silver ticket is the most recommended entry level screen on these forums. For a scope screen power lens memory is a must so your choices are limited. A BenQ HT3550 has a shorter throw and most likely has a better 4K picture but not suited for a scope screen.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 11 Old 04-23-2019, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks rekbones. I can go back that far, I was just hoping to minimize seeing the cables/cords. I forget offhand what the next size down is for a scope screen. Am I won't in wanting a scope screen for my viewing habits? Are there any disadvantages to getting it other than sports and some television shows aren't filmed for it?

As for the 4010, what's everyone's thoughts on paying the $600 premium for the new model that just came out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-24-2019, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

As far as a scope screen goes it really is just personal preference. If you look at the screen forum posts about 2:39 vs 16:9 the argument is rather heated. Personally if you have the height available I would always go with a 16:9 screen and mask it down for scope but this is very dependent on the size of the room. I highly recommend you get the projector and temporally shoot on the wall or temporary screen for a least a few weeks and see what works for you. The 4010 defiantly made some improvements especially in 4K HDR over the 4000 is it $600 worth only you can decide. If you have a dark painted room with dark ceiling I would opt for the 5040 or 5050 over the 4000/4010 even if its a refurbished for the higher contrast.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #5 of 11 Old 04-24-2019, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

I ripped off some of the wood panels I put up to assess getting the cords through the drywall, I should be able to make it work. The more I looked at it, setting the mount back further is probably for the best since it will behind the viewer rather than directly above them. The mount will have to span two joists, so a Chief bracket may be needed. The room will not have any outside or ambient light when I'm finished, but the walls are not completely dark. The screen wall and the ceiling above it are a dark, flat brown. It was the best I could do with the wife. The outside walls are about 6-8 feet from the screen. All of this can be seen in the pics. Height is a bit of an issue being in my basement which was another reason for getting a longer but shorter scope screen.

The projector idea was not in the cards till I was halfway through the remodel project. I've had to make some adjustments along the way to accommodate this, but I think it will be better than a flat screen in this space. The idea of projecting it on the wall first is a great idea. I was eyeing up a 5040 or 5050, but it was outside of my budget of $2k. If I can track down a refurbished one, that would be awesome. Any other feedback on this layout or things I may be missing would be great. The projector thing is new to me but it is something I have always wanted in one of our rooms. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Basement 1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	872.8 KB
ID:	2557594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Basement 2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	731.8 KB
ID:	2557596  
post #6 of 11 Old 04-24-2019, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hey

im in a similar boat as you was eyeing up the 4010. I have a 13ft 6 inches to work with and wanted to put a 120 inch screen from what I saw its possible if you almost max out the zoom. Which I have read pros and cons on not sure what to take away from it....

What did you end up deciding on projector wise and distance wise?

I saw your post about the premium one if you mean the 4050 from what I understood the extra money gets you a extra year warranty, spare bulb and the whole case of the projector is black vs white.

Last edited by lycokayaker; 04-24-2019 at 11:14 AM.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-24-2019, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycokayaker View Post
Hey

im in a similar boat as you was eyeing up the 4010. I have a 13ft 6 inches to work with and wanted to put a 120 inch screen from what I saw its possible if you almost max out the zoom. Which I have read pros and cons on not sure what to take away from it....

What did you end up deciding on projector wise and distance wise?

I saw your post about the premium one if you mean the 4050 from what I understood the extra money gets you a extra year warranty, spare bulb and the whole case of the projector is black vs white.
Still trying to figure it out. Using Epson's calculator, I'm confused a bit. If you look at my pictures, I will be mounting my projector behind an HVAC drop down section (the section in wood). This is about 8-9" drop down. I was using Epson's projector calculator and it makes it seem that the projector needs to be installed a certain distance below the top of the screen (they call it 'offset from lens center). For instance, if my screen is 45" high, I need to mount the projector so the lens is 15" below the top of the screen (only an example number, I know this may not be accurate). If that is the case, the projector would have to be mounted almost 2' below the ceiling. In the basement, this would be right at face level. Am I interpreting this correctly? If the projector is mounted such that the lens is in line with the top of the screen, is this acceptable?
post #8 of 11 Old 04-24-2019, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 144
As a 4000 user I have to warn you about their "Warranty". They do not replace your NEW unit with a new one. It is someone else's unit with a new bulb and wiped down/cleaned. My 4000 replacement was actually worse with the same lens scratch and the motorized lens control is loose, it moves the whole assembly at a certain point when focusing. I found in my research users on amazon who took pictures of scratched up 5040 refurbs sent back to them. You will not get a new one is the point. If you buy from Best Buy, get an in store warranty so you can return for replacement there or another retailer that will exchange it.

Now BenQ on the other hand are great. Sent me a NEW 3050 when I mine went bad after 6 months. If you are looking in this price range, I would be willing to give up the better contrast of the Epson's for the sharper picture of the BenQ, because they stand behind their products with a great warranty.

If you want to keep the better contrast and quality, save your money for the B stock JVC's or Sony's in the $3000+ category. They also stand behind their products.

IMO and through research.

Epson HC4000----ES 100" Aeon Borderless Screen---Onkyo 656--Sony X800UHD--2x Martin Logan Motion 12 Rears(lack of space near screen)Klipsch RC-42 Center--2x Klipsch RF-24 L/R--2x RF-14M side surrounds--
post #9 of 11 Old 04-24-2019, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Ha.... I hate to laugh but I was feeling the same way. The projector on the rod coming down from the calculator kills me. I am super green to this side and trying to learn feels like I am trying to drink from a fire hydrant at times. But I would think that you can/should be able to mount at an appropriate height and then tilt the projector to the point you need it????

I also played around with another calculator on a site and they were showing that I am at the very closest range for my desired setup and using up almost all the zoom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gergman2004 View Post
Still trying to figure it out. Using Epson's calculator, I'm confused a bit. If you look at my pictures, I will be mounting my projector behind an HVAC drop down section (the section in wood). This is about 8-9" drop down. I was using Epson's projector calculator and it makes it seem that the projector needs to be installed a certain distance below the top of the screen (they call it 'offset from lens center). For instance, if my screen is 45" high, I need to mount the projector so the lens is 15" below the top of the screen (only an example number, I know this may not be accurate). If that is the case, the projector would have to be mounted almost 2' below the ceiling. In the basement, this would be right at face level. Am I interpreting this correctly? If the projector is mounted such that the lens is in line with the top of the screen, is this acceptable?
post #10 of 11 Old 04-24-2019, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

DRaven-I was looking at the Benq for my price range along with Optoma's. Given the scope screen I would like to use due to my ceiling height and viewing habits, the automatic lens memory was a feature I wanted that the other 2 did not. I wouldn't mind getting a used, higher end model one if the price is right but you got to act fast it seems. In the end, I feel like I am too new to the projector game to go and get a fancy, expensive projector. My goal is to get a decent entry level projector that I can use for a couple of years and upgrade to a better one once I learn the ins and outs, pros and cons, of projection.

As for a supplier, I was planning on a Best Buy or Crutchfield for purchase for the reason you stated.
DRaven72 likes this.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-24-2019, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The 4010 has a 0% fixed offset (with lens shift zeroed out the projector needs to be in the center of the screen) and has a +/- 96% vertical lens shift assuming horizontal is at 0% (using the horizontal will reduce the vertical by a certain %). IE the projector can be mounted anywhere between 46% of screen height above or below the screen or anywhere in between either right side up or inverted. The BenQ is very limited as it needs to be inverted and at the top of the screen or about 10% of screen height above it. Manufactures calculators are very confusing and are even down right wrong on many occasions. Use this calculator http://www.reviewtranslations.com/pr...ulator_en.html and their is another one I like but don't have the link at the moment.

Edit: Never tilt the projector if at all possible as this will force you to use digital keystone correction that will degrade the picture to some extent as you no longer have 1 to 1 pixel mapping and have a scaled image.

Edit: Found the link for the other one http://www.webprojectorcalculator.com/

Last edited by rekbones; 04-24-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
2.35 , 4010 , cinemascope , Epson

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page