Projector Newbie Question regarding placement of projector and projector recommendati - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-27-2019, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Question Projector Newbie Question regarding placement of projector and projector recommendati

I have been in the HT world for many years but this will be my first foray into projectors. I am looking at ultimately a 100" manual screen and budget 4k projector (uhd 50, tk800m, etc).

1. I have a ceiling fan on 8ft ceilings and wondering if the projector can be mounted on a shelf above the seating position? If so, how does one determine the height the projector needs to be? Also, how much mvmt can lems shift accommodate for?

2. The room is 15x12x8 and the projector screen will be placed on the 15' ft wall with screen mounted to ceiling which will come down over the tv on the wall. I assume the projector will be approximately 10.5-11ft from the screen give or take a few inches so I am looking for projector recommendations that are budget 4k offerings that can accommodate my issues above. I have looked at the uhd50 and it seems to have good reviews but want to make sure it will work in my setup.

3. If any other details are needed, I will be more than happy to oblige and thank you for your time in advance.

5.2.2. Projector: BenQ TK800M, Screen: Silver Ticket 92", Speakers: Front Main: Monitor Audio RS6, Center: Monitor Audio RSLCR, Rear: Monitor Audio RS-FX, Atmos: Emotiva E2, Subs: SVS PB-12NSD x 2, Aurasound x 2, Receiver:Denon AVR-X3300, Amp: Rotel RMB-1075, Sources: Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Denon DBP-1610, Roku, Toshiba HD-A3, Power Conditioners:Monster HTS-2600, HDP1800, Remote: Harmony Touch, PC: Ryzen 2700x, EVGA RTX 2080, 32gb DDR4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-27-2019, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked: 477
None of the 4K DLP projectors in this price range can be shelf mounted. They all must be at or slightly above the top of the screen when inverted on the ceiling. The Epson 4000/4010 is the only projector that has enough lens shift to be shelf mounted but has a long throw and might not throw a big enough image with only 12' clearance as the projector body is about 18" deep. Tilting the projector and using digital keystone correction is possible but it degrades the image and is never recommended. The more expensive BenQ 5550 has enough lens shift as does the JVC DLP projector.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 3 Old 04-27-2019, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3541 Post(s)
Liked: 2730
As @rekbones notes DLP projectors are designed to be mounted low and upright near even with the bottom of the screen's image area or high and inverted near even with the top of the screen's image area. So if shelf mounting high you can't have it sitting upright on top of a shelf. However, you can mount it inverted underneath a shelf. Many have done this using a ceiling mount attached to the bottom of a shelf instead of to the ceiling. This orients the projector in the correct inverted position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page