Recommendation for UST projector and screen in bright room - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-04-2019, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Recommendation for UST projector and screen in bright room

Hello everyone,

I'd appreciate any advice I can receive on my situation.

I'm renting a place where the screen will be around 6-7m away from the seats, and will be in a bright room. Given the viewing distance, I'll probably need a very large screen which will be extremely costly as a TV, hence my preference to look into projectors. Will have blinds that can block light very well in the morning, but need to anticipate any viewing in brightness regardless. I'll be using this setup primarily for watching TV/movies/streams and secondarily for gaming (80/20 split).

As I'm renting the place, I won't have alot of leeway with regards to setting up a ceiling mounted (or other type of mounted) projectors as it'll involve a lot of work to extend power cables, extend HDMI and other connectors etc, therefore I'm looking into a UST setup with an appropriate screen.

- What would be the optimal screen size for this viewing distance

- What UST projector and type of screen would you recommend given the viewing distance, brightness of the room, and the ability of people to see the screen regardless of their position/angle from the screen. I've been reading about the Xiaomi Mijia laser projector and it seems nice - does it have enough lumens and contrast for my environment, or do you suggest something else?

- I assume I also need a decent sound system or soundbar. Any recommendations where to start?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190504-163019.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	484.4 KB
ID:	2562414  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-05-2019, 09:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Everything about this is wrong.

You would need a screen 6m wide for seats 6m away. Clearly you do not have the ceiling height to accommodate a screen that large. What is driving your desire to sit so far away ?

A bright room is horrible for front projection, and only an ALR screen would make it at all workable with all that light coming from the side window. Unfortunately, ALR screens and UST projectors do not work together. The projected light striking a screen at extreme angles as a UST projection does will be rejected just like the light from the side window. The result would be a very dim image even in a dark room.

If I were you, I would create a dark room with black drapes covering ceiling and wall and window, then place main seating at the point where the wall power outlet between windows is. Then set a projector on a table behind the seating and choose a projector that has enough vertical lens shift to have the lens pretty much centered on the vertical height of the screen like the Epson 3700 or the Benq 5550 for 4k. Then a simple white screen appropriate to the seating distance, whatever that is. If that seating arrangement results in eyes 10' from the screen then a 135" image would be appropriate. If 12' away, then 150" image.

Yes, you will need speakers and an AVR, not simply a sound bar.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
post #3 of 9 Old 05-05-2019, 11:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Recommendation for UST projector and screen in bright room

Hi @trynix ,
welcome to the forum! @dreamer doesn’t seem to be aware of all the types of ALR (ambient rejecting screens).
While a traditional ALR screen won’t work with a UST projector, there are ones designed specifically for UST projectors. These have a lenticular or fresnel surface. This surface allows the light from directly underneath the screen to reflect back much more than the light coming from other directions.
While ideally a totally dark room and surround sound audio setup is ideal for A/V performance, many people on this forum enjoy larger more immersive screens and the convenience of a sound bar in a living room. A UST projector paired with a UST screen is widely accepted as the best way to do this.
As far as recommendations that’s difficult to do without knowing your budget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-05-2019, 11:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
Hi @trynix ,
welcome to the forum! @dreamer doesn’t seem to be aware of all the types of ALR (ambient rejecting screens).
While a traditional ALR screen won’t work with a UST projector, there are ones designed specifically for UST projectors. These have a lenticular or fresnel surface. This surface allows the light from directly underneath the screen to reflect back much more than the light coming from other directions.
While ideally a totally dark room and surround sound audio setup is ideal for A/V performance, many people on this forum enjoy larger more immersive screens and the convenience of a sound bar in a living room. A UST projector paired with a UST screen is widely accepted as the best way to do this.
As far as recommendations that’s difficult to do without knowing your budget.
Oh, I am aware. The ones I have seen to pair with UST projectors don't seem to come in sizes of 200+".

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
post #5 of 9 Old 05-05-2019, 11:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1316
That is a nice looking room aesthetically, but it's going to be a bit tough to work with when it comes to Home Theater (TV or Projector).

Personally, if it were my room (and I'm not telling you to do this), but what I would do is move the seating closer into the middle and work with that.
Then either get a TV or if you still want a projector, I'd install a desk + hutch (or similar) at the back of the room and hide the projector in a credenza type setup at the top of the hutch, where you can close the doors when not in use.

Then I'd go with like a 120" to 140" screen (your choice).

The issue is you are talking about the seating being 20+ feet away from the screen, that's a long ways away.
Even a 130" screen is going to look somewhat small at that distance, basically like an average TV probably (I didn't calculate it).

So let's say you leave the seating where it is, the next best thing is to do the credenza hutch projector setup at back of room, and go with like a 160"+ screen using a really really bright projector...
Maybe one of the Epson LCD's, or possibly a Viewsonic or Benq DLP.

I would probably not go with a UST in this room, I would want a 150"+ screen in this room, or move the seating closer or change the idea completely.
I know aesthetically that might mean some really tricky decorating, but you could go into a furniture store and ask them for ideas.

One thing you could do is get a big TV and mount it between and slightly above the side doors, then point the screen kind of downward a bit.
When I look at this room, it seems like the root of the problem is the position of the side doors.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 05-06-2019 at 12:04 AM.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-06-2019, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 17
If you dont have high standards 😀

Then buy a portable 120 inch screen from amazon. Buy the tk800. Need to place it about 14 feet away on a Pyle projector stand. And be done. Also a blue tooth sound bar w wireless sub. Either an Apple TV or a 4K fire tv stick.

Pretty portable and cheap. This is my set up for GOT or movie nights. I put it away the rest of the time. I am contemplating a motorized screen to roll down in front of my wall mounted yes tv. Bc moving the screen is the most tedious part of this set up.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-06-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
This room is horrible. This needs to be repeated until it sinks in.

How many movie theaters have you gone to which have HUGE windows right next to the screen? Probably the only time you've seen this is in grammar school when they used projectors with big windows. They pulled the blinds and you could see the black ink against the white background, but that was about it.

This is just going to be tough, and a bright UST projector will set you back $2,000-$3,000, then a good UST lenticular screen will be another... $1,500+ or so for about 120" diagonal. Things will add up very quickly.

In comparison, a Sony 85" LCD can deal with the ambient light under all condition, deliver a much better image most of the time, and hit a similar price point.

There's just to much compromise in this room to make it something that makes a lot of sense IME. I would get a 85" Sony in this room in a second.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-06-2019, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 2021 Post(s)
Liked: 1022
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
This room is horrible. This needs to be repeated until it sinks in.

How many movie theaters have you gone to which have HUGE windows right next to the screen? Probably the only time you've seen this is in grammar school when they used projectors with big windows. They pulled the blinds and you could see the black ink against the white background, but that was about it.

This is just going to be tough, and a bright UST projector will set you back $2,000-$3,000, then a good UST lenticular screen will be another... $1,500+ or so for about 120" diagonal. Things will add up very quickly.

In comparison, a Sony 85" LCD can deal with the ambient light under all condition, deliver a much better image most of the time, and hit a similar price point.

There's just to much compromise in this room to make it something that makes a lot of sense IME. I would get a 85" Sony in this room in a second.
I agree, but then I see several posts a day recommending UST as the answer to all the problems of projection. We need to get back to basics with newcomers and get them to understand of front projection.

As AV has said when do you go to a movie theater and see windows and white walls and ceilings.

Simply put a projector, any projector makes black by sending out no light. They do not project out black light they send out no light. Sit and look at your picture you posted in the first post 2 days ago your first post ever and you haven’t been back in two days to check on if anyone replied. Look at that back wall if you projected to that wall with the best projector in the world the way that wall looks would be your darkest black you could ever possibly get.

I don’t post this for the OPs benefit but for any other newcomers here or the 100 of non members that lurk and read for advice.

Bud
post #9 of 9 Old 05-06-2019, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1316
I just let them do the install, and once they see how bad it is, I figure they will go out and buy curtains.
If not, their choice

However, yes, a TV will work much better in that room...

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page