Video - Epson 4010 Home Theater Finished - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By MattHome
  • 1 Post By MattHome

post #1 of 5 Old 05-06-2019, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Cool Video - Epson 4010 Home Theater Finished

Just wanted to update you guys with a quick video of the final product some of you helped me put together:

Receiver turns on and sets output from TV to projector, projector powers on as it comes down (via Logitech Harmony, wifi relay, and custom built lift), screen drops (via a 12v trigger using a wifi relay), then every single light in the house dims or turns off to a "Movie" setting (via Lutron Caseta) and the smart thermostat drops the temperature.

• Projector is Epson 4010 (3 chip LCD, 4k HDR10 at 30hz for movies or no HDR at 60hz for sports)
• Screen is Elite Screens Cinegrey 5D Tab Tensioned 16:9 106" distanced 8.5ft from center seat.
• Receiver is the Onkyo TX-NR686 100w at 8 ohms with 4k HDR10.
• Left/right speakers are Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-FS52-LR
• Center is a BIC FH6-LCR EQ tuned with the highs dropped and the low/mids boosted to better blend with the warmer pioneer left/rights
• 4 surrounds are Yamaha NS-IW480CWH tuned only slightly warmer (less high fatigue during certain types of music)
• Subs are Pioneer SW-8MKS 100w (left), BIC America F12 475w (right)
• HDMI cable is 15m RUIPRO Fiber Optic (pushes 4k at all settings without trouble)
• Thermostat is an Ecobee connected to Alexa, IFTTT

We also set up the following general house automations:
• When we leave, every light dims or turns off to a "Gone" setting, the thermostat goes to "away" mode, the cameras notify to our phones for motion, and the Neato D5 vacuum activates (takes a couple hours to clean the entire house).
• When we come home, the vacuum goes back to base and everything happens in reverse
• Going to bed activates the thermostat, lights, etc
• Alexa is connected to Lutron Scenes for various things (the "Chill" light setting, for instance, turns off the 4000k daylight lights and turns on the warmer 3000k lights dimmed for a more relaxing atmosphere).
dbpaddler likes this.

Last edited by MattHome; 05-06-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-06-2019, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Beautiful!! can u share the plans for that motorized lift? That was awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 Old 05-06-2019, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman2 View Post
Beautiful!! can u share the plans for that motorized lift? That was awesome!
Thanks! It was a whole lot of work and a bit of trial and error because I couldn't find any plans that allowed a projector to come down this far (to keep the fan and give an ideal reflective angle for the ALR screen). Most of the ones I saw just used a linear actuator to push a panel down a foot. Linear actuators are are absurdly loud, slow, don't have adjustable limits, and generally can't push very far without using a pulley system to multiply the linear distance which removes the stability and means you'd still have to use scissors like I did - so it would have been far more expensive than the two $40 motors I used. I don't really have plans written out (just parts receipts and a bunch of idea drawings as I went) so it would take me a long time to lay it all out but I'd be happy to help someone if they're wanting to pull the trigger - it cost me about $400 vs I was seeing into the thousands for lifts strong and large enough for the 4010 that can bring it down 4ft.

It cost more than I was initially expecting, and I think I could shave some money off if I built it again, but it's overbuilt to hopefully last a long time (my torque calcs say it should be able to lift 150lbs or so).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-06-2019, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Super Cool. I really like seeing people engineer for their own needs. I have a question. Does the projector lift up into the attic or does your lift telescope down and back up in between floors?
post #5 of 5 Old 05-06-2019, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbail804 View Post
Does the projector lift up into the attic or does your lift telescope down and back up in between floors?
It's telescoping via a scissor lift type design (using drawer slides as linear slides) and the two white things are straps that twist around a PVC pipe to control the pull up and drop down - I watched a bunch of projector lifts operate and took parts of each design. It retracts up into an insulated box I made (otherwise I'd have 150 degree air from the attic coming into my living room along with insulation and stuff).
Superman2 likes this.

Last edited by MattHome; 05-06-2019 at 06:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
automation , harmony , Home Theater , lutron , projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page