Struggling to pick a UST 1080P Projector for dedicated dark room - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #1 of 35 Old 05-07-2019, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question Struggling to pick a UST 1080P Projector for dedicated dark room

Hello, everyone. This is my first post and I have tried to use the search feature and google to get a straight answer, but I an struggling to pick a good 1080P UST projector.

My Room:
  • 110" Screen Plans (I will buy a fixed screen)
  • Can have almost no light.
  • Low traffic / rarely used room
  • I want to use an UST projector because I do not want to wire an HDMI cable in the ceiling or mount a projector.

What I've looked at:
  • Epson LS100: Seem's highly reviewed, but it's a projector from 2017 and doesn't seem to have come down in price.
  • LG HF85LA: This is LG's 2019 model, but I can't find the input lag for gaming and I can't find anything that makes this better than an older LG.
  • ViewSonic PX800HD 1080p: Not a laser projector, but it had good reviews. I think I'd prefer laser for the bulb life.

I'm leaning towards a laser projector for somewhere around $2,000 USD ideally, but I can't find reliable comparisons in late 2018 or 2019. I'm also not interested in the new 4K projectors as 1080P is good enough for my first home theater setup. I'm just looking to learn which UST projector is being recommended in early 2019.

Thank you for your help.
imhotep6 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 05-07-2019, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You are in a similar situation as I am. I’m leaning towards the LS100. Although I’m also waiting to see what the Optoma P1 will offer when released and its price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matthew Condio likes this.
post #3 of 35 Old 05-07-2019, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 341
I have the px800hd. I believe the lamps cost only about $75. The input lag is 16ms has an rgb rgb color wheel and likely better contrast than the ls100.
There is the ViewSonic LS820 if you have to have laser, but it’s nearly double the price of the px800hd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 05-07-2019, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhotep6 View Post
You are in a similar situation as I am. I’m leaning towards the LS100. Although I’m also waiting to see what the Optoma P1 will offer when released and its price.
I’m not against waiting and may end up doing the same. If nothing good comes out, I might just buy the LS100 due to the good reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
I have the px800hd. I believe the lamps cost only about $75. The input lag is 16ms has an rgb rgb color wheel and likely better contrast than the ls100.
There is the ViewSonic LS820 if you have to have laser, but it’s nearly double the price of the px800hd.
The lamp cost is definitely less than expected. I don’t think I have to have a laser, but if I were to pay these prices in 2019, I feel like I probably should aim for it. Also, the LS820 does look pretty good as well, but did I read that it came out in 2016?

I’m new to ultra short throws, but is it feels like they had a bunch come out in 2016-2017 and then nothing was released until later this year. What happened in 2018? Haha. It just feels to weird to pay nearly full price for 2-3 year old tech.

Thanks to you both for the feedback. I will keep reading and wait to see what happens with these 4K projectors. Perhaps these old 1080P ones will drop in price or a new 1080P affordable option will come out.
post #5 of 35 Old 05-07-2019, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 123
If you can wait, I would. I’ve owned the PX800 HD for 2 years, very solid pj for gaming and TV but blacks not good enough for serious dark room viewing (that’s not why I bought it). The industry is holding its breath for a couple of overdue laser USTs but they will most likely be 4K as that’s what’s selling. Epson is the one I’d watch for...they already have a laser powered contrast monster in the LS10500 and a UST chassis for the LS100...they marry those two it’ll be game over for the competition...it’ll also probably be north of $8K if the LS10500 is any indication. It’s only a matter of time before these show up...in the meantime look up XGIMI, XIAOMI, Viewsonic x1000-4K and Optoma P1 UST laser pjs. Exciting times!
post #6 of 35 Old 05-07-2019, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
I have the px800hd. I believe the lamps cost only about $75.

I paid $60 a few months ago from B&H. The projector was basically new at that point but for the price I decided to pick up a spare just to have it on hand. It's a good thing the bulbs are so inexpensive. I do run mine on Dynamic which is a bit brighter than Rec709 or Movie. The bulb definitely lost some brightness in the first 100-200 hours.

Viewsonic PX800HD | 100” Snowhite UST Screen | Pioneer Elite LX-503 | HDFury Diva | 7.2.4 Surround | Sony Core Series LCR + Atmos | Cambridge Min 12 Side Surrounds | Monoprice Rear Atmos Surrounds | Bic V1020 x2
post #7 of 35 Old 05-08-2019, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2015 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
I know you are set on UST, but as this is your first projector and you are looking at 1080p I would suggest you give a standard throw or a shorter throw projectors another consideration. Hanging a projector or even table mounting and cable running is not that much of a problem. Most people in a dark room don’t want their equipment under the screen or on the front wall as that is a carryover from TV mindset. The lights on the equipment become quite distracting. Projectors can be shelf mounted even on the back wall of a room. With theater sound you have to run speaker wires one way or the other anyway.

Just a thought as yes conventional projection causes some problems with setup but there will be a huge cost savings and possibly improvements in the theater experience.

Bud
post #8 of 35 Old 05-08-2019, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
I know you are set on UST, but as this is your first projector and you are looking at 1080p I would suggest you give a standard throw or a shorter throw projectors another consideration. Hanging a projector or even table mounting and cable running is not that much of a problem. Most people in a dark room don’t want their equipment under the screen or on the front wall as that is a carryover from TV mindset. The lights on the equipment become quite distracting. Projectors can be shelf mounted even on the back wall of a room. With theater sound you have to run speaker wires one way or the other anyway.

Just a thought as yes conventional projection causes some problems with setup but there will be a huge cost savings and possibly improvements in the theater experience.

That’s a good point, the money op would save would likely pay for most of the installation costs if he wanted to pay a professional. UST’s are great for a living room where you might not have the the option of wiring (because of either aesthetics or rental agreement). In a basement, UST’s and the trade offs in performance and the premium price are hard to justify.
bud16415 likes this.
post #9 of 35 Old 05-08-2019, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2015 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Quote:
That’s a good point, the money op would save would likely pay for most of the installation costs if he wanted to pay a professional. UST’s are great for a living room where you might not have the the option of wiring (because of either aesthetics or rental agreement). In a basement, UST’s and the trade offs in performance and the premium price are hard to justify.
I think the UST makers are even designing and marketing them as a TV replacements for living room use. The video someone posted yesterday show a UST laser with some good size speakers built in and it even came with a sub you could sit on the floor beside it. Made me think with the high lumens it was to be somewhat of a stand-alone system for ambient lighting. Just add a tuner, game station and a smart BD player and you are done. In that case it is simple and everything is on the front wall as more of a TV than a theater.

With something like the 1080p Benq or the Viewsonic I have the savings could more than pay for an AVR and speakers, TV tuner and BD player and have a couple hundred left over to hire a handyman to help you hang the projector. I might add I'm very happy with a DIY painted screen wall that works great with standard projection. I think with UST I would want a UST screen and that could be another cost avoidance.

Bud
post #10 of 35 Old 05-08-2019, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Condio View Post
.... I'm also not interested in the new 4K projectors as 1080P is good enough for my first home theater setup. .....
Greetings Matthew.

Not sure if you've seen a good 4k demonstration. I was on the px800 for a few months and quickly upgraded to a cheap chinese made 4k ust for a few dollars more.

While it is true black level performance of dlp is nothing to shout about, and HDR may not be your cup of tea, there's been little discussion of two areas where these 4k units shine:

1. Improved sharpness of upscaled 4k contents on a large screen, especially if using a good source such as a panasonic player,
2. The extra colour gamut can be exploited to show bt709 contents in more exciting fashion. The cheap sony player is particularly good in doing this.

But a word of warning on 4k. It's like opium, there's no going back.

Last edited by qoopy; 05-08-2019 at 10:09 AM.
post #11 of 35 Old 05-08-2019, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post

I had originally thought about mounting a normal projector, but my basement was already prewired with surround sound and unfortunately the inputs for the speakers are in the front of the room. I have a very thin media center in front now that hides all of my devices and cables. I was going to just place the UST on that since I am already cluttering up the front. I also kind of like the idea of not seeing a projector hanging from the ceiling.

All of your points made sense and I had originally thought about them. I'm just semistubborn and think and UST will make my basement look slightly cleaner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qoopy View Post
Quote:
.... I'm also not interested in the new 4K projectors as 1080P is good enough for my first home theater setup. .....
Greetings Matthew.

Not sure if you've seen a good 4k demonstration. I was on the px800 for a few months and quickly upgraded to a cheap chinese made 4k ust for a few dollars more.

While it is true black level performance of dlp is nothing to shout about, and HDR may not be your cup of tea, there's been little discussion of two areas where these 4k units shine:

1. Improved sharpness of upscaled 4k contents on a large screen, especially if using a good source such as a panasonic player,
2. The extra colour gamut can be exploited to show bt709 contents in more exciting fashion. The cheap sony player is particularly good in doing this.

But a word of warning on 4k. It's like opium, there's no going back.[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
I guess I'm not too set on 1080P. Haha. I have been reading about the P1, and if it's only $3k, that sounds like it could be a great deal. I might wait until later summer / early fall to see how the chips fall. I'm impatient, but it is probably the right decision to wait just a few more months.
post #12 of 35 Old 05-08-2019, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked: 1151
I think my biggest concern is that you somehow have this dedicated theater space, which is completely dark, and there is no projector on the market which has the black levels of the Epson 5040 that is UST. There are no 1080p models, there are no 4K models. UST is a tough issue because of the difficulty which can be involved in getting the setup absolutely perfect with a fixed frame screen. You MUST use a fixed frame screen. It must either be designed for UST, or have a very wide field of dispersion so it will look good. Most generic screens actually do look good. (Silver Ticket/SableFrame)

The hard part is that the optics required for the super wide mirror bounce always impacts image quality, and that's just not something that the top-tier projectors want to introduce, so they don't offer it... yet. Or, those that do, have put it at a serious premium.

With the inrush of UST projectors that are really popping up all over the place, you may find one on the market in a few years, but I would probably get the Viewsonic PX800HD right now. It will have contrast similar to what the 4K models will be able to deliver. Maybe better. And it will work well for your setup right now at a reasonable price.

In 5-7 years we will have a much clearer picture of what 4K UST brings to the table and many more options with many more reviews. I would think that $3,000+ projector today will be $1,500 in half a decade, and the new $3,000 models may be far more in line with what a dedicated space deserves.

But, with the issues associated with UST projectors in general, the top-tier manufacturers may never go that route and you may find that you really do want to run HDMI and power to a projector location at the back of the room.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #13 of 35 Old 05-08-2019, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
I think my biggest concern is that you somehow have this dedicated theater space, which is completely dark, and there is no projector on the market which has the black levels of the Epson 5040 that is UST. There are no 1080p models, there are no 4K models. UST is a tough issue because of the difficulty which can be involved in getting the setup absolutely perfect with a fixed frame screen. You MUST use a fixed frame screen. It must either be designed for UST, or have a very wide field of dispersion so it will look good. Most generic screens actually do look good. (Silver Ticket/SableFrame)

The hard part is that the optics required for the super wide mirror bounce always impacts image quality, and that's just not something that the top-tier projectors want to introduce, so they don't offer it... yet. Or, those that do, have put it at a serious premium.

With the inrush of UST projectors that are really popping up all over the place, you may find one on the market in a few years, but I would probably get the Viewsonic PX800HD right now. It will have contrast similar to what the 4K models will be able to deliver. Maybe better. And it will work well for your setup right now at a reasonable price.

In 5-7 years we will have a much clearer picture of what 4K UST brings to the table and many more options with many more reviews. I would think that $3,000+ projector today will be $1,500 in half a decade, and the new $3,000 models may be far more in line with what a dedicated space deserves.

But, with the issues associated with UST projectors in general, the top-tier manufacturers may never go that route and you may find that you really do want to run HDMI and power to a projector location at the back of the room.
I sadly only have 172" from front wall to back wall. As a result, even if I run wires, I imagine the projector would be right above our heads and it would be quite loud. By moving the projector to the front of the room, I avoid that.

If you think 172" is enough, I could put a shelf on the wall behind me, place the projector, and then run 20-21 feet of HDMI to the front of the room.

I do like your suggestion of the cheaper 1080P model to start and then see where we stand in a few years. I did plan to buy a fixed screen, but wasn't going to buy one specifically for UST since I didn't plan on watching content when the lights were on.

Am I completely insane? Also, thanks so much for talking through all of this with me.
post #14 of 35 Old 05-08-2019, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked: 488
172" is over 14' so even a large projector like the Epson 4000/4010/5040/5050 would easily give you a 120" Diag screen and you could even opt for the "e" model with wireless HDMI. These will blow any UST projector out of the water, are quiet and don't require an expensive screen in a dedicated room.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #15 of 35 Old 05-08-2019, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
I sadly only have 172" from front wall to back wall. As a result, even if I run wires, I imagine the projector would be right above our heads and it would be quite loud. By moving the projector to the front of the room, I avoid that.

If you think 172" is enough, I could put a shelf on the wall behind me, place the projector, and then run 20-21 feet of HDMI to the front of the room.

I do like your suggestion of the cheaper 1080P model to start and then see where we stand in a few years. I did plan to buy a fixed screen, but wasn't going to buy one specifically for UST since I didn't plan on watching content when the lights were on.

Am I completely insane? Also, thanks so much for talking through all of this with me.
You are not the only one struggling... we are all waiting for more options with laser UST to come out this year. You have plenty of distance, I only had 10 feet to work with with when I had front projector, but I got rid of it, got tired of noise above my head as well long wires among other things. Most people who recommend front projectors here don't take into account aesthetics and small spaces. Even if Epson 5xxx is the quietest projector it's gigantic (have it at work) and it would have been an eye sore for something like a small living room. If you have dedicated HT room certainly I would just wire a front projector and call it good, but going with UST for a small space like mine was an ultimate choice.

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #16 of 35 Old 05-09-2019, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
172" is over 14' so even a large projector like the Epson 4000/4010/5040/5050 would easily give you a 120" Diag screen and you could even opt for the "e" model with wireless HDMI. These will blow any UST projector out of the water, are quiet and don't require an expensive screen in a dedicated room.
Thank you for the suggestion. I will keep this in the back of my mind and do some research on the 5450 and the wireless HDMI module. I'm still not super thrilled at the idea of a visible projector over our heads, but I'll at least give it some thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post
You are not the only one struggling... we are all waiting for more options with laser UST to come out this year. You have plenty of distance, I only had 10 feet to work with with when I had front projector, but I got rid of it, got tired of noise above my head as well long wires among other things. Most people who recommend front projectors here don't take into account aesthetics and small spaces. Even if Epson 5xxx is the quietest projector it's gigantic (have it at work) and it would have been an eye sore for something like a small living room. If you have dedicated HT room certainly I would just wire a front projector and call it good, but going with UST for a small space like mine was an ultimate choice.
I do care about the aesthetics of the room and seeing a projector above the seating area is something I'm not really a fan of. Seeing what UST projectors could look like is what really sold me. I know I'm taking a performance/quality hit, but I think I'll like my end result just a bit more.

I think I may buy the ViewSonic PX800HD since it seems to have pretty good reviews. I'm just suprised that almost no one here seems to be reviewing or owning the newer LG laser USTs. If that 1080P works out, I will upgrade in the future to something like the P1. Now I'll just have to pick a sanely priced screen and call it a day.
post #17 of 35 Old 05-09-2019, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked: 1151
Then build a box around it.

Really, I get that aesthetics can matter. But, this isn't something new that nobody has had an issue with before.

Good projectors, like the Epson 5040, are larger for a reason. They have a much higher grade of system baffling and cooling to help keep fan noise down.

But, you can still take things further by (yes) building a shelf for the projector to sit on, or by building a box that can go around the projector which is painted to match the room. Just don't block the ventilation holes (front/back).

When I do my theater build-out in my home I will likely build the projector into the soffit so it blends.

It's a bit of work to cut down some plywood and get it all screwed together properly and painted to match, but once completed it can blend quite nicely and match the room very well.

We actually had a projector in our family room in our last house, and because it was right against the back wall and up high people often didn't even notice it when they came into the room, even though it was right there against the ceiling.

But, I do understand, and you shouldn't worry to much about it. The Epson 5040, while against your back wall, is about 20" deep (giving a bit of room behind it). That will allow for an image diagonal up to 120" and will look very good on an inexpensive fixed frame screen.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #18 of 35 Old 05-09-2019, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I do care about the aesthetics of the room and seeing a projector above the seating area is something I'm not really a fan of. Seeing what UST projectors could look like is what really sold me. I know I'm taking a performance/quality hit, but I think I'll like my end result just a bit more.

I think I may buy the ViewSonic PX800HD since it seems to have pretty good reviews. I'm just suprised that almost no one here seems to be reviewing or owning the newer LG laser USTs. If that 1080P works out, I will upgrade in the future to something like the P1. Now I'll just have to pick a sanely priced screen and call it a day.
There are plenty of reviews on youtube, that's how I learned about laser UST. If you stick around you'll find that all recommendations here are biased towards regular bulb front projectors which is understandable because there are a lot of options in wide price range where with laser USTs there is only one option that's sold only in Walmart and under $3k for non 4k version. (which is what I had for a few months) Other laser USTs are either for Chinese markets or much more expensive. With LG, Optoma, Viewsonic, VAVA (probably some other ones) that will be slowly changing this year, but pricing is unknown on most. If you want to get cutting edge technology expect to pay up, that's how it is with laser USTs for now.

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #19 of 35 Old 05-09-2019, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion. I will keep this in the back of my mind and do some research on the 5450 and the wireless HDMI module. I'm still not super thrilled at the idea of a visible projector over our heads, but I'll at least give it some thought.

UST is not perfect aesthetically either.
I would buy a desk or credenza with a large hutch for the back of the room, hide the projector in the cabinet part of the hutch when NOT in use.
I would also buy an electric screen and pay an installer to recess it into the ceiling, or otherwise just install it normally.

You only open the hutch doors when the PJ is NOT in use. You might need to mod the hutch slightly to get some fans blowing in there.
You can also just find a hutch where the PJ fits tight, but then pull the projector out by making a sliding cabinet rail setup.

You will also have to build a mounting platform if going with a DLP, but it's easy. Epsons are an option too, but many are too large.
You could install AC infinity fans from Amazon... Make sure your head can clear the image though, depends on length of room, but you can find some pretty tall hutches.
Run the cabling under a throw rug, or pay a pro installer to do it through the conduits.

That is how I would do it if aesthetics were #1 priority, I certainly wouldn't use a UST.

Another way is to get a coffee table in the middle of the room that has doors, and hide a short throw (not UST), and put weights in the coffee table so it's unmovable (so no-one can bump it).
Problem with that is of course just depends on the room and you have to find the right size table.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 05-09-2019 at 07:39 AM.
post #20 of 35 Old 05-09-2019, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

I do appreciate everyone's feedback, but my room already has a nice media center in the very front which houses all of my electronics. The front of my room is also where all of my audio hookups are for the speakers (it's literally in the front wall under the screen). Even I were to go with a traditional throw projector, I would still have to wire everything to the very front and hide it with a media center.

I'm really just looking for a good UST projector to set on the top of the media center and a good screen.
  • Projector: I'm leaning towards the ViewSonic PX800HD due to the reviews and price since this is my first projector.
  • Screen: I'm thinking that I can get any fixed screen that will work with an UST projector. Since my basement is dark, I shouldn't need to buy one of the crazy expensive ambient light resistant screens, right?

When I build my next house in 15 years, I will prewire and specifically design a room that is perfect for a traditional throw projector. I'm just not there right now, but I do appreciate the suggestions do to the fact that you get much more bang for your buck when it comes to quality. For my current home, UST is really what will work best for the strange way it's wired up.

Thanks again for the feedback. I'm glad I found this forum.
post #21 of 35 Old 05-09-2019, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

In 15 years you won't need to prewire for projectors. They will be long dead by then.

post #22 of 35 Old 05-09-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
In 15 years you won't need to prewire for projectors. They will be long dead by then.
I am not so sure about that, but it is possible.
It's hard to gauge the manufacturing costs of TV's once they get over 100", it's always going to be more problematic at those sizes (storage, shipping, setup, etc...).
The idea of combining multiple smaller panels is possible, but there are so few people that will want to do that, it seems too niche, it's going to take forever.
South Korea, Japan, and China will probably have it way before we do.

post #23 of 35 Old 05-09-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
I do appreciate everyone's feedback, but my room already has a nice media center in the very front which houses all of my electronics. The front of my room is also where all of my audio hookups are for the speakers (it's literally in the front wall under the screen). Even I were to go with a traditional throw projector, I would still have to wire everything to the very front and hide it with a media center.
Viewsonic UST should be ok projector. Read the Amazon reviews. You will need a screen designed for UST.
That said, a regular PJ setup only requires a single small FLAT HDMI cable and a throw rug to hide it, projector only needs 1 cable, but if you really want to go UST, then go for it...

Sample Review from Amazon:
- Great picture quality. I have on 120" screen and it is crisp
- It is truly UST, I have about 11" from screen and it projects 120"
- Although I use in dark room it is very usable in full light situation
- Good screen adjustment for keystone, individual by corner
What I don't like:
- The fan is loud. You will hear it except during action movies or shows.
- This thing is huge...really huge. Definitely not portable
- Speakers are crap
- The focus control is clunky and hard to fine tune

You also have to consider if your room will have white walls, if so you may consider a UST screen with certain attributes that help that.
I don't know much about UST screens, so not going to comment on that.

post #24 of 35 Old 05-09-2019, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

IMHO immersive movie experience will become popular on wireless wearable tech, even today's VR you can get a glimpse of the the future where you can already get immersive movie experience as well as 3d effect, but in 15 years that's plenty of time to improve on resolution, comfort, weight etc... When you will have a choice either to get a projector with all the setup involves or just get VR glasses the choice will be obvious. I am certainly looking forward to next iteration of Oculus Quest type of tech but with 4k or 8k OLEDs in them.

As far as Viewsonic UST, I wouldn't buy it, just look for deals on laser Xiaomi 1080P international model, it's much better option.

post #25 of 35 Old 05-09-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
IMHO immersive movie experience will become popular on wireless wearable tech, even today's VR you can get a glimpse of the the future where you can already get immersive movie experience as well as 3d effect, but in 15 years that's plenty of time to improve on resolution, comfort, weight etc... When you will have a choice either to get a projector with all the setup involves or just get VR glasses the choice will be obvious. I am certainly looking forward to next iteration of Oculus Quest type of tech but with 4k or 8k OLEDs in them.

As far as Viewsonic UST, I wouldn't buy it, just look for deals on laser Xiaomi 1080P international model, it's much better option.
I would buy the LG or Viewsonic before the Xiamoi international model, even though the Xiaomi is a laser. Seems too risky, but I guess if he wants the risk.
It has very little US channel support and few major vendors supporting it AFIK.

post #26 of 35 Old 05-09-2019, 09:35 AM

For the LG --- Input Lag. The measured lag time is 58 ms in all modes.
https://www.projectorcentral.com/LG-...5JA-review.htm

For the Viewsonic --- under 30ms seems to be what some say.

I would probably buy the LG based on the little info we know, but it's hard to say for sure.

post #27 of 35 Old 05-09-2019, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
For the LG --- Input Lag. The measured lag time is 58 ms in all modes.
https://www.projectorcentral.com/LG-...5JA-review.htm

For the Viewsonic --- under 30ms seems to be what some say.

I would probably buy the LG based on the little info we know, but it's hard to say for sure.
Thanks. The LG is what I originally wanted, but it's so hard to compare reviews when they are years apart. I'll be sure to let you all know how the setup works once purchased.

For a dark room, do I need an ALR screen or will a normal fixed frame work? The ALR screens I see online are only 100 or 120", but I was hoping to go to 110". I guess I could try to stretch a 120" screen if I can't find a reasonable 110" one.
post #28 of 35 Old 05-09-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
***From what I've researched, you do not want an electric or roll-down screen for UST. You need a fixed screen to provide the best image. Even if you have a totally dark room - - the angle and display of a UST Projector is much different than a "head-on" front projector. At least that's what I've been told. (Maybe some posters who have a UST Projector can chime in?)

Aesthetics wise, a UST will have a very small footprint on a table or component stand. And it is way more convenient than running wires and anchoring a heavy projector to the ceiling. Plus the setup should be much easier.

Technology wise - - I look at five years as my minimum buying cycle. By then, prices have come down and quality has appreciably gone up. It will be pretty easy to swap out a UST Projector. I have a BenQ W1080ST (Short Throw) projector (1080p) that I never use any more as I have a 75" Sony 900F in my man cave with a full Dolby Atmos system setup. Since I have a smaller room, I had to go with a short throw projector but with the advent of 4K - - I can't find any short throws that are reasonable in price AND are low in weight like the BenQ W1080ST. Plus - I would need to replace my screen as I initially bought a "cheapie" FAVI electronic screen that has crapped out. My interest is in UST's for our next move in two to three years.

My recommendation? Look at the Xiaomi (gee, I wonder if the new tariffs will increase the price) or wait for the Optoma P1 in a couple of months. And - - invest in a quality, fixed screen. And by quality, I don't equate that, totally, with cost. This is an interesting screen from Elite - https://elitescreens.com/front/front...il/product/154. And, I believe there is a company (XY Screens) from China that is more cost effective - http://www.xy-screen.com/xy_en/products/index.asp.

Either way - - I do not think you are going in the wrong direction with a UST 4K Laser Projector. I believe that there will be a tremendous market for this projector technology as it has a lot of benefits over standard projection systems.

Enjoy your journey!

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #29 of 35 Old 05-09-2019, 11:23 AM

Well there is nothing better aesthetic wise than hiding the projector in a hutch combined with an electric dropdown (or similar), hate to say.
The second best thing is hiding a projector in a coffee table, but that is harder to do to find the exact table that works (and fan noise can be an issue).
UST is only the third best thing aesthetic wise.
Fourth best thing is hiding projector in a bookshelf or similar.

Last is ceiling mounting.

I personally hate ceiling mounting lamp based projectors, but don't mind it for a laser.
Who wants to keep taking the projector down every time to change a lamp, not I.

I always shelf mount every projector, including a DLP.
Besides, you can even shelf mount a DLP without making a mounting plate, you just have to be creative and a rubber thing to hold it correctly.

I really don't think UST accomplishes what people think it accomplishes, only if there is NO other choice.

post #30 of 35 Old 05-09-2019, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
Well there is nothing better aesthetic wise than hiding the projector in a hutch combined with an electric dropdown (or similar), hate to say.
The second best thing is hiding a projector in a coffee table, but that is harder to do to find the exact table that works (and fan noise can be an issue).
UST is only the third best thing aesthetic wise.
Fourth best thing is hiding projector in a bookshelf or similar.

Last is ceiling mounting.

I personally hate ceiling mounting lamp based projectors, but don't mind it for a laser.
Who wants to keep taking the projector down every time to change a lamp, not I.

I always shelf mount every projector, including a DLP.
Besides, you can even shelf mount a DLP without making a mounting plate, you just have to be creative and a rubber thing to hold it correctly.

I really don't think UST accomplishes what people think it accomplishes, only if there is NO other choice.

***I think you're selling UST technology short. It's in its infancy but it will get much better in the coming years.

I understand your point about the electric screen "drop-down." It's still involves mounting the screen and it still is visible, albeit not as much as a fixed screen. And personally - - I want as much air circulation around my UST Projector. You can always place a vase of flowers in front of it but honestly, the footprint is so small that I don't think it's worth it.

I always wondered, though, if you could place a retractable "picture" that slides over the fixed screen. But then again - - it would have to be a major landscape picture for a 100" or 120" 16 X 9 screen. But again - - my TV room, my man cave is my entertainment area and while aesthetics are a consideration, it's not as important as screen size and ease of deployment. And for a common, dual purpose living room - - the aesthetics can be managed quite nicely with a UST Projector & fixed screen. Just as long as people don't think the screen is a "whiteboard" that can be written on!

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
projector , ultra short throw , ust

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page