Which better IYO? HT2050a HC2150 HD27HDR TH671ST - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By rekbones

post #1 of 7 Old 05-08-2019, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Which better IYO? HT2050a HC2150 HD27HDR TH671ST

Hello everyone, I'll buy a projector for the first time (I'm newbie) and investigating on this great forum and other sites, I have come to limit my options to 4 (under $900), the room where I want use it sometimes I can control the ambient light and others don't, considering a minimum screen between 110" to 120" at a maximum distance of 15 feet (11-12 would be perfect) and to be used to see anime (mainly), movies and play some videogames (input lag is not a problem), all this over PC:

-Epson Home Cinema 2150: It would be my best option IMO because has higher luminance level than the BenQ HT2050a. Has high contrast and good color level; It is true that you need more maintenance because it is LCD but it will not be annoying (just cleaning/changing the filter from time to time, right?).

-BenQ HT2050a: Considered by many the best Pj by price range, color level and highest contrast. Second option due to less luminance and cost/life of the bulb.

-BenQ TH671ST: I have less information about this Pj, "similar" to the BenQ 2050a... With higher brightness and more videogames oriented.

-Optoma HD27HDR: Also not much information on this Pj, is the cheapest, highest brightness, highest bulb life, HDR, 120Hz mode (idk if this can or not be an advantage watching anime/movies/streaming or only for videogames).... It sounds nice but it is my last option because I just saw a review in YT and them showed it with a game that in quick movements is noticeable a very pronounced rainbow effect, idk if the effect is exaggerated by the camera, poor configuration or because it was applied the mode [email protected] (German language Review). Also mentioned in this forum about the noise that makes the wheel of color and other minor issues.

All this just based IMO, on info that I found in this forum and the web, comparing manufacturer's specs... I hope that you could me help with your opinion to decide the best of the 4, as well as the best screen color (white or gray) for your choice, or another Pj (under $900) that I could have omitted. I'm sorry about my bad English. Which one would you choose? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-08-2019, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked: 493
If you are struggling with ambient light we due often suggest LCD and the 2150 might be a good option. If you don't mind buying refurbished the Epson 3100 is under your budget, has more lumens, better contrast and a large amount of lens shift for very easy setup.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 7 Old 05-08-2019, 11:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Add substantially better black levels when you do have light controlled to the perks of the 3100 or even 3000. I regret replacing my 3000 with a BenQ TK800, even though the BenQ was a review sample freebie.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-09-2019, 12:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvaltz View Post
Hello everyone, I'll buy a projector for the first time (I'm newbie) and investigating on this great forum and other sites, I have come to limit my options to 4 (under $900), the room where I want use it sometimes I can control the ambient light and others don't, considering a minimum screen between 110" to 120" at a maximum distance of 15 feet (11-12 would be perfect) and to be used to see anime (mainly), movies and play some videogames (input lag is not a problem), all this over PC:

-Epson Home Cinema 2150: It would be my best option IMO because has higher luminance level than the BenQ HT2050a. Has high contrast and good color level; It is true that you need more maintenance because it is LCD but it will not be annoying (just cleaning/changing the filter from time to time, right?).

-BenQ HT2050a: Considered by many the best Pj by price range, color level and highest contrast. Second option due to less luminance and cost/life of the bulb.

-BenQ TH671ST: I have less information about this Pj, "similar" to the BenQ 2050a... With higher brightness and more videogames oriented.

-Optoma HD27HDR: Also not much information on this Pj, is the cheapest, highest brightness, highest bulb life, HDR, 120Hz mode (idk if this can or not be an advantage watching anime/movies/streaming or only for videogames).... It sounds nice but it is my last option because I just saw a review in YT and them showed it with a game that in quick movements is noticeable a very pronounced rainbow effect, idk if the effect is exaggerated by the camera, poor configuration or because it was applied the mode [email protected] (German language Review). Also mentioned in this forum about the noise that makes the wheel of color and other minor issues.

All this just based IMO, on info that I found in this forum and the web, comparing manufacturer's specs... I hope that you could me help with your opinion to decide the best of the 4, as well as the best screen color (white or gray) for your choice, or another Pj (under $900) that I could have omitted. I'm sorry about my bad English. Which one would you choose? Thanks
A video or still camera will show rainbows if the shutter speed is too high and this shouldn't be a problem when viewed directly.

In the deals found forum (above) the Viewsonic Px-747 seems like a very good deal.

We have two 3LCD PJs and a DLP PJ in our vaction home and the DLP is clearly superior in the lower price ranges to which all 3 belong, being much sharper with better motion handling, and better contrast and it's always a treat to spend time with it. Of your listed choices I would probably go with the HT2050a with the HD27HDR 2nd. I don't doubt that the HC2150 would be a good choice as well but I have no doubt that the DLP PJs will seem much sharper and the actual contrast differences between them will be minor.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-09-2019, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 182
When you throw the refurb 3100 into the mix, I don't think you'll beat it on contrast/blacks or brightness... and I honestly had no complaints with my 3000's sharpness even compared to the 4K DLP I have now. Add in the placement flexibility provided by the generous zoom (120" anywhere from 11.5' and 19') and lens shift and I don't really think it can be beaten under $800. I'm honestly tempted to try to sell my TK800, even with market price dropping, and pick up a new refurb 3100... it's that noticeable of a difference in black levels.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
post #6 of 7 Old 05-10-2019, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post
When you throw the refurb 3100 into the mix, I don't think you'll beat it on contrast/blacks or brightness... and I honestly had no complaints with my 3000's sharpness even compared to the 4K DLP I have now. Add in the placement flexibility provided by the generous zoom (120" anywhere from 11.5' and 19') and lens shift and I don't really think it can be beaten under $800. I'm honestly tempted to try to sell my TK800, even with market price dropping, and pick up a new refurb 3100... it's that noticeable of a difference in black levels.
I’ve been thinking of doing the same. I love my HT2050, but I would like just a touch better black levels. My grey screen helps some with this, but it’s still not where I want it to be.

What I don’t want to give up is sharpness and motion handling. I sit about 8’ away from 106”. Admittingly I’ve never had an LCD projector, so I really don’t have a means of comparison.

My other reservation with Epson is the recent complaints of their refurb quality control.

Any word of a successor to the 3100/3700 line? Even at the refurb prices, if there’s a 4K variant on the horizon I can wait to upgrade to something better.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-10-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post
I’ve been thinking of doing the same. I love my HT2050, but I would like just a touch better black levels. My grey screen helps some with this, but it’s still not where I want it to be.

What I don’t want to give up is sharpness and motion handling. I sit about 8’ away from 106”. Admittingly I’ve never had an LCD projector, so I really don’t have a means of comparison.

My other reservation with Epson is the recent complaints of their refurb quality control.

Any word of a successor to the 3100/3700 line? Even at the refurb prices, if there’s a 4K variant on the horizon I can wait to upgrade to something better.
I doubt you would like the 3100/3700 better then your 2050. It's native contrast is lower then the 2050 only it dynamic contrast is better due to its iris. It also as higher pixel gap so SDE is an issue. Of the comments I have read from people who have had them side by side most liked the BenQ better. If you need a light cannon and/or significant lens shift then the 3100 is a winner.
Radio81 likes this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq , epson 2150 , Optoma , under $1000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page