Wanting to get the biggest image from a sub-$3k projector.. does it matter? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By rekbones
  • 1 Post By AV_Integrated

post #1 of 11 Old 05-09-2019, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Wanting to get the biggest image from a sub-$3k projector.. does it matter?

I have a wall that is 15'10" across and 9' high (with 3 inch baseboards on the floor). The projector can be 15'2" at the furthest distance (minus the length of the projector). I'm really not good at this so as far as I can tell with the Epson 5050UB that I was looking to buy or the older 4050UB, the biggest size screen I can get is 133 inches or so. With the Optoma UHD60.. it's similar.

Not wanting to buy a short throw projector, am I limited to this 130-140 inch range on the "go to" choices for a projector around $2500?

Thanks.. sorry if this is the wrong place or this has been asked before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-09-2019, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Here is someone posted that 49cm will give you 150" but you can go beyond it:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/3043204-xiaomi-mijia-laser-projector-4k-version-4k-resolution-launched-16.html#/topics/3043204?page=46
post #3 of 11 Old 05-09-2019, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 5
With Optoma UHD50 you can have an image 11'-8" wide, 6'-7" high, 161" diagonal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-09-2019, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked: 547
The BenQ 3550 can throw a 170" diag screen from 14' lens to screen. Not sure the actual depth of the projector but this should be in the ball park. That's over 12' wide by almost 7' high so it won't fill your wall. I can't imagine you would possibly want anything bigger in that small of a room and you still need room for speakers
msankadi likes this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS

Last edited by rekbones; 05-09-2019 at 07:51 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-09-2019, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses. I guess it's projector dependent which seems kind of surprising to me when it's not specifically short throw or long throw style projectors (in laymans term). I'd think all the projectors that are "normal" would have similar projection size.

The BenQ 3550 is intriguing but I have a bright room and read I should get at least 4000 lumens but.. can't win em all so guess I'll have to see what I can trade off.

Thanks for all the help guys!
post #6 of 11 Old 05-10-2019, 12:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked: 547
It sounds like your not familiar with projectors at all. First no projector on the planet will work well in a "bright" room as ambient light needs to be controlled to some extent especially with the screen size your talking about. High lumen projectors are generally data grade/business class projectors unless you get into the large venue type of projector that are not even close to your price range. An Epson 1060, A 1080p LCD projector has a somewhat shorter throw then most and is very high in lumen but is really a data grade projector with much lower contrast that all higher lumen projectors in this price range suffer from. Don't know what your expectations are and what you are really describing as a bright room but the room is the biggest consideration in projector choice and screen size.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #7 of 11 Old 05-10-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1616 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieKU View Post
...but I have a bright room...
Oh, then you are confused... You want a TV.

This is a regular statement by people who think that physics somehow is something that they can avoid because it is their home. Like commercial movie theaters suddenly have white walls, beige carpet, and white ceilings... with large windows.

I mean this mostly in jest, but if you want to make a home theater using front projection, you need to deal with the ambient light in your room FIRST.

Getting a really good projector, like the Epson 5050, then putting it into a terrible room will give you terrible results. That's just reality.

You may have a viewable image, but contrast will be poor, and with a larger than typical screen size (161" is 77 square feet of screen space, vs. 120" which is 43 square feet), you will be needing every lumen the projector can deliver in as dark of a room as possible.

You can do front projection with some lights on, you can even have a so-so room, but it isn't ideal, and you have to accept that image quality will be limited to the quality of the room.

The two biggest improvements anyone can make to a room come from good blackout shades and a few gallons of dark paint on the walls and ceiling. That $500-$1,000 spent can make a $1,000 projector look better than a $3,000 projector in an untreated room.
msankadi likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-10-2019, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 2128 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
Some projectors have HT in their model number meaning home theater. If you go to any projector manufactures home page they have some selection thing to click on Business/Home Theater. There is a reason for this.

Home Theaters are assumed to be dark, have no windows and are treated with dark materials and paints.

Business and Classroom projectors it is assumed the setting will be less than ideal and they know dark blacks are out of the question so they don’t worry about it and pump up the lumens and colors to do the best they can with a less than perfect room.

If somehow by magic they could provide theater performance in a classroom setting the world would beat a path to their door. But physics wont allow for that just the same as water wont run up hill or cars can’t be powered by perpetual motion devices. It is the science of projection. If you have a room that wont support front projection then you need a display like a flat TV that will.

Yes you can make a projector work and work better with some light and for a lot of people it works good enough. The outcome will always be worse than it would be in a better room. If you have a room that’s like a classroom you might as well save your money and buy a business projector. I ran one at home for 3 years and I was happy enough. All the features that make a HT projector good are there with the assumption the room is good also.

Bud
post #9 of 11 Old 05-10-2019, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
Thanks for all the responses. I guess it's projector dependent which seems kind of surprising to me when it's not specifically short throw or long throw style projectors (in laymans term). I'd think all the projectors that are "normal" would have similar projection size.

The BenQ 3550 is intriguing but I have a bright room and read I should get at least 4000 lumens but.. can't win em all so guess I'll have to see what I can trade off.

Thanks for all the help guys!

What do you mean when you say bright? Where is the light source coming from? I have seen folks with side source light using ALR type grey screens like the Cinegrey 5D with good results, but if the light source is from behind, that won't work. In any case, as others have said, if you want to use a projector in the daytime you will need some form of light control in the form of shades, blinds, blackout curtains, etc. Also, even if a projector can cover the size of screen you want, it's like you said, you need lots of lumens if you want a good picture. I do believe the HT5550 has been shown on a 160" screen with good results, so it can definitely be done, but again, in a very light controlled environment.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-10-2019, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
What do you mean when you say bright? Where is the light source coming from? I have seen folks with side source light using ALR type grey screens like the Cinegrey 5D with good results, but if the light source is from behind, that won't work. In any case, as others have said, if you want to use a projector in the daytime you will need some form of light control in the form of shades, blinds, blackout curtains, etc. Also, even if a projector can cover the size of screen you want, it's like you said, you need lots of lumens if you want a good picture. I do believe the HT5550 has been shown on a 160" screen with good results, so it can definitely be done, but again, in a very light controlled environment.
Snarky responses aside, yes, I'm ok with diminished quality during the day when I'm at work most of the time and on the off chance I'm at home, I'll be ok watching CNN w/ worse picture. At night, when I'll be fine with drawing the blinds that are complete blackout, the 5050 or any other projector works great because my room is pitch black.

Now, that doesn't take into account my white walls but I can't paint them as this is a rental so if projector decision needs to take account the color of the wall, please let me know. Otherwise, I'm sure I can live with the result.

Thanks a bunch.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-10-2019, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
Snarky responses aside, yes, I'm ok with diminished quality during the day when I'm at work most of the time and on the off chance I'm at home, I'll be ok watching CNN w/ worse picture. At night, when I'll be fine with drawing the blinds that are complete blackout, the 5050 or any other projector works great because my room is pitch black.

Now, that doesn't take into account my white walls but I can't paint them as this is a rental so if projector decision needs to take account the color of the wall, please let me know. Otherwise, I'm sure I can live with the result.

Thanks a bunch.

No snarkiness intended!

I have light colored walls and white ceiling and they don't bother me much, but I do have black velvet on the walls around the screen to help with contrast, so that might be something you would want to consider as well. I just used some black thumb tacks to hold the fabric on the wall, so it's a very renter friendly way to go if you want to get a decent picture but don't want to paint the ceiling and/or walls. The 5050UB or the HT5550 would both be great choices in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	2565088   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190413_082016.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	976.0 KB
ID:	2565090   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190413_082202.jpg
Views:	23