• 1 Post By arrakian

post #1 of 11 Old 05-13-2019, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
New Optoma Projectors?

Hi all,
Has anyone heard of a replacement for the UHD60? I see they’re discontinued at Best Buy. Epson, BenQ and others have new stuff, so I figured Optoma is busy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-15-2019, 12:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Haven't heard any info regarding new optomas.
But I guess they will release a new lineup replacing the UHD -series with the new updated 0,47 DMD chip later this year or early 2020
post #3 of 11 Old 05-15-2019, 01:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 388
I've been wondering about that myself. 2018 was apparently a very good commercial year for Optoma (according to the Sony 4K presentation at IFA... ), so I'd find it somehow hard to believe if they had no interest to further their success this year or leave the pole position in DLP technology voluntarily to their competitor BenQ...

Personally, I'd be hoping they'd work on a UHD DLP front projector with true lens shift and installation flexibility like BenQs HT5550 / W5700 but their recent focus on ultra short throw projectors isn't exactly a confidence booster.

P.S. Good thread idea, should anything pop up, I'm certain we'll be reading it here, first.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-03-2019, 02:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Perhaps in 9 days we are all going to know a lot more...

https://www.infocommshow.org/

Next Wednesday the exhibit of InfoComm 2019 will open in Orlando, Florida and Optoma (Booth # 3833) and Vivitek (Booth # 929) will be there.

So any AVS members attending please interrogate both Optoma and Vivtek for their upcoming front projector plans - and use any means necessary:

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #5 of 11 Old 06-03-2019, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Great news, Frank714. I’m patiently waiting. 😊
post #6 of 11 Old 06-12-2019, 02:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

First InfoComm 2019 DLP front projector press release has arrived from Vivitek, alas, no announcement of new consumer DLP projectors.

https://www.projectorcentral.com/news_story_2284.htm

However: Vivitek will showcase its projection technology with a 360-degree edge-blend display consisting of 15 projectors that circles the interior of its booth

Wow, reminds me of the good old InfoComm "Projector Shootout" days, where most manufacturers contributed their front projectors...

Maybe one of these 15...

UPDATE: According to ProjectorCentral one of these is a 4,500 lumen Full HD laser projector for 2,499 $ that also supports 3D, the Vivitek DH3660Z...

https://www.projectorcentral.com/inf...vivitek_dh3660

Here is the InfoComm 2019 press release from Viewsonic:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/news_story_2283.htm

Now, where is the press release from Optoma?

Last edited by Frank714; 06-12-2019 at 10:14 AM.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-12-2019, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was afraid of this:

https://www.prweb.com/releases/optom...eb16370749.htm

Excerpt: A highly-anticipated home cinema projector, the smart 4K UHD laser and ultra short throw Optoma CinemaX P1 will also be on display in a home cinema vignette, showcasing incredible 4K UHD projection alongside impressive smart functions and voice control.

I, for one, was "highly anticipating" a new non-UST home cinema projector.
jpbonadio likes this.

post #8 of 11 Old 06-12-2019, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

I still have hope. The summer's just starting.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-13-2019, 12:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ Yes, one also has to bear in mind that InfoComm rather focuses on large venue projectors than home theater and that Optoma already announced its P1 UST projector at ISE in Amsterdam for the second quarter of 2019.

Still, the latest BenQ DLP projectors have the potential to attract owners of Optoma DLP projectors, so I would have thought that Optoma provides some, even little information whether they got something comparable in the pipeline for later 2019 or not.

One thing I find rather odd, is the lack of further information regarding their "(CinemaX) P1" project. AFAIK there are only two official images of the P1 but none which reveals how and where to hook up this projector.

It almost looks as if Optoma decided to bring it to InfoComm to test spectator interest, "highly anticipated" sounds rather exaggerated and IMHO rather has characteristics of PR bull.

post #10 of 11 Old 06-13-2019, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
Still, the latest BenQ DLP projectors have the potential to attract owners of Optoma DLP projectors.
I have been eyeballing these and the new Epsons. 👀
Frank714 likes this.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-14-2019, 01:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrakian View Post
I have been eyeballing these... 👀

Same here. I for one would be hoping for Optoma's equivalent of the BenQ HT5550 (W5700), i.e. a DLP projector with a true and wider range lens shift, but featuring Optoma's established PureMotion Frame Interpolation, that can also be applied to 3D program content (AFAIK currently not possible with the BenQs) and the addition / comeback of the Vesa "3D Sync" port for 3D-RF glasses use (considering that Optoma's cheap HD27 projectors still feature that port, it should be possible that new and sophisticated DLP projector models can have it, too).

Another feature I always thought to be a clever idea, was Optoma's digital image shift, i.e. you could shift the wider 2.35:1 image content electronically up or down on the 16:9 DMD chip, facilitating the use of 2.35:1 screens and/or bringing 2.35:1 images closer to your speakers to reduce the 'acoustic' gap created by letterbox bars...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page