Strange lights outside the frame, Optoma HD29 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-14-2019, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Strange lights outside the frame, Optoma HD29

Hi everyone,

I wonder if you have seen anything like this outside the picture of a DLP projector, in this case, an Optoma HD29Dupree (attached, the image is upside down for some reason, but it shouldn't matter).

It's darker than the black of the image but still pretty noticeable in a dark room. Did something happen to the projector or is it just normal? Doesn't seem normal to me...

BTW, Optoma UK hasn't replied to my support request for 3 weeks now, is that also normal?

Thanks,

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190424_213927.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	639.3 KB
ID:	2566722  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-15-2019, 04:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gergely Bényi View Post
Hi everyone,

I wonder if you have seen anything like this outside the picture of a DLP projector, in this case, an Optoma HD29Dupree (attached, the image is upside down for some reason, but it shouldn't matter).

It's darker than the black of the image but still pretty noticeable in a dark room. Did something happen to the projector or is it just normal? Doesn't seem normal to me...

BTW, Optoma UK hasn't replied to my support request for 3 weeks now, is that also normal?

Thanks,

Greg
I had nearly the same problem with a new Digital Projection model.

The DMD chip had somehow become misaligned in shipment causing some stray light to be reflected from the DMD assembly.

It was a rather expensive model and Digital Projection gave me an option of shipping me a new unit or sending a technician to my home to repair it.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-15-2019, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
I had nearly the same problem with a new Digital Projection model.

The DMD chip had somehow become misaligned in shipment causing some stray light to be reflected from the DMD assembly.

It was a rather expensive model and Digital Projection gave me an option of shipping me a new unit or sending a technician to my home to repair it.
Thank you for your reply! This sounds serious, but I don't understand how the misalignment wouldn't affect the picture itself which does not show any kind of distortion or artifact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-15-2019, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Thank you for your reply! This sounds serious, but I don't understand how the misalignment wouldn't affect the picture itself which does not show any kind of distortion or artifact.
I can't say for certain as I opted to receive a new replacement unit. But, I believe it was a very small misalignment of the chip where the angle of the chip relative to the focus of the light source/light path reflected some light from the metal surround of the chip body. I did not notice any real distortion or artifact of the image itself. In fact the image was quite clean save for the kind of "light halo" spilling over the side of the screen.

I sent photographs of the problem, very similar to your photo, to Digital Projection and the dealer that I purchased it from. It was interesting as the problem would be view-able from the left or right side of the screen if the projector was inverted or placed upright on it's feet, indicating it was something inside the unit. In other words, the problem was on the left side of the screen if the projector was inverted, ceiling mounted, and on the right side of the screen if the projector was table mounted.

I don't think it was probably too serious as Digital Projection was willing to send a technician to my home to repair it. Digital Projection seemed to think that the circuit board or chip had become unseated via rough handling during shipment. They were confident that the repair would take less than 1 hour to preform. I opted to receive a new unit as I was concerned that something else might popup down the road. This was all taken care of by phone calls so again, I can't say for certain what the problem was. But, my projected image problem looked very much like yours.

post #5 of 6 Old 05-23-2019, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
I can't say for certain as I opted to receive a new replacement unit. But, I believe it was a very small misalignment of the chip where the angle of the chip relative to the focus of the light source/light path reflected some light from the metal surround of the chip body. I did not notice any real distortion or artifact of the image itself. In fact the image was quite clean save for the kind of "light halo" spilling over the side of the screen.

I sent photographs of the problem, very similar to your photo, to Digital Projection and the dealer that I purchased it from. It was interesting as the problem would be view-able from the left or right side of the screen if the projector was inverted or placed upright on it's feet, indicating it was something inside the unit. In other words, the problem was on the left side of the screen if the projector was inverted, ceiling mounted, and on the right side of the screen if the projector was table mounted.
This is good information, thank you! I will check if turning the projector upside down confirms your diagnosis. Too bad that Optoma still hasn't responded to my support request after almost a whole month...
post #6 of 6 Old 05-23-2019, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 3537 Post(s)
Liked: 2728
Quote:
... Too bad that Optoma still hasn't responded to my support request after almost a whole month...
Don't sit back and wait a month for a response. Your request may be lost in the system. You clearly have what appears to be a legitimate warranty issue. Be persistent in your request for some kind of response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page