Recommendation for a bright room, 150"~ screen? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By FreddieKU
  • 1 Post By klas
  • 1 Post By tom0
  • 1 Post By rekbones
  • 1 Post By jsm88

post #1 of 7 Old 05-15-2019, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Recommendation for a bright room, 150"~ screen?

https://i.imgur.com/PBa9XXT.jpg

That's how bright it will be when watching it sometimes.

I work from home and while most of the time will have CNN or something playing on one of my computer monitors, I may on occasion play something on the projector (futbol match or whatever). I do not care that it will be pretty washed out during the day because I only care about optimal viewing at night. At night, my apartment can be pitch black (sans the white walls and ceiling but can't do anything about that). I value size of picture the most, then picture. Yes, wild I know.

With these things in mind.. can you guys recommend a good projector? I have 15'4" from opposing wall to screen so pretty good distance. The screen wall is 15'11". Ceiling is 9 feet high.

Thanks in advance for the oft asked question.
jsm88 likes this.

Last edited by FreddieKU; 05-15-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-15-2019, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Depends on your budget. I do that too sometimes just move ust projector where i work and play sports/news in the background. This is what it looks like without any screen or blackout during daylight.

https://youtu.be/LxVcQWSiFBg

Edit: For daylight viewing I usually make image size around 80", but for night viewing blow it up 150" easily.
monakh likes this.

Last edited by klas; 05-15-2019 at 08:00 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-15-2019, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Nice!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-15-2019, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm currently using an Epson 5050UB in my family room theater with 140" screen. The room is surrounded by windows and during the day it's pretty washed out but definitely watchable. Much better than other projectors I've tried. At night it's awesome.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-15-2019, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Depends on what you are willing to compromise on, and how much you want to spend.

Decreasing the amount of ambient light by half is a lot cheaper than buying a projector that is twice as bright. Brightness, contrast, price, pick 2. A 150" screen is quite large. Most projectors cannot project a useful image of that size with that much ambient light. Regardless of the projector you choose, if you project a smaller image during the day, it will be a lot brighter and a lot less washed out. Then you don't need so many lumens, and you can still project a 150" image when it is dark.

If daylight viewing is important to you, Epson LS100 might be worth considering. It has a lot of lumens for a projector under $3000, and it uses laser. With laser, you do not need to spend money on replacement lamps, and you won't have to deal with lamps dimming towards end of their life. Most other projectors use lamps, with expected life between 3000-5000 hours. This life is based on how long it usually takes for a lamp to become half as bright. If you need as many lumens as possible, you might need to change lamps even sooner.

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Eps...tor-review.htm
https://hometheaterreview.com/epson-...ector-reviewed
https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-screen-review

Pros:
* 4850 lumens in Dynamic Mode
* laser light engine lasts 20,000+ hours
* UST (ultra short throw)
* fan noise is a non-issue, because projector is placed close to the screen, and far from viewers
* you can pair it with an UST ALR screen, which is expensive but makes a big difference with ambient light

Cons:
* projected image can be no larger than 135" 16:10 (130" 16:9)
* 1,030:1 on-off contrast is less than other popular HT projectors like Epson 5040UB
* not 4K
FreddieKU likes this.

Last edited by tom0; 05-15-2019 at 08:08 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-15-2019, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked: 477
The Epson 1060 is one of the most recommended high lumen projectors. It has a fairly short throw so can put out a large image from a shorter distance then most, has $50 replacement lamps and costs about $500 us.
Dave in Green likes this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #7 of 7 Old 05-16-2019, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
FWIW, I just saw a deal offer for the Viewsonic 747PX-4k on one of the big online stores for under 1k. Curious I clicked over here for reviews, saw just a post announcing it (with no replies) and your post atop the thread. Serendipity. Anyway - I, having long learned from AVS that I can't have ideal picture quality in a light painted room - have also taken to preferring a significant size over the last 5% of picture quality. I run a 144" screen. It has been shot by the various top of the line epsons and panasonic's that fall in this forums price range - most recently the ae8000. While they've all claimed 2k+ lumens I've never been entirely satisfied with daytime performance.

If this thing can really shoot 3500 lumens it might be just what you're looking for - keeping in mind that your white walls do limit nighttime performance anyway. I sometimes feel like the folks with blacked out screening rooms evangelize perfect black level performance to the rest of us so that we'll keep demanding it and the manufacturers will keep competing on it, even though we never actually see the benefits. I respect that, but it might be worth considering given your use-case.
FreddieKU likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page