AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/)
-   -   4K projector for living room under $1500 (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/3068210-4k-projector-living-room-under-1500-a.html)

aggie98 05-18-2019 10:34 AM

4K projector for living room under $1500

Howdy! I currently have an Epson 2150 in my living room and am looking to make the jump to 4K. Most of my viewing is in the evening when it isn’t quite as bright outside and my blinds do a decent job of blocking light that is near the screen and I run the Epson in cinema mode on Eco with satisfactory results. The Epson 5040UB is too bulky for my location (suspended in the middle of a vaulted ceiling) so I am looking for something somewhat small.

Screen size: 110” 1.3
Distance to screen 12.5’
Current PJ: Epson 2150 in cinema mode with Eco turned on

Options:
Benq HT3550 - Concerned it isn’t bright enough in eco mode
Benq TK800M - I like this one but will spend the extra on the HT3550 if it is bright enough to have the other features
Viewsonic PX747-4K or PX727-4K

So my real question is will the HT3550 be bright enough for viewing with ambient light?
Thanks,
Aggie98

rontalley 05-18-2019 06:40 PM

Refurb 747 for $670. I purchased it but then canceled the order because from my understanding, the colors are not that great and it would have been too bright for my light controlled space. I am waiting for the HT3550 but might go back and order the 747 and just play around with the settings until its good enough...

https://www.viewsonic.com/us/outlet/...x747-4k-s.html

sage11x 05-18-2019 07:36 PM

4K projector for living room under $1500

Close call. The Epson 2150 is quite bright despite it’s lumen rating.

The HT3550 can stand up to some ambient light in normal or smarteco lamp. In eco you’d really want a dim to dark room. The HT3550 is the best looking 4K projector in this price range but it’s definitely not intended to be a bright room hero. It’s the only DLP at this price with an iris to improve blacks and it’s wide color filter gives it better color performance than projectors costing literally thousands more.

The TK800M will be even brighter than your 2150. I reviewed the original TK800 and I came away impressed with it’s output. This is a projector clearly designed for living room duty where ambient light will be a concern. Obviously, it won’t have the same picture quality chops as the HT3550– but then, if you can’t control light in your room, ultimate picture quality is likely not the primary concern. A bright, punchy image probably is.

BenQ has teased an as-yet-unannounced bright room version of the Ht3550. We can speculate such a model would not have the same color quality as the Ht3550 but should retain most of if not all of the HT3550’s features. No idea when we’ll see such a model as benQ is still trying to meet demand for the HT3550.

JRock3x8 05-19-2019 04:15 AM

I think the throw on all those pjs except the ht3550 is too long for your room. Check that out before you buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aggie98 05-19-2019 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sage11x (Post 58067196)
Close call. The Epson 2150 is quite bright despite it’s lumen rating.

The HT3550 can stand up to some ambient light in normal or smarteco lamp. In eco you’d really want a dim to dark room. The HT3550 is the best looking 4K projector in this price range but it’s definitely not intended to be a bright room hero. It’s the only DLP at this price with an iris to improve blacks and it’s wide color filter gives it better color performance than projectors costing literally thousands more.

The TK800M will be even brighter than your 2150. I reviewed the original TK800 and I came away impressed with it’s output. This is a projector clearly designed for living room duty where ambient light will be a concern. Obviously, it won’t have the same picture quality chops as the HT3550– but then, if you can’t control light in your room, ultimate picture quality is likely not the primary concern. A bright, punchy image probably is.

BenQ has teased an as-yet-unannounced bright room version of the Ht3550. We can speculate such a model would not have the same color quality as the Ht3550 but should retain most of if not all of the HT3550’s features. No idea when we’ll see such a model as benQ is still trying to meet demand for the HT3550.

Sage11x,
The fact that the Epson is bright despite it's lumen rating is exactly why I was asking the question. It does great in my living room even on Eco mode. The fact that I am always in Eco mode is what makes me think I might be able to get by with the HT3550, but I suspect I will still go with TK800M just to be on the safe side.

All that being said, it is hard to pass up $675 for the Viewsonic refurb.

m0j0 05-19-2019 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie98 (Post 58070502)
Sage11x,
The fact that the Epson is bright despite it's lumen rating is exactly why I was asking the question. It does great in my living room even on Eco mode. The fact that I am always in Eco mode is what makes me think I might be able to get by with the HT3550, but I suspect I will still go with TK800M just to be on the safe side.

All that being said, it is hard to pass up $675 for the Viewsonic refurb.

I have an Optoma UHD60 for sale in the classifieds for 900. I would recommend something like that over the Viewsonic.

aggie98 06-23-2019 05:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sage11x (Post 58067196)
Close call. The Epson 2150 is quite bright despite it’️s lumen rating.

The HT3550 can stand up to some ambient light in normal or smarteco lamp. In eco you’️d really want a dim to dark room. The HT3550 is the best looking 4K projector in this price range but it’️s definitely not intended to be a bright room hero. It’️s the only DLP at this price with an iris to improve blacks and it’️s wide color filter gives it better color performance than projectors costing literally thousands more.

The TK800M will be even brighter than your 2150. I reviewed the original TK800 and I came away impressed with it’️s output. This is a projector clearly designed for living room duty where ambient light will be a concern. Obviously, it won’️t have the same picture quality chops as the HT3550– but then, if you can’️t control light in your room, ultimate picture quality is likely not the primary concern. A bright, punchy image probably is.

BenQ has teased an as-yet-unannounced bright room version of the Ht3550. We can speculate such a model would not have the same color quality as the Ht3550 but should retain most of if not all of the HT3550’️s features. No idea when we’️ll see such a model as benQ is still trying to meet demand for the HT3550.

Reviving this and adding a picture of the space. The picture is at 5pm on a sunny day. Does this change the recommendation of the TK800/TK800M or would it switch to the 3550?

I am fine not having deep blacks during the day, as most of my movie watching is after the kids are in bed and it’s dark, but would like to have a decent picture after dark.

Thanks,
Brian

carlb1 06-27-2019 04:35 AM

I just picked up an epson 5040 refurb for 1151 dollars. Very nice projector great picture. 2 year warranty and free bulb if you get it b4 end of month.

jwheeler 06-27-2019 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlb1 (Post 58231698)
I just picked up an epson 5040 refurb for 1151 dollars. Very nice projector great picture. 2 year warranty and free bulb if you get it b4 end of month.

From where?

aggie98 06-28-2019 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlb1 (Post 58231698)

While that is a great pj and an awesome price, that thing is a beast and unfortunately I would have serious issues mounting it. My space is my living room and the pj is suspended from a vaulted ceiling so I need something size wise comparable to my existing Epson 2150.

Right now I think I have narrowed my choices down to the UHD50, TK800M, TK800, and the PX747-4K. The reviews on the UHD50 have been great but lumens wise it is low compared to the others.

carlb1 06-28-2019 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwheeler (Post 58232606)
From where?

direct from epson

carlb1 06-28-2019 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie98 (Post 58235428)
While that is a great pj and an awesome price, that thing is a beast and unfortunately I would have serious issues mounting it. My space is my living room and the pj is suspended from a vaulted ceiling so I need something size wise comparable to my existing Epson 2150.

Right now I think I have narrowed my choices down to the UHD50, TK800M, TK800, and the PX747-4K. The reviews on the UHD50 have been great but lumens wise it is low compared to the others.

I used this shelf mount and its a perfect fit.
https://www.amazon.com/OmniMount-ECS...55977880&psc=1

sage11x 06-28-2019 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie98 (Post 58235428)

In that room, if that is indeed how you plan to watch (with that much ambient light), I would recommend a bright room model like the BenQ TK800M or even a 1080p model like the Epson 3700.

Unless you want to invest in an ALR screen you probably need to take a brute force approach here. Either of the above projectors should be able to produce a nice bright image even in a room like that.

As far as the 4K DLP options, the TK800M is the only bright model I know of that has moved to the newer generation DMD (without the light border) so unless you can get a significant discount on an older model (like the original TK800 or PX747) I’d recommend it. BenQ dialed back he zoom capability a bit from the first model but everything else— color, contrast and sharpness— appears to be better.

aggie98 06-30-2019 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sage11x (Post 58235578)
In that room, if that is indeed how you plan to watch (with that much ambient light), I would recommend a bright room model like the BenQ TK800M or even a 1080p model like the Epson 3700.

Unless you want to invest in an ALR screen you probably need to take a brute force approach here. Either of the above projectors should be able to produce a nice bright image even in a room like that.

As far as the 4K DLP options, the TK800M is the only bright model I know of that has moved to the newer generation DMD (without the light border) so unless you can get a significant discount on an older model (like the original TK800 or PX747) I’d recommend it. BenQ dialed back he zoom capability a bit from the first model but everything else— color, contrast and sharpness— appears to be better.

Sage11x,
That’s exactly the response I was hoping to get out of the original question, basically confirmation that the TK800M is what I needed. While I might get an ALR screen down the line if I can convince my wife to let me have a fixed frame screen, it might be awhile. Thanks again!