Searching for a projector under 1.300 euros for photographic studio - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-31-2019, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Searching for a projector under 1.300 euros for photographic studio

Good morning everyone. I have read many times the interesting post on this forum, and I wanted to ask some questions because now it's my turn to buy a projector, finally.
I'm a photographer, and I will use my white photographic background as a screen for this projector, because I want to show to my clients my photos and videos on a bigger screen than the pc. I had many expense in this months, so I can't spend much money on a projector.
I will use it in a not-so-bright part of the studio, a t around 4 meters from the ptoho background, and while we're at it I wanted to watch as many movies and tv series as possible when I close the studio and want to relax.
I read many good things on the new Benq TK800M. Is it the best option at this price? I think I'll connect to it a Nvidia Shield to play Netflix and so on, along with streaming my photos and videos from the p using it.
So please, could someone with a kind heart help me to choose among all this projectors?
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-31-2019, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Nobody can help me?
post #3 of 9 Old 05-31-2019, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Hi,

what's the size of that white surface you'll be projecting on? What kind of surface is it? What are the colors of the walls and ceiling in this studio?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-01-2019, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by descalabro View Post
Hi,

what's the size of that white surface you'll be projecting on? What kind of surface is it? What are the colors of the walls and ceiling in this studio?
Thanks for the answer.
The size of the surface will be 2 meters large (the height doesn't matter, as my background roll is 2 meters per 11 meters). The projector will be put behind me on a high shelf at a distance of around 4 meters. There will be a yellow wall on the right, and nothing on the left.
I'm attaching a photo, sorry for the mess but I'm renovating my studio. The background roll will cover the bricks wall when I unroll it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2019-06-01_11-56-40.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	2574418  
post #5 of 9 Old 06-01-2019, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3578 Post(s)
Liked: 2767
There are three basic projector technologies -- LCoS, 3LCD and DLP. LCoS models are more expensive and out of your price range so that leaves 3LCD and DLP. Each has a different balance of pros and cons. Generally speaking at the 1,300 Euro price point 3LCD has an advantage if there is any ambient light in the room and DLP has an advantage in the dark. If there will be any lighting in the room when viewing then 3LCD might be the best choice.

Epson is by far the leading manufacturer of 3LCD projectors and the EH-TW6700 seems to fit your needs very well in terms of budget and performance. It's very bright and colorful and is used by many people with some ambient light in the room. It's very flexible in terms of placement with a 1.6x zoom lens as well as both horizontal and vertical lens shift. For long term use Epson has the least expensive genuine replacement lamps in the industry.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-01-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
There are three basic projector technologies -- LCoS, 3LCD and DLP. LCoS models are more expensive and out of your price range so that leaves 3LCD and DLP. Each has a different balance of pros and cons. Generally speaking at the 1,300 Euro price point 3LCD has an advantage if there is any ambient light in the room and DLP has an advantage in the dark. If there will be any lighting in the room when viewing then 3LCD might be the best choice.

What is the advantage DLP projectors have in the dark? Contrast? Black levels? Isn’t it possible to get a better performance from LCD even at this budget?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 9 Old 06-01-2019, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Epson had refurbished 6040 or something like that in their website a few weeks ago for $1500 if I am not mistaken .

LG OLED C8 65 2018 , LG SL 10YG SoundBar. HT: JVC RS2000, Studio Tek 130 1.3 Gain Sscreen, Apple TV4k, Def Tech 9080/9060 Dolby Atmos Speakers, Denon X6500H , Oppo203 and a nagging wife.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-01-2019, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post

Epson is by far the leading manufacturer of 3LCD projectors and the EH-TW6700 seems to fit your needs very well in terms of budget and performance. It's very bright and colorful and is used by many people with some ambient light in the room. It's very flexible in terms of placement with a 1.6x zoom lens as well as both horizontal and vertical lens shift. For long term use Epson has the least expensive genuine replacement lamps in the industry.
Thanks. In these weeks I searched on the internet, and apart for a Xgimi H2 wich at 899 euros it's very interesting, I was looking also at the new Benq W1720, which I could buy at 1300 euros on Amazon Italy. These two projectors are DLP. I'll use the fifty fifty with light and dark.
As I said, I'll place it in a more darker part of the room, but obviously in the morning there will be a bit of light, as I can't stay with lights shut off with my clients. But in the evening I would like to use it to watch movies etc.
I will look for this EH-TW6700, thanks
post #9 of 9 Old 06-01-2019, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3578 Post(s)
Liked: 2767
Quote:
Originally Posted by descalabro View Post
What is the advantage DLP projectors have in the dark? Contrast? Black levels? Isn’t it possible to get a better performance from LCD even at this budget?
You can read any of the many comparison reviews of lower cost 3LCD and DLP projector models at projectorcentral.com for a more detailed explanation of why they generally recommend DLP over 3LCD in the dark and 3LCD over DLP in ambient light. This applies to less expensive 3LCD models and not to Epson's more expensive models with Ultra Black panels that are excellent in a dark theater setting.

Basically single-chip DLP has a technical advantage of being inherently sharper than three-panel 3LCD because there are no convergence issues with a single chip. On the other hand 3LCD has a technical advantage of always producing equal color and white lumens even in brightest mode whereas in brighter modes DLP sacrifices color lumens to produce more white lumens. So DLP is at its best in the dark when in dimmer modes producing equal color and white lumens whereas 3LCD can do so even in brightest mode to help offset ambient light. Of course this is a generalization and not everyone will agree with it. Some people prefer DLP even in ambient light and are willing to sacrifice brighter colors for brighter whites.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page