Suggestions for a replacement projektor with 4k shift from my old Benq W5000 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-31-2019, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Suggestions for a replacement projektor with 4k shift from my old Benq W5000

I had my old faithfull Benq W5000 for around 10 years now. Its soon time to replace the lamp once again, and i am starting to thinking about replacing it.

I mostly use the projector every day for watching netflix, hbo , and other tv shows, and blurays.

I have a room that has no windows light, and i have black curtains on the walls, but the roof is light. So its a farly dark cave, but not perfect.

I am thinking about getting myself a replacement , but I am not 100% sure yet, because there is a jungel, if i want to keep my budget under 2500 -3000 usdollars i have looked at a few replacements but hope someone has some recomandations.

1. First question is will it be a noticable wow effect if i upgrade from my old projector , i guess 4k shift edge will get me a little have any body upgraded and tought wow?

2. I have a 92" screen, so i was considering downgrading to a tv screen instead around 82" as a option also? Will a tv be better than a projector?

3. I have been looking at the new Benq w2700 /HT3550 that looks a little good , but i also read that its not so good for a bat cave? And some said it was really bad contrast wise for a bat cave compared to the Epson 9400/HC 5050UB , but the epson is almost double the price in Norway. So will it bee that much differece? Is there other good options in the price range around the Benq w2700 to consider?

4. I see its a cheeper benq 1700 /Ht2550 also, is that last years model perhaps?

5. I was thinking about not going all in for the Epson 9400 price tag, and take somthing in the middle, and then spend more when 4k native comes down to a more normal price. But i have the money for the epson 9400 also, but would it be twice as good. heheeh..

Hope sombody have any recomandations and advice or have upgraded from a similar old projector and has some toughts on that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-31-2019, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yes. Dont think about 4k. Get a good 1080 like Sony hw 45es. Much much better than the w5000 where it counts most. Black colour contrast and brightness and fairly cheap. Good 90 inch picture for sure.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-01-2019, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Martin Teigen View Post
I had my old faithfull Benq W5000 for around 10 years now. Its soon time to replace the lamp once again, and i am starting to thinking about replacing it.

I mostly use the projector every day for watching netflix, hbo , and other tv shows, and blurays.
Sound like we are in the same boat. I have exactly the same projector (i've had it over 10 years also) and situation. I also still use my projector almost daily, when ever I have time for that.

Quote:
I have a room that has no windows light, and i have black curtains on the walls, but the roof is light. So its a farly dark cave, but not perfect.
Again pretty much the same kind of room here. I have good curtains so that I can darken my room even during sunny summer days, it is not a bat cave during day but well dark enough for fully enjoying movies.

Quote:
I am thinking about getting myself a replacement , but I am not 100% sure yet, because there is a jungel, if i want to keep my budget under 2500 -3000 usdollars i have looked at a few replacements but hope someone has some recomandations.
I've been thinking this for years but I prefer DLP and so far every every year it has been disappointment to see there is not much progress in the consumer DLP at reasonable price range but I could pay some more if I found projector that would be satisfying in every way.

Quote:
1. First question is will it be a noticable wow effect if i upgrade from my old projector , i guess 4k shift edge will get me a little have any body upgraded and tought wow?
From what I've seen some 4K demos in projectors, they look better but no huge difference in good blu-ray but 4K is definitely something I'd like my next projector or what ever is replacing it to have. Also we must consider that consumer DLP are pseudo 4K, so they will be somewhat lacking compared to real 4K panels. I personally appreciate sharp and scaling defect free image and I'm not that sure I would really like these "4K" DLP's.

Quote:
2. I have a 92" screen, so i was considering downgrading to a tv screen instead around 82" as a option also? Will a tv be better than a projector?
My screen is about 95"-96", so again the same conditions. I've been also considering 85" TV's but while they almost all are real 4K screens and in many way better than projectors (some of them can have real HDR and so on) I'm afraid I would lose that movie theatre feeling because TV's are bright enough to use with lights on and probably due to laziness I would watch it with lights on and curtains open... So I don't know I want to risk that. Also there are some practical reasons I would not like huge TV, due to some furry family members that like sharpen their claws on the TV screen and LCD and OLED screen surfaces do seem rather delicate to me, since there are some evident of scratches even on my current plasma TV with solid glass surface.

Quote:
3. I have been looking at the new Benq w2700 /HT3550 that looks a little good , but i also read that its not so good for a bat cave? And some said it was really bad contrast wise for a bat cave compared to the Epson 9400/HC 5050UB , but the epson is almost double the price in Norway. So will it bee that much differece? Is there other good options in the price range around the Benq w2700 to consider?
I decided to pass W2700 because it has not real lens shift range that allows me to place projector right side up on the high shelf behind the sofa like my current W5K is placed. Also W2700 seem to be assembled in data projector case so it is likely loud and also since it is prismless design due to small lens shift range it will show possible dust that enters in the light engine very clearly on the screen. From my past experience with couple prism design DLP's with decent lens shift never really suffered from that while every pj without that suffered (I've had several projectors before my current one).
I rather not touch LCD's and even SXRD's I think JVC would be the only that I would seriously consider due to less possibility to suffer from panel aging. But possible three panel alignment issues and such really makes me want to avoid those. Also I prefer DLP's high ansi contrast ratio. For me LCD's and SDXR's I've seen look a bit washed out compared to DLP even those usually have much better absolute black level but they do lack that punch in brighter scenes that DLP gives you.

Quote:
4. I see its a cheeper benq 1700 /Ht2550 also, is that last years model perhaps?
I would not personally even consider that one, unless getting 4K (pseudo) is the main reason.

So my post isn't really helping you.
Anyway, currently I've been considering W5700 since it has lens shift range similar to W5K but other than that now when first real reviews are out, it seems rather disappointing otherwise. Especially hearing problems with IRIS and bad contrast ratio/black level it is starting to sound like I'm back sitting on the fence and waiting for miracle. Also it is looking like this in not at the same level in build quality as W5K makes me wonder I want to go with it. Just look at the weight of the unit. Plus from what I've heard about IRIS, it sounds like it is mechanically no where near advanced as the one used in this ancient W5K.

Last edited by Big Lebowski; 06-01-2019 at 05:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page