Looking to upgrade from Epson 3700 to 4k - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-03-2019, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Looking to upgrade from Epson 3700 to 4k

I feel like the Epson 3700 is nearly impossible to replace. The 3700 can emit nearly 3500 lumens on its brightest setting. I keep it on medium, but that’s still around 2300 lumens. I’m using it in a large living room. Wife’s only request is that the replacement is just as bright. She uses it with the lights on and it’s as bright as our last tv. Here’s what I’m looking for:

2200 measured lumens on medium or low
4k 60hz hdmi 2.0
Frame interpolation
Plenty of vertical shift (I have 10’ ceilings)
Replacement bulb isn’t $400

Last edited by yakapo; 06-03-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-03-2019, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1616 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
How large is your screen and how far away are you from it? It is very unlikely you will get a significant jump going to 4K in a room of this type.

One of the biggest claimed benefits of 4K comes from HDR, which isn't going to offer the same punch that a flat panel can deliver, especially in a family room setup.

Resolution only matters when you start inching forwards of about 9" of diagonal for each foot of viewing distance, then it's not a night and day difference.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-03-2019, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
How large is your screen and how far away are you from it? It is very unlikely you will get a significant jump going to 4K in a room of this type.

One of the biggest claimed benefits of 4K comes from HDR, which isn't going to offer the same punch that a flat panel can deliver, especially in a family room setup.

Resolution only matters when you start inching forwards of about 9" of diagonal for each foot of viewing distance, then it's not a night and day difference.
The screen is 92”. The projector is about 15’ from the tv. The couch is also about 15’ away. However, when I watch football or basketball, I sit much closer. Of course I can’t watch sports in 4k yet. Ok you convinced me, I don’t need a 4k projector. I’ll wait a few years and get a bigger screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-03-2019, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 113
You could get a no compromise 85" flat panel. If it's not in a theater setting I don't see the advantage of projection under 100".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page