Name all 4k DLP's that have a Dynamic Iris - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 3 Post By coderguy
  • 1 Post By Dave in Green
  • 1 Post By sage11x
  • 1 Post By sage11x
  • 1 Post By Dave in Green
  • 1 Post By dreamer

post #1 of 17 Old 06-07-2019, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
Name all 4k DLP's that have a Dynamic Iris

Since we know the dimmer technology (other than on LASER) doesn't usually work as good as an old school DI...

I'll start...

Benq ht3550
Benq ht5550
Benq ht8050 (this model said to have issues with DI)
Benq ht8060
JVC DLP LX-UH1

I'll leave it to others to add the rest...
Maybe some Acers and Viviteks?

(yes, I know these aren't native 4k projectors, since no native 4k DLP's yet)
sage11x, noob00224 and Mike Butny like this.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 06-07-2019 at 05:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-07-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 2636 Post(s)
Liked: 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
Since we know the dimmer technology (other than on LASER) doesn't usually work as good as an old school DI...

I'll start...

Benq ht3550

Benq ht5550

Benq ht6050

Benq ht8050 (this model said to have issues with DI)

Benq ht8060

Benq ht9060

JVC DLP LX-UH1

I'll leave it to others to add the rest...

Maybe some Acers and Viviteks?

(yes, I know these aren't native 4k projectors, since no native 4k DLP's yet)

I think your list is too long. I think it’s actually:
UH1
HT3550
HT5550
HT8060

The HT6050 is not 4K and didn’t have the best reputation for it’s iris (lots of pumping). Either way it’s HD and it’s discontinued.

The HT9060 does not have an iris but does feature BenQ’s ubiquitous SmartEco dimming through it’s LEDs.
https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...jector-review/

I don’t think the BenQ HT8050 had an iris either. At least, it’s big brother the HT9050 didn’t. Again, both of those models are discontinued.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-07-2019, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I think your list is too long. I think it’s actually:
UH1
HT3550
HT5550
HT8060

The HT6050 is not 4K and didn’t have the best reputation for it’s iris (lots of pumping). Either way it’s HD and it’s discontinued.

The HT9060 does not have an iris but does feature BenQ’s ubiquitous SmartEco dimming through it’s LEDs.
https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...jector-review/

I don’t think the BenQ HT8050 had an iris either. At least, it’s big brother the HT9050 didn’t. Again, both of those models are discontinued.
ht8050 has a Dynamic Iris according to ProjectorReviews.com.
I removed the ht9060 and the ht6050, and ht9050.

"With the dynamic iris on, the HT8050 produces some very respectable black levels. " --- ProjectorReviews.com
https://www.projectorreviews.com/the...ter-projector/

Not worried about which projectors are out of production, just want a completed list of all 4k projectors with a DI.

Last edited by coderguy; 06-07-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 06-08-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3578 Post(s)
Liked: 2768
Complete list including models that are out of production would be useful to anyone shopping used projectors.
sage11x likes this.
post #5 of 17 Old 06-08-2019, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Complete list including models that are out of production would be useful to anyone shopping used projectors.

The man. The myth. The legend!
How’s it going Dave?

Yeah that makes sense. It wasn’t clear to me the intent. Although even counting discontinued models their is only one projector on the list not being sold today: the Ht8050.

I didn’t remember the HT8050 had an iris but then that projector didn’t get much press. I knew the 9050/9060 didn’t have an iris because there have been plenty of reviews. The Ht6050 is HD so I don’t think he wants to count that.

Hopefully we’ll see more DLP manufacturers start to incorporate a DI going forward. It makes a significant impact on the HT3550 and HT5550.
Dave in Green likes this.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #6 of 17 Old 06-11-2019, 05:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Hopefully we’ll see more DLP manufacturers start to incorporate a DI going forward. It makes a significant impact on the HT3550 and HT5550.

While I'm confident that the implementation of dynamic iris is apparently the way to provide much needed improvement for DLP typical lackluster native contrast, the question foremost on my mind is whether the other DLP competitors are up to it.

The above list suggests that BenQ is currently the leader in terms of 4K UHD with DI, because it's the only manufacturer offering these...

IMHO, we need more context, i.e. which other DLP manufacturers did implement dynamic iris operations in recent Full HD (only) projectors (and how did these perform?) to get a better understanding what to realistically expect from the others.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #7 of 17 Old 06-11-2019, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked: 492
My Mitubishi HC7900 has a dynamic iris and I think it works extremely well as I keep it on its max setting. The Optoma 8300 and 8600 also had a dynamic iris and I believe it also worked well. Mits is out of the business and Optoma hasn't implemented a DI in any of its under $3k projectors to my knowledge.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #8 of 17 Old 06-11-2019, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
My Mitubishi HC7900 has a dynamic iris and I think it works extremely well as I keep it on its max setting. The Optoma 8300 and 8600 also had a dynamic iris and I believe it also worked well. Mits is out of the business and Optoma hasn't implemented a DI in any of its under $3k projectors to my knowledge.

The DI on my Optoma HD83(00) is okay but both or DI DLPs are now a decade old.

Is DI something new for BenQ or did they use it on previous models and therefore do they have a headstart in terms of practical experience the others would have to catch up with?

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #9 of 17 Old 06-11-2019, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
The DI on my Optoma HD83(00) is okay but both or DI DLPs are now a decade old.

Is DI something new for BenQ or did they use it on previous models and therefore do they have a headstart in terms of practical experience the others would have to catch up with?

It’s pretty new for them.

The discontinued HT6050 has an auto iris but it’s reputation (the iris not the projector) was pretty poor. The few reviews I read complained about lots of pumping. Apparently the HT8050 had one too but projectorcentral must not have thought much of it (the iris not the projector) because they didn’t even mention the iris in their review.

It should be mentioned that both of these models were pretty pricey— initially, at least— with the HT6050 carrying an MSRP or $3799 and the HT8050 carrying an MSRP of $7999 back when it launched. From the little research I’ve done into this subject the only brand consistently offering projectors with DI for less than $3k is Epson (DI is offered on Epson’s starting with their $700 home cinema 2150). So this isn’t just something new for BenQ but also something new for DLP in general.
Frank714 likes this.

post #10 of 17 Old 06-12-2019, 02:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So this isn’t just something new for BenQ but also something new for DLP in general.

IMHO more like a comeback, considering DLP projectors with a dynamic iris did exist a long time ago.

Should be interesting to see whether Optoma, Acer, Vivitek etc. acknowledge the native contrast deficiencies of the latest XRD DMDs and follow BenQ's lead.

As for myself I'm pretty confident I'll be needing a DLP projector with a dynamic iris and will probably give the next coming models a wide berth unless a DI is part of the package.

post #11 of 17 Old 06-12-2019, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
IMHO more like a comeback, considering DLP projectors with a dynamic iris did exist a long time ago.

Should be interesting to see whether Optoma, Acer, Vivitek etc. acknowledge the native contrast deficiencies of the latest XRD DMDs and follow BenQ's lead.

As for myself I'm pretty confident I'll be needing a DLP projector with a dynamic iris and will probably give the next coming models a wide berth unless a DI is part of the package.

Sorry, what I meant was DLP projectors specifically in this sub-$3k price range. All of the old DLPs I found with an iris started north of $3k.

It’s too late now but I would have loved to see a premium version of the BenQ HT2050/3050 with an iris back in the day.

post #12 of 17 Old 06-12-2019, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5236 Post(s)
Liked: 5488
There are 2 companies that designed quality DLP DI's quite a few years ago. I have a Planar .95 DC4 from ~2008 and the Sharp 30K (.65 DC3) from 2012, both with very good DI. They are both quiet, effective (as much as possible for a DLP's constrained native contrast) and most important not noticeable in action.

The iris in the BenQ W7000 was noisy (had several copies) and had noticeable pumping and wasn't really effective in helping with the elevated black floor in low APL scenes.

even today reading about the JVC DLP with noticeable pumping and some of the BenQ XPR DLP's models as well (+ grinding noises)

I would think after 10+ years of other co's nailing down the tech for a good DLP DI, it would have trickled down to this price point by now.
post #13 of 17 Old 06-12-2019, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Also the Mits hc8000, even though you didn't like it in your setup, but the contrast was pretty high if you could take the rainbows. The Runco / Planar / Marantz were the best overall as far as DLP that weren't exorbitantly overpriced (though some of these were overpriced at times), but there were some pricier older DLP's that even had higher contrast than those models. It was so long ago, I forget all the model numbers at this point.

The $2,500+ Benq's have had Irises for a long time, even the Benq w5000 released in 2008 had a DI. The w6000 did, the w7000, the w7500, and on and on...
Benq's DI was ok, about average, but only after tweaking in the service menu. Tweaking it is however no fun, as it was really hard to setup.

However, any DLP with sub-1000:1 on/off is going to have visible pumping. If you really want to see a bad DI, then some of the early Acer models were about as bad as it gets. You could cause less pumping by simply manually moving a filter in front of your face on and off. Oh and some of the early Sanyo LCD projectors were just as bad, but they were improved in later models.

post #14 of 17 Old 06-14-2019, 02:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I have a Planar .95 DC4 from ~2008.

AFAIK the DarkChip 4 was introduced at the end of 2007 and featured an improvement in contrast of approx. 30%. So Texas Instruments had been on a good path but for reasons I wouldn't know apparently abandoned it.

post #15 of 17 Old 06-14-2019, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3578 Post(s)
Liked: 2768
Quote:
AFAIK the DarkChip 4 was introduced at the end of 2007 and featured an improvement in contrast of approx. 30%. So Texas Instruments had been on a good path but for reasons I wouldn't know apparently abandoned it.
I think it's pretty safe to assume that the reason TI abandoned DLP contrast improvement is that they technically couldn't make it happen at a price that customers would be willing to pay.
sage11x likes this.
post #16 of 17 Old 06-15-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
I think it's pretty safe to assume that the reason TI abandoned DLP contrast improvement is that they technically couldn't make it happen at a price that customers would be willing to pay.

From what I remember, the fabled DC4 amounted to a handful of cherry picked DC3s.

It is possible for DLP to display impressive contrast/blacks. After all, my local IMAX employs a pair of proprietary 4K, laser powered, ‘open frame’ 3-chip DLP projectors to power one enormous 60ft tall screen and the contrast/blacks are outstanding. But comparing a consumer DLP— even a high end DLP— to that behemoth is a bit like comparing a Volkswagen to the space shuttle. They just exist in two different realities.

Last edited by sage11x; 06-15-2019 at 07:56 AM.
post #17 of 17 Old 06-16-2019, 04:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
While I'm confident that the implementation of dynamic iris is apparently the way to provide much needed improvement for DLP typical lackluster native contrast, the question foremost on my mind is whether the other DLP competitors are up to it.

The above list suggests that BenQ is currently the leader in terms of 4K UHD with DI, because it's the only manufacturer offering these...

IMHO, we need more context, i.e. which other DLP manufacturers did implement dynamic iris operations in recent Full HD (only) projectors (and how did these perform?) to get a better understanding what to realistically expect from the others.
A DI seems like a poor solution to me. Any DI is crudely adjusting the illumination of the entire image rather than pixel-by-pixel, and trying to use image processing the brighten the pixels it doesn't want to darken to compensate for lowering the entire light level.

Using a second DMD and short focal length internal lens to focus a monochrome image as the light source hitting the main DMD would achieve pixel-by-pixel light valving. A two-chip DLP could make the blacks 100 times darker while not dimming the bright areas at all. A real 100,000+:1 contrast ratio for both ANSI and FOFO with DLP. Unfortunately, no manufacturers seem to want to try this for the home theater market. If it was done well, it could achieve nearly OLED contrast on a 150" image and still be in this sub-$3K class.
Frank714 likes this.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page