Advice on Dual Purpose projector - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 06-10-2019, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Advice on Dual Purpose projector

Looking for some advice on a dual purpose projector. My budget should be right around $500. Looking to use it in the home theater 90% of the time and moving it to the backyard every now and then for a pop up outdoor movie. I will be using this 110" screen:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The home theater viewing will be about 14 feet from the screen and I'll be looking to hang the projector from the ceiling. Lighting in the basement is minimal most of the time but my 5yo can get nervous in the dark every now and then. I've got two window well windows down there along one wall on the right side but one is quite far behind the seating so I doubt it will have a lot of impact. That being said, I'd like to have a projector that will work with the lights on if possible. That may not be realistic in this price range but, better to ask now than later.

The outdoor viewing will be in the backyard. Pretty standard I suppose for a pop up movie night. If it were more permanent, I'd put more into it but, as it stands now, I'll be splitting the audio and video using:

I'm using an old Sony 5.1 receiver that doesn't have HDMI inputs. Gotta use what's available sometimes. For the time being I'll run it with a phantom center channel. This is for the neighborhood kids and they aren't too discerning when it comes to sound. With a 5yo, bed times are pretty early. It doesn't even get totally dark around here until 9pm so movie times may be around or before dusk at times. Again, back to looking for a projector that can handle less than pitch black settings.

I've looked at a ton of projectors. I've tried to read up on a lot of threads here. It seems like the lumen ratings on these things are guess work at best. Does it seem like my needs can be met within my price range? Just laying out the costs at this point and buying everything except the projector to start with. I've now got nearly everything. I just need some speakers for outside and some speaker wire and I'll be all set. I do need to sell the wife on the projector however. If I can get one projector to pull double duty it will help things. If that one projector can be used in moderately bright environments, even better. If it's a perfect picture at noon with the sun shinning on the screen, my needs are more than met. Just not sure it can be done at this price.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Edit: I know I need to be realistic and the $500 is a general price. I can probably bump that up but not much more than $700 if I want to remain married (which I do).

Edit #2 : I should mention I know little to nothing about projectors other than what I've gathered in preparation for this projector. That may already be apparent.

Last edited by GoNavyLP; 06-10-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-10-2019, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNavyLP View Post
Looking for some advice on a dual purpose projector. My budget should be right around $500. Looking to use it in the home theater 90% of the time and moving it to the backyard every now and then for a pop up outdoor movie. I will be using this 110" screen:

The home theater viewing will be about 14 feet from the screen and I'll be looking to hang the projector from the ceiling. Lighting in the basement is minimal most of the time but my 5yo can get nervous in the dark every now and then. I've got two window well windows down there along one wall on the right side but one is quite far behind the seating so I doubt it will have a lot of impact. That being said, I'd like to have a projector that will work with the lights on if possible. That may not be realistic in this price range but, better to ask now than later.

The outdoor viewing will be in the backyard. Pretty standard I suppose for a pop up movie night. If it were more permanent, I'd put more into it but, as it stands now, I'll be splitting the audio and video using:

I'm using an old Sony 5.1 receiver that doesn't have HDMI inputs. Gotta use what's available sometimes. For the time being I'll run it with a phantom center channel. This is for the neighborhood kids and they aren't too discerning when it comes to sound. With a 5yo, bed times are pretty early. It doesn't even get totally dark around here until 9pm so movie times may be around or before dusk at times. Again, back to looking for a projector that can handle less than pitch black settings.

I've looked at a ton of projectors. I've tried to read up on a lot of threads here. It seems like the lumen ratings on these things are guess work at best. Does it seem like my needs can be met within my price range? Just laying out the costs at this point and buying everything except the projector to start with. I've now got nearly everything. I just need some speakers for outside and some speaker wire and I'll be all set. I do need to sell the wife on the projector however. If I can get one projector to pull double duty it will help things. If that one projector can be used in moderately bright environments, even better. If it's a perfect picture at noon with the sun shinning on the screen, my needs are more than met. Just not sure it can be done at this price.

Edit: I know I need to be realistic and the $500 is a general price. I can probably bump that up but not much more than $700 if I want to remain married (which I do).

Edit #2 : I should mention I know little to nothing about projectors other than what I've gathered in preparation for this projector. That may already be apparent.
There's no projector at any price that's going to give you a picture, let alone a perfect picture, at noon with the sun shinning on the screen. That's why JumboTron's were invented. If that's a must have, go buy the biggest LCD/LED TV you can afford and crank up the brightness.

However, at your price point, an Epson HC1060 or an Epson HC2150 will work if you can wait 20-30 minuets after sundown for your outdoor/backyard theater viewing. Both projectors will work indoors with a little bit of light if necessary to calm your 5 year old's nerves. With the lights out/dark room, the Epson HC2150 will give you a little better picture with regards to contrast where the Epson HC1060 will work better with some extra/ambient light.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-10-2019, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:

Take a look at the Viewsonixc PX-747 thread in the deals found subforum. It would be great for your purposes (- but no PJ will work in direct sunlight). I had one and returned it, but tested it thoroughly. However, your room dimensions are a key factor in projector decisions, because image size and screen placement is always a variable. If you have a clear wall, you can use that for testing, and with a coat or two of paint, it might be preferable to a screen, and much less costly.

If your video source has coax or optical out you can usually get 5.1 sound from the source to the amp that way. Coax cables are really cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 06-10-2019, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
There's no projector at any price that's going to give you a picture, let alone a perfect picture, at noon with the sun shinning on the screen. That's why JumboTron's were invented. If that's a must have, go buy the biggest LCD/LED TV you can afford and crank up the brightness.

However, at your price point, an Epson HC1060 or an Epson HC2150 will work if you can wait 20-30 minuets after sundown for your outdoor/backyard theater viewing. Both projectors will work indoors with a little bit of light if necessary to calm your 5 year old's nerves. With the lights out/dark room, the Epson HC2150 will give you a little better picture with regards to contrast where the Epson HC1060 will work better with some extra/ambient light.
I appreciate the reply. The hardest thing about posting on line is remembering sarcasm is hard to relay in simple text. I tend to exaggerate a bit and did so with the direct sunlight at noon portion of the post. Apologies there. I'll definitely check out both the Epsons you mention. As with anything, at lower price points there will need to be a trade off. Seems here it will be either ambient light performance or contrast. Thanks very much for the recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Take a look at the Viewsonixc PX-747 thread in the deals found subforum. It would be great for your purposes (- but no PJ will work in direct sunlight). I had one and returned it, but tested it thoroughly. However, your room dimensions are a key factor in projector decisions, because image size and screen placement is always a variable. If you have a clear wall, you can use that for testing, and with a coat or two of paint, it might be preferable to a screen, and much less costly.

If your video source has coax or optical out you can usually get 5.1 sound from the source to the amp that way. Coax cables are really cheap.
Again, I'm wishing I hadn't thrown in the direct sunlight at noon part. I appreciate the info. As for the painting, I'm afraid that won't be possible. There's a big access panel right in the middle of the viewing area downstairs. I've thought about a number of different solutions but came to the screen conclusion since that would help out both inside and out back. Received the screen the other day and, wow, 110" is a lot bigger than it sounds like at first.

I do have to say I'm surprised that Viewsonic would get down so far from it's original price. I took a look on the Viewsonic website and the refurbs sell within the $700 range I was looking for. Thanks for the recommendation.

Also, thanks for the coax recommendation as well. Is there a preference between SPDIF and coax? I guess when showing a movie outdoors, I shouldn't be looking for award winning audio anyhow.

I'd love to hear any recommendations people have. If there's more info that you need I can certainly add it.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-10-2019, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I appreciate the reply. The hardest thing about posting on line is remembering sarcasm is hard to relay in simple text. I tend to exaggerate a bit and did so with the direct sunlight at noon portion of the post. Apologies there. I'll definitely check out both the Epsons you mention. As with anything, at lower price points there will need to be a trade off. Seems here it will be either ambient light performance or contrast. Thanks very much for the recommendations.
No worries...

OTOH, it's amazing how many expect to view a projector in direct sunlight and ask for recommendations for such a machine.

FWIW, here's an Epson HC1060 on a 144" VisualApex projector screen, larger version of the one you're looking at, set-up outside last July at about 20 minuets after sunset. As you can see there is still some ambient light to deal with. The HC1060 will put out 3000 lumens. After it's dark, the picture's great.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E2665.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	483.7 KB
ID:	2578564  
post #6 of 15 Old 06-10-2019, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

That looks amazing. I've been considering the Optoma HD143X for a while but seeing real world results like that is hard to beat. Looks to be on sale as well. Might have to consult the financial committee early and see if it's in the cards.
post #7 of 15 Old 06-10-2019, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I guess when showing a movie outdoors, I shouldn't be looking for award winning audio anyhow.

I'd love to hear any recommendations people have. If there's more info that you need I can certainly add it.
As far as audio goes, I do a 5.2 system outside. Sound makes the movie!

My electronics are in a 6 unit portable Gator rack case. I have a Denon AVR and a Sony Blu-ray and Zidoo X9S media player for sources. I use 4 older Polk Audio M3II speakers for L/R and LS/RS mounted on tripods with a Klipsch RC62 II center channel and 2 Velodyne subwoofers. It supports lossless audio codecs. I'm able to set-up by myself in a little less than i hour.

Everything stores/packs up into 4 - 27 gallon plastic storage totes plus the portable rack case.
post #8 of 15 Old 06-10-2019, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I do have to say I'm surprised that Viewsonic would get down so far from it's original price. I took a look on the Viewsonic website and the refurbs sell within the $700 range I was looking for. Thanks for the recommendation.

Also, thanks for the coax recommendation as well. Is there a preference between SPDIF and coax? I guess when showing a movie outdoors, I shouldn't be looking for award winning audio anyhow.

I would guess that you could do 200in easily with the Px-747 and the screen could be any flat white or light grey material.

I can't really say regarding SPDIF or coax, but the 5.1 sound from my Sony UBP-X700 4K BD player's coax out to my old Amp is really good and Coax cables are dirt cheap.

Last edited by DunMunro; 06-10-2019 at 03:15 PM.
post #9 of 15 Old 06-11-2019, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 2254 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
With your budget and to make some points with the Mrs. I would go with this refurbished projector. In fact I did go with this projector 2 years ago and still happy with it. It is no longer in production but produces a beautiful image out of the box with its RGBRGB color wheel and dark chip 3 DLP.

https://www.viewsonic.com/us/pro7827hd-s.html

I also use an old non HDMI AVR and it works fine sending the audio to the AVR and the HDMI directly to the projector. I use an ABC switch to select the source for the audio. Yep you have to stand up to switch sources other than that it saves replacing a perfectly good 20 year old AVR.

Bud
post #10 of 15 Old 06-11-2019, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 3965 Post(s)
Liked: 3134
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
... The HC1060 will put out 3000 lumens. ...
The HC1060 is rated at 3,100 lumens and has been independently measured at 3,300 lumens with a new lamp. Many projectors underperform their rated maximum lumens but Epson models typically overperform. Speaking of lamps, Epson offers the lowest cost genuine replacement lamps in the industry at just $59 for the HC1060, which means you can afford to better maintain brightness by replacing the lamp more frequently as it dims with age. While there are certainly plenty of other options for outdoor projectors the HC1060 tends to be the most popular choice due to its combination of high actual lumens and low original and operating costs.
post #11 of 15 Old 06-11-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
The HC1060 is rated at 3,100 lumens and has been independently measured at 3,300 lumens with a new lamp. Many projectors underperform their rated maximum lumens but Epson models typically overperform. Speaking of lamps, Epson offers the lowest cost genuine replacement lamps in the industry at just $59 for the HC1060, which means you can afford to better maintain brightness by replacing the lamp more frequently as it dims with age. While there are certainly plenty of other options for outdoor projectors the HC1060 tends to be the most popular choice due to its combination of high actual lumens and low original and operating costs.
Additionally, the refurbished one is Best Buy's Deal of the Day, today only.
post #12 of 15 Old 06-11-2019, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Wow this is all great input. I'm pretty much sold on the Epson 1060 especially since it's on sale at BB. Needs the wife signature but I don't think it will be a problem. At this price it seems to beat the Viewsonic projectors posted yes?
post #13 of 15 Old 06-11-2019, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Wow this is all great input. I'm pretty much sold on the Epson 1060 especially since it's on sale at BB. Needs the wife signature but I don't think it will be a problem. At this price it seems to beat the Viewsonic projectors posted yes?
You only have today. Order it, ponder later.
post #14 of 15 Old 06-11-2019, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The PX-747 lamps are cheap too, and actually last longer. I have the Epson HC1040 which is very similar to the HC1060 and while the image is nice and bright, 4K output from the PX-747 is somewhat superior and HDR has to be seen to be appreciated and 4K content is really where things are heading.
post #15 of 15 Old 06-11-2019, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post
You only have today. Order it, ponder later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
The PX-747 lamps are cheap too, and actually last longer. I have the Epson HC1040 which is very similar to the HC1060 and while the image is nice and bright, 4K output from the PX-747 is somewhat superior and HDR has to be seen to be appreciated and 4K content is really where things are heading.
So get this. I talked to my wife and she is dead set against refurbs. I can get the Epson 1060 new on sale at $465 and she said to just go with that. I don't think she'll be as agreeable with the non sale new price of the Viewsonic. I agree 4K is the future but my plan is to get this one now and later when things have cooled down a bit, I'll get a new one solely for the basement which will allow me to dedicate this one to the outdoor theater.

Thanks everyone for the help. This forum has been invaluable as I have set up my home theater and now my gradual outdoor theater. You guys are great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page