Fengmi (峰米) Laser 4K Cinema - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #31 of 82 Old 10-02-2019, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 19
That thread is CRAZY to follow. My lord. Lmk how it turns out. And if implementation is a hell of a lot easier to perform than what that looked like to my virgin eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 82 Old 10-07-2019, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by juic-E-juice View Post
That thread is CRAZY to follow. My lord. Lmk how it turns out. And if implementation is a hell of a lot easier to perform than what that looked like to my virgin eyes.

It's not straight forward and there are several hoops and issues that are solvable if you search the forum. A 23 min video of it took me over 3 hours YMMV. It was worth it though.
post #33 of 82 Old 10-07-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey_Bryson View Post
I think I found the answer to my own question. Looks like Rooting and installing the Xiaomi Mi Laser Projector tools might be the reason for the lower input lag according to the changelog:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...tools-t3851755

2.17 : added ability to reduce input lag and disable noise reduction by long pressing "back" button.

I'll try it later this week and report back.

Just a follow-up with my experience after rooting: I'm not sure if it's 32ms or not, but it's much better than Monitor mode, which is better than Gaming mode, which is much better than any other mode/picture setting. The best part is you can use User mode settings with custom color, Dynamic Color, and Dynamic Contrast and achieve the best input lag. The projector tools that you install after rooting give you the option of disabling Noise Reduction AND De-interlacing, the latter of which I haven't seen mentioned anywhere and was one of the cons listed in Victor's review on youtube. So not only do you get a better input lag you also get a much sharper and cleaner picture than you could ever get even with Monitor mode

I know this is purely anecdotal evidence, but if User mode without rooting is 125-175ms+ and Monitor mode is 100ms then rooting with Noise and deinterlacing turned off has got to be between 75ms and what Gregory "Kraine" tested at 32ms even if his method of testing could be faulty. I used 4 player Mario Kart and used the "hop" button used in drifting to gauge the input lag/response in each mode in my testing, before and after rooting--Monitor Mode before root was acceptable but you could still see a difference. Rooting with all input lag options in effect it was very snappy and responsive. I could barely tell the difference between it and my TCL R6517 and it has an input lag of 18-23ms from what I've read. I'm not a professional gamer now, but I used to be a QA tester for several video game companies and I know what to look for.

So for whatever it's worth I'm pleasantly surprised with the 1080P results on my Fengmi 4k Cinema unit. Now to see if the input lag for 4K HDR gaming is acceptable.
juic-E-juice likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 82 Old 10-07-2019, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I’ll be following closely. This may tip me enough to pull the trigger. My only fear is that I won’t be as adept at getting through what you’ve managed to do.

post #35 of 82 Old 10-08-2019, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Doe this require an inverter to work in the states or like the other Xiaomi can it just be plugged in with an adaptor?
post #36 of 82 Old 10-08-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linred View Post
Doe this require an inverter to work in the states or like the other Xiaomi can it just be plugged in with an adaptor?
No inverter needed, just buy a mickey mouse plug for $5 on amazon.
post #37 of 82 Old 10-09-2019, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Just a follow-up with my experience after rooting: I'm not sure if it's 32ms or not, but it's much better than Monitor mode, which is better than Gaming mode, which is much better than any other mode/picture setting. The best part is you can use User mode settings with custom color, Dynamic Color, and Dynamic Contrast and achieve the best input lag. The projector tools that you install after rooting give you the option of disabling Noise Reduction AND De-interlacing, the latter of which I haven't seen mentioned anywhere and was one of the cons listed in Victor's review on youtube. So not only do you get a better input lag you also get a much sharper and cleaner picture than you could ever get even with Monitor mode

I know this is purely anecdotal evidence, but if User mode without rooting is 125-175ms+ and Monitor mode is 100ms then rooting with Noise and deinterlacing turned off has got to be between 75ms and what Gregory "Kraine" tested at 32ms even if his method of testing could be faulty. I used 4 player Mario Kart and used the "hop" button used in drifting to gauge the input lag/response in each mode in my testing, before and after rooting--Monitor Mode before root was acceptable but you could still see a difference. Rooting with all input lag options in effect it was very snappy and responsive. I could barely tell the difference between it and my TCL R6517 and it has an input lag of 18-23ms from what I've read. I'm not a professional gamer now, but I used to be a QA tester for several video game companies and I know what to look for.

So for whatever it's worth I'm pleasantly surprised with the 1080P results on my Fengmi 4k Cinema unit. Now to see if the input lag for 4K HDR gaming is acceptable.
Did you test the 4k input lag yet?
Is it really in acceptable range?
I am looking to replace my optoma GT 5600 with a 4k laser projector,
and input lag is really a concern, since gt 5600 doesnt have that much.
post #38 of 82 Old 10-18-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asd210111 View Post
I tested it with Borderlands 3 in 4K HDR (Radeon 5700 XT) and it was good enough, but slightly slower than my 1080P tests on my Switch. I was using the Switch Pro controller on my PC via an emulator for an Xbox 360 controller... and a really cheap Bluetooth adapter....so that may have been part of the issue, but still very playable and barely noticeable. I might try it wired and see if that makes it any better.

I'll try and take some video of them both just so everyone can see with their own eyes.
post #39 of 82 Old 10-21-2019, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
I tested it with Borderlands 3 in 4K HDR (Radeon 5700 XT) and it was good enough, but slightly slower than my 1080P tests on my Switch. I was using the Switch Pro controller on my PC via an emulator for an Xbox 360 controller... and a really cheap Bluetooth adapter....so that may have been part of the issue, but still very playable and barely noticeable. I might try it wired and see if that makes it any better.

I'll try and take some video of them both just so everyone can see with their own eyes.
Thanks for replying. I already order it and its on the way. I am glad that i didnt order the WeMax A300 which have much worse response time as Gregory's review stated.
post #40 of 82 Old 10-23-2019, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey guys watching this (along with other threads) with great interest.....

I note some common issues with the Fengmi 4k, but wonder how prevalent they are in comparison to the amount of units that have been shipped?

I get that on a forum you are not going to get the average consumer visit to simply say they are having a trouble free time and the majority of comments raise will be to the devices detriment, but I am curious about how much of an issue those raised are in comparison to happy customers?

I am considering getting one of these as a replacement for our main room TV used for general viewing and gaming....

TIA.
post #41 of 82 Old 10-23-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks for replying. I already order it and its on the way. I am glad that i didnt order the WeMax A300 which have much worse response time as Gregory's review stated.
You're welcome have fun!

Here's a few pics of my setup for those that like pics ;-) 120" XY PET Crystal, Fengmi 4K (of course), custom console ($180 parts), Receiver with 5.1.4 wiring behind, and HTPC on right, etc...

Pics really don't do it justice or show the right colors, but you get an idea. Larger, less compressed pics are attached as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191014_095835 (1).jpg
Views:	63
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	2631242   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191017_204300 (1).jpg
Views:	60
Size:	613.8 KB
ID:	2631244   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191017_204334 (1).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	942.7 KB
ID:	2631246   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191016_195235 (1).jpg
Views:	52
Size:	406.6 KB
ID:	2631248   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191014_095835.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	2631250  

Name:	20191017_204300.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	2631252   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191017_204334.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	447.3 KB
ID:	2631254   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191016_195235.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	2631256  
Brajesh and Nihar P like this.
post #42 of 82 Old 10-23-2019, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 49
That's a beautiful setup, Casey.
post #43 of 82 Old 10-23-2019, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
You're welcome have fun!

Here's a few pics of my setup for those that like pics ;-) 120" XY PET Crystal, Fengmi 4K (of course), custom console ($180 parts), Receiver with 5.1.4 wiring behind, and HTPC on right, etc...

Pics really don't do it justice or show the right colors, but you get an idea. Larger, less compressed pics are attached as well.

That’s a really nice setup! Would you mind measuring the offset? I’m wondering how much distance is needed from the bottom of the projector to the bottom of the screen?
post #44 of 82 Old 10-24-2019, 11:32 AM

Thanks @qoopy and @bix26 ! Coming from you all it means a lot :-)

Bix26 the offset (bottom of projector to screen) is 14.5 inches and will vary for other per the manual, but from what I've seen it doesn't vary much unlike the P1. I measured this before hanging the screen and building the console to minimize the mistakes made and allow for adjustments if necessary. Something that also needs to be taken into consideration is...and I'm not sure what the technical term is...the area of the path of light from lens to screen; you have to account for that, so something to keep in mind.
post #45 of 82 Old 10-24-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yido View Post
Hey guys watching this (along with other threads) with great interest.....

I note some common issues with the Fengmi 4k, but wonder how prevalent they are in comparison to the amount of units that have been shipped?

I get that on a forum you are not going to get the average consumer visit to simply say they are having a trouble free time and the majority of comments raise will be to the devices detriment, but I am curious about how much of an issue those raised are in comparison to happy customers?

I am considering getting one of these as a replacement for our main room TV used for general viewing and gaming....

TIA.
That's a good question and always hard to gauge since you usually see lots of issues posted after the initial hype and excitement dies down after a release of anything on here. I haven't seen any issues with the Fengmi yet, but they are all manufactured by Fengmi and share similar parts so wi xiaou si (lol)
post #46 of 82 Old 10-24-2019, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

That's a good question and always hard to gauge since you usually see lots of issues posted after the initial hype and excitement dies down after a release of anything on here. I haven't seen any issues with the Fengmi yet, but they are all manufactured by Fengmi and share similar parts so wi xiaou si (lol)
I suppose as well you have to consider that those buying P1's and LS100's have a superb warranty and dont come on forums to whine about them as they send them back for replacements... they dont need to pull them apart on YouTube to find a fix do they?

Anyhow, I'm gonna keep reading and learning about these things and maybe be ready make a purchase...!!!
post #47 of 82 Old 10-24-2019, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Fengmi (峰米) Laser 4K Cinema

Quote:
Thanks @qoopy and @bix26 ! Coming from you all it means a lot :-)

Bix26 the offset (bottom of projector to screen) is 14.5 inches and will vary for other per the manual, but from what I've seen it doesn't vary much unlike the P1. I measured this before hanging the screen and building the console to minimize the mistakes made and allow for adjustments if necessary. Something that also needs to be taken into consideration is...and I'm not sure what the technical term is...the area of the path of light from lens to screen; you have to account for that, so something to keep in mind.

Thanks for the reply. This would be perfect for me I think. My current UST has the same throw ratio (horizontal distance from screen to projector) of .23:1 . The concern for me is the offset, my current setup requires 16” of offset, I can do less but needing more would require a new media cabinet that’s lower than the one I have now. The media cabinet was the lowest one I could find, so any projector with more than 16” would require either a custom cabinet or a smaller screen.
post #48 of 82 Old 10-26-2019, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am thinking of buying this model but does anyone know if it supports 24p?

Also I have a 125 inch 1.3 gain Matte white screen on the wall, would this work well with a laser projector.

At the moment I own the Panasonic PT-AE8000 Full HD LCD projector
post #49 of 82 Old 10-26-2019, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuller View Post
I am thinking of buying this model but does anyone know if it supports 24p?

Also I have a 125 inch 1.3 gain Matte white screen on the wall, would this work well with a laser projector.

At the moment I own the Panasonic PT-AE8000 Full HD LCD projector

No, almost all the 4k dlp projectors don’t. It’s pretty technical and I won’t bother butchering the explanation lol. Basically it’s a limitation that’s pretty much unavoidable. BenQ was able to add 24hz playback and they don’t make a 4k UST.
post #50 of 82 Old 10-26-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
No, almost all the 4k dlp projectors don’t. It’s pretty technical and I won’t bother butchering the explanation lol. Basically it’s a limitation that’s pretty much unavoidable. BenQ was able to add 24hz playback and they don’t make a 4k UST.
Are you sure about that? Vincent tested it at 24p all the usual formats and I push 24p to it for 1080 and 2160 with my HTPC via MadVR on the reg...So what u talk
'n 'bout Willis? ;-)

To answer the question about the screen: 1.3 gain might be a tad much. I'd do your research there as too high a gain may lead to some defects. Everything I've seen points to a better picture with a negative gain screen. Unless you don't care about your blacks or HDR.
post #51 of 82 Old 10-26-2019, 11:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Fengmi (峰米) Laser 4K Cinema

Quote:
Are you sure about that? Vincent tested it at 24p all the usual formats and I push 24p to it for 1080 and 2160 with my HTPC via MadVR on the reg...So what u talk

'n 'bout Willis? ;-)

To answer the question about the screen: 1.3 gain might be a tad much. I'd do your research there as too high a gain may lead to some defects. Everything I've seen points to a better picture with a negative gain screen. Unless you don't care about your blacks or HDR.

Most can do 24hz just not natively. Your projector is showing the incoming signal, but in reality it’s converting the 24hz to 30hz. That’s why most dlp 4k projectors have judder. The terminology is “3:2 pull down” and many projectors and tv’s have artifacts when using it.
post #52 of 82 Old 10-28-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
Most can do 24hz just not natively. Your projector is showing the incoming signal, but in reality it’s converting the 24hz to 30hz. That’s why most dlp 4k projectors have judder. The terminology is “3:2 pull down” and many projectors and tv’s have artifacts when using it.
Oh that's right! So you were saying 24P without Judder. Looking at Vincent's video again, he stated that it's judder free with 24hz in 3D because it's outputting at 48hz and questioned why it wouldn't do the same with other signals.

I've been curious, but haven't done a proper Judder test on mine...probably because it hasn't bugged me yet or I haven't noticed it.
post #53 of 82 Old 11-03-2019, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Smile

Casey - just wanted to mention that your setup is really compromising your audio. Would be vastly better to have the screen centered on the wall with your speakers the same distance from the back and side walls and towed in at the same angle. The sub in the middle. You’ll want to play with the distances from back and side walls plus the tow in - but for sure equal on both sides.
post #54 of 82 Old 11-04-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCrazy2 View Post
Casey - just wanted to mention that your setup is really compromising your audio. Would be vastly better to have the screen centered on the wall with your speakers the same distance from the back and side walls and towed in at the same angle. The sub in the middle. You’ll want to play with the distances from back and side walls plus the tow in - but for sure equal on both sides.

Agreed, unfortunately the layout of the room won't allow it. It's a split level house with stairs on the right side of the viewing area. I'm going to treat the walls and see if I can push the screen over another 6 inches so I and toe in the speakers like I'd hoped, but that sub is staying in the corner. I'm upgrading to some large speakers soon which should help with bass management. As it stands it's difficult to locate the sub, but a trained ear can tell it's on right.
post #55 of 82 Old 11-05-2019, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Agreed, unfortunately the layout of the room won't allow it. It's a split level house with stairs on the right side of the viewing area. I'm going to treat the walls and see if I can push the screen over another 6 inches so I and toe in the speakers like I'd hoped, but that sub is staying in the corner. I'm upgrading to some large speakers soon which should help with bass management. As it stands it's difficult to locate the sub, but a trained ear can tell it's on right.
Putting the sub in the middle would at least allow you to move one of the speakers off the side wall which itself will improve the sound immensely. Why is it important to have the sub sound coming from the right? In home theater I always prefer the sub in the middle if the directionality is audible. This bolsters the center channel dialog and keeps the sound balanced. Plus the directionality if any is less noticeable.

Having the speakers properly placed via the walls is critical for achieving optimal sound and will be a bigger upgrade than buying new speakers IMO. And it’s free.
post #56 of 82 Old 11-09-2019, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question Ussue with 4k

Hi,

Has anyone else been having issues with 4k playback? I cant seem to get 4k working at all.

Using a pixel matrix test pattern in the pictures app, I just get a uniform grey, and using another test pattern on youtube on my chromecast ultra, these are my results:

Each color band should be split into smaller bands separated by 1 px white space. Additionally, youtube is reporting the viewport size as 1080p (720*1.5)

The chromecast is connected directly to the projector (I've tried all the HDMI ports) and I have HDMI2.0 turned on in the context menu.

Am I missing something here?
post #57 of 82 Old 11-09-2019, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
So are we saying that this Fengmi 4k UST is currently the best out of all the chinese lot out there?

Wondering if I should just go ahead with this, or wait out a bit for some better pj coming just around the corner..

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk
post #58 of 82 Old 11-10-2019, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihar P View Post
So are we saying that this Fengmi 4k UST is currently the best out of all the chinese lot out there?

Wondering if I should just go ahead with this, or wait out a bit for some better pj coming just around the corner..

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat. Trying to figure out the difference between all these Chinese UST projectors and if there's a consensus on the "best" one.
Nihar P likes this.
post #59 of 82 Old 11-10-2019, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 49
A discrete reminder it's once again remembrance day, time to pick up some cheap bargain.

Last edited by qoopy; 11-10-2019 at 07:42 PM.
post #60 of 82 Old 11-10-2019, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi all,
first time poster, but i've been lurking these forums 4 months back ever since i decided it's time to upgrade my AV system. I have this issue with my Fengmi 4K UST that i hope someone with this unit can answer.

There is light bleed on the outer edges of the picture. On lighter scenes it's not as obvious but it's very obvious on darker scenes. It bleeds on all 4 sides. It was suggested that it's caused by light interference but i don't think that is it.

Can you please advise if this happens on your unit as well?

TIA.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4175.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	630.5 KB
ID:	2639454  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page