Fengmi (峰米) Laser 4K Cinema - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 129 Old 11-24-2019, 11:09 AM
Member
 
Casey_Bryson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonspeakers View Post
Thanks for your reply. It's very enlightening.
To start, I have an LG OLED so HDR isn't something I've never seen before. I've just never seen it behave like this before on a Faux-K projector.

I'm attaching a video clip of the phenomenon I'm seeing from a firestick 4K. The projector is set on HDMI port 1 with HDMI 2.0 enabled. Standard color profile and highlight mode selected.
Notice at 6 seconds and at 18 seconds, when HDR kicks in the screen dims significantly. This is projected onto an ALR PET Crystal xyscreen. In complete dark with no ambient light, it's incredibly hard to see. Somehow my cellphone camera is able to pick something up, So here it is.

https://imgur.com/erTZ2oI

This is tested on an 8K HDMI (2.1) chord. I've also tested this with two different HDMI cables as well. Same darkening issue. CONNECTION: Shield box to HDMI to projector. The firestick is plugged directly onto projector. Both in HDMI port 1.

Display settings shows I get 4K @ 59.9fps (not exactly 60fps).

No HDR out of HDMI port 3/ARC.

I've tried doing some calibration on dynamic range using YouTube videos where brightness controls the blacks and contrast for the whites. But this doesn't help at all.

I'll try plugging in your settings and RGB values and see if it makes any difference. BTW, feel free to pm me over on XDA since I'm unable to pm you here without x-amount of posts.

I really hope this isn't due to bad hardware.

I'm really thinking about buying a Roku ultra to to see if HDR works properly. Or if the issue is really isolated to these two devices.
I've tried playing some 4K HDR video on YouTube, but I don't know if they really are HDR enabled despite being from the "HDR channel"

*Shrugs***

Take a look at these pics and tell me how they differ, if at all from what you're seeing with your Firestick and Fengmi results. Maybe you'll get better results with a Roku Ultra? I know apps really differ between hardware.

Here are pics taken from my Samsung Galaxy Note S10+ of the same shot in your video. I am not seeing a much of any difference between your video and my pics which are from my TCL R6517 and my Fengmi with some natural light.


Here's the pic of the Fengmi paired with PET Crystal XY 120" Screen, Roku Ultra HDR 10:




Pic of the TCL R6517 65" FALD LED, RokuTV DolbyVision



NOTE: both pics taken were a little brighter than IRL and the TCL pic is over saturated. With my own eyes (IRL) both looked very similar, save the deeper blacks on the TCL which are way over represented in the pic.

In my opinion the scene itself is not a great example of HDR anyway since it doesn't have a very dynamic range--it's your typical night time bedroom scene with some "moonlight" to brighten the scene enough to be filmed. It's going to look brighter in SDR and the video you took showed that when it went from Bright to Dark as the HDR kicked in...this is normal and what I see on my end as well.

Hope that helps. I figured this would be good for anyone looking to see how HDR performs and what to expect between a very good LED and a laser projector...even with some natural morning light. While the LED TV is darker and brighter the HDR difference isn't enough for me to want to go out and get a 85" inch screen (for 2 to 3 times the cost) in it's place when a 120" does almost the same at almost twice the size.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191124_112045.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	538.5 KB
ID:	2645018   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191124_111231.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	408.3 KB
ID:	2645020  

Last edited by Casey_Bryson; 11-24-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Casey_Bryson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 129 Old 11-24-2019, 02:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello I am new here,
I am between xgimi RS Pro and Fengmi 4K.
I heard some noise issues with Fengmi 4K, something like coil whine.
Is that a big problem. and the other question, do we really need a screen for UST projectors.

and what do you think about xgimi RS Pro?

Thanks
kkarga is online now  
post #93 of 129 Old 11-24-2019, 06:30 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey_Bryson View Post
Take a look at these pics and tell me how they differ, if at all from what you're seeing with your Firestick and Fengmi results. Maybe you'll get better results with a Roku Ultra? I know apps really differ between hardware.

Here are pics taken from my Samsung Galaxy Note S10+ of the same shot in your video. I am not seeing a much of any difference between your video and my pics which are from my TCL R6517 and my Fengmi with some natural light.


Here's the pic of the Fengmi paired with PET Crystal XY 120" Screen, Roku Ultra HDR 10:




Pic of the TCL R6517 65" FALD LED, RokuTV DolbyVision



NOTE: both pics taken were a little brighter than IRL and the TCL pic is over saturated. With my own eyes (IRL) both looked very similar, save the deeper blacks on the TCL which are way over represented in the pic.

In my opinion the scene itself is not a great example of HDR anyway since it doesn't have a very dynamic range--it's your typical night time bedroom scene with some "moonlight" to brighten the scene enough to be filmed. It's going to look brighter in SDR and the video you took showed that when it went from Bright to Dark as the HDR kicked in...this is normal and what I see on my end as well.

Hope that helps. I figured this would be good for anyone looking to see how HDR performs and what to expect between a very good LED and a laser projector...even with some natural morning light. While the LED TV is darker and brighter the HDR difference isn't enough for me to want to go out and get a 85" inch screen (for 2 to 3 times the cost) in it's place when a 120" does almost the same at almost twice the size.
Just from this alone, your projector on the xy screen looks incredibly clean and has much more dynamic range. Your whites are sufficiently bright enough and your blacks are dark without being completely crushed.
The TCL, although with deep crushed blacks, your whites are still bright.

In my case, the OVERALL image is completely darkened where whites look like it fell off oblivion. It's not even useable at all even in a completely dark room.

What I will do next is to order a Roku box like yours and see how that affects HDR.
Lemonspeakers is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #94 of 129 Old 11-25-2019, 09:10 AM
Member
 
Casey_Bryson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonspeakers View Post
Just from this alone, your projector on the xy screen looks incredibly clean and has much more dynamic range. Your whites are sufficiently bright enough and your blacks are dark without being completely crushed.
The TCL, although with deep crushed blacks, your whites are still bright.

In my case, the OVERALL image is completely darkened where whites look like it fell off oblivion. It's not even useable at all even in a completely dark room.

What I will do next is to order a Roku box like yours and see how that affects HDR.
Good luck man. Hope it's the source and not the projector.
Casey_Bryson is offline  
post #95 of 129 Old 11-25-2019, 09:54 AM
Member
 
Casey_Bryson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkarga View Post
Hello I am new here,
I am between xgimi RS Pro and Fengmi 4K.
I heard some noise issues with Fengmi 4K, something like coil whine.
Is that a big problem. and the other question, do we really need a screen for UST projectors.

and what do you think about xgimi RS Pro?

Thanks
What's the noise level on the Xgimi RS Pro? It's short throw and likely be sitting right next to it so if it is 30-40DB like most of the other projectors with a similar chipset then it's better to be sitting further away and UST or Long throw would be best IMO. Coil whine is prevalent as well, but in my experience unless your ear is on the left side of the projector and within a foot or two, you're not going to hear it. Maybe if you have dog ears or a really bad case of coil whine will it be an issue.

If better blacks, control of lighting, and overall brightness is important then yes you need a UST ALR/CLR screen. If you're okay with not squeezing out the best, lack luster HDR, light reflecting on to your ceiling, uniformity issues etc... then any wall or screen will do.
Casey_Bryson is offline  
post #96 of 129 Old 11-25-2019, 11:26 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all, not sure if already mentoined before but it seems theres a new version out in White color. it claims to have 2500 ANSI Lumen. Anyone who already had this version AMD van confirm its better than the original fengmi 4K

Im not able to post links but you can see the White new version on banggood.
Doncalitri is online now  
post #97 of 129 Old 11-25-2019, 12:02 PM
Member
 
Casey_Bryson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doncalitri View Post
Hi all, not sure if already mentoined before but it seems theres a new version out in White color. it claims to have 2500 ANSI Lumen. Anyone who already had this version AMD van confirm its better than the original fengmi 4K

Im not able to post links but you can see the White new version on banggood.
Fengmi 4K Cinema Laser Projector 2500 ANSI Lumens 150 inch ALPD 4K 3D BT 4.0 MIUI TV Xiaomi Projector - White

interesting....



It's not listed on the manufacturer website: https://www.formovie.cn/main/cinema#projectionHead though their new Fresnel screen is.

Maybe it's just a special white version for bangood?
Doncalitri likes this.
Casey_Bryson is offline  
post #98 of 129 Old 11-25-2019, 12:04 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Could be, but if the 2500 ANSI Lumen is correct its quite interesting
Doncalitri is online now  
post #99 of 129 Old 11-25-2019, 04:19 PM
Member
 
smuller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone know if this projector has Dolby Vision or only HDR10?
smuller is offline  
post #100 of 129 Old 11-26-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
klas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,195
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Seems odd that white version would be brighter but price is the same as black. I think it's just white casing rather then new hardware.
klas is offline  
post #101 of 129 Old 11-26-2019, 10:32 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey_Bryson View Post
What's the noise level on the Xgimi RS Pro? It's short throw and likely be sitting right next to it so if it is 30-40DB like most of the other projectors with a similar chipset then it's better to be sitting further away and UST or Long throw would be best IMO. Coil whine is prevalent as well, but in my experience unless your ear is on the left side of the projector and within a foot or two, you're not going to hear it. Maybe if you have dog ears or a really bad case of coil whine will it be an issue.

If better blacks, control of lighting, and overall brightness is important then yes you need a UST ALR/CLR screen. If you're okay with not squeezing out the best, lack luster HDR, light reflecting on to your ceiling, uniformity issues etc... then any wall or screen will do.
Thank you for your reply.

As for the noise issue there has been some reviews;
"its loud even from 10 ft away. in fact, during quiet movie scenes, its all you hear. Keep in mind that this isn't some fan noise or low huming background noise. its straight up high pitch, coil whine high frequent sound."

"I also have the same problem, I guess its the color wheel and will try to send it back..."

"Hey all, mine is also very loud. Opened a ticket, they asking for a picture showing the issue. Not sure if they really willing to help. Are you able to solve your issue?"

Here are some videos from users about the noise issue:



Listen to the background. You can hear that noise even while he is talking.


As for the wall projection (that I am worried about);

One of Fengmi 4K user share a post (attached). UST projectors has some distortions when you project on wall. So it looks a special screen is essential for UST laser projectors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	70264144_10217039335548288_6034231920471048192_n.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	2645926   Click image for larger version

Name:	76622736_10217039335748293_7509319424462028800_n.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	2645928   Click image for larger version

Name:	75435862_10217039336148303_1452434996068352000_n.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	2645930   Click image for larger version

Name:	77015058_10217048888427104_5291132978318016512_n.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	2645932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Region capture 11.png
Views:	40
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	2645934  


Last edited by kkarga; 11-26-2019 at 10:51 AM.
kkarga is online now  
post #102 of 129 Old 11-26-2019, 01:04 PM
Member
 
Casey_Bryson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuller View Post
Does anyone know if this projector has Dolby Vision or only HDR10?
I believe no UST has Dolby Vision yet. Only HDR10. You can accomplish scene by scene HDR tone mapping with MadVR. Recently I've watched several demos from Dolby Vision the scene average was over 6K nits and looked great on the Fengmi.

Here's some pics (UPDATE: Now with video) from one of my favorite Dolby Vision Demos...in HDR10 via MADVR taken with wide, 1x, and 2x telephoto lenses:

Wide:



1x:



2x:



Video:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191124_140626.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	438.4 KB
ID:	2646000   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191124_140634.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	698.6 KB
ID:	2646002   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191124_140638.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	2646004  
Brajesh likes this.

Last edited by Casey_Bryson; 11-26-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Casey_Bryson is offline  
post #103 of 129 Old 11-26-2019, 01:39 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I've had this projector about a week and so far I quite like it. It will be a nice supplement to my RS420.



The Fengmi unfortunately has the high-pitch buzzing sound which for the most part goes away when watching content.


I'm debating on whether I should root and install the custom firmware as there seems to be some back an forth whether it actually improves response time outside of just putting the projector in monitor mode.


I can't seem to find the menu option that shows what firmware version I'm on, though.
Casey_Bryson likes this.
tuber80 is offline  
post #104 of 129 Old 11-26-2019, 01:52 PM
Member
 
Casey_Bryson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkarga View Post
Thank you for your reply.

As for the noise issue there has been some reviews;
"its loud even from 10 ft away. in fact, during quiet movie scenes, its all you hear. Keep in mind that this isn't some fan noise or low huming background noise. its straight up high pitch, coil whine high frequent sound."

"I also have the same problem, I guess its the color wheel and will try to send it back..."

"Hey all, mine is also very loud. Opened a ticket, they asking for a picture showing the issue. Not sure if they really willing to help. Are you able to solve your issue?"

Here are some videos from users about the noise issue:

SNIP

Listen to the background. You can hear that noise even while he is talking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTW214NWCX0

SNIP

As for the wall projection (that I am worried about);

One of Fengmi 4K user share a post (attached). UST projectors has some distortions when you project on wall. So it looks a special screen is essential for UST laser projectors.
My personal recommendation is the XY PET Crystal (alr/clr) screen, but you can get any fixed screen if you don't mind reflections and can control ambient light to pitch black. But if you're paying $400+ it makes more sense to go $1200 (or $800 for 100") as an investment in the tech, but try it yourself, buy some samples for $35 shipped and see what makes sense for you. It's possible to use a flat wall...but it has to be perfectly flat!

I'd say Vincent's Teoh's video is about what I hear at worst during quiet scenes. When the projector first boots up it's around 40C but heats up to 70C after some time...that's where you hit the high end of the fans running and the occasional coil whine, but again the coil whine is not audible on mine from seating distance and I sit about 4-6 feet away for 2:35 content.

There's no doubt that the noise factor varies for these projectors. I know some measure 30DB and some as high as 49DB...which is too high. Ultimately it's a leap because of the shipping cost if you get a unit that is not on the lower end. But you can always return it if you're unlucky and at most you're out two weeks and $300 for a better unit. If 15DB less noise is worth $1700 and you're okay with a lower input lag go for the P1.

Last edited by Casey_Bryson; 11-26-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Casey_Bryson is offline  
post #105 of 129 Old 11-26-2019, 04:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey_Bryson View Post
My personal recommendation is the XY PET Crystal (alr/clr) screen, but you can get any fixed screen if you don't mind reflections and can control ambient light to pitch black. But if you're paying $400+ it makes more sense to go $1200 (or $800 for 100") as an investment in the tech, but try it yourself, buy some samples for $35 shipped and see what makes sense for you. It's possible to use a flat wall...but it has to be perfectly flat!

I'd say Vincent's Teoh's video is about what I hear at worst during quiet scenes. When the projector first boots up it's around 40C but heats up to 70C after some time...that's where you hit the high end of the fans running and the occasional coil whine, but again the coil whine is not audible on mine from seating distance and I sit about 4-6 feet away for 2:35 content.

There's no doubt that the noise factor varies for these projectors. I know some measure 30DB and some as high as 49DB...which is too high. Ultimately it's a leap because of the shipping cost if you get a unit that is not on the lower end. But you can always return it if you're unlucky and at most you're out two weeks and $300 for a better unit. If 15DB less noise is worth $1700 and you're okay with a lower input lag go for the P1.
Thank you for all explanations.
kkarga is online now  
post #106 of 129 Old 11-26-2019, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AV_Integrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA - Washington, DC
Posts: 6,661
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkarga View Post
...
As for the wall projection (that I am worried about);

UST projectors has some distortions when you project on wall. So it looks a special screen is essential for UST laser projectors.
You need a FLAT surface, you do not need a UST screen, or a super expensive screen. You can use a SilverTicket white screen with UST projectors. The key is that the surface must be perfectly flat with all UST projectors.

UST ALR screens help to keep reflections off the ceiling, but with a dark room with dark paint around the screen and ceiling, then those reflections will be minimized anyway. A white screen is a much better choice whenever possible. But, you will need a perfectly flat screen for best results with all UST projectors.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
AV_Integrated is offline  
post #107 of 129 Old 11-27-2019, 10:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
You need a FLAT surface, you do not need a UST screen, or a super expensive screen. You can use a SilverTicket white screen with UST projectors. The key is that the surface must be perfectly flat with all UST projectors.

UST ALR screens help to keep reflections off the ceiling, but with a dark room with dark paint around the screen and ceiling, then those reflections will be minimized anyway. A white screen is a much better choice whenever possible. But, you will need a perfectly flat screen for best results with all UST projectors.
Thank you for informations.
kkarga is online now  
post #108 of 129 Old 11-27-2019, 11:20 AM
Member
 
Casey_Bryson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
You need a FLAT surface, you do not need a UST screen, or a super expensive screen. You can use a SilverTicket white screen with UST projectors. The key is that the surface must be perfectly flat with all UST projectors.

UST ALR screens help to keep reflections off the ceiling, but with a dark room with dark paint around the screen and ceiling, then those reflections will be minimized anyway. A white screen is a much better choice whenever possible. But, you will need a perfectly flat screen for best results with all UST projectors.
I don't understand how anyone could state that that "a white screen is a much better choice whenever possible" ?!?!?! So you don't care about your blacks or HDR? I mean assuming everything is painted black and there are no reflections (no one lives in a vacuum so...) it's hard to see how a negative gain, PET Crystal screen wouldn't win out in real world conditions. Also a UST without a CLR screen will reflect the image right on the ceiling...it's not as minimal as light bleed from the chipset and that bothers a lot of people including me. It bothers me at theaters where the ceiling is black and it's 10x worse with UST.

Are you saying you can get better blacks and HDR with a white screen? I could see how it could raise the (HDR) ceiling, but it's the (HDR) floor that's the bigger issue with projection right? I mean I'm still learning so enlighten me. I'm sure you've seen UST's with white screens that look better without a negatvie gain CLR/ALR screen.

Last edited by Casey_Bryson; 11-27-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Casey_Bryson is offline  
post #109 of 129 Old 11-28-2019, 07:49 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Hi,

Find below my solution for noise problem. ...will install my Telon ALR screen soon.



Still need to create shoulder for glass.

I am reducing sound level by 75% ... I will probably install noise canceling foam inside reduce even more the sound.

Mart


Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Garfield9988 is offline  
post #110 of 129 Old 11-28-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
klas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,195
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield9988 View Post
Hi,

Find below my solution for noise problem. ...will install my Telon ALR screen soon.



Still need to create shoulder for glass.

I am reducing sound level by 75% ... I will probably install noise canceling foam inside reduce even more the sound.

Mart


Envoyé️ de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Thats one lengthy TV stand! Btw in your noise reducing enclosure you will need to add bunch of ventilation otherwise you are asking for trouble.

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
klas is offline  
post #111 of 129 Old 11-28-2019, 09:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
You are right ... that why I did put 6inch trap in the side back for vent and still have important noise reduction (see photo)

And yes I am losing front speaker. In my case I do have 5.1 surround sound to cover that.

But seriously I was not ready to spend 6k for optoma P1.







Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Garfield9988 is offline  
post #112 of 129 Old 11-28-2019, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
klas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,195
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I was referring to active cooling solution, I tried putting my Xiaomi in enclosed box with front and back open before and was getting "overheating" message.

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
klas is offline  
post #113 of 129 Old 11-28-2019, 04:07 PM
Member
 
Casey_Bryson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 41
This is the goal:

https://youtu.be/F__ApZkfcJI

The comments are in Spanish with some google translation:

"Images for the, yes, ust laser projectors without something noisy, with this silicone case the problem is solved, although the speakers are sacrificed, which are not bad. I made it with a base of feather cardboard and high density panels so that they did not pass the acoustic vibrations, now on top I have put another layer of fine white material to make it more beautiful. For ventilation, leave two holes in the lower back one on each side, and the inner central part of the box I separated with a wall, so that the hot air that comes out does not re-enter. That way the protector has not warmed up even once, nor in summer, and I can watch movies series etc with low volume if I want to hear any noise from the projector"


It's nearly silent at -40dB from normal according to the maker of the Hush Box. I think this is my next project. If someone could build one that looked great for around $300-500 I think everyone would be in. There's got to be thousands of people needing one. Lots of opportunity for someone to make some real money.

Last edited by Casey_Bryson; 12-03-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Casey_Bryson is offline  
post #114 of 129 Old 11-30-2019, 01:35 AM
Member
 
aronsonstack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield9988 View Post
You are right ... that why I did put 6inch trap in the side back for vent and still have important noise reduction (see photo)

And yes I am losing front speaker. In my case I do have 5.1 surround sound to cover that.

But seriously I was not ready to spend 6k for optoma P1.







Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Good work! I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the Telon screen with your Fengmi.
aronsonstack is offline  
post #115 of 129 Old 12-01-2019, 06:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Hi,

Find below the screen install ... not finish yet.

I am very happy with the result for 660$ us dollars (screen).

I don’t have xy screen sample to compared it but I am pretty sure is very close since both use lenticular material.

The frame extrusion, spring etc are well made and final rigidity is ok.

I don’t want go on the debate of gain and final black level reach. It my first projector ever and I bought it because I can’t watch it with light on.

Ounce everything install correctly I will try to calibrated it with IPhone THX app. Any good reference for starting point for calibration ? (Non rooted device) ?

I did try rapidly 3-D glasses without any success...did try to convert 3-d iso file to 3-d active glass film with easyfab without success. Any suggestions?

Mart






Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Garfield9988 is offline  
post #116 of 129 Old 12-01-2019, 12:10 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
My Fengmi gets delivered tomorrow. EXCITED!!!
I have also ordered an XY Screens ALR motorised screen so I should be all set.
Casey_Bryson likes this.
disco74 is offline  
post #117 of 129 Old 12-01-2019, 06:27 PM
Member
 
aronsonstack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield9988 View Post
Hi,

Find below the screen install ... not finish yet.

I am very happy with the result for 660$ us dollars (screen).

I don’t have xy screen sample to compared it but I am pretty sure is very close since both use lenticular material.

The frame extrusion, spring etc are well made and final rigidity is ok.

I don’t want go on the debate of gain and final black level reach. It my first projector ever and I bought it because I can’t watch it with light on.

Ounce everything install correctly I will try to calibrated it with IPhone THX app. Any good reference for starting point for calibration ? (Non rooted device) ?

I did try rapidly 3-D glasses without any success...did try to convert 3-d iso file to 3-d active glass film with easyfab without success. Any suggestions?

Mart






Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Looks like there is ambient light and your screen still creates a nice crisp picture.
aronsonstack is offline  
post #118 of 129 Old 12-03-2019, 03:14 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield9988 View Post
Hi,

Find below my solution for noise problem. ...will install my Telon ALR screen soon.



Still need to create shoulder for glass.

I am reducing sound level by 75% ... I will probably install noise canceling foam inside reduce even more the sound.

Mart


Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
I built something similar, but no glass, the fengmi4k is flush with the top. It's so slick. I swear. Then I used some spare noctua fans I had sitting in the office that is powered off a 5V USB from Amazon. The fans turn on when the projector turns on and well to exhaust the hot air from the left side. Overall, it's very effective and quiet.
Although the fans aren't spinning at the full 12V (they'd get a bit loud despite being some of the quietist fans on the market), it does help significantly.

I plan to do some proper ducting to push the hot air further away.

Enclosing the projector and keeping it cool is a super nice way to significantly reduce noise levels.

BTW, I use a sound bar. The Yamaha Yas 207. It's good for what it is. Bought it for $130.
I'm not a audiophile, but I don't mind if someone school me on proper sound setup. ELI5 please.
Lemonspeakers is offline  
post #119 of 129 Old 12-03-2019, 04:26 PM
Member
 
Casey_Bryson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield9988 View Post
Hi,

Find below the screen install ... not finish yet.

I am very happy with the result for 660$ us dollars (screen).

I don’t have xy screen sample to compared it but I am pretty sure is very close since both use lenticular material.

The frame extrusion, spring etc are well made and final rigidity is ok.

I don’t want go on the debate of gain and final black level reach. It my first projector ever and I bought it because I can’t watch it with light on.

Ounce everything install correctly I will try to calibrated it with IPhone THX app. Any good reference for starting point for calibration ? (Non rooted device) ?

I did try rapidly 3-D glasses without any success...did try to convert 3-d iso file to 3-d active glass film with easyfab without success. Any suggestions?

Mart

SNIP...Image
I've looked into the Telon's but the frame was worth the price difference for me from the XY. It will look nice once you work out the kinks I'm sure.

With regards to calibration: I don't think that Iphone THX app will do you any good since you'll be adjusting the Projectors User settings for everything you watch. It might be good for a beginner though just to train your eye on what to look for.

What is your source/player for 3D? I know some use the DuneHD and there are a few others that can play 3D ISO's off a HDD. As far as converting 3D Iso's I haven't used Easefab, but I have used DVDFab to convert to full SBS or half SBS. So far I've had the best 3D experience and best picture with HSBS 3D. I was using PowerDVD Ultra to play 3D Iso's, but I know have the bug of a black screen which Cyberlink hasn't figured out how to fix in Windows 10 so I've moved on and now using MPC-HC, but haven't got 3D ISO's to work with it yet--still some work to do there for me. As a side note: I'm using PC as my source and for some reason 3D ISO's can only play as 1280x720 @60hz. I haven't been able to get it to work at 1920x1080 @24hz like the EDID says it should support.

I think the best overall solution is to play HSBS (SBS looks better because of how our eyes work versus OU) in 2D and manually switch the Fengmi to 3d mode Side By Side. I've used Plex on my Roku to stream 3D off my PC and it works great. BTW: If the colors look way off in 3D, disable and re-enable 3D again...that fixes the colorspace issue some are seeing with the Xiaomi/Fengmi/a300's.

Oh and I almost forgot: Really nice job with your console/credenza! Looks amazing! I would love to see more info/diagram pics of the air flow.
Casey_Bryson is offline  
post #120 of 129 Old 12-03-2019, 04:32 PM
Member
 
Casey_Bryson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonspeakers View Post
I built something similar, but no glass, the fengmi4k is flush with the top. It's so slick. I swear. Then I used some spare noctua fans I had sitting in the office that is powered off a 5V USB from Amazon. The fans turn on when the projector turns on and well to exhaust the hot air from the left side. Overall, it's very effective and quiet.
Although the fans aren't spinning at the full 12V (they'd get a bit loud despite being some of the quietist fans on the market), it does help significantly.

I plan to do some proper ducting to push the hot air further away.

Enclosing the projector and keeping it cool is a super nice way to significantly reduce noise levels.

BTW, I use a sound bar. The Yamaha Yas 207. It's good for what it is. Bought it for $130.
I'm not a audiophile, but I don't mind if someone school me on proper sound setup. ELI5 please.
I was thinking of using a similar setup(usb powered from projector) for the exhaust fans. Let's see some pics of your setup if you've got um. ;-)

A sound bar is a sound bar right? You've got this! Not much to them and that's the point ;-) We have a Vizio 5.1 setup in our living room with the 65" TV...it sounds great for what it is. Nothing compares with bigger speakers though if you have the space and the means.
Casey_Bryson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off