Fengmi (峰米) Laser 4K Cinema - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #121 of 181 Old 12-03-2019, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Hi,

Thank ...I will follow your recommandation for 3D film !

Since the cabinet is completely open in the back and on rear top the heating issue is not affecting the projector. And yes I still have 80% noise reduction !

I will buy some sound proof panel from amazon to reduce even more noise ...

I made the cabinets from ikea countertop mollekula oak (98”x26”) X 3 time. One on top one on bottom and bought 4’x8’ oak plywood panel homedepot for division. Front drawer and flap down panel are IKEA kitchen KUNGSBACKA mat black 36” wide x 10” height.

The final result :

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 181 Old 12-04-2019, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield9988 View Post
Hi,

Thank ...I will follow your recommandation for 3D film !

Since the cabinet is completely open in the back and on rear top the heating issue is not affecting the projector. And yes I still have 80% noise reduction !

I will buy some sound proof panel from amazon to reduce even more noise ...

I made the cabinets from ikea countertop mollekula oak (98”x26”) X 3 time. One on top one on bottom and bought 4’x8’ oak plywood panel homedepot for division. Front drawer and flap down panel are IKEA kitchen KUNGSBACKA mat black 36” wide x 10” height.

The final result :

What type or kind of glass did you use over the projector? Does it have to be a specific type of glass for the projector to shoot through?
post #123 of 181 Old 12-04-2019, 04:26 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Regular Ikea Billy shelf 30”x10” ... later I will laminate interior of opening with oak strip.

https://www.ikea.com/ca/fr/p/billy-t...erre-10286752/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 181 Old 12-04-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Regular Ikea Billy shelf 30”x10” ... later I will laminate interior of opening with oak strip.

This all depends on the projector, right? I have a GT5600 and the spread seems to be much wider than that glass can handle. I'll try and figure out exactly what size glass I need.
post #125 of 181 Old 12-08-2019, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
any place to buy this projector in the states or any of the other ust's of this nature?
post #126 of 181 Old 12-08-2019, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
What brand of 3D glasses would you recommend? Where can we buy?

I'll share the following.

I bought a Telon pet crystal screen. X y screen seems significantly pricier.

I also bought a small TV stand from Wayfair, 6.25" H.

Have yet to test 4k. Full HD looks good even on the wall. I do feel it's a little yellowish, less bright than I would like, But probably better than my Mitsubishi 92". Yes, there is noise, but it goes unnoticed once you start to watch.

Last edited by aarn; 12-08-2019 at 11:41 PM.
post #127 of 181 Old 12-09-2019, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarn View Post
What brand of 3D glasses would you recommend? Where can we buy?

I'll share the following.

I bought a Telon pet crystal screen. X y screen seems significantly pricier.

I also bought a small TV stand from Wayfair, 6.25" H.

Have yet to test 4k. Full HD looks good even on the wall. I do feel it's a little yellowish, less bright than I would like, But probably better than my Mitsubishi 92". Yes, there is noise, but it goes unnoticed once you start to watch.
I upgraded from a Mitsubishi 92" too! I installed a brand new bulb before I sold it and the Fengmi is much brighter IMHO. I had them both in the same room for comparison at one point.

As far as 3D glasses, tere's what I posted in the Xioami Mijia thread (with some edits for clarity):

These have the best color and brightness, but not the greatest looks. I use them for me. Oddly they are the cheapest looking, but best overall.

#1 Goswot 144Hz Rechargeable DLP Active Shutter Eyewear for Optoma Acer Vivitek Dell LG and All The Other DLP-Link Projectors

These look better and are very good, but slightly different color wise. I use these for my family or guests.

#2 BOBLOV Active Shutter 3D Glasses DLP-Link USB Blue Compatible BenQ W1070 W700 Dell DLP Projectors (Black-1 Pack)

I've tested about 5 or 6 different pair with the two above are the best.

If you value light blockage (from periphery of you eye) and the best construction the below will do fine...close to the BOBLOV, but more expensive:

#3 Ultra-Clear HD 144 Hz DLP Link 3D Active Rechargeable Shutter Glasses for All 3D DLP Projectors - BenQ, Optoma, Dell, Mitsubishi, Samsung, Acer, Vivit

also the new Xpand 105's DLP link are the best glasses you can get (even better than my old Xpand 105's RF) , but they sadly do not work with these projectors

Last edited by Casey_Bryson; 12-09-2019 at 11:00 AM.
post #128 of 181 Old 12-09-2019, 02:25 PM

Thank you Casey_Bryson. Much appreciated.
Casey_Bryson likes this.
post #129 of 181 Old 12-12-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:

How are you liking the Telon screen? I'm itching to get it. Do you think it performs well during the day?
post #130 of 181 Old 12-21-2019, 08:12 PM

i just installed telon 120" (by myself, need help for a few steps!). not difficult but the Instruction manual is not very useful. I watched a YouTube clip.

The first big difference I observe is that as compared with a wall it is very bright, so much so that i want to turn brightness down a little bit. This thing is also WAY better than my Mitsu 92" DLP and probably most of the 1080p LED TVs. It performs not as well in the daylight, but it still looks goods. So i say the screen does make a difference.

It is a little difficult to align the screen with the projected image. But the eight point thing helps a lot.

Last edited by aarn; 12-21-2019 at 08:26 PM.
post #131 of 181 Old 12-21-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey_Bryson View Post

As far as 3D glasses, tere's what I posted in the Xioami Mijia thread (with some edits for clarity):

These have the best color and brightness, but not the greatest looks. I use them for me. Oddly they are the cheapest looking, but best overall.

#1 Goswot 144Hz Rechargeable DLP Active Shutter Eyewear for Optoma Acer Vivitek Dell LG and All The Other DLP-Link Projectors

These look better and are very good, but slightly different color wise. I use these for my family or guests.

#2 BOBLOV Active Shutter 3D Glasses DLP-Link USB Blue Compatible BenQ W1070 W700 Dell DLP Projectors (Black-1 Pack)

I've tested about 5 or 6 different pair with the two above are the best.

If you value light blockage (from periphery of you eye) and the best construction the below will do fine...close to the BOBLOV, but more expensive:

#3 Ultra-Clear HD 144 Hz DLP Link 3D Active Rechargeable Shutter Glasses for All 3D DLP Projectors - BenQ, Optoma, Dell, Mitsubishi, Samsung, Acer, Vivit

also the new Xpand 105's DLP link are the best glasses you can get (even better than my old Xpand 105's RF) , but they sadly do not work with these projectors
I tried all three and reach the same conclusion. Goswot is the best and ironically the most affordable. You could get three pairs from Amazon. BOBLOV is the second. Ultra-Clear is not good and I returned it.
Casey_Bryson likes this.
post #132 of 181 Old 12-30-2019, 05:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dat Bui View Post
Hi Disco74,

I've had the Fengmi for over a month now and it's been performing very well. I've also installed the english GUI by forum member spocky12.

If you have very little to no light in your cinema room then your screen will be just fine. ie. you won't need an ALR screen. Personally, i think the major issue with this unit is the fan noise. I like to turn up the volume a bit so for most movies it's not that noticeable but it's very noticeable in quiet scenes. Like a few minutes in to Blade Runner 2049. I sit about 3.5m from the projector and i can hear the fans clearly. I'll probably replace the fans later on when its warranty ends.

Also, I had a friend calibrate the unit for me and we found that by default it was way too cool so had to turn the blue down a bit and the red up a bit. Your unit may turn out different though
I'm having issues with my unit. Have you been able to test your unit with a 4k test pattern to check if it actually outputs a 4k image?
post #133 of 181 Old 12-30-2019, 07:03 AM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Streeter View Post
I'm having issues with my unit. Have you been able to test your unit with a 4k test pattern to check if it actually outputs a 4k image?
Have you enabled HDMI 2.0 on your projector?
post #134 of 181 Old 12-30-2019, 07:26 AM

Fengmi 4K is not 4k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu pasquet View Post
Hi,
Has anyone else been having issues with 4k playback? I cant seem to get 4k working at all.
Using a pixel matrix test pattern in the pictures app, I just get a uniform grey....Am I missing something here?

I'm having the same issue. I attempted to get my projector to actually project a 4k image and it fails all test patterns. I hardly consider looking at test patterns but the image being projected from the Fengmi 4k projector just seems hardly 1080p due to blur ( I think ). Someone else here was considering selling their 4k OLED and keeping this. Um no. Don't do that. The picture from an OLED 4k screen is going to blow this out of the water (even with the smaller image, sadly). It's basically a waste to spend anything on the Fengmi 4k projector because, well, it doesn't display 4k (and I don't think it even qualifies for faux-k). This is on top of the image being blurry. Seriously, I've had a better 1080p experience than the current "4k" experience I'm enduring.

I attempted to get Alibaba to refund and you can guess how that went.

Enjoy These comparison videos https://imgur.com/a/Bt42kzW

FENGMI "4k"

vs Actual 4k from an OLED TV

post #135 of 181 Old 12-30-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco74 View Post
Have you enabled HDMI 2.0 on your projector?
Not sure where that option is enabled. That would be hilarious if that wasn't enabled by default. Care to share?
post #136 of 181 Old 12-30-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Not sure where that option is enabled. That would be hilarious if that wasn't enabled by default. Care to share?
you need to be on an HDMI source. Short press the button that has 3 lines then move down to 'playback settings' and click it.
Now scroll down to 'HDMI 2.0' and click. Now click 'On'
post #137 of 181 Old 12-30-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I'm having the same issue. I attempted to get my projector to actually project a 4k image and it fails all test patterns. I hardly consider looking at test patterns but the image being projected from the Fengmi 4k projector just seems hardly 1080p due to blur ( I think ). Someone else here was considering selling their 4k OLED and keeping this. Um no. Don't do that. The picture from an OLED 4k screen is going to blow this out of the water (even with the smaller image, sadly). It's basically a waste to spend anything on the Fengmi 4k projector because, well, it doesn't display 4k (and I don't think it even qualifies for faux-k). This is on top of the image being blurry. Seriously, I've had a better 1080p experience than the current "4k" experience I'm enduring.

I attempted to get Alibaba to refund and you can guess how that went.

Enjoy These comparison videos https://imgur.com/a/Bt42kzW

FENGMI "4k"

vs Actual 4k from an OLED TV

Not sure what's going on here, but there's a big difference between 1080p and 2160p on mine. I'll try the same test pattern on mine and my TCL 65R17 to see what I get. I also have the Spears and Munsil UHD HDR disc as well.
post #138 of 181 Old 12-30-2019, 11:50 AM

Fengmi 4K is not 4kMi 4k projector is still faux-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey_Bryson View Post
Not sure what's going on here, but there's a big difference between 1080p and 2160p on mine. I'll try the same test pattern on mine and my TCL 65R17 to see what I get. I also have the Spears and Munsil UHD HDR disc as well.
Ok so first many thanks to disco74. I was able to improve the image. It's still not 4k, but meh I'm done venting for the day.

Here's a preview of me focusing my newly faux-k set up. Any hints about getting this to work with an Xbox One X? It only seems to work with my laptop and AppleTV. Bleh.

The video I'm using is from Youtube

Last edited by Marc Streeter; 12-30-2019 at 12:02 PM. Reason: added link and title
post #139 of 181 Old 12-30-2019, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Help with Screen Flicker!

Hi, I have a Fengmi 4k projector. I was able to root and install Mi Projectivity tools perfectly fine. Everything was great but recently my projector has been having screen flickering on all inputs, although not on the main projector screen. Has this happened to anyone else? I've tried switching HDMI cables, and I've tried different devices, from my Roku to my Shield to my PS3. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've also already switched over to HDMI 2.0.
post #140 of 181 Old 12-30-2019, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
I tried all three and reach the same conclusion. Goswot is the best and ironically the most affordable. You could get three pairs from Amazon. BOBLOV is the second. Ultra-Clear is not good and I returned it.
What happened with the Ultra-Clear?

I use Ultra-Clear most of the time for my Benq W1070. When I first bought my projector back in early 2016, I bought a pair of Estar glasses. They were nice. The problem with that company's 3D glasses, which I forgot to pay attention to that, is that they used a proprietary usb charger cable. They seemed to have suffered for that proprietary route. They no long offer 3D glasses. So if something happens to the cables, I'm in trouble.

I wanted two more pair in case of company visits and wanted to try different brands. I settled for the Ultra-Clear based on the price and reviews and the non propitiatory usb connection (standard usb it uses). To this day I chose them mostly over the Estar. They fit me better and there is no difference between viewing quality from the Estar and they were cheaper than Estar.
post #141 of 181 Old 12-30-2019, 06:04 PM

dare to do better

I would greatly appreciate someone able to post their settings and companion image/video that shows they can get better quality out of the Fengmi than I am getting.

Last edited by Marc Streeter; 12-30-2019 at 06:04 PM. Reason: clarity
post #142 of 181 Old 12-31-2019, 01:24 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Exclamation

Quote:
Ok so first many thanks to disco74. I was able to improve the image. It's still not 4k, but meh I'm done venting for the day[/URL].

Here's a preview of me focusing my newly faux-k set up. Any hints about getting this to work with an Xbox One X? It only seems to work with my laptop and AppleTV. Bleh.

The video I'm using is from Youtube
Please make sure that you are using a player or app that is capable of displaying true 4k from youtube!

it is not always given that if you play 4k from youtube, you get 4k.

e.g. the Youtube App on an AppleTV 4K is not able to display 4k, but 1080p instead.

the same is with the default youtube app on my Xiaomi.
I had to install this one ( smartyoutubetv.github.io ) and then select the 4k quality version for every video.
Only then I am getting real 4k from youtube.

regards
post #143 of 181 Old 12-31-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Hsi View Post
Help with Screen Flicker!

Hi, I have a Fengmi 4k projector. I was able to root and install Mi Projectivity tools perfectly fine. Everything was great but recently my projector has been having screen flickering on all inputs, although not on the main projector screen. Has this happened to anyone else? I've tried switching HDMI cables, and I've tried different devices, from my Roku to my Shield to my PS3. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've also already switched over to HDMI 2.0.
I get flickering every once in a while, but only when I force 4K via the Mi Projectivity tools . I've learned you can switch it back to 1080p and then back to 4K to fix it. I haven't seen this brought up on the XDA boards, but that's the fix. I use my Roku Ultra for my "Smart TV" needs so having the Android TV at 4K is of no use.
post #144 of 181 Old 12-31-2019, 01:53 PM

Not all Youtubes are equal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunhedz View Post
Please make sure that you are using a player or app that is capable of displaying true 4k from youtube!

it is not always given that if you play 4k from youtube, you get 4k.

e.g. the Youtube App on an AppleTV 4K is not able to display 4k, but 1080p instead.

the same is with the default youtube app on my Xiaomi.
I had to install this one ( smartyoutubetv.github.io ) and then select the 4k quality version for every video.
Only then I am getting real 4k from youtube.

regards
Very true, the AppleTV does not currently support Youtube 4k clips (I believe due to Apple snubbing Google's video format). When I enabled the HDMI 2.0 setting that was mentioned, I started having problems with my Xbox One X (which I had been using). If you recall my initial posting, where it shows a completely grey circle, that is due to the Xbox not playing as nicely with the projector as it does with my OLED television (or vice versa, I don't know which one is at fault for not autodetecting that HDMI 2.0 is available and should be utilized -- I also have some hate for the non-intuitive nature of the Xbox, but I digress again) because the Xbox still was displaying at 1080p even though Xbox settings showed that 4k resolutions were supported(I had to do a little setting dance to get the xbox to display 4k at all on the Fengmi projector - but let it be known that you can't just unplug one 4k source and switch it to another 4k source on the Xbox).

The second post (with the focusing video) is my laptop that is outputting the 4k image through a browser that supports the 4k resolution from YouTube. I have since gotten my Xbox to display faux-k through the FengMi projector for a couple minutes. It shows the same artifacts that I posted in the image where I'm focussing (ie not true 4k but better than the 1080p indiscernible grey that I posted), but it has another issue now (which may explain why 4K isn't turned on by default -- I mean why wouldn't 4k be enabled on a 4k projector by default?) - it loses signal or overheats? I don't know how to describe it. It flickers with a graphical artifact and then turns black. It's as if it can't handle processing 4k video for long. If I switch it back to 1080p it doesn't show this issue. I'm going to test it with my AppleTV to see if the same issue arrises (mainly because the Xbox has given me problems in other places and I wouldn't be surprised that two fickle machines make the experience as bad as it is).

I know it sounds like I'm moving the goal posts on my critique of this projector. I have had it less than a month, and used it very lightly. I'm just finding out bugs as I turn on different options. I kinda think that turning on 4k with a 4k projector is...somewhat suspicious.

I don't know how you're installing apps from GitHub - I have not rooted the FengMi - it's basically stock.

Last edited by Marc Streeter; 12-31-2019 at 02:06 PM. Reason: clarity
post #145 of 181 Old 12-31-2019, 02:24 PM

I play my xbox one X for hours using this projector.
I did used to get dropouts though.
Are you using an AV receiver to send signals to both a tv and projector?
I think I had to change some setting on the xbox to stop the dropouts.
I will let you know what my settings are after this New Years bollox is over and done with
btw happy new year everyone lol
post #146 of 181 Old 12-31-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco74 View Post
Are you using an AV receiver to send signals to both a tv and projector?
Hey disco74 thank you for the offer - very much appreciated. Currently I'm plugging the Xbox One X directly to the projector.
post #147 of 181 Old 01-01-2020, 03:50 PM

with panasonic ub420 and denon x3500, playing 4k content, i was only able to get 4k 24p, but not 4k 60p. i tried connecting the fengmi directly and passthrough. does anybody have the same issue?
post #148 of 181 Old 01-02-2020, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
with panasonic ub420 and denon x3500, playing 4k content, i was only able to get 4k 24p, but not 4k 60p. i tried connecting the fengmi directly and passthrough. does anybody have the same issue?

I'm having a similar, but different issue. I'm using a 1st gen Roku Ultra and can get it to register as 4k60, but cannot get 4k60 HDR to work. I can however get 4k30 HDR to work though in the settings, but the netflix app on the roku will only play HD. Haven't tried amazon prime yet.
post #149 of 181 Old 01-02-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuber80 View Post
I'm having a similar, but different issue. I'm using a 1st gen Roku Ultra and can get it to register as 4k60, but cannot get 4k60 HDR to work. I can however get 4k30 HDR to work though in the settings, but the netflix app on the roku will only play HD. Haven't tried amazon prime yet.
I was able to get 4K HDR @ 60hz working on my 1st gen Roku Ultra. I would try a different cable (8K and shorter than 10feet just be on the safe side) and make sure you've got the latest version of software for your ROKU. I've had a lot of issues resolved with 8K HDMI cables. I used to routinely get 2.2 erros and video drop out with other 4K certified high speed cables.
post #150 of 181 Old 01-02-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Ok so first many thanks to disco74. I was able to improve the image. It's still not 4k, but meh I'm done venting for the day.

The video I'm using is from Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlLFOrWvY_M
I got similar results on my PC and Roku Ultra using that youtube vid, but I wouldn't use that test as a good example of what it really means because no one watches test images.

Here are the "Microscope" pics I used in my decision to buy the Fengmi 4K cinema knowing it was using a .47 DLP chip with XPR/e-shift

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page