Fengmi (峰米) Laser 4K Cinema - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 207 Old 01-20-2020, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
aerodynamics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 136
@Casey_Bryson or anyone else with this projector:

I just ordered one of these to replace a 1080p Viewsonic PX800HD. Looking forward to the resolution bump. I plan to root the OS to lower the input lag for gaming. Just wondering how stable/reliable the Fengmi has been so far, whether rooted or not? One thing I really like about the Viewsonic is that it has been rock solid. It's the only thing in my entire AV setup that has never given me problems. I fire it up and it never glitches, freezes, has sync issues, never have to power cycle, etc. It just works.

Chiq B5U | 100” Snowhite UST Screen | Pioneer Elite LX-503 | 7.2.4 Surround | Sony Core Series LCR + Atmos | Cambridge Min 12 Side Surrounds | Monoprice Rear Atmos Surrounds | Bic V1020 x2
aerodynamics is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 207 Old 01-22-2020, 06:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Casey_Bryson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by disco74 View Post
I just wanted to thank Casey_Bryson for posting his picture settings.
I have been a little underwhelmed by my projector recently but I used his settings and now I think it looks great.
Glad the settings worked out for you Disco'

I'm always tinkering with my settings based on content and find myself lowering my Saturation from 63 to 58.

Something I haven't mentioned is that with
HDR content mastered around 10000 nits you have to drop the brightness and contrast each 5 to 10 notches. If mastered around 4000 then I just drop the contrast 5 to 10. Most content is mastered around 1000 and I find myself bumping up the brightness and contrast 5 or 10.

Before I bought the projector I thought having to adjust the settings so much would drive me crazy, but I've found that I get a little more precision this way than with my TCL 6 series that has a million memory settings for Dolby Vision, HDR, etc...Plus I've since bought a Harmony Elite that I use macros with to make those 5 to 10 adjustments with a single press of a button.
Casey_Bryson is offline  
post #183 of 207 Old 01-22-2020, 07:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Casey_Bryson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerodynamics View Post
@Casey_Bryson or anyone else with this projector:

I just ordered one of these to replace a 1080p Viewsonic PX800HD. Looking forward to the resolution bump. I plan to root the OS to lower the input lag for gaming. Just wondering how stable/reliable the Fengmi has been so far, whether rooted or not? One thing I really like about the Viewsonic is that it has been rock solid. It's the only thing in my entire AV setup that has never given me problems. I fire it up and it never glitches, freezes, has sync issues, never have to power cycle, etc. It just works.
Congrats aerodynamics! I've noticed you started the Optoma P1 thread so this must be a long time coming.

I've had the Fengmi for a little over 6 months and I haven't had any big issues. In that same time I've had two brand new Denon receivers go bad...believe it or not. I am fairly active on most related forum boards and haven't seen any of the Mijia issues make their way over to the Fengmi, but I'm sure there will be DLP chip issues at some point down the line for some since it's bound to happen based on the millions of other products based on the chip.

Smaller issues I have been able to work around include audio sync issues with pcm/bit stream via the toslink/ fiber port and color space issues in 3D mode. I purchased a receiver to bit stream the audio over HDMI and the color space issues in 3D seem to be mitigated by turning the 3D off and on again or feeding it a 4K signal for 3D...more to come on the 4K bit.

Another small thing that hasn't been mentioned anywhere (and maybe I'm the only one seeing it, but I doubt it) is the exhaust heat that blocks the light to the screen briefly. It is best seen on a white image. I hardly ever notice it in normal viewing but it's there.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Last edited by Casey_Bryson; 01-28-2020 at 03:11 PM.
Casey_Bryson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #184 of 207 Old 01-23-2020, 01:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey_Bryson View Post
Glad the settings worked out for you Disco'

I'm always tinkering with my settings based on content and find myself lowering my Saturation from 63 to 58.

Something I haven't mentioned is that with
HDR content mastered around 10000 nits you have to drop the brightness and contrast each 5 to 10 notches. If mastered around 4000 then I just drop the contrast 5 to 10. Most content is mastered around 1000 and I find myself bumping up the brightness and contrast 5 or 10.

Before I bought the projector I thought having to adjust the settings so much would drive me crazy, but I've found that I get a little more precision this way than with my TCL 6 series that has a million memory settings for Dolby Vision, HDR, etc...Plus I've since bought a Harmony Elite that I use macros with to make those 5 to 10 adjustments with a single press of a button.
May I ask how you managed to program the Fengmi to your Logitech remote. Mine could not find the manufacturer so I could not set it up?
disco74 is offline  
post #185 of 207 Old 01-23-2020, 03:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Casey_Bryson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Use "Nvidia Shield" for the Fengmi projector. It shares many of the same control commands for the Harmony remote.
Casey_Bryson is offline  
post #186 of 207 Old 01-23-2020, 11:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey_Bryson View Post
Use "Nvidia Shield" for the Fengmi projector. It shares many of the same control commands for the Harmony remote.
cheers buddy. ill give it a shot
disco74 is offline  
post #187 of 207 Old 01-24-2020, 06:00 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a unstable image once using HDMI connection to my projector. No root, HDMI 2.0 cable in use, connected to Xbox One X or PC.

https://youtu.be/MrZTrjdcrHU

Could you please help on how to solve it?
Encrypton is offline  
post #188 of 207 Old 01-24-2020, 04:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Casey_Bryson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encrypton View Post
I have a unstable image once using HDMI connection to my projector. No root, HDMI 2.0 cable in use, connected to Xbox One X or PC.

https://youtu.be/MrZTrjdcrHU

Could you please help on how to solve it?
Have you tried all three HDMI inputs? Does it happen with the internal media player? Does it happen with lower bandwidth content like 1920x1080p 60hz or higher bandwidth only? If IT only happens with higher bandwidth like 4k, try an 8k cable or lower your chroma to 4:2:0 and color to 8 bit and a lower frame rate like 30hz and under just to help with trouble shooting between a cable/bandwidth/source issue.

There is a similar issue that happens with forcing 4K in the android UI. If resetting didn't help, try updating.
Casey_Bryson is offline  
post #189 of 207 Old 01-25-2020, 07:18 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
First of all thanks for your answer. It happens only using external HDMI inputs. With the internal media players works flawlessly. I have the problem also lowering the resolution of my Xbox one X to 1080p.

I notice that if I reduce the frame rate through pc connection (e.g. 25p), the problem appears less frequently.

How can I solve it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey_Bryson View Post
Have you tried all three HDMI inputs? Does it happen with the internal media player? Does it happen with lower bandwidth content like 1920x1080p 60hz or higher bandwidth only? If IT only happens with higher bandwidth like 4k, try an 8k cable or lower your chroma to 4:2:0 and color to 8 bit and a lower frame rate like 30hz and under just to help with trouble shooting between a cable/bandwidth/source issue.

There is a similar issue that happens with forcing 4K in the android UI. If resetting didn't help, try updating.
Encrypton is offline  
post #190 of 207 Old 01-25-2020, 07:25 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am currently running the MIUI 1.3.105

How can I update it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey_Bryson View Post
Have you tried all three HDMI inputs? Does it happen with the internal media player? Does it happen with lower bandwidth content like 1920x1080p 60hz or higher bandwidth only? If IT only happens with higher bandwidth like 4k, try an 8k cable or lower your chroma to 4:2:0 and color to 8 bit and a lower frame rate like 30hz and under just to help with trouble shooting between a cable/bandwidth/source issue.

There is a similar issue that happens with forcing 4K in the android UI. If resetting didn't help, try updating.
Encrypton is offline  
post #191 of 207 Old 01-28-2020, 10:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey_Bryson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarn View Post
I still could not get 4k 60p. I turned on HDMI 2.0 in the projector. I was able to set 4k 60p in the Panasonic ub420 with the new cable. I tried connecting the Panny directly to the projector instead of through Denon x3500 avr. I tried playing Martian and Revelant. HDR is on. Still, I only got 4k 24p in BT2020. Not sure why.
try another source if you have one.
Thank you @Casey_Bryson ! I switched the cables to monoprice certified, and downloaded some demo clips from demolandia. I can confirm now the output from Panny ub420 (playing from usb) is 4k/60p HDR 4:2:0 12bit.
Casey_Bryson likes this.
aarn is offline  
post #192 of 207 Old 01-29-2020, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarn View Post
Thank you @Casey_Bryson ! I switched the cables to monoprice certified, and downloaded some demo clips from demolandia. I can confirm now the output from Panny ub420 (playing from usb) is 4k/60p HDR 4:2:0 12bit.

The ub420 should be capable of 4k/60p HDR 4:2:2 12bit.
qoopy is offline  
post #193 of 207 Old 01-29-2020, 11:26 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by qoopy View Post
The ub420 should be capable of 4k/60p HDR 4:2:2 12bit.
You are right. According to the playback info, the HDMI video output is 4k/60p HDR/BT.2020 4:2:2 12bit, but the projector displays at 4k/60p HDR/BT.2020 4:2:0 10bit.

By the way, I used to think the image from playing 4k discs was darkish, but the demo images look almost too bright. Does anybody else feel the same?

Last edited by aarn; 01-29-2020 at 11:31 AM.
aarn is offline  
post #194 of 207 Old 02-02-2020, 11:08 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello guys, i used my projector for couple days and today i noticed next problem, on black screen two white lines, i can notice them only on black screen. Smb had this problem or it's maybe problem with projector optics? You can see it on attached foto. Sorry for my bad english .

By the way 4k 60hz works perfect with simple chinese HDMI 2.0 cables.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	798.9 KB
ID:	2679314   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	544.5 KB
ID:	2679316  
Is4x is offline  
post #195 of 207 Old 02-03-2020, 08:37 PM
Newbie
 
Licha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Canada
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting one.

Does anyone know what are the differences (if any at all) with the 'New 2020' version?
Licha is offline  
post #196 of 207 Old 02-06-2020, 04:17 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licha View Post
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting one.

Does anyone know what are the differences (if any at all) with the 'New 2020' version?
It is claimed on seller web sites that the new device is white instead of black and produces a brighter picture with 2500 lumens instead of 1700. There might be no other differences.

As far as I know nobody succeeded in knowing the device number, how the brighter picture is produced, and what color wheel is used. So it seems currently not known whether the picture is really brighter and whether it is detrimental to something such as color accuracy, or whether it is just a nice bonus without cost on picture quality.

Last edited by teachsac; 02-07-2020 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Deal's talk
mpiter is offline  
post #197 of 207 Old 02-07-2020, 02:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Casey_Bryson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpiter View Post
It is claimed on seller web sites that the new device is white instead of black and produces a brighter picture with 2500 lumens instead of 1700. There might be no other differences.

As far as I know nobody succeeded in knowing the device number, how the brighter picture is produced, and what color wheel is used. So it seems currently not known whether the picture is really brighter and whether it is detrimental to something such as color accuracy, or whether it is just a nice bonus without cost on picture quality.

There are currently nice discounts for Saint-Valentin's day.
Per Nothing but label it's the same lumens just a different color:

Casey_Bryson is offline  
post #198 of 207 Old 02-07-2020, 06:30 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
It looks like guys from Nothing But Label do not know what they are doing;
  • The Xiaomi 4K provides a 4-point keystone;
  • Many people can see the difference between 1080p and 4K at four meters;
  • They poorly calibrated the A300 provided 1900 lumens while it is possible to achieve the same calibration quality with 2500 lumens (passionhomecinema.fr/blog/index.php/23/10/2019/test-wemax-a300-4k-second-round/);
  • The A300 is less sharp then its competitors, maybe due to another optical bloc (passionhomecinema.fr/blog/index.php/01/11/2019/test-wemax-a300-4k-lavis-de-gregory/).

And what about the new Fengmi. Did they really measure the brightness? I do not trust the technical expertise of those guys.
mpiter is offline  
post #199 of 207 Old 02-10-2020, 04:59 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Its just a new color everything else remains same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licha View Post
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting one.

Does anyone know what are the differences (if any at all) with the 'New 2020' version?
I checked with seller on Alibaba they said it's exact same model in white color
Sunil Bathini is offline  
post #200 of 207 Old 02-27-2020, 05:30 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone know how to turn off eye protect?
Is4x is offline  
post #201 of 207 Old 03-18-2020, 05:53 AM
Member
 
JarkkoS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Salo, FINLAND
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. I haven't been lurking here for a long time but now when I ordered the Fengmi 4K UST projector (black / gray) I'm here to suck all the information. I also ordered 100" ALR screen from XY screens and I wonder if the recommended picture settings are optimal for XY screens PET crystal screen?
The only thing that worries me is the possible coil whine, otherwise I'm waiting for huge improvement compared to my present 55" UHD Samsung tv.

Last edited by JarkkoS; 03-18-2020 at 11:49 AM.
JarkkoS is offline  
post #202 of 207 Old 03-22-2020, 03:44 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Use it in highlight mode and you will not hear coil-whine.
ZX_DIO is offline  
post #203 of 207 Old 03-30-2020, 11:52 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi All, I have an issue with this Fengmi 4K projector. Whenever i switched on, the LED light blinks but the laser light doesn't come on.
It seems to be running but the light isnt working. Anyone know how to resolve this?

Thanks all.
Robin Boh is offline  
post #204 of 207 Old Today, 04:51 AM
Member
 
JarkkoS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Salo, FINLAND
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there anyone here who has recently ordered Fengmi from Banggood and lives in Europe? I'm just wondering how long the EU Priority Line shipping usually takes.
I have the screen installed but it looks so lonely without projector My shipping date was 18.3. but Banggood's tracking shows that the parcel hasn't arrived to the Europe yet...
JarkkoS is offline  
post #205 of 207 Old Today, 06:47 AM
Newbie
 
candymanlux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Luxembourg (EU)
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkkoS View Post
Is there anyone here who has recently ordered Fengmi from Banggood and lives in Europe? I'm just wondering how long the EU Priority Line shipping usually takes.
I have the screen installed but it looks so lonely without projector My shipping date was 18.3. but Banggood's tracking shows that the parcel hasn't arrived to the Europe yet...
Hi. I ordered the FengMi White Color on 10.03 and got it delivered today 02.04 in Luxembourg. No changes in the tracking information until it reached the Belgian warehouse this morning ... so if my delivery time is any indication, you should get yours by end of next week. Now need to set it up with my screen (which dropped yesterday ;-).
candymanlux is offline  
post #206 of 207 Old Today, 07:11 AM
Member
 
JarkkoS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Salo, FINLAND
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by candymanlux View Post
Hi. I ordered the FengMi White Color on 10.03 and got it delivered today 02.04 in Luxembourg. No changes in the tracking information until it reached the Belgian warehouse this morning ... so if my delivery time is any indication, you should get yours by end of next week. Now need to set it up with my screen (which dropped yesterday ;-).
Ok. Thanks for the information. Let's hope that next week is gonna be the Fengmi- week
JarkkoS is offline  
post #207 of 207 Old Today, 08:29 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Around 3 weeks indeed


Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Doncalitri is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off