Fengmi (峰米) Laser 4K Cinema - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #211 of 226 Old 04-19-2020, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I got my Fengmi last friday and I have to say that the first impression is "WOW!" The picture looks just amazing on a 100" XY Screens PET crystal screen. I'm not a pixel peeper, I watch movies and for that this projector is great. I use Xiaomi Mi TV box S as a source and it looks like the projector automatically detects HDR because I haven't done any picture adjustments for SDR and HDR content, both look good to me (same picture settings).
Casey_Bryson and Doncalitri like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 226 Old 04-22-2020, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just got my Fengmi yesterday but I'm having trouble with ARC. When I play a movie with Dolby digital or DTS or other digital sound it's over a second wrong. When I play a pcm it's ok. I have a Nvidia shield tv and a Onkyo TX-NR636. Any suggestions? I have activated HDMI 2.0
post #213 of 226 Old 04-25-2020, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
SEARCH IN THE CURRENT
AND SHOW ME
Load Previous
John Molino
Join: Jul 2018

Apr 17, 2020 · #81
VAVA 3d With The New Firmware Update
So, I installed the latest firmware update, on 4/17/20. The 3d functionality appears to be there. I loaded a 3d blu ray and was able to get the screen to a top/bottom format. I tried my active shutter dlp glasses, but they don't seem to work. These are the glasses I use with my Optoma project. I'm wondering if anyone has tried the 3d yet and if they were successful in using it? Also, if there's any information about the type of glasses to use, please.

Thanks for any info!
John
klas
AVS Forum Special Member
Join: Aug 2005
Mentions: 2

Apr 18, 2020 · #82
Omg they added 50hz support with latest firmware 1.64. Does this mean 24Hz content will not have judder? I just upgraded and I see toggle in the menu which requires reboot.
Post Edited
Last edited by klas - Apr 18, 2020
Rich Case
Join: Apr 2020

1 day ago · #83
John Molino said:
Original Post
So, I installed the latest firmware update, on 4/17/20. The 3d functionality appears to be there. I loaded a 3d blu ray and was able to get the screen to a top/bottom format. I tried my active shutter dlp glasses, but they don't seem to work. These are the glasses I use with my Optoma project. I'm wondering if anyone has tried the 3d yet and if they were successful in using it? Also, if there's any information about the type of glasses to use, please.

Thanks for any info!
John

Love to know how 3D works....... and what is needed
GregK
Advanced Member
Join: May 2001
Mentions: 1

1 day ago · #84
John Molino said:
Original Post

Thanks for any info!
John

Just double checking - your Optoma 3-D glasses are the DLP link type?

You might already know this but just in case: Optoma has made both RF and DLP Link types of 3D shutter glasses but the Vava would need DLP Link.
John Molino
Join: Jul 2018

about 21 hours ago · #85
GregK said:
Original Post
Just double checking - your Optoma 3-D glasses are the DLP link type?

You might already know this but just in case: Optoma has made both RF and DLP Link types of 3D shutter glasses but the Vava would need DLP Link.
@GregK

Yes, I was trying my Optoma ZD302 DLP glasses. I've been playing around with the VAVA all week. I've tried every setting type on my Sony 4k player for 3d, but nothing works. Also, I can hear the VAVA shifting from 2d to 3d, but only a SBS (two halves) display. And the colors are awful - almost green screen like. I wish VAVA would have supply some firmware notes.
GregK
Advanced Member
Join: May 2001
Mentions: 1

about 10 hours ago · #86
John Molino said:
Original Post
@GregK

Yes, I was trying my Optoma ZD302 DLP glasses. I've been playing around with the VAVA all week. I've tried every setting type on my Sony 4k player for 3d, but nothing works. Also, I can hear the VAVA shifting from 2d to 3d, but only a SBS (two halves) display. And the colors are awful - almost green screen like. I wish VAVA would have supply some firmware notes.

If you're trying SBS to TnB 3-D conternt vs framepacked 3-D bluray, make sure it's feeding into the projector at 60hz (aka: 59.94) and not at 24fps. At least with Optoma 3-D projectors models for the last couple of years SBS or TnB won't work at 23.976 /24 fps. I have to force my SBS media playback device (computer, bluray player, etc) into 60hz and then it works with that type of content every time. .Maybe double check that?
[email protected]
Join: 38 minutes ago

24 minutes ago · #87
I'm considering getting rid of my current setup and buying a vava or fengmi. My main concern is it's placement will be a very bright living room. Ideally straight onto a white wall so I can alter screen size depending on use.

Will my kids still be able to watch YouTube during the day with curtains open or will it be a complete no go. I can control the lighting but obviously like getting daylight into the room.

It's south facing. Currently with darker content, the tv is almost unwatchable unless brightness is turned way up. Cartoons and daytime footage is fine.

I think if I can still get away with the latter being viewable during daylight then its a no brainier buying one of these.

Will be replacing speakers and was going to bury the UST into a well vented new unit.

It doesn't have to be UST but didn't think I would have the same flexibility changing screen size with a regular short throw which I could place next to my sofa, again hidden in a unit.

Advice please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 226 Old 04-28-2020, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niclas Lagerström View Post
I just got my Fengmi yesterday but I'm having trouble with ARC. When I play a movie with Dolby digital or DTS or other digital sound it's over a second wrong. When I play a pcm it's ok. I have a Nvidia shield tv and a Onkyo TX-NR636. Any suggestions? I have activated HDMI 2.0
Don't use ARC for sound is my advice. I use it for HDMI-CEC and that's it; it powers on my receiver like it should. I had the exact same issue and ended up having to upgrade my receiver and run everything through it.
post #215 of 226 Old 04-28-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flomotion View Post
Hi!
I have a rooted Fengmi Laser 4k (the white one) and it seems not showing a 4k resolution. Only FullHD. Even if I force to render the UI in 2160p it stays the same.

I have connected a Xbox One X und a PS4 Pro. Both are running in 4k mode (HDMI 2.0 activated at the Inputs of the Fengmi) but the picture seems to stay in 1080p. I'm using very good 8k HDMI cables.

If I run a 4k test pattern it just shows a grey square where it should show 1pix lines. Also I can see the fine grid of the DLP chip. Normally you can't see this, if XPR shift is working.

I already did a complete reset, tested everything without rooting the device, rooted it again, etc...

Any ideas? I'm a bit frustrated...

Thank you!
Sorry you're having an issue. I can see the grid too though and it won't resolve to 1pt all the time--so no surprise there. Seems normal, but the force render of the UI in 2160p via 3.0 tools should be obviously different. I'm using google's launcher and when at 2160p the wallpaper/background image doesn't fill up the screen and is much finer.

Have you looked at the engineering menu for clues there? There are a few display tests you can run there. Seems hard to imagine that XPR isn't running as mine seems to be enabled even in 3D mode when I'm pushing a 2160/24p signal. If you hooked a PC up to it you might find it easier to tell what is going on since you can change the signal and resolution you send to it. You could also get a Roku Ultra and it will tell you what it's outputting at.

In my experience with an Xbox One it may see your projector as 4k and be in "4K' mode but not actually output a 4K signal. I didn't get around to seeing what was going on at the time since I was only testing my the differences between a few games on Xbox and PC and the PC version looked like 4K and the Xbox One clearly looked like 1080p. YMMV.
post #216 of 226 Old 05-08-2020, 01:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
post #217 of 226 Old 05-08-2020, 01:08 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdakingtamudo View Post
Congrats! Nice Room with lots of colors that pop! Now your furniture has some competition ;-)
post #218 of 226 Old 05-13-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey_Bryson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdakingtamudo View Post
Congrats! Nice Room with lots of colors that pop! Now your furniture has some competition ;-)
Thank you 🙂 it is a strong competitor indeed
post #219 of 226 Old 05-14-2020, 12:22 PM

Hello,

I've just get my Fengmi. And stuck with a problem, How to see 4k on it? I know it could sound funny, I installed Mx player on device and playing video UHD from Usb. In media info I see necessary resolution but picture looks like 1080p only or I'm I misled myself from start that it should be smooth at a close look on the screen. Am I doing something wrong? Or I should only use third-pard device to get real 4k picture on my projector? How can suggest .
post #220 of 226 Old 05-15-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Carlston View Post
Hello,

I've just get my Fengmi. And stuck with a problem, How to see 4k on it? I know it could sound funny, I installed Mx player on device and playing video UHD from Usb. In media info I see necessary resolution but picture looks like 1080p only or I'm I misled myself from start that it should be smooth at a close look on the screen. Am I doing something wrong? Or I should only use third-pard device to get real 4k picture on my projector? How can suggest .
I can't comment on Mxplayer. I'm pretty sure I've used the stock player to play a 2160p MKV of Marvle's Endgame without issue. But yeah...skip using the Android apps and use a Roku, ATV, or the newer Nvidia Shield. I think you can get a Roku (4K HDR capable) cheap as low as $30 and it will be miles ahead of what is included in any projector or TV that I'm aware of.
post #221 of 226 Old 05-19-2020, 06:51 AM

Quote:
I can't comment on Mxplayer. I'm pretty sure I've used the stock player to play a 2160p MKV of Marvle's Endgame without issue. But yeah...skip using the Android apps and use a Roku, ATV, or the newer Nvidia Shield. I think you can get a Roku (4K HDR capable) cheap as low as $30 and it will be miles ahead of what is included in any projector or TV that I'm aware of.
Thank you for your answer.

After spending whole weekends on forums. I've realized it is not a problem with content, but with the projector itself.
The problem called "Screen Door Effect", that was met on older or LCD projectors, but shouldn't be on DLP 4k. Anyway, it exists.
It is easily could be seen on a fragment of main menu.

Did anyone here meet the same issue on Fengmi or Xiaomi 4k?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6454.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	469.4 KB
ID:	2729060  
post #222 of 226 Old 05-20-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your answer.

After spending whole weekends on forums. I've realized it is not a problem with content, but with the projector itself.
The problem called "Screen Door Effect", that was met on older or LCD projectors, but shouldn't be on DLP 4k. Anyway, it exists.
It is easily could be seen on a fragment of main menu.

Did anyone here meet the same issue on Fengmi or Xiaomi 4k?
What size is your screen 150"? Even at that size I think it would be negligible. I think you have unrealistic expectations. Yes it exists but only at seating positions to close for comfort like 4 feet and closer. I haven't seen one pic out there that shows that it doesn't exist. It does not look like 1080p though...not even close. Not native 4K but only a hair less.
post #223 of 226 Old 05-21-2020, 01:17 AM

Quote:
What size is your screen 150"? Even at that size I think it would be negligible. I think you have unrealistic expectations. Yes it exists but only at seating positions to close for comfort like 4 feet and closer. I haven't seen one pic out there that shows that it doesn't exist. It does not look like 1080p though...not even close. Not native 4K but only a hair less.
it is a 100" screen, projection picture at about 97". I contacted to the Fengmi dealer, He confirmed I have a defective device.
Here is a close look to the problem if it interested for you youtube.com/watch?v=fmfntFacWxA
post #224 of 226 Old 05-22-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
it is a 100" screen, projection picture at about 97". I contacted to the Fengmi dealer, He confirmed I have a defective device.
Here is a close look to the problem if it interested for you youtube.com/watch?v=fmfntFacWxA
Oh wow! With the vid you can definitely tell that the XPS is not engaged! Those pixels are huge. Sorry you're having that issue. Never seen it before. Hope you get a replacement somehow. Keep us posted.
post #225 of 226 Old 05-24-2020, 03:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, Yesterday I got my projector, but is not working When I power on, there is no wlecome screen, and anything. Somebody had a simular problem? Help!
post #226 of 226 Old 05-28-2020, 12:47 PM

New Pro model available 5/2020 per vid. Updates: Higher ANSI Lumens 2400 Vs. 1700, New grill and new OS dubbed FengOS. Also "new chipset ( Amlogic T972 chip with a maximum clock frequency of 1.9GHz) comes with 63% more performance and 55% less power compared to the Amlogic T962 chip used in the previous model"

https://www.gizchina.com/2020/05/27/...799-yuan-1785/

Not bad, but I was hoping for something more. It seems like a better priced($1785 versus $2300) A300 with about same lumens, a new OS, and chipset that supports 8K decoding. Maybe there will be something else with the new OS or software that will make it worth the upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page