post #1 of 7 Old 06-16-2019, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Help mounting a projector

Folks,

I was asked to help a school mount a projector. There is currently a projector there and they bought a new one to replace it. The new projector is a Dell 7760 (5400 lumens laser). I don't know what the current projector is. But it is really dim.

I have a ton of experience mounting LCDs (have at least 40 installs under my belt) and I have had 4 projectors in my dedicated HT over the last 15 years, but they were all shelf mounts. I have never ceiling mounted a projector. The school sent me some pics of their existing projector. I am really looking for any help/advice with this. I am not sure how the new projector attaches to the existing mount.

I have attached the pics they sent plus a page from the new projector's manual.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dell Advanced Projector 7760_edited-1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	2580816   Click image for larger version

Name:	DellProjector1-page-001.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	695.9 KB
ID:	2580818   Click image for larger version

Name:	DellProjector2-page-001.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	565.6 KB
ID:	2580820   Click image for larger version

Name:	DellProjector3-page-001.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	864.4 KB
ID:	2580822   Click image for larger version

Name:	DellProjector4-page-001.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	802.7 KB
ID:	2580824  

Name:	DellProjector5-page-001.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	684.3 KB
ID:	2580826   Click image for larger version

Name:	DellProjector6-page-001.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	559.4 KB
ID:	2580828  

Last edited by DinoT; 06-16-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-17-2019, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoT View Post
Folks,

I was asked to help a school mount a projector. There is currently a projector there and they bought a new one to replace it. The new projector is a Dell 7760 (5400 lumens laser). I don't know what the current projector is. But it is really dim.

I have a ton of experience mounting LCDs (have at least 40 installs under my belt) and I have had 4 projectors in my dedicated HT over the last 15 years, but they were all shelf mounts. I have never ceiling mounted a projector. The school sent me some pics of their existing projector. I am really looking for any help/advice with this. I am not sure how the new projector attaches to the existing mount.

I have attached the pics they sent plus a page from the new projector's manual.

Thank you.
It's pretty straight forward.

You've got a Chief RPA projector mount. You're going to want to pick up the "Universal RPA Interface Bracket" SLB Series. That will attach to the Dell projector and in turn attach to the mount.

It's possible that the old custom projector bracket will or can be drilled to fit the new projector as well

Assembled together it will look like this:

Assuming the throw range/screen size and offset is comparable, you're good to go. If not you will have to move the down tube accordingly.
DinoT likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-17-2019, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
It's pretty straight forward.

You've got a Chief RPA projector mount. You're going to want to pick up the "Universal RPA Interface Bracket" SLB Series. That will attach to the Dell projector and in turn attach to the mount.

It's possible that the old custom projector bracket will or can be drilled to fit the new projector as well

Assembled together it will look like this:

Assuming the throw range/screen size and offset is comparable, you're good to go. If not you will have to move the down tube accordingly.
Thanks for the help!

I was really reading up on this last night. I had also emailed Chief tech support and they responded that they have a custom bracket for that projector. (SLB-315) I have a hard time justifying that as it is literally a small T shaped piece of metal that costs $122. I might go with the Universal SLBU because they can re-use that in the future.

I had considered making a quick template and drilling their existing mount but decided against it.

I want to say that the throw is good as I had used the projector calculator on projector central. I think I'll be ok with height as the projector has horizontal/vertical lens shift.

Thank you once again. I really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-17-2019, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoT View Post
Thanks for the help!

I was really reading up on this last night. I had also emailed Chief tech support and they responded that they have a custom bracket for that projector. (SLB-315) I have a hard time justifying that as it is literally a small T shaped piece of metal that costs $122. I might go with the Universal SLBU because they can re-use that in the future.

I had considered making a quick template and drilling their existing mount but decided against it.

I want to say that the throw is good as I had used the projector calculator on projector central. I think I'll be ok with height as the projector has horizontal/vertical lens shift.

Thank you once again. I really appreciate it.
Chief is arguably the best projector mount available but they aren't cheap. You buy it once and use if forever by just changing the bottom bracket or use the universal bracket.

Yep, the universal bracket is good for most installs. I don't like them if the projector is heaver and prefer the custom bracket as it tends to be more stable. The custom bracket lets you mount/dismount the projector quite easy and you usually don't disturb the alignment.

I wouldn't discount drilling the old mount either if you want to save some money. Sometimes you can find the universal bracket on ebay for a good price and on rare occasion I've found them on Craigslist dirt cheap.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-17-2019, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
Chief is arguably the best projector mount available but they aren't cheap. You buy it once and use if forever by just changing the bottom bracket or use the universal bracket.

Yep, the universal bracket is good for most installs. I don't like them if the projector is heaver and prefer the custom bracket as it tends to be more stable. The custom bracket lets you mount/dismount the projector quite easy and you usually don't disturb the alignment.

I wouldn't discount drilling the old mount either if you want to save some money. Sometimes you can find the universal bracket on ebay for a good price and on rare occasion I've found them on Craigslist dirt cheap.
If this were going in my home, I would drill the old mount. I am all about saving money. I've attached my DIY mount.
As for the school, I am so paranoid about something happening and then the school getting sued and/or me.
I've seen a few universal mounts on eBay but they seem to be missing parts.
I'll have to mull it over on which one to get. The Universal and custom are the same price. The projector is under 25lbs so I'd think that the universal would be fine. The universal should be faster to obtain. Chief said that the custom bracket are made to order. (They said it only adds 24 hours)

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181124_132717.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	469.9 KB
ID:	2581272  

Last edited by DinoT; 06-17-2019 at 06:02 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-18-2019, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2017 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
I wouldn’t hesitate on drilling the old mounting plate if the new holes fall on the flat area of the plate. I have never bought that plate to go with my chief mount instead I have just used a 1/8 thick piece of aluminum sheet I had over and over for new projectors by drilling new holes.

I take a sheet of paper and lay it against the projector and poke holes with a pencil for each mounting screw hole I want to use. I them make a line where the center line of the lens is on the new projector so it ends up being inline with the CL of the old projector.

I trust an altered plate more than I trust the universal arms, but actually for a 25# projector both will be fine.

Bud
post #7 of 7 Old 07-16-2019, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Folks thanks again for the help. I successfully mounted the projector for the school. We got the Chief universal bracket (as I was able to get a killer deal on a new one).

I have one more question. They have a wall plate (I think Extron) for switching inputs and turning the projector on/off. So the on/off buttons lower a screen and used to turn the old projector on/off. I am unfamiliar with how to do this. I am guessing that this was done through the RS-232. I plugged their existing RS-232 into the new projector but the on/off doesn't work from that wall panel. (Must use the remote). How can I "fix" this for them? Should there be a setting in the projector to enable this?

Thanks,
bud16415 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page