Trash-picked Christie LX400; now what? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-16-2019, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Trash-picked Christie LX400; now what?

I've always been interested in the world of projectors, but I've never had a chance to get into it because the cost is a bit much for my student budget. As if by miracle, this projector was sitting by my school's dumpster ready for disposal, and I picked it up. I don't know how its stats match up to anything else, but it looks alright, seeing its price from a few years back. It looked like a great way for me to enter this different realm of displays!

However, I soon found out why it had been left for the trash. It won't power on; no light, no fan, nothing. I like to do repairs myself and just wanted to know if anyone had any theories about it. Power supply, main board, some hidden switch I don't know? It didn't have the bulb with it, if that changes anything.

I have no idea if this is the right place to go, as I'm quite new here. I hope to be a contributing member of this community someday!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-16-2019, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2455 Post(s)
Liked: 1324
You'll be hard pressed to get a PJ setup for under $300 to $400 total even if you are 'cheaping' out, anything less just isn't worth it, get a TV instead.

Don't want to disappoint you, but it's not worth the cost of the lamps or the parts that would need to be replaced.
It's 1024x768 resolution.

Generally, to repair projectors (unless it's something simple), you need to have some pretty advanced electrical diagnostic skills, or an identical working model to go by.

You can get a refurbished Benq th670 for $350 and it will include the lamp, and it has a warranty.

https://www.benqdirect.com/th670-refurb.html

Otherwise, look for a used Optoma hd20 or similar model on Ebay, you can find them under $250 sometimes.
Also used Viewsonics (but riskier as you have to know what your buying), or used Acers (again risky).

For a projector screen, you can make a homemade screen by tacking Blackout Cloth to the wall (it's white not black).
This will cost you $20 to $30, and it will look just as good as a $500 screen. You will want to eventually frame it with some black material though.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 06-16-2019 at 04:24 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-16-2019, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11justsomekid View Post
I've always been interested in the world of projectors, but I've never had a chance to get into it because the cost is a bit much for my student budget. As if by miracle, this projector was sitting by my school's dumpster ready for disposal, and I picked it up. I don't know how its stats match up to anything else, but it looks alright, seeing its price from a few years back. It looked like a great way for me to enter this different realm of displays!

However, I soon found out why it had been left for the trash. It won't power on; no light, no fan, nothing. I like to do repairs myself and just wanted to know if anyone had any theories about it. Power supply, main board, some hidden switch I don't know? It didn't have the bulb with it, if that changes anything.

I have no idea if this is the right place to go, as I'm quite new here. I hope to be a contributing member of this community someday!

Hi,

The usual suspect is the ballast, but this isn’t more than speculation and not enough to spend more than $100 on a new ballast. If you’re really into fixing it, Why not look for the technician of your school and try to get some information about how the projector died?

Otherwise, you can put it on sale on eBay “as is”. It’s a fairly recent model and many of the parts are probably still good.

If you’re interested on used models from universities, the PT-DZ570U (or E if you’re in Europe) turns up on eBay often, and you can get one for as low as $100. It’s a FullHD machine with excellent color and sharpness, with a ton of high end features. I have one myself and would buy another one anytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page