Short Throw Projector Gaming Recommendation - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-25-2019, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Short Throw Projector Gaming Recommendation

Hi everyone !
I am looking for a short Throw Projector to mainly play video games (PS4, Switch) and watch Netflix. There is a big window in my rooom which doesn't let that much light through FYI.

I am simply looking for the following specs:
-short throw (or ultra short throw)
-low input lag
-1080p native res.
-quiet fans (small room)

I am not looking for anything fancy, my budget is approx. 600 dollars. I don't need 4k, 3D or other features.

Since I live in Japan, it's quite expensive to import Optoma and Viewsonic products. I am mainly looking at BenQ (MW 632ST) or LG (PF50KS/A) projectors.

Thanks in advance guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-25-2019, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 2638 Post(s)
Liked: 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awreeoh View Post
Hi everyone !

I am looking for a short Throw Projector to mainly play video games (PS4, Switch) and watch Netflix. There is a big window in my rooom which doesn't let that much light through FYI.

I am simply looking for the following specs:

-short throw (or ultra short throw)

-low input lag

-1080p native res.

-quiet fans (small room)

I am not looking for anything fancy, my budget is approx. 600 dollars. I don't need 4k, 3D or other features.

Since I live in Japan, it's quite expensive to import Optoma and Viewsonic products. I am mainly looking at BenQ (MW 632ST) or LG (PF50KS/A) projectors.

Thanks in advance guys!

I’m not familiar with either of those projectors. The BenQ looks like an older model and the LG— not familiar with it but going by other LGs my expectation is the lag would be really high.

For a short throw projector for gaming my absolute top recommendation is the BenQ HT2150ST. 16ms of lag combined with an RGBRGB colorwheel makes this one untouchable, IMO. It’s also a really good projector for sports and movies/theater use too.

If the HT2150ST is out of your price range or unavailable then I’d look at the BenQ TH671, Viewsonic PX706HD or Optoma GT1080Darbee. Of the three, I’ve only reviewed the BenQ (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...rs-thread.html) but all three have a great reputation and are well reviewed.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-25-2019, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for your reply! However they are quite above my budget and I don't mind getting an older product. Would you have other recommandations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-25-2019, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 2638 Post(s)
Liked: 2584
Short Throw Projector Gaming Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awreeoh View Post
Thanks for your reply! However they are quite above my budget and I don't mind getting an older product. Would you have other recommandations?

So the LG is a pico projector rated at 600 lumens. I would not recommend this projector unless portability is a primary concern. I also don’t think this classified as short throw?

The BenQ is 3200 lumens so at least you’ll be able to projector ‘projector’ size images. One quick note though: the 632ST isn’t 1080p. It’s a WXGA (1280x800) projector with a 16:10 aspect ratio. This is fairly common for business projectors which is what this is.

Then there is the question of input lag. Lag is a concern if you plan to use this for gaming. I can’t find specs on either projector. I’d be surprised is the LG was under 80ms if only because all LG projectors have featured a ton of lag. The BenQ... my guess is it’s somewhere between 32ms and 48ms. But that’s a GUESS based on similar models from BenQ.

So if I had to choose: the BenQ. But, honestly, if I had my choice I’d wait and save up some more cash or maybe look for something not short throw. An affordable DLP with 16ms of lag would be my target. Not sure what’s available in Japan but here in the states the Optoma 143x is a popular projector which has just about the lowest cost of entry for any of the major brands that still comes equipped with a 16ms game mode.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Last edited by sage11x; 06-25-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page