Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-25-2019, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Post Projector upgrade help

Hello all,

I have been a lurker for a long time for about 8 years or so. I believe I posted here a long time ago for my garage project and in projectorcentral. I have moved 3 years ago and setup the "cinema" in a game room inside the house (will post pictures). The issue is that I bought the BenQ W1080ST for the garage because of the distance to put the projector and I did not upgrade while moving to this house because it was still in good conditions. I did a gypsum board for the ceiling and wall with the BenQ W1080st in mind but I see that BenQ has not done a great replacement at short throw like this in a while (I'm looking to upgrade to 4k uhd). The W1080ST had a "Big Bada BOOM" last Friday after 6+ years of use and I bought the replacement lamp and it is on the way. I will be replacing and selling on ebay after making sure it works.

I am looking at the BenQ HT3550 but I think I will need the HT5550 for my environment. The current Benq is sitting at 7 feet 8 inches from the screen Electric125HT Elite Screen 125" in a hole in the ceiling. The problem I am facing is that the ceiling that we installed it's at 9 inches from the ceiling and the projector screen is at 8.4 inches (I could probably lower this in my electric elite screen I did something like this when I bought it). I was thinking of removing the light that it's at 14.4 feet and putting the new projector there and hope that I won't have any issues with the ceiling in the middle and the only projector capable of doing this will be the 5550. I can redo the whole ceiling "fascia gypsum board" again if that's needed but it's a little expensive here in Puerto Rico plus my wife won't be too happy about that too.

Currently, the room itself with no lights on it's dark even in the day as there are no windows near the room. We normally watch movies from Plex, netflix, amazon prime and some youtube videos for the kids.

Anyway, I'm looking for some recommendations or advice that you guys can give me! Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190625_194109.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	485.2 KB
ID:	2584504   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190625_194722.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	436.9 KB
ID:	2584506   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190625_194132.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	506.3 KB
ID:	2584508   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190625_194121.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	711.1 KB
ID:	2584510  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-25-2019, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked: 488
In my opinion you have two options. One is to wait until someone comes up with a short throw UHD projector and live with the BenQ for now if it comes back to life with the new lamp or redo the ceiling. I would wait for the dust to settle on 4K myself. I think any other solution would look odd with the ceiling the way it is.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 4 Old 06-26-2019, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you rekbones! I was talking to one of my friends to see if I can get that roof changed a little bit and make it longer to put a new projector and it's not as expensive as I thought. I was just checking the forum for both the 3550 and 5550 and it's a little scary for the 3550 with some of the issues the users are having. I don't have any 4k tv in my house yet but at least I have all of the components required to supply 4k receiver, cables, ps4, plex computer with nvidia 1080gtx, etc. Anyway, I'm still reading about the ht5550 if anyone have upgraded from an 1070 or 1080st let me know how it's going for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-26-2019, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked: 1151
The 4K projectors are a great way to go for first time purchasers, but I just don't know if it is worth it for those who have a good 1080p model which is already working fine. Be aware that since you've never used 4K, you will have to ensure proper cabling, suitable sources, a receiver which can handle things as well as the projector upgrade. So, it's not a one-trick solution.

I am in the wait and see what comes down the path in 2-3 years camp. Especially with the room already setup to support short throw as it is.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page