projector table/cabinet mount recommendations? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-25-2019, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
projector table/cabinet mount recommendations?

Hi,
I'm still planning the layout for my basement (already finished). The ceilings in the middle are quite low (80") as this is where the duct work and steel beam supports for the house are. If i ceiling mount a projector the screen will be too near the floor and not allow for a reasonable center channel mount. I am currently looking at the epson 5050ub or benq ht5550. Can anyone recommend a table mount or cabinet mount solution rather than a ceiling mount? I would strongly prefer to have the projector in some type of enclosure and not actually sitting on a table and i'm not sure if anyone makes something like this?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-25-2019, 11:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Liked: 493
The Epson 5050 has signifent lens shift so the projector can be anywhere from 46% of screen height above the screen to 46% below or anywhere between. With only 6 1/2 feet of ceiling height (is that even considered within code for habitable living space?) headroom clearance is your only concern. Consider mounting on a back wall or over a space where no one will be walking. Table mounting would be my last choice as no seating can be in front of the light cone.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 14 Old 06-26-2019, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply. I should explain a bit better. The ceiling height for much of the basement is 92", however, the middle of the basement room is 80" high due to the HVAC, etc. Unfortunately this section is where the projector would need to be mounted. I can mount the screen on a wall up to the 92" height but the projector itself would only be mounted at 80" (see pic). Im not worried about head clearance but didn't think I'd be able to project higher than the mount, correct?Click image for larger version

Name:	20190604_222657_1561565124132.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	2584662

Last edited by socwrkr; 06-26-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-26-2019, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by socwrkr View Post
...didn't think I'd be able to project higher than the mount, correct?
Incorrect.

Lens shift allows you to move the image up and down. In the case of both the BenQ HT5550 and the Epson 5050, the image can be shifted from above the top of the lens to below the bottom of the lens OR ANYWHERE BETWEEN.

So, if mounted at 80", the entire image could be projected on your ceiling, or slid down, as much as you want, until it is below the bottom of the lens, nearly touching your floor. The Epson has more lens shift and can probably put half the image on your floor.

Please look for some videos which describe what lens shift is.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-26-2019, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Incorrect.

Lens shift allows you to move the image up and down. In the case of both the BenQ HT5550 and the Epson 5050, the image can be shifted from above the top of the lens to below the bottom of the lens OR ANYWHERE BETWEEN.

So, if mounted at 80", the entire image could be projected on your ceiling, or slid down, as much as you want, until it is below the bottom of the lens, nearly touching your floor. The Epson has more lens shift and can probably put half the image on your floor.

Please look for some videos which describe what lens shift is.
Thank you for the reply. I am familiar with what lens shift is. Maybe my thinking is way off (hopefully it is) but what i'm trying to point out is that the projector will be mounted on part of the ceiling that is lower than the part the image will be projected on. Wouldn't the ceiling that it is mounted on get in the way of the projected image if i shift the image up (see photo)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190626_125946.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	391.0 KB
ID:	2584698  
post #6 of 14 Old 06-26-2019, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Thank you for the reply. I am familiar with what lens shift is. Maybe my thinking is way off (hopefully it is) but what i'm trying to point out is that the projector will be mounted on part of the ceiling that is lower than the part the image will be projected on. Wouldn't the ceiling that it is mounted on get in the way of the projected image if i shift the image up (see photo)?
I like that space better than mine! I would suggest looking for the HT3550 that has more short throw distance which at that 10 feet or so I guess will probably give you 100" to 125" with zoom. If you go with the other projectors then I can see what you mean especially if you go higher than 110".
post #7 of 14 Old 06-26-2019, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Yonuel View Post
I like that space better than mine! I would suggest looking for the HT3550 that has more short throw distance which at that 10 feet or so I guess will probably give you 100" to 125" with zoom. If you go with the other projectors then I can see what you mean especially if you go higher than 110".
I had the W1070 for years before I moved into this house a few months ago. I've been watching the threads on the ht3550 but it appears plagued with issues. I had considered that due to it's relatively short throw but, yes you are correct, anything 110" or more for a screen will require it to be mounted on the lower part of the ceiling. I was really hoping to have a 120" screen as that is what i've always used until now. With the Epson it would have to be mounted about 2' back on the lower part of the ceiling and so i worry that using lens shift would just cause the picture to be cut off by the ceiling (again, if i am wrong here, i really would love to know because i'd go that direction in a heartbeat if it wasn't going to be an issue). The basement is just being used for junk right now, i'll be converting it to a dedicated theater soon.
Thanks again for any advice/input.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-26-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
I had the W1070 for years before I moved into this house a few months ago. I've been watching the threads on the ht3550 but it appears plagued with issues. I had considered that due to it's relatively short throw but, yes you are correct, anything 110" or more for a screen will require it to be mounted on the lower part of the ceiling. I was really hoping to have a 120" screen as that is what i've always used until now. With the Epson it would have to be mounted about 2' back on the lower part of the ceiling and so i worry that using lens shift would just cause the picture to be cut off by the ceiling (again, if i am wrong here, i really would love to know because i'd go that direction in a heartbeat if it wasn't going to be an issue). The basement is just being used for junk right now, i'll be converting it to a dedicated theater soon.
Thanks again for any advice/input.
I am in the same boat as you I am looking to buy the 5550 due to that I won't have to do a lot of fix in my ceiling to make it work see my post from two days ago. I believe that you can do it with zoom but I am as well as you investigating if lens shifting or zooming will affect the performance. I remember that a couple of years ago 2012-13 this was something that was said about w1070/w1080st(what I have). Maybe someone will light us about this. I have seen a couple of users here with those projectors and the 5050 in a cabinet on top with the projector standing normal (obviously using lens shift).
post #9 of 14 Old 06-26-2019, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

So, is there a way to find out how much I'd be able to shift (up) vertically before the ceiling would get in the way of the image? The lower part of the ceiling that is 80" high starts 10' back from the wall that i would project the image onto. That wall is 92" high. Assuming, i'm able to mount the projector at a minimum of around 12' from the wall for a 120" screen, I would have a good 2' of the lower part of the ceiling to clear. I'm just wondering if that's doable? If not, then i'm likely forced to go the other route in which case i'd love to know if anyone has any recommendations for a table or cabinet mount.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-26-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
So, is there a way to find out how much I'd be able to shift (up) vertically before the ceiling would get in the way of the image? The lower part of the ceiling that is 80" high starts 10' back from the wall that i would project the image onto. That wall is 92" high. Assuming, i'm able to mount the projector at a minimum of around 12' from the wall for a 120" screen, I would have a good 2' of the lower part of the ceiling to clear. I'm just wondering if that's doable? If not, then i'm likely forced to go the other route in which case i'd love to know if anyone has any recommendations for a table or cabinet mount.
If you can find if the zoom and lens shift impact in anyway then it's possible zooming wide angle 1.30 acording to projectorcentral calculators. For the "120 display it will be at 9 feet 10 inches away. That means that you might not need too much zoom if you put it in the 80" ceiling and lens shift a little. The idea of the cabinet mount there are lots of ideas in pinterest I actually got mine from there but for the ceiling. It's important to note that being so low anyone walking will get on your nerves eventually. I would never be able to accomplish this with little kids.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-26-2019, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Some suggestions to find if the ceiling will be an obstruction. The top of the projector and mount will lower the lens of the projector below the ceiling at least 6" if not more. Just take a flash light and put it at about the same location of where the lens of the projector will be and see if it casts a shadow in the location where you want the screen. (a laser pointer will be more accurate if you have one). Dropping the projector lower will definitely give you enough clearance but as I said headroom clearance is the bigger issue. The Epson has more then enough lens shift and most likely the BenQ 5550 as the 3550 won't work.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #12 of 14 Old 06-26-2019, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
Some suggestions to find if the ceiling will be an obstruction. The top of the projector and mount will lower the lens of the projector below the ceiling at least 6" if not more. Just take a flash light and put it at about the same location of where the lens of the projector will be and see if it casts a shadow in the location where you want the screen. (a laser pointer will be more accurate if you have one). Dropping the projector lower will definitely give you enough clearance but as I said headroom clearance is the bigger issue. The Epson has more then enough lens shift and most likely the BenQ 5550 as the 3550 won't work.
Thank you, good points! I'm very hopeful i can accomplish this without table mounting. I really appreciate the response.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-26-2019, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Yonuel View Post
If you can find if the zoom and lens shift impact in anyway then it's possible zooming wide angle 1.30 acording to projectorcentral calculators. For the "120 display it will be at 9 feet 10 inches away. That means that you might not need too much zoom if you put it in the 80" ceiling and lens shift a little. The idea of the cabinet mount there are lots of ideas in pinterest I actually got mine from there but for the ceiling. It's important to note that being so low anyone walking will get on your nerves eventually. I would never be able to accomplish this with little kids.
I agree, and I do have kids and don't need any more reasons to yell at them, haha. I appreciate your replies and will keep you updated. Good luck on your projector shopping as well!
post #14 of 14 Old 06-27-2019, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
Quote:
Oh, you are talking about line of sight!

I think the laser pointer, as mentioned above is a great idea. The flashlight may work as well.

As string pulled from the top of the screen (image) location to about 6" below the top of the 80" section also will give you a sight line clearance.

What you are talking about, I've heard before, but the upward angle to the top of your screen should be very little and it only needs to clear the front edge of the ceiling, which will be a couple/few feet in front of the lens.

If the top of the screen is at 90" from the floor and the lens is at 74" and you have 144" from lens to screen, but only 24" from the lens to the edge of the lower section, then the image will rise 16" over the full distance from lens to screen.

2/12 (2 feet/12 feet) = 1/6. 16"*1/6= 2.7" of rise by the edge of the ceiling. So, you will have a bit over 3" to spare.

If you had it at 14 feet lens to screen, same measurements... 4/14 = 2/7. 16"*2/7 = 4.57" - so about 1.4" of clearance.

I'm assuming certain numbers and locations here, but hopefully you get the idea on the math itself and how to work things out... and that you really shouldn't have any issues with clearing the ceiling as the image travels upwards a bit.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page