Epson 8350 - Dual Red Warning Lights - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-28-2019, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Epson 8350 - Dual Red Warning Lights

Hell all. New to this forum and just recently took home an Epson 8350 for a friend of mine. They purchased a new bulb and after installing both red lights come on indicating Temperature and Bulb. The manual says, "contact Epson" which is no help at all as the projector is over 8 years old and very out of warranty.

I do like to tinker so I took the entire unit apart. Using my egg carton method of placing screws in each successive egg holder I was able top remove all of the components and get it back together.

I checked each of the fans using a 9 volt battery and all of them turned on. I believe the issue is with one of the sensors as the projector does the following:

1) Projector is all together and plugged in.
2) Switch power black switch (by the plug) to on
3) Blue lights on top of the panel (On/Off and Input) turns blue.
4) Bottom left (looking from rear with projector right-side up) fan makes a clicking noise and then turns on. Air is being sucked in through the input air flow.
5) After 10 - 20 seconds both red light indicators appear and then the other fans seem to turn on.

Are there any recommendations on how to test/bypass the fan sensors to see if the unit will function?

I did a lot of searching for repair manuals and could not find anything online, only the user manual, which I have and is pretty useless.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-28-2019, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Sounds like it was replaced with a knockoff bulb... Is it actually an epson bulb or 3rd party?
post #3 of 14 Old 06-28-2019, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 4491 Post(s)
Liked: 4109
Try putting the original lamp back in. It may be dim but if it works then you've narrowed it down to the new lamp, which is likely a cheap knock-off lamp. Projector electronics include a detection feature that will not allow the projector to operate unless a proper quality lamp is detected. In extreme cases a sub-standard lamp can damage the projector's electronic circuitry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-28-2019, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked: 1908
Quote:
Originally Posted by verderese View Post
Hell all. New to this forum and just recently took home an Epson 8350 for a friend of mine. They purchased a new bulb and after installing both red lights come on indicating Temperature and Bulb. The manual says, "contact Epson" which is no help at all as the projector is over 8 years old and very out of warranty.
As the previous contributor stated it's likely just an issue with the lamp. Post info on the lamp when you get a chance.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #5 of 14 Old 06-28-2019, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquepattern View Post
Sounds like it was replaced with a knockoff bulb... Is it actually an epson bulb or 3rd party?
I'm not sure as they gave me the projector with the lamp already installed. I will have to ask them.

Thanks for the reply.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-28-2019, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

It appears that it is a "Made in China" lamp. Duh for me for not checking the obvious first.

The lamp also has a rattle in it when you rotate it around. Not a good sign.
It has the following info on it:
Type: 49
150W - 200W
LCP-GF40 (assume the model #)
Made In China (really bad sign)

Please see photos below.

Would have saved me a tone of taking the projector apart and putting it back together.

Do you folks recommend a place to get genuine lamps?

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6036.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	698.4 KB
ID:	2585234   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6034.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	810.1 KB
ID:	2585236   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6033.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	843.2 KB
ID:	2585238   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6035.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	803.2 KB
ID:	2585240  
post #7 of 14 Old 06-29-2019, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked: 1908
Quote:

Do you folks recommend a place to get genuine lamps?
For $332:

https://epson.com/Accessories/Projec...b/p/V13H010L49

For $249:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._Lamp_for.html

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #8 of 14 Old 06-29-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
It appears that it is a "Made in China" lamp. Duh for me for not checking the obvious first.
Actually they all are made in china so that doesn't really mean anything. A genuine Epson lamp will have a Epson serial# on it.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/BenQ 3550 Projectors, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Denon 4500H with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains, SVS PB2000, 3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #9 of 14 Old 06-29-2019, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Very much appreciate all of the insight. I will ask my buddy what he wants to do.

A shame that they are all made in China. I am willing to pay more for those made in the USA but that is a topic for another forum!
post #10 of 14 Old 06-29-2019, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 4491 Post(s)
Liked: 4109
The actual Epson identification number for the 8350 replacement lamp is ELPLP49. However, even the cheapest knock-off lamp makers can print that on their replacement lamps no matter how out of spec they may be. So the only way to be sure you're getting a quality lamp is to buy from a reliable source. Unfortunately older projector replacement lamps tend to be more expensive. Epson sells a genuine ELPLP49 direct for $331.99, which is a lot of money to pay for a lamp for an 8-year-old projector. By comparison Epson sells genuine replacement lamps for current model projectors comparable to the 8350 for <$100. That's what causes many people to buy cheap "compatible" replacement lamps for older projectors or just bite the bullet and buy a new projector. Even a reliable low-cost vendor like B&H charges nearly $300 for a genuine ELPLP49.
post #11 of 14 Old 08-05-2019, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My bulb went out last week. I came across jaspertronics.com, they have three options original epson ($199), original lamp ($73) and aftermarket option ($30) and claim to stand behind their product. I ordered the $73 version with the original lamp. Lets see how it goes ...
post #12 of 14 Old 08-06-2019, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by adahm View Post
My bulb went out last week. I came across jaspertronics.com, they have three options original epson ($199), original lamp ($73) and aftermarket option ($30) and claim to stand behind their product. I ordered the $73 version with the original lamp. Lets see how it goes ...
I just went to that site, even the OEM lamps were cheaper. Thank you for mentioning the website, let us know if they're any good.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-07-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrbrass View Post
I just went to that site, even the OEM lamps were cheaper. Thank you for mentioning the website, let us know if they're any good.
The bulb came in today, ordered on Sunday, I say 3rd business day for free shipping is awesome. Its installed and I must say the projector picture is bright, in fact I feel the image is sharper.

Looks identical except a couple of markings on the housing and bulb. Even the material of the housing looks the same. I got a 10% discount on the order. If you go to the jaspertronics home page you can find the code in the text so actually paid around 65 and change with free shipping.

The original bulb is marked Epson 200W-80V. The one jaspertronics is osram 200W-75V. Dont if that makes a difference.

I vacuumed the lamp well out to get any glass specs out due the exploded bulb and installed the new one. Also vacuumed the filter. The projector looked fairly clean inside.

On the first try I heard a crunch as I was screwing it in, plugged the projector in and turned it on but I got the red lamp led flashing after a couple of minutes and my heart sank.

I took the lamp out again and upon inspection noticed one of pins in the connector had pushed in, so pulled it out and raised the latch on the pin a bit more and reinstalled the pin in the connector socket. This time when I installed the lamp in the projector I pushed it all the way in to feel the connector engage before tightening the screws. The lamp fired up right away and I am back in business.

I don't see any discoloration, whites are bright white, no convergence issues, black screen does not look totally black, but I dont think it ever did. I do see a couple of 4"x4" spots with a faint green hue on black screen which I think are dust blobs.

I must say it been a while since I had a fresh bulb and it's hard to compare to when I got the projector originally almost exactly 7 years ago.

Maybe I'll post some pictures here for comment or maybe make a new thread.

I will dig around for best settings for a dedicated dark room, before I take the pictures.

If anyone has these handy pls feel free to PM me or post them right here.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #14 of 14 Old 08-07-2019, 10:59 PM

Here are some shots after using projector review calibration settings and then making some adjustments using screen test app on fire tv

Settings for Dynamic and Cinema modes on Eco

I am happy with lamp as it is currently. Now let's hope it lasts.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page