projector for gaming sports movies - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #31 of 35 Old 07-05-2019, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by rio72 View Post
So I started doing some calculations for the 2050a and one thing has been bugging me. So with a 131.5 inch wide screen, the viewing distance should be about 14-17 feet, based on 1.25 or 1.5x screen width. I know you can play around and find the optimal distance, but I'm using this as a reference point. The throw distance should be 14′-2″. So the projector could potentially be in front of my couches. Would this be a problem?
what's your ceiling height?

I have a W1070 ceiling mounted (9ft ceiling) directly over our seating area in our vacation home and, while the W1070 is certainly audible in Smarteco, I don't find it to be a problem, however I might think differently with an 8ft ceiling, but I doubt it, since our other two projectors (HC2030/HC1040) are at 8ft (and in front/above a seating area) and it's not a problem. OTOH, our UHD50 sits on a shelf, under a coffee table and is less than a foot from a seat, and it is inaudible, even with no sound on.

I find a 127in wide image quite acceptable, albeit too small, when viewed at 12ft.
sage11x likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 07-05-2019, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Quote:
So I started doing some calculations for the 2050a and one thing has been bugging me. So with a 131.5 inch wide screen, the viewing distance should be about 14-17 feet, based on 1.25 or 1.5x screen width. I know you can play around and find the optimal distance, but I'm using this as a reference point. The throw distance should be 14′-2″. So the projector could potentially be in front of my couches. Would this be a problem?
what's your ceiling height?

I have a W1070 ceiling mounted (9ft ceiling) directly over our seating area in our vacation home and, while the W1070 is certainly audible in Smarteco, I don't find it to be a problem, however I might think differently with an 8ft ceiling, but I doubt it, since our other two projectors (HC2030/HC1040) are at 8ft (and in front/above a seating area) and it's not a problem. OTOH, our UHD50 sits on a shelf, under a coffee table and is less than a foot from a seat, and it is inaudible, even with no sound on.

I find a 127in wide image quite acceptable, albeit too small, when viewed at 12ft.
Ceiling is 10 feet high.
post #33 of 35 Old 07-05-2019, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Quote:

That’️s actually one of the points of the HT2050A— it offers a shorter throw to squeeze a larger screen from a smaller space. Most DLPs will work on a table out in front of your seat or mounted to the ceiling. The only issue is you might notice the projector more if it’️s out in front than tucked away behind you.

There are models with a longer throw. Like the viewsonic 725, actually.
What would you say is the closest comparable to the 2050a that has a longer throw? Is it the 725? I was sold on the 2050a but I don’t want there to be an issue with the projector taking away from the immersion if it’s mounted in front of the couches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 35 Old 07-06-2019, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 2690 Post(s)
Liked: 2659
projector for gaming sports movies

Quote:
What would you say is the closest comparable to the 2050a that has a longer throw? Is it the 725? I was sold on the 2050a but I don’t want there to be an issue with the projector taking away from the immersion if it’s mounted in front of the couches.

The HT2050A is pretty quiet... I had the Ht2050A mounted above and slightly in front of my seating before and it never bothered me. But if you want to get something that would mount behind you the 725 appears to be a nice projector and is probably the closest to the 2050a I terms of image due to it’s RGBRGB color wheel. I’ve not seen one in person and have yet to read a review of one but viewsonic has a solid reputation. Similar in price and features to the 725 is the Optoma HD27HDR. It is a gaming focused projector with a neat trick: it accepts 4K/HDR and displays it as 1080p. This gives it some added compatibility with premium video game consoles and other 4K sources. Like most Optomas this one uses a ‘brilliant color’ color wheel— I tend to prefer RGBRGB when possible as they are a bit more color accurate and are less susceptible to RBE. Still, it has garnered positive reviews and has a following here on the forum.
Another good option without giving up lens shift is the Epson 2150. I personally prefer DLP in this price range but the Epson is a solid choice that gets great reviews alongside the BenQ. It’s got some nice features for the price as well like MEMC and an auto iris. I recently recommended one for a family member who was really susceptible to RBE.

Again, I’d still personally go for the BenQ just because I think it’s the best value and best image in this price range. But any of the above will be in the same ballpark with a slightly longer throw.
noob00224 likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Last edited by sage11x; 07-06-2019 at 07:07 PM.
post #35 of 35 Old 07-06-2019, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Alternatively:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
A refurbished Epson 3100 from Epson's web sight might be a better option for about the same price as a new 2150. The 3100/3700 are the brightest projectors in this class, have fairly inexpensive lamps but not as cheap as the 2150 and have lots of lens shift for much easer placement flexibility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page